Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Will the height of your motor effect how your boat handles and top speed? I have a 99 Bumble Bee 290 Pro Vee and a Mercury 200 efi and it does not have hydraulic steering, the steering wheel about rips out of my hands at WOT. I also can only hit around 63 mph (6000 rpms) with one person and the worst hole shot I have ever seen in a bass boat. I am running a 25 pitch 3 blade. I feel that getting my jack plate just right will make it handle better by getting more of the boat out of the water and increase my hole shot. (BTW others with the same set up are getting 70-75mph http://www.bassboatcentral.com/bumblebee.htm ). Any ideas of lowering or raising jack plate?

2. Member
    Measuring your ptp the way the op suggested is not correct. You have to match the angle of the concrete. Most garages are slanted to drain the water off. If the boat and motor are level but you are measuring to an unlevel surface you will not get a correct ptp.
    Pool 10

3. Member
    You have to make sure everything is level or on the same plane. If the floor is out level a 2x4 and measure to that.

4. Member
    What is good measurement for the prop to pad on a cougar FTD with poles, and a 250 SHO?

5. Member
    I don't know if this site allows for linking to other sites. If not, mods please delete.

I found this article to be pretty helpful.
    http://www.stevescustomprops.com/faq.html

However, he states 3.5" below pad. However, others have noted and his illustration matches that the pad of the boat whould be at the same level as the center of the water pump inlets.

I am not sure which is best but, it makes sense to me to be that way.

6. Member
    I’ve got a 1992 Ranger 361V with a 6” jack plate and I raised it up 1” above the transom, how do I measure it?

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mc Gregor View Post
    Measuring your ptp the way the op suggested is not correct. You have to match the angle of the concrete. Most garages are slanted to drain the water off. If the boat and motor are level but you are measuring to an unlevel surface you will not get a correct ptp.
    His way is correct. If the slope on concrete is more than 1/8" in a foot you have way more problems than the setup on your boat.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeT@1954 View Post
    I’ve got a 1992 Ranger 361V with a 6” jack plate and I raised it up 1” above the transom, how do I measure it?
    Need to know the distance between the pad and the prop not the transom.

9. Member
    I just bought a 2016 Triton 18trx with a merc 150 4 stroke, I measured the prop to pad and i am at 4 1/2". Ive only had the boat out a couple short times and got about 52mph on the spedo. It sounds like im low. I dont have a water psi gauge. Do I need a gauge before raising?

10. Member
    YES!
    Raise it up by the jack plate until you lose water PSI. Then lower it a bit.
    It will change a little with load distributions & props. My pld water logged 20 ft Stratos (1989 model) with a rebuilt Rude 200 would run 65 with a 26 x 15 SS Trophy. I would change my prop out to a 24 if I had a heavy load.
    Watch your tach.
    Raise it up as long as you don't over rev it and still have 4 - 5 pounds PSI.
    The set back or width behind the transom of the jack plate will have some effect. SOme of the newer boats have 10 inches of setback!

Quote Originally Posted by JD1960 View Post
    I just bought a 2016 Triton 18trx with a merc 150 4 stroke, I measured the prop to pad and i am at 4 1/2". Ive only had the boat out a couple short times and got about 52mph on the spedo. It sounds like im low. I dont have a water psi gauge. Do I need a gauge before raising?

11. Member
    Does raising the motor on the jack plate create more or less bow lift?

12. Member
    Hello...I am new to this forum and aluminum boating. Bought a 2018 Tracker PT 195 TXW 40th Anniversary with a Merc 150 4 stroke. I am trying to figure out if it has the right prop on it. I can only get about 52 mph. It has a Tempest Plus 24p SS prop. I am trying to figure out where to take these measurements from...pad to concrete??? where exactly is the "pad"? This boat does not have a flat spot near the rear of the boat.

13. Member

191 champlon

Is 3.5 inches prop to pad good on my 191 champion 200 efi just set it up test drive tomorrow?

14. Member

Tready

Use a 6 ft. Level prop to pad

15. Member
    The very bottom of the back of your boat is the bottom of the pad

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12