Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
  1. Member

Re: (robertmee)

Here are two pic's that I hope demonstrate what's going on. It's the front bow area. I've wiped the bottom portion with a damp cloth to show how it looks when 'wet'. Looks great! However, when it evaporates, it looks dull again. If it would keep that 'wet' look I'd be a happy camper. I've compounded and polished this area twice.

If you have compounded it down and polished and it still is cloudy looking then the compound is not removing the oxidation, try wetsanding an area, then compund with the high speed buffer and polish........if it comes up nice then you need to wetsand the boat.......

Re: (DROPSHOTMAN)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DROPSHOTMAN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well i am going to restore it, as for you helping me i think your a little to far away to help lol but it is much appreciated </TD></TR></TABLE>

Swat is right it looks like a cheap automotive clearcoat was applied......you will have to get the clearcoat off, lot of work involved there......try getting all the loose pieces off with duct tape, lay it on the edges that are peeling, rub it down firm and then try lifting the tape up slow, will usually grab on to the loose pieces and bring some of the not so loose pieces off also.
    Once the clear is removed you an try the light wetsanding and compounding.

4. Member

Re: (BASSCAT7)

Basscat,

Yeah, Swatdawg has been gracious enough to offer some insight behind the scenes. Soooo, I spent about 2 hours wetsanding just the front topcap area of the boat. Started with 1000, then 1500 and then 2000. Lots of milky white crap coming up which I assume is oxidized something. BUT, even after all that (I haven't compounded or polished again yet), it still looks a little cloudy. It's smooth as a baby's butt, tho.

See if you can tell a difference from earlier. Probably hard to tell 'cause of the sun changing positions

This still looks cloudy to me:

5. Member

Some more progress, I think....Stay tuned for some morning pics, but I think after some more sanding, compounding and polishing, she's going to look pretty good. It's dark now so no pictures 'till morning.

6. Member

you will get it, dont give up

7. Member

Re: (SwatDawg)

Here's the latest....It's not perfect but a far site better than when I started. I fear anymore sanding and I'll hit flake. This is after a wash/dry but before wax. Sorry for the poor lighting, but it is dusk here.

8. Member

Looks great After you wax it, dont forget to seal it off good then ya good to go

9. Member

Re: (SwatDawg)

Yeah, it even looks better now with a good coat of Carnuba. What kind of sealer do you recommend?

Pro - Tec is one of the best...it is a polymer seal that bonds to the polyseter gel coatto seal the pores...once a season, then keep it wiped down with a quick spray wax after each time in the water...

http://www.protecproducts.com/products.html

11. Member

Re: (BASSCAT7)

Is it okay to apply this after a fresh wax? Seems the wax would keep it from sealing, but maybe not.

Also, while I'm ordering do they have a bass saver equivalent. All these shipping costs are killing me.

Pro -Tec is best applied with a clean hull, no wax, will bond better to the gel coat.

No need to buy any spray wax that you need to pay shipping for if do not want to............go to any auto parts store , Wal-Mart, etc...they all have either the Mother's spray wax or the McGuires spray detailer wax, both do an excellent job on the gelcoat of preventing scum line build up and keeping the gel slick and looking new.

http://www.superiorcarcare.net/mo20224.html

Modified by BASSCAT7 at 4:01 PM 8/22/2008

the step by step instructions worked miracles for me. sorry the pics got reduced in size somehow.

http://www.bbcboards.net...70956

14. Member

Re: Basscat7's Post (Largemouthlou)

Can someone please give me links to the white and black buffing pads? I've already ordered the sander/polisher listed. A link to all the wax and stuff would also be great to make sure I purchase the right stuff... Sorry for the hassle, but thanks alot!

FISHING FOR SOULS AND HUNTING FOR CHRIST

Re: Basscat7's Post (LrgMouthCatcha)

16. Member

Applied these steps with good results. Thought I would have to go with a polyurathane clear. A little work but saved me $$. Lou you might remember what my gel looked like (96 Astro Black/Red) hope to show it off at the next weekend bassers trail! Will post pics soon. Thanks everyone!

17. Member

Re: Basscat7's Post

I've followed all the steps and everything has worked out great (Thanks for all the help)! I'm now to the point of wax and sealer. My question is which to do first? The Pro-Tec or the carnauba paste wax? What carnauba paste wax do you recommend?

FISHING FOR SOULS AND HUNTING FOR CHRIST

Ordered the polisher yesterday,,,,, my new to me boat and trailer needs a little work,,,,,,going to try to bring my trailer fenders back to life.
    Thanks for the info!!!!!!!

Anybody have a good online source for the sand paper and buffer pads that may save us a couple dollar$????

"Larry, Get the Net!!!!!"

http://www.mareinc.com/

Re: Basscat7's Post (LrgMouthCatcha)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LrgMouthCatcha &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've followed all the steps and everything has worked out great (Thanks for all the help)! I'm now to the point of wax and sealer. My question is which to do first? The Pro-Tec or the carnauba paste wax? What carnauba paste wax do you recommend?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Pro -Tec on first to seal the pores in the gelcoat.

20. Member

Where can I get the pads and the rest of the materials you stated? Anywhere other than through 3M?

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast