Spillway@Pigeon Reports

put Spillway@Pigeon reports here

2. Member

Re: Spillway@Pigeon Reports (Chad)

Tough day in Pigeon!

What a horrible day in the spillway today. We had 2 boats, 5 fisherman, and caught zero bass not even a knothead bass. This is the first time I can remember not catching a fish while bass fishing in the spillway. Oh well there is always next time. Hope someone did better than we did.
    2009 Nitro Z-7, Mercury 175 Pro xs, Hydraulic steering, Motorguide 82lb TM, HDS 7 w/ structure scan, Lake Insight, and Eagle 640c at console HDS 7 Lake Insight at bow networked , 3 bank charger, 6" manual Slidmaster Jackplate.

3. Member

Re: Spillway@Pigeon Reports (KLSU)

Glad to know I wasn't the only one...
    Had a club tourney on Saturday, the 18th from Pigeon...10 fishermen, 5 zeros. But, as always, somebody whacks them, and the first place team caught over 30 bass, and weighed in 10 for 26+lbs...big fish was almost 7lbs...all on jigs.

Go figure...we threw jigs the majority of the time with not even a bite...makes it seem like these guys are in some other plane of existance.

4. Member

Re: Spillway@Pigeon Reports (ppcpilot)

Where were they fishing? I fished jigs and brush hogs all day also without a single good strike. I will say that I am no spillway expert but still I usually catch a nice mess of fish when I go there but those guys had a heck of a day. We were in the bayou cowen area most of the day.
    2009 Nitro Z-7, Mercury 175 Pro xs, Hydraulic steering, Motorguide 82lb TM, HDS 7 w/ structure scan, Lake Insight, and Eagle 640c at console HDS 7 Lake Insight at bow networked , 3 bank charger, 6" manual Slidmaster Jackplate.

5. Member

Somewhere in Catfish, I think. I'm not sure.

6. Member

i will be going this sat. to start scouting for the BFL i will let you all know something then

7. Member

Re: Spillway@Pigeon Reports (skeeterman420)

Fished club tournament out of sorrell, but did my fishing from pigeon...tough day. That was surprising, since we had wind, partly cloudy skies, slow fall on the rivers, new moon, etc...9 boat tournament (18 people) and 4 fish for 7.5 or so won it...we came in 4th with 2 fish for 4.35. First thing in the morning, we found a runout with moving water, and fished and fished it with nothing to show for it. Then we ran to a canal off Reed and came away with zilch...then moved to big pigeon and after casting to a stump 15 times with a crankbait, finally got one short fish to bite. Ran into grand lake and the water looked bad where we were, the first stand of cypress if you turn left into the lake...fished back up big pigeon and a canal off to the right, nothing there either...tired and frustrated, we ended up in what i think was the canal to catfish bayou. We caught our two keepers with some non keepers by ripping cranks through the grass. If we would have stumbled on to this pattern earlier, we prolly would have won the thing. People we talked to said catfish looked really good, but we didn't make it there...one guy said he caught 5 that went about 10lbs on a red shad worm back there. That is the only guy that we talked to that caught anything other than one or two. The team that won the tournament had one fish all day in pigeon, then later in the day, ran back to Sorrell and caught 3 keepers there...said they hit crawfish colored lures. It was a very strange day...I fished sorrel 2 weeks ago and caught 2 short fish, and that was it. We did find a dead end canal loaded with gar..I counted 10 in one little spot about 6 ft across. My guest (dad) hooked into a 4ft long gar and stuck him in the back fin. I don't even think he knew he was hooked...he just started stripping drag...Dad thought he had a 10lb bass on because of all the shaking from it's tail..we always have a good time, no matter the circumstances.

8. Member

Fished yesterday(7-8). Mostly fished in Cross Bay and a couple of canals off of there. Caught one good keeper (2.5 lbs.) and lost a pretty good fish. Nothing after 9:00, except 1 gar. Water was low and muddy.

9. Member

Re: Spillway@Pigeon Reports (mlshooter)

Any word on what the water looks like @ Pigeon? Thinking of going in the morning but didn't want to waste a trip.

10. Member

Went yesterday afternoon to Bayou Sorrel.Put in around noon and fished several different canals on the way to Berry Lake.Ended up with two strikes in a canal by the pumping station.The water had an orangish/rust tint to it,nasty looking.Talked to other guys out there and they had no luck either.Tried worms,lizards,jigs,brush hogs.Strikes on Brush Hogs.

11. Member

Re: Spillway@Pigeon Reports (Earnhardtkixit)

Fished Pigeon 7-28-07 club tourney..had 5 or 6 boats (12 fishermen). Started day over past blue camp, had a couple small fish blow up on a frog, but didn't connect. Went out in grand lake behind one of the islands and threw the frog over duckweed and hyacinths...had some really good blowups from big fish, but they would never eat the thing, just slap at it. Moved from there and went a while without a bite. Ended up in catfish and caught one 14" fish. Had lots of goggle-eye bites though. 4 fish for 7lbs won it. Had 4 people zero. Pretty sad. The spillway is about to get written off my list to fish...ever since Kat and Rita, I haven't had any good trips.

12. Member

What was the water like? High?

I was thinking of going on Saturday but maybe I will head somewhere else but just not sure where. Bass fishing in South LA isn't to good right now it seems.

13. Member

It was a little high...what was wierd, was, when we put our boats in at the landing, the tail ends didn't swing toward the south, as they usually do..they swung the other way, like up river!

Not much grass to be found anywhere. If you do go, I would stay in grand lake and frog and flip those duckweed areas behind the islands.

14. Member
    Fished pigeon on monday caught at least 30 bass with 7 keepers. One flopped off the deck after measuring. Also ran trout lines after dark and did pretty good! Not too many brim to be found but didn't wast too much time on them cause bass were hittin!

15. Member

Re: (10shotgroup)

Nice catch..did you catch them in pigeon itself? We must have just gone on a bad day..

16. Member
    Everywear but the Lake. Must have burnt 20 gal. of gas.

17. Member
    Fished Bayou Pigeon on Friday 8-24-07. Boated 27 bass with only 1 keeper. Stopped fishing at 11:00 am due to rain STORM! Once the clouds rolled in, the fish stopped hittin. WATER IS REAL LOW.

18. Member

Re: (10shotgroup)

Any news from Pigeon? I am thinking of going there in the morning.

19. Member

Re: (KLSU)

caught about 25 bass in bayou sorrel area, all caught on grape shad culprit worm , water was a little high but falling, water was clear mostly, no keepers, fished from sorrel to grand lake, pigeon was muddy