Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast

KY Lake & Barkley Reports Posted Here

Please post all KY Lake & Lake Barkley Reports in this thread.

2. Member

Weekly Fishing Report September 1, 2005

September 1, 2005

Kentucky Lake: Water level at Ky Dam - 357.90 Surface Temperature - 85
    Lake Barkley: Water level at Barkley Dam - 358. 10 Surface Temperature - 85

Both lakes are one foot below summer pool and on a slow drawdown. The lakes rose two feet with all the rain received in the area from tropical storm Katrina. No one was venturing on the water earlier in the week due to the high winds from the storm so reports this week are basically from the past two days and those from last weekend. The water on Kentucky Lake is clear but the water on Lake Barkley is heavily stained to stained from the rains.

This is normally the busiest weekend of the summer season here on the big lakes but I am not sure how busy it will be this weekend with the gas prices and reports of some gas shortages beginning to show up in the area. Hopefully everyone will come to the lakes as planned and just not spend as much time running their boats to save on gas. Be careful on the water this weekend and keep an eye out for floating debris from the rise in water this week and now the drawdown. I did not see but a few obstuctions on Ky Lake today but that does not mean there is not more out there and I would be especially careful on Lake Barkley.

The Largemouth Bass are being taken on the main lake ledges and the bite was good today with current now being generated around the clock with the drawdown. These fish are being taken on Deep diving crankbaits, Carolina rigged creature baits and worms, slow rolled spinnerbaits and jignpig. There has been an excellent early morning and late evening bite in the bays on secondary points and on the flats in the back of the bays as fish are feeding on schools of baitfish. These fish are readily taking topwater lures, spinnerbaits, crankbaits, sinking worms and flukes.

The Smallmouth Bass are slow but some are being taken on the main lake river ledges on Carolina rigged creature baits as well as in the bays early and late in the day on secondary points using tube jigs and jignpig. The night Smallmouth bite has been slow on most nights but occassionally you will get a good night by fishing main lake points and secondary points in the deeper bays with tube jigs, jignpig, and dark colored spinnerbaits.

Some of the productive lures reported this week are: Lucky Craft Sammy in ghost lemon shad and american shad, Rebel Pop R in black chrome and Rico poppers in shad patterns, Zoom horney toad in green pumpkin and watermelon/red/pearl, Hook Some Bass spinnerbaits in blue glimmer, Zoom flukes in shad patterns, Rapala DT series crankbaits in parrot and grey pearl shiner, Hook Some Bass tubes in smoke purple and chameleon craw, Zoom brush hogs in watermelon red and Net Baits Paca Craw in green pumpkin and summer craw.

The White Bass are being taken along the river channel ledges by vertically fishing with inline spinners and small spoons. These fish are also being taken by trolling these lures behind a deep diving crankbait along the ledges.

Some Crappie are being taken in the 20 ft depth range on the old creek channels near the mouths of the bays by spider rigging small jigs and small minnows.

The Catfish are biting with the current now being generated along the old river channels. These fish are being taken on bottom rigs baited with yellowtail and cut baits.

The Bluegill are being taken shallow in the bays near vegatation on crickets and worms fished under bobbers. Some of the bigger bluegill are being taken on deep rocky creek channel banks near wood cover and deep vegatation.

If you are in need of a guide for some fun bass fishing, tournament preparation, lake familiarization, or technique instruction don't hesitate to give me a call or drop me an email. I have the following dates available for booking in September and October:

Sept: 7, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, and 26
    Oct: 9, 10, 11, 13, 14, 15, 21, 25, 26, 28, and 30

I would like to ask each of you that read my report each week to not only include in your prayers those folks that have been severely affected by Hurricane Katrina but also to please contact the Red Cross or Salvation Army and send them a donation to assist these folks. Big or small, every penny counts right now to alleviate the suffering of our fellow americans.

