Thread: Verret Reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Verret Reports

put Verret Reports here

2. Member

Re: Verret Reports (cjdauth)

Fished Verret this morning. I knew it was going to be a tough day with the full moon, bluebird sky , and front that moved thru last night but went anyway. Water is lower than normal. Put in at Attackapas landing and tried fishing the southend with no luck. Wind was pretty bad out of the north so we headed north and fished the outside trees. Managed to catch 3 bass by 10:30 which isn't great but not bad for those conditions. I had to get home for the LSU game but think 12:00 - 3:30 might have been a good time if I could have stayed. Oh well at least I know Verret isn't completely dead!
    2009 Nitro Z-7, Mercury 175 Pro xs, Hydraulic steering, Motorguide 82lb TM, HDS 7 w/ structure scan, Lake Insight, and Eagle 640c at console HDS 7 Lake Insight at bow networked , 3 bank charger, 6" manual Slidmaster Jackplate.

3. Member

Re: Verret Reports (KLSU)

Fished Verrett out of bayside for a club tourney March 19th 2006. Water is low and muddy. Made 3rd out of 5 with only 4.5 lbs...all fish caught in crackerhead canals on soft plastics. Did catch several smaller ones, though. Big fish of the day for the club was only 3.5. Wind was blowing 15-20mph. Some canals in crackerhead had some decent water, kind of clear, rootbeery looking....didn't find any green water. Backs of canals seemed to be more dead water than anything; most bites came from the front portions. Lake was too rough to fish. I am still not impressed with this area.

4. Member

Re: Verret Reports (ppcpilot)

My nephew and I put in at Bayside Monday morning and went to my normal first spot, only to have the north wind blowing too hard for us to work our baits effectively. We left and went to the Crackerhead area. We found some nice water that was protected from the wind and ended up with 3. Two were right at 14". They ended up fileted in the freezer. The lake was really rough and we both got a little wet on our way to Crackerhead. The run back around 1:00 PM wasn't bad at all.

Lake Verret has the most trash fish of any lake I've ever fished. I can't make a trip without hooking a gar, choupique, or gaspergoo. This trip, it was the gar. They were biting our baits into pieces or breaking our lines. All in all, not a bad trip, though.

5. Member

Re: Verret Reports (BlazerFAN)

Last week, my 2 nephews and I went back to the same canals in Crackerhead system and zeroed unless you count 2 choupique. The gar were bad, too.

6. Member

Re: Verret Reports (BlazerFAN)

A team from the last tournament went to Verett and caught a few in the main lake, rather than in the canals...maybe this is a better place this time of year...perhaps a lot of fish migrate out of the canals into the main lake after the spawn?

7. Member

I have fished the verette and spillway all my life and I have never had such a tough time catching fish. Even in the middle of Summer when finding bigger fish can be tough to catch 20 13" fish was not hard. I think the combination of the water being very low and the hurricanes last year has hurt the fish more than I originally thought.
    2014 TRITON 220 ESCAPE / MERCURY 250 PROXS

8. Member

Re: Verret Reports (stratos285)

I agree. I have also fished Verret my whole life and never have had problem catching fish in the main lake area until Andrew. Seems like Verret never recovered from Andrew. Almost all the grass is gone and then you add it is only 1 foot 200 yards from the bank in most places makes it hard for fish. I talked with a friend of mine who is a marine biologist for LA and he told me Andrew silted in a lot of the areas and killed the underwater grass. This is why the bass are having a harder time. I miss Verret!
    2009 Nitro Z-7, Mercury 175 Pro xs, Hydraulic steering, Motorguide 82lb TM, HDS 7 w/ structure scan, Lake Insight, and Eagle 640c at console HDS 7 Lake Insight at bow networked , 3 bank charger, 6" manual Slidmaster Jackplate.

9. Member

We had a discussion about this at our club meeting last night...some people said they did catch fish the week before the tourney, but it just seems awfully tough. One member said he went to the Wildlife and Fisheries meeting the other night...right after the 'cane, they released a ton of fingerlings into the spillway by belle river landing...he said they went back and shocked, and did not find a single fingerling...

10. Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ppcpilot &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...right after the 'cane, they released a ton of fingerlings into the spillway by belle river landing...he said they went back and shocked, and did not find a single fingerling...</TD></TR></TABLE>

They did the same thing on the Mandalay Refuge in Bayou Black one month ago. Went back and shocked it and found none.

11. Member

I caught 4 keeper size bass in 4 mile bayou about 2 months ago and that was the most I have caught in years. The overpopulation of Gar probably ate all the small bass.

12. Member

Re: Verret Reports (Chad)

Fished Verret yesterday with little luck. One Bass 2.9 lb on frog and 5 throw backs on brushhogs. Water low but looks very good in the lake.

13. Member

Re: Verret Reports (Ranger-461VS)

Fished a club tourney Saturday night, we caught 17 bass by the Stephensville bridge, in the main bayou. All fish on a red shad worm. We had 4 keepers (14"+), with the biggest @ 3.60#. Find good moving water, the fish are there.

14. Member

Re: Verret Reports (rocket..300)

I figured Stepensville would be good this time of year.

15. Member

Re: Verret Reports (Chad)

Have a tx sat at belle river public landing...spillway has been slow, from what I have heard, so am considering the belle river side..xcept I have never been there? What kind of areas are there..are there docks, grass, wood, etc? is the water nice in the main belle river? I am pretty confident around docks, but don't know if the docks (or are there any docks?) hold fish there...any ideas much appreciated!!

16. Member

Fished out of Adams on Saturday, 9-9-06. Started in Old River and that little section of the 21" canal...heavy heavy grass and no bass...fished the little cove area on the way back out of old river and didn't get a bump...no fish busting water or anything. Went back down to bayou long and caught one dink on a worm and missed one on a buzzbait. Went into Magazille, and didn't do anything there, either. Magazille looks like it would be a good place to start the morning next time...water is fairly deep with some grass and lots of wood...north area of belle river looks like crap..muddy and weeds and hyacinths scattered everywhere. Anywho, troll motor shaft broke in half about noon o'clock, so didn't get to fish the rest of the afternoon. Most people I talked to only had 1 keeper or they had zero; I think one guy in the club did have 6 fish for 11+ lbs, not too shabby. I have no idea where or what he was fishing.

My fishing has been way way off this year. Makes me want to quit.

Lee

17. Member

Got some startling news today about Verret from our family who lives at Attackapas Landing. People are catching REDFISH in their nets in Lake Verret. If this is true then saltwater is way further North than we expected. Not good news for an area already in trouble.

18. Member

There was a 26" redfish caught by a discharge pipe in the Miss River @ DOW in Plaquemine! Saw that one in the advocate paper. We also saw dead catfish and shad in old river and in bayou long. The catfish prolly came out of a catfish trap...an old man we ran into said he was having problems with dead catfish. I saw several large shad belly up in spots...those big 10 inch ones. I guess they could have come out of crab traps or something...or we have a little fish kill action happening. It can't be that bad if one of our guys had over 11# with 6 keepers...not that the weight is that much to brag about but I guess it shows that the fish are in there....

Anything happening on Verrett lately?

Coonnasty

Cajun Navy 2016
    2000 X21 DC, 225 EFI

20. Member

Re: Verret Reports (coonnasty)

Went last weekend, two small bass. I think we have a while to go. Maybe a year or so....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast