2005 Stratos 201 Pro XL / 2010 Yamaha SHO Setup Advice

I have a 2005 Stratos 201 Pro XL w/ 2010 Yamaha 250 SHO, dual 10ft PP blades, 10" Atlas. Boat came with a 25 T1. Ran fairly fast, 73/74 with me, half tank gas, empty livewells, but TONS of tournament gear (40+ rods, craploads of plastics, a couple dozen 3700 boxes full of gear. But with that prop it felt out of control...wanted to leap out of the water at every wave it hit. It felt like it had more speed but the chine walk would get unmanageable at my skill level. I had a 25 pitch Fury 4 blade from a prior boat and tried that out. Grip, handling, steering DRAMATCALLY improved, the "launching out of the water" went away. With that prop (all PVS holes fully plugged) I'm getting roughly 70mph at 5850 to 5950 rpm depending on wind and current. Hole shot is instantaneous. If I continue to trim higher it will occasionally hit 71, but the chine walk kicks in. So....great hole shot, great grip and handling, but "enh" on speed compared to the T1. I'm thinking of trying a Fury 4 26 or even 27. Based on my numbers, it feels like I could turn 26 or 27 with no problem, with added fuel economy and speed. Am I analyzing this correctly? Thx in advance.
    Last edited by bbarthelt; 09-14-2022 at 02:28 PM.

As crazy as it sounds if it were mine, I would leave it alone. It has good speed, great handling and holeshot. I've seen way too many times where people would chase a couple of more mph just to wind back up where they started.

3. Member
    I would also leave it for now. Get used to handling the chine walk and then see what you really have.

4. Member
    You absolutely have to learn how to drive the 201 Pro XL if you want it’s top speed. The chine will start kicking in around 70mph. 75+ if you take the time to learn how to drive it.

5. Member
    Thanks for the advice. Something I didn't mention...I do very much like how this prop rides and intended to keep it. But since I really don't like the 25T1, I was planning to sell it and get something else as my 2nd prop, since we always need to have two. I'm basically trying to decide what to go with as that 2nd prop. And if it was better, I'd use that and keep my current as the backup.

6. Member
    I think you have too much prop slip on that fury prop somewhere around 16% is what your showing. All that weight is why your speed is so low. How many rpms are you turning the 25T at WOT and what HP motor are you running since you didn't say.

7. Member
    I have the same setup as you do. Right now the best prop I have tried is a Turbo FXP I'm getting 74 mph at 5900 with a heavy load. This prop has a lot of stern lift and I have no chine walking.

8. Member
    mdtritn21, I was turning about 5950 to 6000 on the 25T.

SS1968, thanks. What pitch Turbo FXP are you running on your rig? When you say you have the same setup, you're also running a 250SHO? this just became urgent. I hit something in the mississippi river and sheered an ear right off my 25 Fury 4. :-(

Thanks in advance.