Venture Bass Boats, HELP!!!!!

I recently purchased a 1990 Venture Dominator w/ a 175hp Carb. Mariner. These boats were really popular around this area when I was growing up, and everyone seemed to be very pleased with them. My father and friends actually owned at last count, about 8 of these over a ten year period. They are fairly fast in there respective size and class, even today with the newer designed hulls. My problem is, this boat isn't in bad shape at all, but there are some odds and ends that I need help with. I've spent about $400.00 on miscellaneous stuff that tends to be a problem with any boat of this age. But, the gelcoat, gauges, and engine(the most expensive piece) all are in great shape. I am wondering where I can find any information on these boats and if anybody that owns one can give me any advive about them and things to look out for. Also, what is the difference in the Dominator, 180 Tournament Pro, and the Tournament Edition? Which is faster? I know that Carolina Skiff bought the hull design from Venture a few years ago, but with the influx of newer hull designs and the popularity of Triton, Ranger, Stratos and others, the Venture couldn't compete with those boats, especially with Carolina Skiff's philosophy of low overhead, which includes no advertisement. Has anybody who owns one contacted Carolina Skiff to see if they still make them or will make them if a customer decides to special order one? I know when they were first released you could get a 180 with a 175 for about $17,000.00... Any setup ideas? Thanks, any and all help is greatly appreciated.

2. Member

Re: Venture Bass Boats, HELP!!!!! (bjmillic1)

I just bought my 88 Tournament Edition back after a 5 year hiatus...for the low low price of $1500. I've got a Merc XR-4 150 on a 6" JP, with a worked Quicksilver Chopper. I have just finished re-painting the trailer and replacing the rub-rail. The only project that remains is new carpet this winter. I would be interested in the Venture history as well. Everywhere I go people always comment on the boat. I get the feeling that they were very well respected in their day. I'll try to get some pictures up of mine, and I would love to see others.

3. Member

Re: Venture Bass Boats, HELP!!!!! (wakinvol)

The Venture Boats were actually highly respected. And, Venture also was one of the first bass boat companies to design a 20' Bass Boat with the S2000. The hull held a speed record for a short period of time. The hull design, when first offered was ahead of it's time, it's actually very close to what a Norris Craft is today. These boats could run in the mid-60s to high-60s with just an XR2, XR4, XR6, MAG I, II, II, or especially(the most popular for the Tournament Editions) Pro V 150 Yamaha. They were a little cheaper than a Ranger or Skeeter, but could outrun either in their size and class and that's what made them popular, especially in era of tournament bass fishing limited HP to 150.......
    I am running a Mariner 175hp Engine, with either a 23P Tempest or a 25P Trophy. I am only getting about 60mph on GPS, should I run a 25P or larger Tempest? The 4 blade Trophy turns @ 5800-5900rpms, so I would assume that the 25P Tempest should turn as fast and get more MPH, Thoughts?

4. Member

I'm turning my chopper at almost 6000, but I don't have a GPS so I couldn't tell the speed. It is a 24p, but it appears to have been cupped and worked. At some point in the near future I'm going to borrow a GPS because couriousity is killing me. Also, put some pics up of yours.

Re: Venture Bass Boats, HELP!!!!! (wakinvol)

IIRC, the original Charger hulls in the mid 70's were splashed off the Venture hull. I know Chargers first non-sponsoned V-hull boat, the 747XLV looked identical to a Venture.

i have fished out of both the dominator has a better layout
    in my opinion a little more front deck. my buddy has the
    tournament edition and another had the dominator it had
    a 150 yamaha with a little work and it would run upper
    60s im sure. several ventures in our area. he had a 6 or 8 inch
    plate and run a 4 blade predator on it. he may pipe in later
    with more information.
    1998 bullet 20xd 2006 225 sport xs

7. Member

Re: Venture Bass Boats, HELP!!!!! (MIKER2702)

I'll give a little insight after today's run.......It does not have a holeshot whatsoever. The prop will only turn @ 2000rpms and eventually it will come out, but much slower than any other boat I have ran(this is turning the 23P Tempest). The 4 blade Trophy will squeak it out a little faster, but not enough.

My thoughts are......

1. Could it be the Reeds, do they need replacing? I have heard that they will cause an engine to struggle out of the hole.

2. Do I need a larger prop (in pitch), say a 25P Tempest?

3. Could the engine be running on 4 or 5 cylinders? (Fouled Plugs?) I wouldn't think so, it will turn the 23P Tempest about 5800rpms......the Trophy apparently isn't turning that....

4. Or, is this odd, or could it be the fact that it has an "above the water" exhaust, that, when trying to get on plane is under the water "choking" the engine, not allowing it to breathe, because once it gets out of the water, the boat takes off like a normal boat would.....
    5. Should I attempt to lower the motor on the jackplate? When at full throttle, the boat was more than chine walking, it would almost come off of the pad going back and forth, not just a quick "side to side" motion. You can actually see where the engine was about an inch lower at one time on the adjustment screws on the jackplate. Venture's are a driver's boat for sure, but this was not the Venture chine walking.....The motor seems like it is at a good heighth, but I should be turning the 23P Tempest faster too.....maybe it's both the motor and the heighth....

Thoughts? Anybody? Oh yeah I'll post some pictures on the Venture Owner's page tonight.....

8. Member

Venture bass boat help!

Just got 89 venture not sure what model. But havin high rpms at high speed 150 mariner mag 2 26p lazer2 3 blade 10in manual jp and turning 6100 At 60? So question is how to lower rpms

9. Member
    I need to figure out what the toggle switches control. Does anyone have an up close picture of them that are still labeled. 100_0358.jpg100_0358.jpg