Thread: polisher

polisher

I started to wet sand my boat today and had real good results using onhtly 2000 grit and then using 3m perfect to polish it. My polisher is too old and slow so its time for a new one. Everyone is talking about harbor frieght having a polisher is this the right one? http://www.harborfreight.com/7....html
    Rob Rosencrans
    Denali Rods Pro Staff
    Cabin Creek Baits Pro Staff
    Gitzit Po Staff
    Mega Strike Pro Staff

Re: polisher (robertrosen)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by robertrosen &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">I started to wet sand my boat today and had real good results using onhtly 2000 grit and then using 3m perfect to polish it. My polisher is too old and slow so its time for a new one. Everyone is talking about harbor frieght having a polisher is this the right one? http://www.harborfreight.com/7....html</td></tr></table>

That one will work, or this one :

http://www.harborfreight.com/p....html

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar

Re: polisher (BASSCAT7)

That's the buffer but you need to get the pads to make the whole system work. That is the key.

4. Member

Whats the highest speed you guys use? I saw someplace that every boat is different. Where is a good starting point? Do you start half speed or full bore? thanks

Re: polisher (frankyfalco)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by frankyfalco &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">Whats the highest speed you guys use? I saw someplace that every boat is different. Where is a good starting point? Do you start half speed or full bore? thanks

</td></tr></table>

Unless you are experienced using a buffer with compound you want to start SLOW and get a feel for it before ramping up the rpm's.
    Depending on how bad the boat is, or how much sanding marks are left on the gel, you always want to start out slow so you don't sling the compound off before it gets spread onto the area you are covering.
    Once you have the compound spread and you are comfortable running it you can usually run around 2000 rpm for most applications.
    You have to keep the pad moving back and forth, not sit on one spot or it will start to burnish the gelcoat. Also don't let the pad run dry.
    Each boat is different, but the main part on speed is the operators experience using it.
    Once you get adjusted to the pull of the buffer and the pressure you need you'll be able to run it quicker without fear of burning the gel.

6. Member

Re: polisher (ChampioNman)

Not to hijack but I am working on removing some nicks and scratches and smoothing out my clearcoat also. After working a small area with 3m rubbing compound and then following up with 3m finesse-it II, I still see swirl marks and small scratches. This was all done by hand and not using a buffer...is that the problem here. Also what product is required to fill in the nicks (1/16"-1/8") in the clearcoat. I dont think I need to repair any of the metal flake and would just like to fill the voids. Please advise.

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by ChampioNman &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">That's the buffer but you need to get the pads to make the whole system work. That is the key. </td></tr></table>

That sounds like good advice. If I purchase this buffer or one similar, what pads are needed for this. Please provide product info.

Modified by Chico and the boys at 8:14 AM 3/16/2011
    Luther Cosner
    Chico and the boys
    2001 520vx Comanche
    225 Merc. Opti

7. Member

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by robertrosen &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">I started to wet sand my boat today and had real good results using onhtly 2000 grit and then using 3m perfect to polish it. My polisher is too old and slow so its time for a new one. Everyone is talking about harbor frieght having a polisher is this the right one? http://www.harborfreight.com/7....html</td></tr></table>

Are you wet sanding the gel coat because of oxidation or just getting that smooth shine back.

Luther Cosner
    Chico and the boys
    2001 520vx Comanche
    225 Merc. Opti

Re: polisher (Chico and the boys)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by Chico and the boys &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote"> After working a small area with 3m rubbing compound and then following up with 3m finesse-it II, I still see swirl marks and small scratches. This was all done by hand and not using a buffer...is that the problem here.
    </td></tr></table>

Generally you will not be able to get the sanding marks off using compound by hand, not unless you can rub around 1500 rpm

All the product info /directions/pics etc. is in the thread pinned at the top of the page.

Here's the pads :

black pad
    http://www.levineautoparts.com/3mperplusfoa1.html

white pads
    http://www.levineautoparts.com/3mperplusfoa.html

10. Member

Re: polisher (BASSCAT7)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by BASSCAT7 &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">

Generally you will not be able to get the sanding marks off using compound by hand, not unless you can rub around 1500 rpm </td></tr></table>

I have read the pinned thread and have purchased the products as listed on it. However, many of those repairs are in much worse shape than mine. My coat shines but like I mentioned it does have some flaws in it and I am just trying to get that nice gloss back. Should I begin with wet sanding or skip that step and go right into compounding/polishing (with a buffer).

Luther Cosner
    Chico and the boys
    2001 520vx Comanche
    225 Merc. Opti

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by Chico and the boys &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">

Should I begin with wet sanding or skip that step and go right into compounding/polishing (with a buffer).

</td></tr></table>

If you have no oxidation then just a good compounding /glaze will bring the shine back.
    Always start with the least aggressive method first, and if your gelcoat is not faded/cloudy then compounding with a buffer followed by a good glaze/polish then waxing should restore the gloss.

12. Member

Kinda of both, I got some heavy oxidation and the finish feels rough.
    Rob Rosencrans
    Denali Rods Pro Staff
    Cabin Creek Baits Pro Staff
    Gitzit Po Staff
    Mega Strike Pro Staff

13. Member

Follow the intsructions at the top of the page. I wet sanded starting with 800,1000,1500 then finished with 2000. I am buffing with compound right now and man what a difference. the boat is 21 years old and if it wasn't for some nics in the gel coat it would look almost new. My wife even came out and has not seen the boat since I brought it home and could not believe it was the same one.

14. Member

Re: polisher (ironworker3)

Thanks everybody for the assistance but how about fix'n the nicks and deeper scratches.

Luther Cosner
    Chico and the boys
    2001 520vx Comanche
    225 Merc. Opti