Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member

Re: How to cut a corner on your new carpet job! (james1968bass)

This is JoePA but I'm on my Dad's account. Anyway YES you should be able to us ethis same style cut. I would use a scrap piece first just to make sure..better safe than sorry. As far as contact cement...I used it on the entire boat. TEN times easier than outdoor glue.

2. Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by james1968bass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">on my lids 3 sides are the same height,and 1 is about 1/4 to 3/8 shorter.can i use this same style cutting?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Mine were the same way, no big deal, just take your time.

3. Member

Re: How to cut a corner on your new carpet job! (JoePA)

how do i get glue off that accidentally got on my carpet?and when i tried a practice cut,i cut right where the mark intersects,and that leaves a small gap.in your photo it looks as if you made the cut about a 1/4'' from the corner.and what angle should i used,45 or 90 degree.

4. Member

Glue off the carpet? I was pretty careful so I did not have to deal with that much but I would think mabie you could clip it off with a sissors if its not too deep, otherwise it may be tuff to get off with out replacing the entire peace,

The corners are cut not quite to the lid corner, 1/8 or so, I found that extra bit folds over and covers the point better without leaving a gap.

Im not sure what angle your talking about??

Mabie lay a scrap under a lid and practice without glue, Youll figure it out!

Just got back from a tournament last night, saw a couple of brand new Rangers and was inspecting the factory carpet job and was suprised after looking closely what a sloppy job they did on the corners of the lids. but after doing mine I have become more aware of it!!!! ost people probably dont even notice!!

5. Member

Re: How to cut a corner on your new carpet job! (Adub)

thanks for your photos on the forum.Iam almost done,looking great so far.only problem is that i replaced the 20oz with 24oz.its really tight on the front deck lids.i will have to do a lot of shaving. other than that i love it.hope to post some pics soon.once again thanks

6. Member

Sounds good, dont get in too big of a hurry to haircut your lids,
    Mine are getting easier as time compresses the carpet on the edges.
    I like them just a little snug, gives em a nice solid feel and not floppin up in rough water, I rarely latch them. Lookin forward to some pics!

7. Member

Re: How to cut a corner on your new carpet job! (Adub)

Someone may have had this idea, but I took a ratchet tie down and went around the sides of my lids to hold the carpet tight against the lids overnight. Does great forming the carpet to those radius lids and gives the glue time to try.

8. Member

Re: How to cut a corner on your new carpet job! (hnswfty)

I'm working on getting old glue off my Ranger and as I was taking a break was looking at corners. Got the lids done over winter but now wondering how the cut for the inside corners is done? Never really seen anything on site for this. Got all the info for outside of lids on site and they came out great. Who has the idea for the insides?? I hope that this isn't going to be a big deal because I have already cut the carpet pieces using the old carpet for the guides as that is how most of you said to do it. So far this job is going pretty well, am hoping the the temp. starts going up soon because glue needs at least 65 degrees to set up. !!!!

9. Member

Re: How to cut a corner on your new carpet job! (Ranger 85)

Ok I started on my lids and cutting it the way you describe you can see the place where you cut it, although I haven't glued it yet will the seam go away after the carpet wears a bit?
    2013 Sea Born NX23
    2014 Evinrude ETEC E150DPXABB

10. Member

Re: How to cut a corner on your new carpet job! (Ranger 85)

Inside corners, a small triangle scrap in the gap, a little extra glue and it dissappears!

11. Member

Re: How to cut a corner on your new carpet job! (scotakns)

You may have cut it a bit too short, You may be able to "pull it tight" but with the contact glue, it is where it is, I cut my first ones a bit long a then trimmed to fit,
    after a couple of lids youll figure it out.

12. Member
    i been doing carpet work for 30 years and never seen that !!!!!!!! nice job.

13. Member
    I am needing to recarpet my boat this winter. Is there one carpet brand better than others? And does anyone know if there is a mat of some type that can be placed under the Hot Foot Pedal to keep from waring out the carpet with your heel?

14. Member

Re: (Stratos20ss)

Check this out,

http://www.bbcboards.net...68224

bass cat sells 24oz I think its some of the best plush carpet out there,
    I suppose you could trim out around your hot foot with some carpet edge and place some non skid on that area.

Modified by Adub at 11:25 AM 3/11/2010

15. Member

Good job!!! Thanks a lot...I'm starting on mine next week.

16. Banned

Re: How to cut a corner on your new carpet job! (GaHawgs)

I made this video to help those that are removing the carpet.

17. Banned
    a couple of tips from me. i did mine several years ago using cabelas carpet. i got the really thick stuff and the lids never did loosen up so i ended up shaving them with my clippers. they are still tight but not as tight. another thing i figured out was... when wrapping the carpet around the edges of the lids i cut one by's the lendths and the widths of the lids and used the grip clamp things, im sure regular c clamps would work as well, and put the one by's on the outside and inside and clamped them down and let them sit for a couple of days to make sure the glue sets up real good. not a piece has come loose. i like the ratchet strap idea but that does take care of the inside. buy the best you can afford, its well worth it

18. Member

Re: (black dallas)

I like the 1 by's tip-seems like a good,even way to apply pressure.Am gettin ready to do the lids on my 84 Hydrasports.A good carpet template is the weed block you buy off the roll at Home depot.Its like 1.27 ft but its 6 ft wide.I bought enuf for whole boat carpet job for 15.00.Theres a few different kinds.Its the one thats "felt-like".Its perfect for a template-lays firm enuf to get reads/measurments but easily cuts with scissors or razor knife.I especially reccomend creating a template for floor and/or front deck.You only wanna buy/cut those pieces ONCE.

19. Member

I wish I would have looked here sooner! Earlier today I just completed laying my carpet down. I worked the corners in with elbow greese and used maskin tape to hold all the corners in place then trimmed everything after the glue set. It did come out looking pretty good though. Your method would have been easier.

Thanks Joe, that's the way we do it to. Helpful little hint for folks using contact cement. We use a "cheap" spray gun (Harbor Freight about $17 on sale) and put the cement in there, don't thin it, it'll stay just fine as long as you keep it sealed in the spray pot. Spray both surfaces, let tack and place. Don't clean the pot, leave it in there, peel off any residual spray around nozzle and your good to go for the next time. Never use less than 20 ounce marine carpeting, 24's better and the new 40 oz is like walking on soft padded carpeting, problem with buying carpet from Home Depot or Lowes is that it's 16 ounce or less. Make sure it's marine grade and UV resistant and remember, it doesn't last forever, the longest warranty we've found is 5 year fade resistant (form the manufacturer). For those folks who may have a year or two left in their "old" carpeting and are looking to refresh it, clean it as best you can, we use a power sprayer but don't recommend it for regular folks. Once cleaned, or cleaned as best as possible, get yourself one of those detail brushes, we use brass, then mix up a solution of white vinegar and water, usually about 50-50, spray copious amounts on the carpet and start brushing the carpet back, against the grain, forcing the pile to stand up. The vinegar breaks down the "white yucky" residue left after water dries and allows for the pile to go back to its original position. One last note, when washing your boat with whatever soap you use make sure to get ALL of the suds outta the carpeting as they're residue builds up also. Hope this helps, have other tips but it'd be too lengthy to post em all. Boat Detailer

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast