Nitrogen in trailer tires also all cars and trucks

Nitrogen in all tires will help to extend tire life by reducing premature failure of the tire. The causes of premature tire failure which are addressed by nitrogen include

under-inflation
    overheating
    pressure increase to heat buildup
    uneven wear due to improper inflation
    rim corrosion
    rubber deterioration by oxidation

Nitrogen is a dry, inert gas used to inflate airplane tires, off road truck tires, military vehicle tires, and race car tires for improved performance. Oxygen in compressed air permeates through the wall of the tire reducing the tiresinflation pressure. During its journy through the tire wall, oxygen oxidizes the rubber compounds in the tire, causing underinflation and deteriorated rubber. Dry nitrogen helps the tire to run cooler.

I have it now in my Triton trailer tires and truck. Tires run cooler and no loss of air presure. Cooler tires and pressure right less gas less chance of tire blowing out.
    Air can be added to nitrogen with no problems.

Goodyear in Indpls In. got me with this so others should also be able to help in the other states.

2. Member

Re: Nitrogen in trailer tires also all cars and trucks (TR22BILL)

Where can you get the nitrogen to fill your tires with?

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar

Most of the reasoning for using nitrogen in tires is not scientifically valid. You have to remember that the air we breathe is almost 80% nitrogen already, so the nitrogen itself isn't the big factor. The advantage comes from using something that has no moisture. The easiest source of low moisture compressed gas for most industries is dry nitrogen. If you have dry air available, you get about 99% of the benefits. The only thing you don't get with dry air is the fact that nitrogen won't support combustion and the oxidation of the tire wall from the inside, but I don't think that's a big deal in a normal road use.
    The lack of moisture gives you a more constant pressure, but the improvement is pretty small.
    Other than reactivity, nitrogen is very similar to oxygen physically, the atom is smaller (so would be the first to leak out), heat capacity is about the same.
    The idea of reducing oxidation of the tire from the inside is true, but I doubt very many tires last a tenth of the time required for this internal damage to have any effect.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Member

I would call a Goodyear dealer and see if they carry Nitrogen

I will stand by the cost which was only 16$ and that was also tire was balanced at road speed.
    I will be driving to Table Rock next week and will see how all pans out.

5. Member

Price Costco up here carry the nitrogen.

6. Member

Re: Nitrogen in trailer tires also all cars and trucks (AwesomeRanger)

I bought into all the hype last summer when my tire guy explained that tires run cooler, and leak down slower, so I had him do the 6 tires on my motorhome for $3 each.

1st thing I noticed is that the tires that "leaked down", continued to do so after my $18 investment.

I dont know if I saw any benifits at all from my $18 investment.

After I had him install long steel stems, my "leak downs" stopped, without using nitrogen.

I do not consider nitrogen to be benificial to me.

7. Member

Re: Nitrogen in trailer tires also all cars and trucks (phil*va)

Just got back from Table Rock will say at every stop checked tires they seemed to to be cooler than prior. I am not saying this is a perfect thing to do for everyone.
    The biggest tire falure is under inflation and I will stand by anything that helps.

Thank You

Bill