Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Bayou Black Reports

put Bayou Black reports here

2. Member

Re: Bayou Black Reports (cjdauth)

fished out of BB this weekend, caught 5 and missed a few others. The water is low and dirty. fished about 8 different canals and was back at the landing for 2:30. Not too bad considering the conditions, but one good thing i saw was the number of ducks that were down. Thousands! , i hope this year is better than the last 4!

3. Member

Re: Bayou Black Reports (cjdauth)

Has anyone fished the Bayou Black area lately? If so, how is the water quality post hurricanes? Thanks.

4. Member

Re: Bayou Black Reports (Chad)

It is pretty much hit and miss. When you can find good water, you can usually catch a few. The sac-a-lait are starting to bite really good.

5. Member

Re: Bayou Black Reports (rocket..300)

Help! Fishing a club tourney next month down here, and have no idea what to look for...IM me if you have any suggestions!

Thanks!

6. Member

Re: Bayou Black Reports (ppcpilot)

ppcpilot, I don't know if you got my IM, but I'll try to help you.

7. Member

I did. Thanks!

8. Member

Re: Bayou Black Reports (ppcpilot)

Anyone know of any hot spots?
    Fishing a tourny there saturday>
    How is the water, heard it was really muddy and salty?

Any help!!

9. Member

Re: Bayou Black Reports (Javelin Jay)

Went this afternoom from 2 til 7, caught 12 bass( 8 keepers )...........Red shad Culprit, on the points in Orange Grove.

10. Member

Me and Chad 7n7 went this afternoon. It sucked .....2 fish on senkos right at dark.

11. Member

Fishing still slow along the intercoastal waterway. We managed 3 dinks on plastics.

12. Member

Won another club tournament, but the fishing is still kinda tough. Clean moving water is the ticket. I fished 2 canals off of Bayou Penchant and caught about 12-15 bass, 4 redfish and a choupique. The fish were caught early or when a cloud was overhead. Caught them on red shad worms and chrome/black chug bug.

13. Member

Re: Bayou Black Reports (Rocket MaN)

2 day club tourney this past weekend out of Amelia, terribly boring fishing. 1st place around 10lbs for two day total, 2nd around 8 then barely anything down the line. Club members fished from Bayou Penchant in the Marsh up to Crackerhead in Verret. Winner fished Verret, 2nd and 3rd fished for 12inch fish in the Marsh. I only manageda handful of 13 inch fish in the canals off of Lake Palourde on Tiki Stick in cypress roots. I guess with fishing being so slow, it can only get better.
    Highlight of the weekend was eating lunch.

14. Member

Re: Bayou Black Reports (ZL)

Do you have any idea what is wrong with South LA bass fishing? I mean it has been horrible and not even worth the time and money this year. I think WLF needs to do some extensive studies on the areas and find out what is wrong and try and fix it. I have fished the Verret area my whole life but it seems to get worse ever year since Andrew. Verret area has always been such a nice place to fish but now you are hard pressed to find anything except gar. What do you think needs to be done?
    2009 Nitro Z-7, Mercury 175 Pro xs, Hydraulic steering, Motorguide 82lb TM, HDS 7 w/ structure scan, Lake Insight, and Eagle 640c at console HDS 7 Lake Insight at bow networked , 3 bank charger, 6" manual Slidmaster Jackplate.

15. Member

Re: Bayou Black Reports (KLSU)

In my opinion a few things need to happen....
    The first and most important thing would be to have a spring flood on the atchafalaya river. Getting some rain, and having some high water during the spring will help. Next we need to get rain during the summer, I think the chronic low water we've had because of the droughts ever since 2000 has taken a tremendous toll on the fish. I did really well in the basin after andrew, but my catches have plummeted ever since the drought of 2000. It would also be nice to get a cold winter so some of the grass that's taken over in the basin would die back.

16. Member

Re: Bayou Black Reports (Hydrasports205)

I did real well in the basin up until this year but Verret is a different story. Verret hasn't been the same since Andrew. The low water lately has made it go from bad to worse.
    2009 Nitro Z-7, Mercury 175 Pro xs, Hydraulic steering, Motorguide 82lb TM, HDS 7 w/ structure scan, Lake Insight, and Eagle 640c at console HDS 7 Lake Insight at bow networked , 3 bank charger, 6" manual Slidmaster Jackplate.

17. Member

IMO I believe the only thing that can heal the problem is time. Intensive stocking and research will only go so far. An annual flood of the Mississippi River would be a start, but in the past few years the waters of the river are being used for various purposes throughout the entire watershed, thus reducing the natural historic flood. Habitat diversity and water quality are two main management principles that need to remain constant. But in the mean time it is really testing my frame of thought every time we have a club tourney down there. I questioned my ability to catch fish several time throughout the past weekend and even decided to call it quits early one day. Big bass was 2.5lbs, terrible. Everyone can usually get by with the saying, " they are down there, but you just can't catch'em," but from tourney results this past year I really can't hold this as the truth.

On the bright side duck season starts in the east zone this weekend, cool weather will soon get the bucks up and moving, solid speckled trout are still slamming in my backyard (Lake Maurepas), open season on lapin and tree rats, red fish are catchable almost every day the wind allows, and also the Saints actually have a chance at the start of each game!

18. Member

Re: Bayou Black Reports (ZL)

I agree saltwater fishing is great but I love bass fishing. I like to catch specs and reds but it isn't the same as going to areas like Verret and spending the day catching bass. I am not saying I am the best bass fisherman but I do know I use to catch a lot of fish in Verret and now I don't and neither does anyone else I know. I think I could say for a fact Verret isn't 1/10 the fishery it was before Andrew. Thing is even after Andrew I could catch bass pretty consistently until the past 2 years and now if I catch 2 dinks it is a good morning. The best fish I have caught in Verret in 2 years is around 4lbs in 4 mile bayou and nothing else even close. I just hope something is done before we lose that area forever.

P.S. I heard of people catching redfish in Verret this year!

19. Member

I will also agree with you guys. Up until last year, Flat Lake has been my go-to spot for all of my tourneys in that area. Now, all of the hydrilla is gone and I can't even buy a bass in that lake.

As far as Verret, the last time I caught decent fish was 2 years ago in the Willow Tree canal. Since then, I can count on two hands the number of fish I have pulled from the lake. I was one of the lucky ones to catch a redfish in Verret. The only place I caught bass this summer was in Belle River, and it wasn't much.

Bayou Black has dissapointed me this year also. We had a decent spawn, but the post-spawn and summer was horrible. No buzzbait bite at all. The redfish are also infesting this area. It's sad to see this area go downhill so fast. I hope something can be done or this will turn into saltwater marsh before we know it.

20. Member

Re: Bayou Black Reports (Rocket MaN)

I wish somebody would do a report on Verret with WLF and find out what is being done to save this area.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast