tracker avalanche

I am trying to get all I can get, with the balance of true preformance.

2007 model
    150hp optimax

I have a tempest+ 21p prop
    55.4 mph GPS me+full on gas.
    5700 rpm WOT

my issue is I dont want to go WOT all the time. when I am running 30 mph and trim up AT ALL, I start to porpiose. I "need" to trim at 30 mph cause I am plowing water and leaving HUGE wakes, and prefer to plane out and "cruise" at lower speeds in some of the smaller water I fish.

2. Pat Goff

Re: tracker avalanche (NEEDHAM)

That's a tough hull with a history of porpoising issues. Sorry...

I've battled several of them to make them behave, and I've got answers, you're just not going to like them.

The only real fix is a set of trim tabs. Any other bandaid fix you'll be wasting your time.

Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

3. Member

Re: tracker avalanche (pmgoffjr)

thanks goff.......

I see most run a 23p prop, and have wondered if that would help, I am asking before I go spend money, lol. I have read jack plates help a lot in this area as well.

not opposed to trim tabs if it solves it I guess. its really not that bad, cause you can just speed up and not porpiose. But geez who wants 2 speeds, WOT and idle?
    thanks for the help, hoping others will come in with some ideas, or knowledge as well, since this model boat is known for set up issues.

4. Pat Goff

Anyone with *ideas* that haven't dealt with that exact hull are going to be guesses.

I used to work at a tracker dealer, and sold a few of them, on paper looks like a great idea, in reality they had a very difficult time building two that ran the same.

The transom angles were different, one had a hook in the hull, another had a big bubble, and another had a rocker that was 3" front to back.

I installed plates, tried dozens of different props, whale tale thingy's, lots of hours trying to tame the beast into something livable, and the end result, the only thing that worked at all were adjustable tabs. So good luck with it, hope you find something that works.

Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

5. Member

Re: tracker avalanche (pmgoffjr)

fair enough pat.
    I did not know you had such an extensive history with the hull, so I concede.

I was actually HOPING since mine was a 2007 and most of the hull issue stories were from the early models that I could do something simple with set up.

but looks like that not be the case. thanks for your help.

6. Member

A hydrofoil may be a cheap answer. They stablize and lift the rear of the boat. I've seen alot of them on your type of boat. Many brands on market. here's on at cabellas

http://www.cabelas.com/trollin...e=pla

7. Member

Re: tracker avalanche (gene1094)

hydofoils are worthless to me.

My boat had one on it when I bought it. after 3-4 trip to the lake I took it off, and if anything it did better with out it.

8. Member

Pat knows what he is saying and has the experience.

A cheaper way out will result in spending more and frustration with poor results. Go with the trim tabs as he suggest.

9. Member

Interesting post on another board.....

porpoising is actually caused by the center of lift on the boat being moved back and forth form the center of gravity of the boat, a lot like chine walking. On some boats if you throttle up slower when you come on plane it will slow the effect down a lot, but on others it doesn't matter if you do it slow or fast it still happens. It is a basic instability in the boat that can be caused by many reasons, including hull features but usually it is caused by weight placement in the boat. Moving some weight forward or backwards some of the time can totally cure the problem, but not always. This problem can be exacerbated at times by using a prop that has some rake but not enough to lift the bow as required, and at other times it is best to use a zero rake prop that lifts the stern only and thus eliminates the tendency of the boat to propoise because it keeps the center of lift on the boat in the stern and it never passes the center of gravity farther forward in the boat.On some boats you can give it more speed and it will actually stop porpoising. I know that is a very lengthy and detailed explanation, but that is the root of the problem with porpoising.

I had a 2004 Avalanche with a 150 opti. My advice would be to get yourself a 23 Tempest plus prop. move some weight to the bow compartments because the bow on that boat is very light. I was able to get 60 mph out of it. It will never NOT porpoise at low speeds... Anything less than 3600 rpm and you need to be fully trimmed IN. Above 4000 rpm you can start trimming out. That hull doesn't like to go slow. Oh and make sure the motor is mounted all the way down on the transom if you do not have a jackplate. (top hole)

------------------------

2012 Skeeter ZX190
    2012 Yamaha 175 HPDI

11. Member
    I have the same problem with my avalanche. Hard to Fet out of the home when loaded down (full live wells, heavy set fishing partner etc.)

Now as far as trim tabs go,which are better, the adjustable ones via electric or hydrolics? Or the self adjusting ones?
    1995 Champion 190 dcx Elite

12. Pat Goff
    Electric are the easiest to install.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.