'85 Venture Bass Boat

Fate is a strange thing. A couple of weeks ago, in an effort to reduce some of the email clutter I have, I asked Kevin to just remove me from being a member on BBC. I told him that I've got a 14' aluminum jon boat and not a big fancy speed rig like everyone here, so I felt like I would never have anything to talk to you guys about. Little did I know...

A friend at my church mentioned to me tonight that he's got an old 1985 Venture Bass boat with a 115 Mariner on it that critters got into this winter and ate up the wiring. He told me he'd like to give it to someone for a project boat. I told him I'd be interested but I'm wondering what I'm getting myself into if I take it. How accessible is the wiring in those old boats? Will I be able to track the wiring to the various places and pieces of equipment? I'm supposed to go look at it tomorrow night to see what the situation is. From what I understand the company is no longer in business so I won't be able to find any wiring diagrams for it. Do you guys have any info or ideas for me?

Thanks,

Mike

2. Banned

Re: '85 Venture Bass Boat (MikeA57)

wiring isn't that hard, be sure to check the transom for rot. might be a good project.

3. Member

About 3 months ago I picked up an fish and ski Venture . I had to replace the floor due to the way they mounted the seats . They are a very well built boat . As far as the wiring goes if you due a search on here you will find color code that is standard on all boats.. Good luck with it Paul

Sears Gamefisher 9.9 Johnson 10.1 on GPS

4. Member

Re: '85 Venture Bass Boat (PBR)

My Force didn't have a wiring harness, but all the terminals on the outboard themselves were labeled. So I ran everything off switches. My starter is a momentary push button sw, Kill switch is a toggle, choke is a momentary pushbutton switch. Also if you can get a Clymer book for the motor it should have all the wiring diagrams.

If you don't know your way around Electrical too well and don't feel too comfortable making your own harness, check Ebay... you can always find people partiing out motors on there. Look up your outboard model and year range and if you keep checking it you'll find one within a few weeks.

5. Member

Electrical is nothing at all. If you are getting this boat for free then I would say TAKE IT! If you keep your small boat to fish off of you will not be rushed to get it complete. If the transom is strong and the hull is good I would say good project. I really cannot tell the condition of the carpet/floor, but I would say tear it out and save from having problems later on down the road when the project is comlpete. If the critters at up the wiring then tear it all out to be safe. Run higher gauge wire for a bigger trolling motor. I ran 6 when I only need 8-10 for my maxuum 65. You may want to go bigger down the road.

Even though it is a 85 you will apreciate this with all of the work you will put into it. Good luck, welcome, and feel free to post your questions!
    TJ Daveski
    Northeast, PA
    1987 Dyna-Trak 180 SS (restore)

2000 Dakota Quad Cab
    US Navy Vet 2002-2006 EN3(SW)

6. Member

I have a 86 with a mercury 150 and the wiring was shot for all my stuff except for the motor and I ran all new wiring to the battery if you could use a fuse box it probably would be a little easier than putting a fuse on each wire going to the battery I used like the guy said before said bigger wire than what was used from the factory hope this helps

7. Member

Post REHAB-OR RESELL? 83 VENTURE STALLION 16FT WITH 115

REHAB-OR RESELL? GREAT FORUM AND INSIGHTS. THE KNOWLEDGE YOU SHARE HELPS DISCERNMENT. JUST GOT 1983 VENTURE STALLION 16FT WITH 115 MERC. A PAWN/AUCTION FIND WITH TITLE. SELLER SAYS IT RAN PRIOR TO BEING PARKED 1 YEAR AGO AS CV19 HARD TIMES LANDED BOAT IN PAWN. THE TILT/TRIM WORKED GOOD LAST PM WITH BATT CHARGER BEFORE HAULING IT TO DAYTONA BCH. INSIDE RUG/FABRICS SEEMS VERY ROUGH. PLASTIC TRASH BAG ON TOP COVER/NO COWLING ON IT. TRAILWINDS TRAILER WIRING ISSUES BUT HAS GOOD BONES. NO BEARING HEAT DURING THE 250 MILES FROM TALLAHASSEE CHECKING AT REST STOPS. COULD LET IT ALL GO FOR $700. IS THAT FAIR NUMBER? NEVER KNEW VENTURE BOATS EARNED THEIR WAY TO CLASSIC STATUS AND ELITIE FOLLOWING DUE TO QUALITY OF THE BUILD BACK IN THE DAY, LIGHT WEIGHT, DESIGN, AND ABILITY TO MOVE THRU H2O SO QUICKLY WITH GRACE. KNOWING THAT IT ONCE PERFORMED UNCOMMONLY GOOD, AND THAT A SMALL TN COMPANY LEGACY IS IN THIER WAKE OF GOOD WATER VIBES TO MORE THAN A FEW TO ENJOY AND FOLLOW...QUESTION IS...WHEN ONE CONSIDERS VALUE (NOT $) AND ECONOMICS ($) AND FRUSTARTION FACTORS OF PEELING THE ONION, DOES THIS UNIT GET THE VOTE TO BE POLISHED UP OR TO BE PERISHED AWAY?

8. Member
    Ormondnalu ! You do realize this post is 11 years old No !