How hard is it to install hydro steering on an 84 ranger 372

I'm thinking of taking the plunge..everyone who has it loves it and I get tired of fighting the torque on those long runs in rough water...plus Im paranoid about a cable breaking

Re: How hard is it to install hydro steering on an 84 ranger 372 (bassman502)

Fram what I gather it's a pretty easy job. Just whn you pull the cable out attach a rope OR the hyd lines and pull them through all in one shot. Just might need 2 people when you go to bleed it. I'm going to be doing the same thing and was asking the same question. zi'll do a search and see if I can find my post......
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

3. Member

Re: How hard is it to install hydro steering on an 84 ranger 372 (JoePA)

thanks joe

http://www.bbcboards.net...27900

There are a few guys with the 300 series that have done it. I've been looking around and some good prices are pitstop marine with the ultra flex but ebay has some Really good deals. you just have to keep checkign and know what system you need.

Joe
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

5. Member

Just finished installing hydraulic steering on my 96 Cobra 201D. It was a fairly easy process. The biggest problem I had was bleeding because I had no one to help but I got it done. Can't wait till weather warms so I can try it out. Just take your time and you can do it. I purchased mine off E-bay from BoatstoreUSA. They had the best price for the Seastar Pro[4 turns lock to lock,1500 psi] w/kevlar hoses. Just remember your hoses will probably have to be longer than your cables were because they go to the left side of your engine[sitting in drivers seat] and then back to the cylinder. Good luck.

6. Member

Re: How hard is it to install hydro steering on an 84 ranger 372 (moldman)

Im going to try it when I get a break in the weather and the extra funds....thanks Jimmy

7. Member

Whats the difficulty on bleeding the system? Mine is pretty easy. I have an old Hynautic setup which was bought out by teleflex and from what i saw the newer systems are pretty similar. From the system being empty you simply fill the reservior with fluid and pump it up to like 60-70psi. Then crack all the lines until fluid sprays out. Refill the reservoir. Then there are two bleed screws on the bottom of the reservior you open and you simply turn the wheel all the way to one direction like 30 revs and then the other way 30 revs. From there the system is pretty much bled, but to center the wheel you just count the revs from lock to lock then set the engine at a point where it is locked then turn the steering wheel half the turns with the bleed screws open.

----------------
    Scott
    1988 Skeeter SK2000
    Become a Pro at Fiberglass Repair... Buy a Skeeter!!

8. Member

Re: How hard is it to install hydro steering on an 84 ranger 372 (boostedone)

Scott it sounds like you are very knowledgable about the system you have but the instructions from Teleflex for bleeding their system is entirely different . Not being a hydraulics expert I just had to follow their instructions. They recommend two men, one to hold the extended cylinder rod and open the bleeder valve on one side as the other turns the steering wheel to push the fluid thru the system. Then the bleeder valve needs to be closed as you continue to turn the wheel. This has to be repeated with the cylinder rod extended in the other direction. This is all done as you are introducing fluid into the helm and you have to keep your fluid level above the helm port or you will get air into the system. My arms were not long enough to reach the engine and the steering wheel at the same time. It would be a lot easier with a buddy to help. Good luck with your Skeeter project.

If anyone needs a link to a really good deal on a Seastar hydraulic system...IM me. Ed
    Just can't leave well enough alone!!

98 Stratos 273 w/ 150 Faststrike

10. Member

Re: How hard is it to install hydro steering on an 84 ranger 372 (fastman151)

its a easy thing to do...but then again iam a mechanic...i have it on a RANGER 373V with a 175 merc.. you feel confident..and no feedback from the wheel..