Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

False River reports

put False River reports here

2. Member

Re: False River reports (cjdauth)

Killing the fish right now on False River. Go to the lilly pads on the south end of the river and throw a 1/8 ounce buzz bait. They seem to like it over the larger 1/4 ounce. Went Wed. caught 15 fish with 10 keepers. All fish were caught by 9:00 am and were released. Good luck.

100% Registered Coon-ass

3. Member

Went out this morning...got out about 8:15....tried Troy's (bayou fisher) approach...couldn't find anything....not even a bite on the buzzbait, fluke, or spinner bait...then turned around, and started where I had started first but went the other way....needless to say, had I done that first, I coulda loaded the boat...managed to catch about 20 or so I guess, all on Heavycover spinner baits...COulda had alot more, but by the time I foundthem, it was 9:30 or so, and they only bit for about another 30 minutes....

Went across from Bonaventures (soon to be the site of all new condos from what I hear) and caught another half dozen or so on crankbaits....

All in all, not a bad day...biggest one woulda went about 3.5 I guess....

4. Member

Re: False River reports (Bayoufisher)

Troy, I saw Danny out there Saturday morning...he didn't look to happy...

The front had come through, and it was tough...I did still manage to catch about 12 Saturday Morning...left at about 8:30 and had probably 3-4 keepers....They were definitely biting different....less bites, but no misses....On friday, they were on the outer edges of the live lillies, and hitting the top good. On Saturday, they were right on the edge of the dead/live lillies, and hitting the top very little....But, the only place again that I could get any bites worth speaking of were on the large point where the lillies come out about 2/3 of the way over toward the New Roads side on the river...two days in a row, and they were stacked up there....

Fishing is fishing bud, I had decent trips both days...nothing to apologize about for sure!!!

tell Danny to get him a couple heavycover spinnerbaits....I tried a few different kinds and different baits, but they were keying on the ones I had gotten from Eric a few weeks back....don't remember the name of them right now, but will find it and let you know!!!You definitely can't buy that color or quality at wal-mart....

5. Member

Re: False River reports (ppcpilot)

Well I decided to make a trip on Tuesday. Probably the worst fishing weather day in the last 2 months Was able to get out of the wind and tried everything.
    Ended up with 5 little knots. Oh well, it beat the hell out of working.

6. Member

Re: False River reports (Cajun Basser)

Fished club tourney 11-7-05. Tried the pads in the flats as you guys suggested with a buzzbait and spinnerbait...came up with nothing...picked up two quick ones in 6ft of water on watermellon/chartruse tx lizard..that was my only 2 keepers..they quit biting at around 8 or 9 on the lizard. I switched to watermellon candy brush hogs and caught probably 10 more, all dinks, except for 2 or 3 that would have been keepers...one was big mamma, for sure...lost me in a ladder....only managed to weigh in 3.40. Considering I have only fished about 3 times this year, I guess it's not that bad. Winning stringer was 10lbs, big bass was 3.5. Lake is low low...be careful as the public landing. Winning stringer was on crankbaits...I think I was the only one in the club fishing plastics..I tried cranks, but couldn't get a strike...I think they maybe wanted the brighter colors; I was fishing more natural shad colored cranks. Thoughts?

7. Member

Just made it back from the river a few minutes ago. I left out from the landing at about 8:35....had a limit at 10:02. Altogether today had about 12 keepers and half a dozen throw backs. Most fish came off of a bandit that I painted to give it a unique look, and caught I guess 6 or so on a Fish Blaster Baits paddle tail worm, black with red flake...

All of the fish were on tree tops in 3-5 feet of water...any deeper and no bites. They weren't burning them up, but I would catch 3-4 off of each spot I stopped at...

Don't know how the front is gonna affect them, but I wouldn't imagine it will do much to them at all tomorrow. I would leave all the plastic at home, though, and just throw cranks or rattle traps. Immediately after this front, they should be kinda finicky on the worm action...

8. Member

Another trip this morning...found the fish scholling up under balls of shad...got about 20 or so on a heavycover spinner bait, rockville color. Was back at the house for around 8:00....

9. Member

CJDAUTH, It's been several years since I've fished False River. Tell me about the landings situation. Last I remember the public landing in town was very steep ( can't do steep landings by myself being an amputee ) Any sugestions ?
    Just James

10. Member

Re: False River reports (vnvjames)

James, the public landing is pretty steep. the only other options right now would be Jim's landing on the north end of the river (just a couple miles by truck from the public landing), or LA Express on the south end of the river. Jims would probably be the easiest for an amputee, being as you pull your boat right up to the bank in the canal there. LA Express wold be easier to get out in the river cause the water will be very low at Jim's, but you will have a pretty good step down to the boat from the pier at the landing.

