brand new newbie and ranger owner of a somewhat older ranger.

Absolutly great sight, I have been reading many posts, very imformative, thanks. My backround is I fished freshwater bass/etc. fished my whole life as a kid darn near everyday - often all day on a little row jon boat (3 yrs to 18 or so) At 43 now got the itch to relax and go back to it. Also moving to flagler county florida from palm beach co. to get away from all the traffic etc. Where we are building a home is very rural, and a bunch of bass lakes lake cresent/dead lake/lake george/st johns river, etc) surrond us. Looked for awhile for a nice, not to expensive clean bass boat. Purchased a 94 354V comanchee 150 merc. XR6. minn kota genesis t.m. lowrene x-70 console/eagle 320 bow f.f.

The ranger was owned by a guy that fished on a private 64 acre lake in his back area, and was garage kept. My wife laughs at me cause I keep looking and tweaking on it, I am amzazed at the gel-coat and condition as it is literly as close to new as possible. LOVE THE BOAT! Really incredible condition IMO. Any opinions on the 354 or mid 90's rangers? I have had her in the water 4 times, have had it for about 2 weeks now. The ride is so nice and solid! New to the trailering deal, so I am learning on that end. Pretty easy as long as the wind isn't silly blowing now. On speed, ran 59.4 on a garmin gps with 3/4 full tanks (14x2) and my wife and I (about 360lbs - I am 220 of that-lol) thats with (2) trojen 130 amp d/c batts and the genesis t.m. the prop is a high five 25-p. Is this about right? Played with trim, pretyy much 60 is top speed. Is the h/f/ prop a good prop for this boat? The boat hull weight is 1050 with a fairly narrow 6-10" beam. I have added a 3 bank M/K #315 on board charger and thru-hull-115v plug in. That's the only mods so far, any suggestions. Thanks, you are the experts here, I am litterly just getting my feet wet - thanks for any and all help. Jon

http://smg.photobucket.com/alb...3.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/alb...1.jpg

Re: brand new newbie and ranger owner of a somewhat older ranger. (joninflorida)

Jon,
    First...welcome to BBC, the greatest site on the web Second, nice looking boat you've got there I know absolutely nothing about Rangers, and I'm sure the ones with Ranger knowledge will be along soon, but by the pics and the way you describe it you've got an awesome ride, enjoy it and congrats

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

3. Member

Re: brand new newbie and ranger owner of a somewhat older ranger. (Tailrace)

the ranger hulls are notorious for not wanting to lift..(bow lift)...mainly the 300 series. The high five is a fine prop but is more for power...pulling...heavy loads...I would rather see a 24 or 25 pitch trophy or tempest plus...and at least a 6" jack plate set at 3 1/2" below the pad...those hulls really need some setback to for the motor...I think you would like that setup....and could prob get mid 60's with a light to med load. What rpm are you running?? You really need to go over to the setup forum and prop forum...you would get ALOT of info there...those guys....Mark and Todd are the go to guys for setups and props. Welcome and get ready...your looking and tinkering will become an obsession once you've been around on this site for a while.

4. Member

Re: brand new newbie and ranger owner of a somewhat older ranger. (Scrapper)

If you can run high 50s with this boat you have got all out of her you are going to get. You might spend some money on a jackplate and tweaking it but you really are not going to get much more than mid 60s. Now you get a 175 powerhead on it and that will change.

I had a 1990 363v with a 150 Evinrude on it. It ran 59mph without a jackplate. I was using a 4 blade OMC Shooter 27 pitch prop. When I sold it a few years ago the gel coat was nearly perfect and shined like it was new. I kept it in a garage too when I wasn't fishing. It was a good solid boat, the motor was going out and I wanted a 20 ft boat so I upgraded to a 520DXV and sold it.