Dave Stewart
    Bass Buster Guide Service
    270-354-5039
    dave@kentuckylakeguide.com
    http://www.kentuckylakeguide.com
    "Fish with a Professional"

3. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar

Re: Weekly Fishing Report September 1, 2005 (Dave Stewart)

9-4 and 9-5

Found some (read 5 for 2 partial days) keeper fish in the grass on the East side of the lake. They were caught on a shallow crankbait over the grass and on a Horny Toad. Much slower than it has been. Was a little rough to fish the drops between the boat traffic and northeast wind. I watched the weigh-in of the weekend Bass series Sunday at Paris Landing. Only 5 or so limits, most people had less than 3. Big fish on the boater side was 5lbs. and 4+ on the non-boater side. Winning weight was ~11-14.

SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

4. Member

Re: Weekly Fishing Report September 1, 2005 (RoddyRude)

I heard about that weight last Saturday in the BASS...reports like that make me wish sometimes that I was tourney fishing again...my client would have kicked their butt on Ky Lake last Saturday...had a report from another of my client's that fished Ky Lake on Saturday and he would have kicked their butt too...makes one wonder what they were doing in that tournament that they could not do any better.

5. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar

Re: Weekly Fishing Report September 1, 2005 (Dave Stewart)

Don't know what the deal was. David (Scotty) Young won. He usually is pretty strong. He couldn't believe he won with that low of weight either.

I fished non-boater in the Everstart this year. I couldn't believe where my boaters were fishing as good as the bite was on the drops.

Report for 9-11-05 caught a 3' snake on a junebug woolly hawgtail in a shallow stake bed. He hit a slow presentation in about 18-24" of water. I believe this pattern would hold up for the rest of the lake.

Modified by RoddyRude at 9:23 AM 9/12/2005
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC

Bring Back Gluten!!!

6. Member

Weekly Fishing Report September 15, 2005

September 15, 2005

Kentucky Lake: Water level at Ky Dam - 355.78 Surface Temperature - 81
    Lake Barkley: Water level at Barkley Dam - 355.70 Surface Temperature - 82

Both lakes are a little over 3 ft below summer pool and on a slow drawdown to winter pool. We have a major cold front passing thru the lakes area this evening with a forecast for the weekend of temperatures in the 70's and low 80's for the weekend with night time low's in the mid 50's to low 60's. With the drop in water levels there are a number of obstuctions showing up in areas where normally there are none so be very careful when running the lakes.

The Largemouth Bass are in early fall transition patterns which means that there area a myriad of patterns working or not working on any given day. Largemouth are being taken on the main lake ledges and ledges in the bays on Carolina rigged creature baits, deep running crankbaits and jignpig. Largemouth are also being taken on main lake points and secondary creek channel points in the bays on crankbaits, spinnerbaits, Texas rigged creature baits and tubes and jignpig. There is a good early morning and late evening bite on shallow flats especially those with submerged vegatation on topwater lures, spinnerbaits and lipless crankbaits.

The Smallmouth Bass are being taken on main lake ledges and main lake points during the day on Carolina rigged creature baits, crankbaits and jignpig. There are a number of Smallmouth being taken early and late in the day on shallow flats, especially those with vegatation on topwater lures.

Some of the productive lures reported this week are: Lucky Craft Sammy in ghost lemon shad, american shad and aurora blue, Rebel Pop R in bone and shad patterns, Booyah buzzbaits in white and black, Bandit crankbaits in blue/chartruese and speckled back, Lewis rattletraps in blue/chrome and smokey joe, Hook Some Bass spinnerbaits in blue glimmer, Zoom brush hogs in watermelon/candy and junebug, Net Baits paca craws in summer craw, Hook Some Bass tubes in chameleon craw and green pumpkin and Hook Some Bass jigs in pumkin/pepper/green.

The Crappie are still being taken on creek channel ledges on the main lake near the mouths of the bays and over deep brush piles at the mouths of the bays on creek channels by spider rigging with small minnows and jigs. These fish are staging to move into the bays and this should happen when the water temperatures drop a few more degrees.

