Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

which transom repair method?? (Vision restoration)

noticed jackplate digging in to transom after another horrifying windy trip to KY lake so I thought I would do a little red neck inginuity and add a backing plate to jack plate.. after I removed motor I found transom pretty well soaked and falling apart inside.

Modified by sandbarDan at 6:19 PM 10/26/2011

Re: which transom repair method?? (sandbarDan)

I figure I have 4 options

1. continue with red neck back yard aluminum reinforcement (temporary fix)

2. wait till who knows when for wood to dry out and inject some git rot or something to bring wood stiffness back.

3. cut off top of transom and pour in sea cast or something like it

4. go all the way take off top and replace with wood and glass, like some of these other brave souls in other threads.

I'm leaning towards going all out and replacing transom with marine ply and glass but dont want to bite off more than I can chew. Any opinios on which method I might go with: cost vs time and whatever. I'm not afraid of a challenge but dont want to make this a lifetime project..

Modified by sandbarDan at 5:27 PM 5/27/2011

any help or opinions apreciated

4. Member

A: I used seacast before and it worked great, the only hard part is cleaning all the old wood out of the transom...believe it or not an electric chainsaw works great.

B: Bud light is a better boat working on beer...stay away from the keystone ice.

I itch thefore I am

Re: which transom repair method?? (kingfisher85)

bud lite may have been a better decision as a am now dizzy and unable to continue restoration project.

the good news is it apears my stearing cables are long enough for a 24 inch jackplate

7. Member

I itch thefore I am

Re: which transom repair method?? (kingfisher85)

I see in that thread the sea cast cost about $500. Any idea how much the wood and glass would cost. I've seen $72. for a 8x4 x3/4 sheet of marine ply but how much resin and matt and whatever else would cost??

with the cost of gas these days I figure I can rebuild my whole boat for the price of a couple fishing trips...

You can look over this post for some ideas.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/zerothread?id=14109

Re: which transom repair method?? (Skeet'r89)

I know a lot of guys love Seacast and similar products..For me i went with wood after what seemed like reading the entire internet...I do not regret one minute of it and would do another wood transom in a minute

Check into Total beverages restores here on the board...You could do a transom that way without removing the entire cap..If not removing the cap from most boats besides Basscat is not as bad as you think...I did a bunch of modifications to mine while the cap was up and it was worth the peek seeing how my rig was assembled way back when

12. Member

Re: which transom repair method?? (JerryT)

From the look of that shape of your transom it looks like you could get to all of the wood for removal. It's going to be a pain no matter what you do. I agree with Jerry, do your research and decide what's best for you. The Seacast, Arjay, Nidabond type pourables have been used with success and would be a viable option for you. These products have even been used on offshore rigs with 250 hp motors hanging off the back. Some are just not comfortable going that route and prefer going back with wood. It's just a matter of personal comfort, preference, and in a lot of cases the design of the transom. When I did my Champion I went with Arjay and have been extremely happy with the results. Here is a link to my rebuild:
    http://www.bbcboards.net/zerothread?id=655230

Re: which transom repair method?? (Marooned)

think I'll go with the old wood and glass method. took apart more of the boat today and saw a big soggy mess all around the bilge area. going to have to redo all that with fiberglass and wood and foam. the seacast seems like a better option if all I had to do was replace transom but it looks like the best thing for me will be to take the top off and redo entire bilg area.

here is my nasty bilge, notice the boxed in area i tore apart with my bare hands, thin layer of glass, soggy thin wood and soggy foam

Modified by sandbarDan at 6:21 PM 10/26/2011

15. Member

Sounds like you've got potential rot down into the stringers then. Sorry to hear that. Yep, wood will probably be the best course of action in your case.

tore a bunch of oily nasty carpet outa there as well..why would you want a carpeted bilge area?

some of those stringers and knee braces are hallow and round on top.. the brace that goes across the transom had card board in it. guess i'll get it figured out when i get the top off..

My Dad had a Vision, hit a floating log and tore the bottom out of it, fiberglas was completely rotton!

Re: (ducker2)

I've seen about 4 in my area, only one other 185 like mine around here..starting to see why they went out of buisness..but then again mine is 20yrs old..I believe i could have kept going with it like it was with a little reinforcement..But these gas prices are so high and all the lakes here are either closed or super flooded right now. I figured it would be a good time to fix it up, hopefully it wont take me all year. I've barely started and already feel like I'm in over my head..

20. Member

Re: (sandbarDan)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by sandbarDan &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">I've seen about 4 in my area, only one other 185 like mine around here..starting to see why they went out of buisness..but then again mine is 20yrs old..I believe i could have kept going with it like it was with a little reinforcement..But these gas prices are so high and all the lakes here are either closed or super flooded right now. I figured it would be a good time to fix it up, hopefully it wont take me all year. I've barely started and already feel like I'm in over my head.. </td></tr></table>

my dad has 89 185 f\s..been used very little and always kept in side,they must have used pine in them ,his transom is solid now but all that is left of the floor is the glass layer,wood just decintegrated,not to mention the 2 times THEY did hull repair when he first bought it,began breaking in half where the casting deck goes across.that will be job,looking at dads looks like they glassed it together all the way around floor& under the consoles

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast