Chine walk, what it is and tips on what to do about it.

I borrowed this post from Jimboat to help some of you guys understand it and tips on what to do about it. EP

performance vee hulls, and particularly on vee-pad hulls. The design & setup of the hull and the weights & power have everything to do with the hull's susceptability to chine-walking.
    As the hull accelerates, lift increases and the wetted running surfaces that are required to support the hull are reduced (more Speed = more Lift = less Surface). As the speed increases throughout the velocity range, the hull often gets to a point where the lifting surfaces become very much reduced and the hull is now “balancing” on a small area of the vee-portion or the “vee-pad” of the hull. When that surface becomes sufficiently small, it becomes very tricky to “balance” the hull on its vee or pad. The result is a rocking of the hull from side-to-side. This rocking can tend to get a little more extreme with each motion, and so the “balancing” must then be provided by additional driver (steering/throttle/trim) input in order to maintain the hull in a balanced state.
    With some driver input, the condition can be stabilized. With changes to hull setup and/or changes to the driving technique the condition can be alleviated.

Note that the notion that chine walking can be “driven through” without making adjustments is a dangerous approach. Make the proper setup changes first. With experience, you can then learn to make the subtle steering, trim or throttle adjustments that might control the condition – but don’t try to just blast through the onset of chine walking, as this usually ends up to be a very wet conclusion!

Chine walking is predominantly characteristic of vee-hulls with deep Vees (more deadrise), hulls with deep or narrow running pads and hulls, with a Veed pad or no pad (straight vee). These bottom designs are just more inherently difficult to balance at higher speeds. Another contribution to chine walking can be seen at higher speeds from "propeller slap" (usually seen more with props of fewer blades). As the prop turns, each blade enters the water and another exits the water. This irregular in/out of every blade, changes the dynamic forces at the location of the propshaft, repeatedly putting an imbalance on a hull that is trying desperately to balance on it's vee or pad, and ultimately initiates chine walking.

Setup of your hull and driver “seat-time” are the best solutions to the problem. Usually an alteration to the hull, or hull setup and/or modification to your driving methods (read seat-time) will improve the problem.

For hulls that do experience chine-walk, some established steps toward minimizing chine walking include:

1. Check & adjust steering
    2. Use solid mounts
    3. Clean Hull Lines
    4. Weight balance of hull
    5. Motor height
    6. Propeller selection
    7. Seat time (experience)
    8. Minimize Trim Angle

Summary: Optimize Hull Setup and Driver "seat-time"!

Stroker 21
    Mercury 250 PRO XB

TN Bluewater dealer/rep.
    BBO

Question

Bump!
    Last edited by DoferGofer; 01-19-2013 at 06:18 PM.
    If you can't run with the big dogs, just stay on the porch.

Model E150DPLIIB, Serial 05311818, Mfg Date 02/2011

SST... 14 1/2" x 19" 45.0 mph.@4950
    Rebel 15 1/2" x 17" 45.1 mph.@5250
    Rebel 15 1/2" x 16" 44.6 mph.@5300 (Re-pitched/Balanced/Blue Printed by Mark's Props)
    Rebel 15 3/4" x 15" 44.2 mph.@5700-5750

3. Member
    I don't think you have chine walk problems. Your not going fast enough with that setup. You usually raise the motor to try to get more of the lower unit out of the water and cut down on prop torque which helps stop some of the chine walk.

Question

Bump
    Last edited by DoferGofer; 01-19-2013 at 06:20 PM.
    If you can't run with the big dogs, just stay on the porch.

Model E150DPLIIB, Serial 05311818, Mfg Date 02/2011

SST... 14 1/2" x 19" 45.0 mph.@4950
    Rebel 15 1/2" x 17" 45.1 mph.@5250
    Rebel 15 1/2" x 16" 44.6 mph.@5300 (Re-pitched/Balanced/Blue Printed by Mark's Props)
    Rebel 15 3/4" x 15" 44.2 mph.@5700-5750

5. Member
    I was taught that the Prop spins to the right and tries to carry the boat with it. Suddle bumps the the left offset the prop force. I have used this in several different boats and it always works for me. I do agree however that setup is a safer and more permanent approach.

6. Member
    I'm having chine walk issues also. I just broke my motor in and now I'm having trouble with chine walking. Once I get up around 60-65 it starts so I just slack off on the throttle. I've been reading several post saying that I need more seat time but I don't know if it will ever get better. I can hardly get to 5000rpms and I have to back out, can anyone here give me some advice. I'm starting to get discouraged with my setup. Thanks

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwebre74 View Post
    I'm having chine walk issues also. I just broke my motor in and now I'm having trouble with chine walking. Once I get up around 60-65 it starts so I just slack off on the throttle. I've been reading several post saying that I need more seat time but I don't know if it will ever get better. I can hardly get to 5000rpms and I have to back out, can anyone here give me some advice. I'm starting to get discouraged with my setup. Thanks
    I've been having the same issue, I chimed in on bbc. Ryan Todd another member of bbc happened to live not far from me, we met at a lake and he watched me drive and knew I was gonna have to back out. At 68-69 mine gets pretty hairy. He drove it and hit 72 comfortably. He describes it as ,almost like stated above, since the prop pushes you right hand direction, you have to counter steer. Just slight left hand pressure, when and if you start to feel like you're falling off to the left, no more pressure, don't necessarily steer right just release the left hand pressure. I know it's easier said than done, but after he drove my boat and saw how, it's correctable with knowing how subtle the movements are. Hope this helps. I know it did me. As I'm still trying to perfect. Good luck. Kevin

8. Member
    I have a 2016 Stratos with 250 Merc, straight v to the back. I have found if I hold the steer wheel stif and do not move it, I have gotten thru the chine walk, to about seventy, but the minute I move the steering wheel, it starts to chine walk. The boat only has 17 hours on it, but someone said it might need the hydralic steering bled, anybody have any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by JLand View Post
    I have a 2016 Stratos with 250 Merc, straight v to the back. I have found if I hold the steer wheel stif and do not move it, I have gotten thru the chine walk, to about seventy, but the minute I move the steering wheel, it starts to chine walk. The boat only has 17 hours on it, but someone said it might need the hydralic steering bled, anybody have any ideas?
    Never ever attempt to drive thru chine walk, that can get you into trouble fast
    Do not use the throttle to control it, use the trim instead

Prop rotation will try to pull the back of the boat to the right and it will try to turn the motor to right turn position
    The higher motor is raised the more effect it has on this
    Most try to run far more trim than what is correct for there boat
    As the prop rotates clockwise the opposing reaction is it will try to rotate the boat on its axis counter clock wise

I have been around bass boats for about forty years and in everyone I have been involved with setting up, If you set up 100 to 150 lbs heavier on the right side you will have less chine walk and a much better driving rig. This will help in off setting the counter rotation. Don't let the naysayers detract you from trying this, most on these forums will argue this point with out any understanding of this
    I load all my heavy tackle and tools as far to the right as I can get them, and then fuel the boat to achieve the weight balance I am after for the day. Many will say raising the motor will help, many times this true, but any many cases lowering it does the trick, there is a proper engine height for every boat and every boat combination is not the same. This you will have to determine what is best for your rig,
    While learning to handle chine walk, bring the nose up to get it up to speed quickly and before the walk starts trim back down to about neutral then just short taps on trim all the while at full throttle. You will feel the changes as you gradually trim up more, at some trim point you will feel it when it is just starting. If you are having trouble settling it down don't let off the throttle, just trim down till stable and start over. Leave the trim in that position and get the feel of how to manage it with timing it to bow movement and the correct amount of short left input. When you get that down then tweek it up another notch. You will find a point in the trim where there is no gains in speed when more trim is added and it will drive much better
    My Cougars sweet spot is just a little above neutral where it is the fastest and drives the best. The rooster tail is about 18 inches high at this point
    Last edited by lpugh; 07-29-2019 at 09:03 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Never ever attempt to drive thru chine walk, that can get you into trouble fast
    Do not use the throttle to control it, use the trim instead

Prop rotation will try to pull the back of the boat to the right and it will try to turn the motor to right turn position
    The higher motor is raised the more effect it has on this
    Most try to run far more trim than what is correct for there boat
    As the prop rotates clockwise the opposing reaction is it will try to rotate the boat on its axis counter clock wise

I have been around bass boats for about forty years and in everyone I have been involved with setting up, If you set up 100 to 150 lbs heavier on the right side you will have less chine walk and a much better driving rig. This will help in off setting the counter rotation. Don't let the naysayers detract you from trying this, most on these forums will argue this point with out any understanding of this
    I load all my heavy tackle and tools as far to the right as I can get them, and then fuel the boat to achieve the weight balance I am after for the day. Many will say raising the motor will help, many times this true, but any many cases lowering it does the trick, there is a proper engine height for every boat and every boat combination is not the same. This you will have to determine what is best for your rig,
    While learning to handle chine walk, bring the nose up to get it up to speed quickly and before the walk starts trim back down to about neutral then just short taps on trim all the while at full throttle. You will feel the changes as you gradually trim up more, at some trim point you will feel it when it is just starting. If you are having trouble settling it down don't let off the throttle, just trim down till stable and start over. Leave the trim in that position and get the feel of how to manage it with timing it to bow movement and the correct amount of short left input. When you get that down then tweek it up another notch. You will find a point in the trim where there is no gains in speed when more trim is added and it will drive much better
    My Cougars sweet spot is just a little above neutral where it is the fastest and drives the best. The rooster tail is about 18 inches high at this point
    I’ve never seen it explained in writing as well as this...and I’ve got 40 years of bass boat experience at high speed.

What if motor is mounted slightly to right? Does it add chinewalking? Or kill speed?