The White Bass are being taken on the main lake ledges on inline spinners and small spoons fished vertically and by trolling these lures behind deep running crankbaits. I saw a number of jumps this week over deep ledges on the main river channel on Ky Lake but they were in short duration.

The Catfish are being taken on the main river channels by fishing bottom rigs baited with yellowtail and cut baits.

The Bluegill are being taken on shallow flats near heavy vegatation and along rocky creek channel banks on crickets and worms fished under bobbers.

If you are in need of a guide for some fun bass fishing, tournament preparation, lake familiarization or technique instruction don't hesitate to give me a call or drop me an email.

I have the following dates open for booking at this time:
    Sept: 27
    Oct: 9, 10, 11, 13, 14, 15, 17, 21, 27, 28, and 30.
    Nov: I have a number of dates open in November

October and November can afford some of the best bass fishing of the season if you like shallow water fishing.

Dave Stewart
    270-354-5039

7. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar

Re: Weekly Fishing Report September 15, 2005 (Dave Stewart)

9-18-05

The grass was full of bass this afternoon. Caught 7 keepers and around that many short fish in 3 hours. They were biting most anything.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC

Bring Back Gluten!!!

8. Member

Re: Weekly Fishing Report September 15, 2005 (RoddyRude)

When does the grass start to disapear ? I didnt see any last October while I was there and I would have liked to .
    President
    Team Bass Xtreme & Buckeye Elite Anglers Trail
    www.teambassxtreme.com
    Buckeyeelites.com

Re: Weekly Fishing Report September 15, 2005 (Midwest Sportsman)

Hi Phil/ You might try posting this same question in the IN/KY Bass Club, right here: http://www.bbcboards.net/zeroforum?id=68

These guys will frequent that page and share info.

10. Member

Weekly Fishing Report September 22, 2005

September 22, 2205

Kentucky Lake: Water Level at Ky Dam - 355.99 Surface Temperature - 80
    Lake Barkley: Water Level at Barkley Dam - 355.85 Surface Temperature - 80

Both lakes are 3 ft below summer pool and on a slow drawdown to winter pool. Expect the lakes levels to drop another one foot in October barring a big influx of water. High pressure and near record warm temperatures has been in control of the lakes area for the past couple of days which has slowed the fishing some but this should rebound later this weekend or early next week. Earlier in the week the fishing was good. This is normal during the fall transition time when the water temperatures go up the fishing will slow some until they start dropping again. The forecast is for a cooling trend at the end of the weekend and possibly some foul weather from the remnants of Hurricane Rita, of course the track of this toward this area won't be known for sure until after it makes landfall.

The Largemouth Bass are being taken on a number of patterns from deep water to shallow. There are bass being taken on the ledges on the main lake and around the mouths of the creeks. These fish are being taken on Carolina rigged creature baits, jignpig and slow rolled spinnerbaits. Some good fish are being taken early and late in the day on the flats in the bays especially near vegatation on topwater lures, spinnerbaits and lipless crankbaits. Largemouth are being taken in the grass beds during the day on weedless lures. Largemouth are also being taken on creek channel banks and secondary points on crankbaits, tube jigs and jignpig. As you can see, many patterns are available as is normal during a transition period and these patterns can be good one day or slow the next so you need to be versitile this time of year.

The Smallmouth Bass are slow on the main lake ledges and points but a few are being taken along the river channel ledges on Carolina rigged creature baits and tubes as well as jignpig. Some Smallmouth are being taken shallow in the bays near vegatation early in the morning and late in the day on topwater lures.

Some of the most productive lures reported this week are: Lucky Craft sammy in ghost pearl lemon and american shad, Hook Some Bass spinnerbaits in blue glimmer, Lewis rattletraps in blue/chrome and smokey joe, Bandit crankbaits in parrot and splatterback, Zoom brush hogs in watermelon candy and junebug, Hook Some Bass jigs in black/blue, Hook Some Bass tubes in chameleon craw and smoke/purple

The White Bass have been active on the main lake flats and also on flats in the bays. These fish are being taken on inline spinners and small spoons on a slow retrieve. I have witnessed a number of jumps of good fish some flats in the bays this week.

The Crappie are being taken on the main lake ledges and ledges around the mouths of the bays over deep brush piles. These fish are being taken by spider rigging small jigs.

The Catfish are being taken along the main river channel ledges on shrimp, yellowtail and leeches fished on bottom rigs.

The Bluegill are being taken around docks and in the backs of the bays near weed beds on crickets and worms fished under bobbers.

Today is the first day of autumn. Soon the water temperatures are going to cool down enough to move large numbers of shad and predatory fish into the bays and the fall feed will be on. I am already having some good shallow water fishing but it is going to get a lot better here soon.

If you are in need of guide for some fun bass fishing, tournement preparation, lake familiarization or bass fishing technique instruction don't hesitate to give me a call or drop me an email. October and November are prime fall bass fishing times.
    I have the following dates available for booking:
    Sept: 27
    Oct: 9, 10, 11, 13, 15, 17, 28, and 30
    Plenty of dates available in November

Dave Stewart
    270-354-5039

11. Member

Re: Weekly Fishing Report September 22, 2005 (Dave Stewart)

Thanks for the report Dave . I cant wait to get down there . Only 10 days left until im on my way . I hope the weather and the fishin gets better when I get there . I would love to bring home those 2 brand new boats this year .
    President
    www.teambassxtreme.com
    Buckeyeelites.com

12. Member

9/22-9/24

Just got back from 2 ½ days at Kentucky Lake. As usual, Dave’s report and info is up to date and accurate so I cant add anything else in the way of particulars.

On Thursday morning we had our best three hours of fishing. We caught two five pounders in very shallow water in the back of creeks in the grass on Sammy and buzzbaits. We also managed two other keepers by 8 a.m. We then moved onto the flat and threw spinnerbaits and Rattle Traps and managed five more fish with three being keepers. By 10 a.m. that bite stopped so we tried my favorite ledge. Immediately we caught another 15 inch fish and a three pounder on C rigged brush hawgs then we did not get another bite on any ledge. The rest of the day we ran to the back of creeks and mainlake pockets and fished the grass with spinnerbaits and horny toads and managed a few more fish. That evening we went back to topwater and managed three or four more fish but the bite was obviously slowing for us so we moved to the mainlake where the wind was blowing onto the LBL side. We found a gigantic pod of baitfish on a gravel point and managed to catch three more keepers and several short fish in the last half an hour off that point in the last ½ hour of daylight. We guessed we had about 17 pounds in our five best fish (two five pounders helped ). We also fished for fourteen hours so we had lots of time.

Friday went a little different for us. We managed three keepers first thing in the morning on Sammy and buzzbaits in the shallow grass but when the sun got over the trees it was over. We then went to several ledges and did not get a bite. I think my stubbornness cost us a little as I spent too much time running ledges on Friday and the ledge bite was not happening for us. Spent the rest of the day south of the 68 bridge running creeks. We managed to pick a up a few fish but they were all short. When the sun began to set we caught four keepers and a few shorts in the grass back on the north end of the lake. Had about 10 pounds in our five best fish but only had about 7 or 8 keepers with several shorts for the day as a whole.

Fished Saturday morning from ½ before sunrise until about 11 am. We caught several fish shallow on topwater with three keepers. When the sun got up we moved to some docks and caught a lot of short fish on tubes and jigs. Our fishing slowly degenerated as the trip went on but all in all we caught enough fish to make it fun. There seemed to be lots of tourneys running on Saturday morning so it will be interesting to see the weights.

Lake is dropping slowly so stay in the channel markers. Stay safe.

Buck

Re: 9/22-9/24 (Rippinlip)

Thursday sounded awesome! Sounds like a good trip

14. Member

Re: 9/22-9/24 (mikedaleo)

The fishing sounds like its doing very well right now . There were some nice bags brought to the scales this past weekend at the BFL event held there . A guy that fishes my tournament circuit up here in Columbus Ohio took 1st pl. in the non boater side with 29# 7oz . The guy who won the boater side had a 21+# sack on day 2 and I heard that the lake was pretty rough . I sure hope I can find some of them at our tourny the 6th & 7th down there .
    President
    www.teambassxtreme.com
    Buckeyeelites.com

15. Member

Re: 9/22-9/24 (Midwest Sportsman)

Fishing was good to us the weekend of the 24th/25th as well.

We won the USA Bassin Classic with a 2-day total of 24.47 pound total. We brought 17.7 Pounds to the scales on Sunday to take it, despite quitting over an hour early due to TM battery failure. Seemed like everything we did worked. All our fish were caught on ledges/drops. 9 pounds of those Sunday bass were taken 25 ft. deep on a ledge that dropped to 35 quick and then sloped to 40. Had we fished that deep spot longer we may have had more weight.

And the lake was a rolling pretty good. We stayed on KY, on the LBL side to get a little shelter from the wind/waves. We were still rockin pretty good, but it wasn't bad until you tried to get out in the REAL weather. Of course, when you're catching a 3 pounder every 20 minutes or so, you don't notice much else.

Feel free to e-mail if you want any info on what we were doin. I can't give away that deep spot, but our shallower drop was right near a community hole and I think a dozen boats must have either been fishin or drivin within 200 Yds when one or both of us were settin a hook. We didn't get any real size off the spot (found a single 3 and 5 other keepers under 15.5"), but we did find a small limit there before culling the 15 inchers deep. The upside of the spot was that we were constantly getting bit.

Good luck when you're there.

CC

CC

16. Member

Re: 9/22-9/24 (Rippinlip)

Congrats on your win . I will be down there on Moday and hopefully with the info I keep recieving I can put something together .
    President
    www.teambassxtreme.com
    Buckeyeelites.com

17. Member

Weekly Fishing Report September 28, 2005

September 28, 2005

Kentucky Lake: Water Level at Ky Dam - 355.52 Surface Temperature - 79
    Lake Barkley: Water Level at Barkley Dam - 355.45 Surface Temperature - 79

The first big fall cold front passed through the area here early this morning bringing with it high north winds and cooler temperatures. The overnight temperature tonight is forecasted to be in the low 40's and tomorrow night in the high 40's. The extended 10 day forecast is for overnight lows primarily in the mid to high 50's. These cooler night temperatures will certainly start lowering the water temperatures and will start moving more fish into the bays for the fall feeding period. Both lakes are 3.5 ft below summer pool and are being drawn down over the next 24 hours another 6 inches to 4 ft below summer pool which is normal for October levels. The fishing has been good this week both shallow and deep for the bass. I did not get on the water today but I would have expected a slow bite with the cold front and water drawdown at least in shallow water. I would expect the shallow water bite to be off for another day or so until the water stabilizes and then depending on how fast the water temperatures drop the shallow bite should pick up to be even better than it has been lately as more fish move into the bays.

Largemouth Bass: The Largemouth are still being taken on fall transition patterns, that is: Largemouth are being taken on the humps and ledges on the main lake and near the mouths of the bays on Carolina rigged creature baits and slacked lined jignpig. Largemouth are also being taken in the bays on secondary points on crankbaits, Texas rigged tubes and creature baits, spinnerbaits and jignpig. Largemouth are also being taken in shallow water on the flats and in the grass beds. There is a good early morning topwater bite on some mornings in shallow water off the grass beds and then a good bite in the grass beds on buzzbaits and soft plastic grass fishing lures. There are some schooling fish moving in and out of the flats during the day and these fish are being taken on crankbaits and spinnerbaits. As you can see there are a myriad of patterns either working or not working on any given day right now as is typical for the fall transition time. The shallow water bite should get better and better over the next couple of weeks as the water temperatures drop and more fish move shallow to feed up for winter.

Smallmouth Bass: The Smallmouth Bass are being taken on main lake points and ledges on Carolina rigged creature baits and jignpig. Some Smallmouth are being taken in shallow pockets early and late in the day on topwater lures as they are schooling on baitfish.

Some of the productive lures reported this week are: Lucky Craft sammy in ghost pearl lemon and american shad, Booyah buzzbaits in black and white, Rebel pop r in white and shad patterns, Hook Some Bass spinnerbaits in blue glimmer, Bandit crankbaits in speckled back, blue/chartruese and white, Zoom brush hogs in watermelon/candy, Zoom horney toads in green pumpkin/pearl, black/pearl and watermelon/red swirl, Hook Some Bass tubes in chameleon craw, watermelon/purple and smoke/purple and Hook Some Bass and Stanley jigs in brown, black/blue and green pumpkin.

The Crappie are being taken along the creek channel ledges near the mouths of the bays over brush piles in 12 - 15ft of water by spider rigging with small jigs. Some reports of Crappie being taken early and late in the day over brush piles off secondary points in the bays have been received.

The White Bass are still being taken along the main lake river ledges and on the adjacent flats on inline spinners and small spoons. I have run into a number of white bass schools feeding on the flats in the bays during the day while bass fishing this week. I have caught some nice white bass while throwing small spinnerbaits for Largemouth bass in these areas. This pattern should increase over the next couple of weeks.

The Catfish are being taken on the main river channels on bottom rigs with leeches, shrimp and cut baits. Some catfish are being taken on deep rocky banks as they are feeding on schools of baitfish. I have caught some few big catfish this week on the flats in the bays while fishing for Largemouth Bass. This should be a good time to jug fish the flats with these hungry big cats moving shallow to feed on baitfish.

The Bluegill are being taken on creek channel banks near wood cover and also in the grass beds using worms fished under bobbers.

The fall shallow water fishing is getting started and should only get better over the near future. If you are in need of a guide for some fun bass fishing, tournament preparation, lake familiarization or technique instruction don't hesitate to give me a call or drop me an email.
    I have the following dates available for booking:
    October - 17, 28, and 30
    November - a good number of dates still available and November can be some of the best bass fishing of the season so if you are thinking about some fall bass fishing give me a call. The great thing about November is that when deer season starts you virtually have the lakes to yourself for some great fishing.

Kentucky Hydrografx has just released a new topo and 3D map of portions of north Barkley Lake which includes Nickel Branch, Willow Bay, Denumbers Bay, Crab Creek and Carmack Bay. This is a must for the avid crappie and bass angler. You can find these cd maps on the internet at http://www.kentuckyhydrografx.com

I would once again like to give praise to great folks at Jet-A-Marina in Calvert City. I had a big problem with my lower unit a couple of weeks ago...actually the problem was my lower unit got taken off by an unseen underwater obstruction in a navigation area. Per usual the great folks at Jet-A-Marina jumped in and got my boat repaired quick and without a hassle, they even coordinated with my insurance company without delay to speed up the repair approval. All I can say is that if you are in the market for a new boat you should look give these folks some attention because anyone can sell you a boat..it is the follow up service over the years that separates the cream of the crop and these folks are definitely at the top.

Dave Stewart
    270-354-5039

Re: Weekly Fishing Report September 28, 2005 (Dave Stewart)

That map looks awesome Dave. i am ordering my this week. Thanks for the info and the report.

19. Member

Re: KY Lake & Barkley Reports Posted Here (mikedaleo)

Fished 10-6 thru 10-9 South Barkley around the State line for me the fish came out of 6-8' depths crankin, some fish could be caught out of lay-downs on a jig but for the 4 days I was there they jacked the water up one day down the next,fish didnt seem to be strong in their Fall pattern yet
    water temp 72-74*
    stained
    about 1/2 foot above winter pool.

20. Member

Re: KY Lake & Barkley Reports Posted Here (Ky 521)

I would like to say thank you to everyone on this board who help me out by giveing me some great info on Ky?Barkley . I used alot of the info and had a great patern going until the front hit and made it almost impossible for me to fish the spots I had picked while pre fishing . Thanks again for everyones help .
    President
    www.teambassxtreme.com
    Buckeyeelites.com

Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast