Pat Goff

Looking for Help? Please Read First

If you're looking for setup help, please include the following:
    Boat model & year.
    Motor model, HP, year.
    Exact prop information.
    Exact current results at wide open throttle, full trim, fishing load.
    All characteristics, lift, roostertail height, how stiff is steering, any chine walk, time for holeshot.

If you don't give this, you will not get good advice.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

2. Member
    My boat is a 2003 stratos Pro 201 XL with a Mercury 250 XB. Has a 3 bladed 25p FURY PROP, 8 inch setback hydraulic jackplate. I run around 5500 rpms but it has more but I severely start chiming at 67 mph. I have had 72 mph and had to back off. It has alot more left but i cant figure why she wants to chine so bad at upper 60's. I have one hell of a hole shot ( i would say almost instantanious) already and have been slowing dropping the motor to see if it changes. Maybe just need more boat time. Wanted to see if you had any suggestions. NO ROOSTER, Steers effortlessly with Hyd. steering. I have never had it wide open.

Where do you have your jack plate set when your running? Do you adjust it according to speed or you run with it all the way down, up or in the middle etc........

4. Member
    I started off with it set in the middle, then tried raising a little, now have lowered. When she starts to chiming, i have to back off immediately. I guess i do not totally understand the hydraulic jackplate concept. Everyone i have talked to say they set it to the spot it runs best and leave it. I am sure i will need more boat time as i went from a 96 skeeter 150 to a stratos with a 250 but i have owned the other boat 10 years but that had a stationary 10 jackplate. i do have alot of water time, just not with this type of power and jackplate.

5. Member
    it is hard to compare a 150 with a 250 on a Stratos .Stratos is a fairly fast hull. You can't hardly make a boat chine walk with a 150. I suggest you make sure the boat is balanced properly(weight wise), then find someone to go out in your boat and show you how to drive it .What you want is to stop the boat from ever chine walking in the first place. This is relatively easy to do.You will feel the boat going to the right,before it goes gently pull the wheele to the left.You will have to make this small correction several times.Don't jerk to the left. Most people over drive it when learning. I was guilty of this. Thankfully my father was in the boat and taght me how to drive at high speeds(80 to low 90's.It is truly like riding a bike-after you get it you won't forget and you wont even think about it.

6. Member
    here is a problem i am having with 2oo2 nito 898 single console it has 2008 mercury 225 opti prop is a mercury trophy plus 4 blade 25 pitch also have 26 pitch spare with a full tournament load full tank of fuel and live wells it takes everything that motor can do to get on plane some time the co-angler moves to the front to help it also has a 6 inch manual jack plate it has worked for me thus far but im getting powerpoles and with that much more weight in the back its going to be harder the jack plate is all the way down and i think(im no expert) it should be down another 3 to 4 inches is it possible that some could of put the jack plate on wrong thnx any info will be useful

7. Member
    also the boat wot runs about 59mph full load at 5500-5600 rpm

8. Member
    2003 triton tr19 PDF w Yamaha 200 hhiding
    mercury tempest pro one vent hole plugged 25p
    running half to three quarters fuel full loaded boat 2 personnel.

Im having issues planing and chine walk a lot on the top end I can chop wheel left a little and it will slow it back. Plane I get up to about 3000-4000 and it stays there and takes awhile to get plane . Looking for suggestions

Thanks, travis

9. Pat Goff
    Go down, start a new thread, this is just for information.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

10. Member
    I have a 1996 nitro savage 912 20ft 6in with hydraulic jack plate and a Mercury 225 efi. I had a 4 blade trophy plus 25 pitch on there with 2 open holes and 2 holes with open plugs and in struggled to get out on plane. I just put a 3 blade tempest plus 25 pitch and it still struggles out of the hole. I currently have 1 solid plug in it and 2 open holes. Jack plate is set where motor is about 2 inches from the ground but when I take of with the tempest it almost prop washed when I get it all the way on plane so I have to let off the throttle and get back in it and the hole shot is better but still bad. I just want to get better hole shot but a good top speed at the same time thanks for help in advance.