11. Member

thanks Chad, I will drive up without my boat and check out both landingd ( gives me a reason to go there on the wife and my Sunday drive ) keeps her happy and me fishing.
    Just James

12. Member

Re: False River reports (vnvjames)

Went Saturday...struck out..not one bite. That's the first time I have gone there and not caught a fish. Lillies are gone in the south end. I fished cranks, spinners, tx worms and lizards, and a little carolina rigging...not a bite. Not too many people bass fishing...one boat said they had 5, caught on jigs...one other boat we saw had 0. I don't know what I could have done different...I would assume if they didn't bite on soft plastics, they wouldn't hit a jig, but shows you how much I know. Also went in the south canal...full of leaves and very clear. I need fishing lessons, I guess!

13. Member

Last week did fair on 3 days of fishing managed to catch 5 to 7 weighers each day from 8 to 4. Today however was horrible. The lake is muddy from end to end. Caught 12 with two weighers. The lake needs to settle a bit before I go back.

Respectfully,
    Captain Rab
    V1CO 1:27 But God has chosen the foolish things of the
    world to put to shame the wise; and God has
    chosen the weak things of the world to put to
    shame the things which are mighty

14. Member

1-1-06

Went today from 1-4:30. No bites at all. Tried C-rig, tx-rig plastics, jig, 3 different crankbaits, spinnerbait, and a rogue.

Chad, help me out here...what did I do wrong?

Spoke with 4 others...same response...no bites. Then saw a 22ft Z Ranger with a 275 Verado. He and his buddy had 10. I think he was lying, trying to justify that nice boat...

That Verado sure is nice...that's the first one I've seen run..and that's all you do...you can't hear it at all at idle...

15. Member

PPC pilot, not you at all....I haven't seen that lake this screwed up in a long time.. Went today for 5 hours with a buddy. WE struggled to catch a total of 6 with no weighers.
    Now you know why she has been called the Dead Sea...It has been horrible for a week now.. Once the water clears up I think it will get better
    As far as Verado man I doubt anyone is catching weighers much less a 2 man 10 fish double limit. Maybe 10 bream or shad

Respectfully,
    Captain Rab
    V1CO 1:27 But God has chosen the foolish things of the
    world to put to shame the wise; and God has
    chosen the weak things of the world to put to
    shame the things which are mighty

16. Member

Re: False River reports (Cajun Skeeter)

Well, I went back yesterday and no big fish were to be found. I caught 7 small fish in 7 hrs. One fish was ~ 14.5" and the rest were probably 12-13".

For some reason, every fish that I caught went absolutely nuts and came flying out of the water several times. I've never seen them so "wild".

17. Member

Re: False River reports (Cajun Skeeter)

I have a question: What happened to the "Big Bass" fishing at False River?

Was it taking away the slot or the grass dying? Just wondering.
    2009 Nitro Z-7, Mercury 175 Pro xs, Hydraulic steering, Motorguide 82lb TM, HDS 7 w/ structure scan, Lake Insight, and Eagle 640c at console HDS 7 Lake Insight at bow networked , 3 bank charger, 6" manual Slidmaster Jackplate.

18. Member

Re: False River reports (KLSU)

Yes.....

A couple things happened...the slot removal was certainly a big part of it IMO. Tons of pressure after the slot was removed, lots of fish in livewells. Lots of fish fileted on piers, grass was sprayed, and the biggest factor was LMBV. When the virus hit it hard a few years back, we had a tournament that week....In a 200 yard stretch, I bet I counted 30 fish over 6 pounds floating. I caught two fish still alive with my hands that went 7 and a half and almost 9 pounds. I brought one of them home, still alive and called LDWF and told them I had a fish if they needed to test for LMBV (this was before the "major" kill). They said no, it wasn't LMBV but an algae bloom from the grass depleting the O2 levels (was a major drought that year and very hot). They said this was exactly why they needed to spray the grass again in the river....a month later, I saw an article in the advocate about the river having LMBV in it....

19. Member

Well that sucks. Seems like they would bring back the slot to try and make it a "Trophy lake" again since it was so successful last time or is LMBV still in the fish at False River?
    2009 Nitro Z-7, Mercury 175 Pro xs, Hydraulic steering, Motorguide 82lb TM, HDS 7 w/ structure scan, Lake Insight, and Eagle 640c at console HDS 7 Lake Insight at bow networked , 3 bank charger, 6" manual Slidmaster Jackplate.

20. Member

Re: False River reports (KLSU)

Once it gets into a water system, it is in it and you can't get it out....Every water body in the state has it now....the last to fall was St John.

It seems from what they know that stress causes most of the problems with it....low DO levels, extreme droughts, very hot water, etc.....all the things that were happening in the river 5 years ago. As long as the fish are "healthy", habitat wise as well, they don't seem to succumb to it nearly as much....

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast