Boat Restoration Question

I have a 1994 Stratos 201 Pro that I love but I am gettig lots of stress cracks and starring in the finish. Can someone tell me if there is a way to fix or will I have to refinish the entire top side. If so how and where do I start. Any help will be great. Thanks in advance.
    Greenfish Tackle
    The Tackle Shop

2. Member

Re: Boat Restoration Question (spotaholic)

Many boats get some stress cracks over the years. They are difficult to fix and most fixes won't last as the boat will continue to flex in the repaired areas. As long as they are not structural or being caused by a structural failure somewhere else in the hull, leaving them alone will not hurt anything. If they are suddenly popping up all over the place with no apparent reason, then you may have a structural failure in a stringer, bulkhead or cap support brace causing excessive flex. I have seen boats get a starring when they are left in an extremely hot environment for extended periods.

3. Member

Re: Boat Restoration Question (spotaholic)

I am nearing the completion of a "body and paint" job on a Ranger 350V. I had the same problem lots of little stress cracks, mostly on the bow cap (caused by trolling motor torque). As I painted the rig as well I used Interlux Filler to fill in the cracks, this filler works better than the automotive types I have used as it seems to have more give. If you are not prepared to go the paint route I really don't see any way to cover the cracks.