Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member

Re: Amite/Tickfaw Reports (KLSU)

Where is freds? Im looking for new places to fish. Been fishing around the ruddock area without much luck. I bought a new bass boat a few months ago and i am sick of not catching anything. Any help will be appreciated.

2. Member

Re: Amite/Tickfaw Reports (brayden)

Nevermind found it,went there today and the water wasn't moving and very muddy.

3. Member

personally i've never done much of anything in colyell bay, but know guys that bust their butt in there (or so they say)

I haven't fished since the spring so i can't be much help either. I'll probably hit the river on friday for the first time since April. Fish the movin water if you can find any - shouldn't be so much of a problem now that we've gotten some rain.

Re: Amite/Tickfaw Reports (bullet92)

In coyell bay you must be perch fishing cause I never hear of any bass catching in there. There is a launch at Bayview on Hwy 16 in Coyell Bay.

5. Member

You need to stop going to Rudduck and Amite for bass. I have never heard of those places really holding bass and there was a huge fish kill after Katrina, so what little they had are gone. Head to the Oxbows in the summer or Pigeon is usually a your best choices for bass eventhough this year it has sucked up until now.

2009 Nitro Z-7, Mercury 175 Pro xs, Hydraulic steering, Motorguide 82lb TM, HDS 7 w/ structure scan, Lake Insight, and Eagle 640c at console HDS 7 Lake Insight at bow networked , 3 bank charger, 6" manual Slidmaster Jackplate.

6. Member

Re: Amite/Tickfaw Reports (Hydrasports205)

Have you caught 50 or even 10 since Katrina? If so you would be the first person I have heard catching any fish besides a few dinks since Katrina.

Modified by KLSU at 10:59 AM 7/19/2006
    2009 Nitro Z-7, Mercury 175 Pro xs, Hydraulic steering, Motorguide 82lb TM, HDS 7 w/ structure scan, Lake Insight, and Eagle 640c at console HDS 7 Lake Insight at bow networked , 3 bank charger, 6" manual Slidmaster Jackplate.

7. Member

I caught some good fish in the spring (the last time I fished), but they weren't down toward the lake. I fished around blind river one time and only managed a few. If I were going fishing on the Amite I probably wouldn't fish much south of Port Vincent. As far as I could tell the fish kill/water quality problems didn't extend up to Port Vincent. Keep in mind, people catch fish on the Amite, but most of them that do well keep their mouth shut about it.

If I can finish getting my motor put back together tonight I'll give ya'll a report on the Amite tomorrow.

8. Member

I'm with you KLSU, anyone who has been catching "Quality" fish consistently since the storm deserves a celebration and some . I fish the Blind River/Amite (mostly Blind River) system very often, have relatives that spend most of their lives at their camp, and we all know the system as good as any. Last summer we managed to have several 50+ days (schoolies and shad busters) down blind river and were consistently catching quality fish. Once the shad started down the river schooling fish were extremely easy to catch by the dozen. But since the storm the quality fish seem to be non existent (but I'm sure they are still around, still huntin for them). Five fish stringers over 12lbs were easily attainable and 3.5 to 4lb kickers came daily.

Currently from my observation, the amount of forage(shad, hering, etc.) is far above average for this fishery in recovery stage (oh boy remember 92 ), but the "majority" of bass to my knowledge that have been caught are dinks (1 to 2 yr. old fish) and predominately while bream fishing with small lures or live bait. My buddy fished several of the weekly cookie jar tournaments held out of canal bank earlier this year and most tournaments only yielded 3 to 10 fish weighed total between all the anglers and most fish came from a single stretch down the Amite. I believe or they were at least talking of canceling the tournaments all together due to the low catch rate.

On the positive side of things the forage is there, rain is finally starting to wet the area (minimally), and I have seen 150+ small bass throughout my current trips to the area, swimming in small schools along the bank and near the camp that average 6-10inches, I have caught around 50 dinks while bream fishing Blind River, but mostly in Reserve Canal. So if all holds well, give the system 1 preferably 2 years and we should be wacking them again. No real secret to fishing the river, just have to know the effects of tides and where it positions the fish and you will become effective. We have caught quality fish near Pass Manchac recently, but not on the rivers.

Now it's time to go and try to finally catch a 3.5 to 4lb BucketMouth!

Just my 2 cents!!!
    Nah, looks more like $2 worth.

9. Member

Re: Amite/Tickfaw Reports (ZL)

weel i can agree with you zl i had my good days and i had my bad here lately i been catching a few fish in coyell bay and went down to manchac this past weekend and actualy caught some nice fish in the mouth of lake marpaw on june bug worms fishing them very very slow on the botom.2 weeks ago i went to coyell bay and caught the heck out of them on a whight spinner bait its just a hit and miss kinda deal i guess the fish are there. the lady at the bar said that wild life and fisheries turned som 1500 bass and brim loose at the landing and from what i understand the were all about 10 in long are longer. that would be a good thing if we dont have another katrina come throught here again.but you fish coyell bay at the mouth of amite river on the point and then come back down the right hand bank and fish a spinner bait slow. YOU WILL CATCH SOME FISH so now i put my 2 cents in now alll we needed to do is start catching some damn fish!

10. Member

I heard through the grapevine that there are a few bass being caught (hit and miss) out on the lake shore around the mouths of the Amite and Reserve Canal.

I'm currently swapping boats and motors, etc. so I have not had the chance to hit the rivers lately.

11. Member

yes iv heard the same thing. some friends of moine spear fish down ther and they say around the prarie canale on the stumps in the lake out deep they are seeing some pretty big bass around the stumps im going sunday and going to see what i can catch

12. Member

I fished the Lake, Reserve, Blind River, and the Oil Well Canal this weekend. Headed out with strictly bass in mind but turned to Salt-water style fishing. The Specks and Reds are all over in Maurepas and so are the bass. I fished with dudleys, and actually caught two bass on one cast with a double rig that were both over 16 inches (probably will never happen again).

The fish count: Saturday 3pm-8pm = 48 specks (only 10 keepers), 3 bass over 12" (still swimming), 1 redfish, 10 ladyfish, 1 Goo.
    Sunday 5pm-8pm = 20 specks (5 keepers), 4 Bass (1.0, 2.5, 3.0,2.0 still there for you to catch), 1 Goo, and 3 Croakers.

Lots of tipsy, weekend boaters on the water, but still managed to have a good time while rockin in their wake.

13. Member

Did you catch the specks at the second marker? I went out there a few weeks ago and did not catch any specks but did manage a few bass and a black drum. We watched some big jack cravells feeding early in the morning but we were unable to catch any.

14. Member

Re: Amite/Tickfaw Reports (yella225)

We had to fish further in to catch the specs. Went today and only managed to catch a few dinks, looks like the bite was best at the beginning of the outgoing tide.
    If you see a red and white Hydra-sport with a 115 Johnson, Holla!! I'm always in the area.

WOW those Jacks were sure smashing them mullet!!!!

15. Member

More of the same, 18 keeper trout Saturday, 22 keepers Sunday. Fished from 4:30pm to 7:30pm.

We are sure getting salty. Where is the Maurepas Swamp Diversion Project when we need it. I don't know if it's just me, but the leaves on the cypress trees on the lakeshore are turning brown, may be salt related. Shrimp everywhere.
    Saltiest I've seen it.

16. Member

Alrighty - first short fishin trip since the spring. Fished the Amite above Port Vincent for about 1.5hrs while running the boat on Friday 9/1. Managed 2 fish, 1 about 13", the other about 16"....with a few other bites that felt like perch. Sunday went to Sorrento and fished in New River. The water looked great...fished for about 2hrs before dark without anything. At least it was nice and quiet....wish I would've had time to run out to the lake.

17. Member

The North wind killed most of my spots off the lake this past weekend, only managed 10 keeper trout and 4 bass. Hope it improves this weekend.

18. Member

At least that makes me feel a little better about what I did....When you plannin to be out there this weekend? I'm definetely going again friday afternoon - I just hate to be out there saturday or sunday with all the morons.

Still haven't figured where you are catching above Port Vincent, must be Bayou Manchac, went there in April and only had a few small fish.

20. Member

Re: Amite/Tickfaw Reports (RogerR)

I've only got one spot in Manchac where I've ever consistently done anything and it's usually only good for 1 or 2 fish. I've got a couple of spots I'll show ya some time, but honestly dont want to say on the open forum - does that make me an a-hole...I hope not. Seriously, don't waste your time in manchac, aint much to be caught there. Depending on the conditions you're better off heading up to Jones Creek and fishin deep around the trees. By the way, if ya'll happen to be on the amite around the mouth of manchac I've got a smokey Joe midrange bandit hung up in the cypress tree on the point....ya'll are welcome to it.....
    PM me Roger....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast