Page 40 of 42 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 LastLast
  1. Member
    February 28, 2017

Kentucky Lake: Water Level at Kentucky Dam - 354.56 Surface Temperature - 55
    Lake Barkley: Water Level at Barkley Dam - 354.60 Surface Temperature - 55

Both lakes are about one half foot over winter pool. Kentucky Dam was generating at an average rate of 33,000 cfs this afternoon. Barkley Dam was generating at an average rate of 19,000 cfs this afternoon. The latest lake levels , current flows and forecasts for all the TVA lakes can be found at http://www.tva.com/river/lakeinfo/index.htm.

This week kicks off my 22nd season as a full time bass guide here on the big lakes. I am looking forward to a new season on the water with all my great clients. Thanks to all the folks that kept me busy this winter so many of my Eliminating Water Classes. I will now be resuming my weekly fishing reports since I am back on the water and will have good first hand information on the fishing.

Current Conditions: As most of you know, we have had a very mild winter here and the water temperatures have remained relatively high. This has kept the fish feeding all winter and a lot of folks have had one of the best winter seasons here in a long time. The current water temperatures are about 5-7 degress above normal for the first week in March and we are seeing a number of early prespawn patterns on the lakes. Bass are being taken on main lake ledges, main lake channel points and banks as well as on creek channel points and banks in the creeks and bays. Some fish are also cruising the shallow flats on the main lake and also back shallow in the creeks and bays on warmer days.

The forecast for tomorrow is for a 90% chance of severe storms early with a high of 66 and wind W at 20 plus, Thursday is calling for a morning low of 36/ high of 55 with wind W at 9. Friday is calling for a morning low of 32/ high of 50 with wind N at 7. Saturday is calling for a morning low of 34/high of 64 with wind SSW at 10. Sunday is calling for a high of 46/high of 65 with wind SSW at 11. Be sure to check the latest wind and weather forecast before venturing on the water as the weather forecasts can change rapidly this time of year.

Largemouth Bass: Largemouth are being taken on main lake ledges on Alabama rigs and jigs. Largemouth are being taken on main lake channel points and banks on Alabama rigs, medium running crank baits, suspending jerk baits, shakey heads and jigs. Largemouth are being taken on channel banks and secondary points in the creeks and bays on Alabama rigs, suspending jerk baits, medium running crank baits, jigs and shakey heads. Some fish are being taken on shallow main lake flats and on flats in the backs of the creeks and bays on warm days on lipless crank baits and shallow running crank baits.

Smallmouth Bass: Smallmouth are being taken on main lake ledges on Alabama rigs and jigs. Smallmouth are also being taken on main lake channel points and banks on Alabama rigs, medium running crank baits, suspending jerk baits, tube jigs and jigs. The numbers are low but some nice fish have been taken.

Productive Lures: Some of the productive lures reported this week are Picasso Bait Ball Alabama rigs with Kitech swim baits in pearl blue and white as well as Big Hammer swim baits in pearl white. Rapala shadraps in demon and red craw, Rapala shad raps in demon, red craw and original crawdad. Megabass suspending jerk baits in Ito Watsugi, Lucky Craft suspending jerk baits in pearl ayu and aurora black. D&L jigs in "oops" and cumberland craw, Slong's jigs in cumberland craw, Charmer shakey head jigs and Slong's shakey head jigs with Charmer shakey head worms in green pumpkin and Zoom trick worm in green pumpkin/purple, Strike King red eye shad lipless crank baits in red craw and chrome sexy shad. Spro Little John shallow crank baits in spring craw and chartreuse with black back.

Crappie: Crappie are being taken by vertically fishing with jigs tipped with minnows and Crappie nibles over staging brush piles and deep stake beds in the front halves of the creeks and bays in 12-15 ft of water and also the 8-10 ft range. Some Crappie are being taken on warm days by casting curly tail jigs to the banks near brush piles and fishing with minnows under bobbers in 4-6 ft of water.

IF YOU ARE PLANNING ON VISITING OUR LAKES I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE FOLLOWING BUSINESSES FOR ALL YOUR FISHING AND BOATING NEEDS:

Fisherman’s Headquarters is located in Draffenville at the U.S. 68/U.S. 641 triangle, or the Draffenville "Y". FHQ stocks everything an angler could need, from live bait, hooks and bobbers to top of the line tournament bass tackle. More than a "bait and tackle" store, Fisherman’s Headquarters is a true "pro shop", offering advice, training and special order assistance not found online or at the big box retailers. Services even include custom electronics training and installation. The store offers a wide variety of nationally known brands as well as many regional and hard to find items we use on Kentucky and Barkley Lakes. They stock many of the products I rely on daily, such as Charmer Baits, Slong’s lures, Picasso lures, Bag 5 lures and Pro Tungsten weights. From bluegill to bass and catfish to crappie, FHQ has you covered! Stop by and visit or phone 270-527-5938

Jet-A-Marina: If you have a problem with your boat while you are visiting our great fisheries, let me recommend you have the folks in the service department at Jet-a-Marina check it out. These folks have a well known reputation for trying to keep our visitors on the water while they are here if they can possibly do so, especially you tournament anglers. Hopefully you will not need this kind of assistance but if you do, you can find Jet-a-Marina located on U.S. 62 in Calvert City, just a couple of miles north of Kentucky Dam. Jet-a-Marina also has a great showroom for all your boating accessories and check out the new Ranger and Stratos bass boats too as well as bulk oil at rock bottom prices for your engine. Phone: 270-395-4030.

GUIDE SERVICE:

For those of you that may not be familiar with my service: I am a full time catch and release bass fishing guide. I only guide for bass. I have been guiding for bass full time on these lakes for over 20 years and bass fishing the lakes for over 30 years. I do not go out and fish panfish for 4 or 5 days and then try to guide on bass for one or two days.

No one knows everything the bass are doing but one thing is for sure, if you only fish for bass day in and day out, you will have a lot better idea of what they are doing and also be familiar with all the different techniques it takes to be a successful bass angler.

If you book with my service, you will have me as your guide and you will be guided in the comfort of a late model Z522 Ranger Comanche equipped with Lowrance HDS electronics and top of the line tackle. I provide just for fun bass fishing trips, tournament preparation trips, focused teaching trips and technique instruction. If you are in need of a bass fishing guide give me a call or drop me an email.

Available Dates:

March: Sorry, I am booked up.
    April: Sorry, I am booked up.
    May: 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23

Of course I am taking reservations for the rest of the season also through November.

Captain Dave Stewart
    Bass Buster Guide Service
    270-362-9987
    dave@kentuckylakeguide.com
    www.kentuckylakeguide.com
    "Fish With a Professional"

2. Member
    March 10, 2017

Kentucky Lake: Water Level at Kentucky Dam - 354.72 Surface Temperature - 56
    Lake Barkley: Water Level at Barkley Dam - 354.75 Surface Temperature - 56

Both lakes are almost one foot above winter pool. Kentucky Dam was generating at an average rate of 62,000 cfs this morning. Barkley Dam was generating at an average rate of 50,200 cfs this morning. The latest lake levels , current flows and forecasts for all the TVA lakes can be found at http://www.tva.com/river/lakeinfo/index.htm.

General Conditions: Typical of March, the weather has been up and down this past week with two major fronts having transversed the area. Both fronts were preceeded by nice warm days followed by some colder weather after frontal passages. The second of these fronts passed through the lakes area last night. We had a beautiful day yesterday with temperatures reaching into the 70's and this morning we have heavy coat weather with temperatures in the 30's. Fishing success this past week has reflected these ups and downs with some days being productive and some days somewhat tougher. Patterns have remained about the same as last week with bass being taken from the main lake shallow ledges and points to the shallows. The deeper bite has been more consistant but some nice fish have been taken shallow in the creeks and bays and on shallow main lake flats near deeper water.

Looks like winter is back for the near future with Saturday's forecast showing a high of 39/ morning low of 30 with some rain turning to snow during the afternoon and evening. The wind forecast for Saturday is NNE 10. Sunday is showing a high of 45/morning low of 25 with wind NE 6. The extended forecast into mid next week is for daytime high's in the mid 40's/morning low's in the 30's with north quadrant winds. Make sure you check the latest weather and wind forecasts before you venture on the water. The forecast can change rapidly this time of year.

Largemouth Bass: Largemouth are being taken on main lake ledges on Alabama rigs and jigs. Largemouth are being taken on main lake channel points and banks on Alabama rigs, medium running crank baits, suspending jerk baits, shakey heads and jigs. Largemouth are being taken on channel banks and secondary points in the creeks and bays on Alabama rigs, suspending jerk baits, medium running crank baits, jigs and shakey heads. Some fish are being taken on shallow main lake flats and on flats in the backs of the creeks and bays on warm days on lipless crank baits and shallow running crank baits.

Smallmouth Bass: Smallmouth are being taken on main lake ledges on Alabama rigs and jigs. Smallmouth are also being taken on main lake channel points and banks on Alabama rigs, medium running crank baits, suspending jerk baits, tube jigs and jigs. The numbers are low but some nice fish have been taken.

Productive Lures: Some of the productive lures reported this week are Picasso Bait Ball Alabama rigs with Kitech swim baits in pearl blue and white as well as Big Hammer swim baits in pearl white. Rapala shadraps in demon and red craw, Rapala shad raps in demon, red craw and original crawdad. Megabass suspending jerk baits in Ito Watsugi, Lucky Craft suspending jerk baits in pearl ayu and aurora black. D&L jigs in "oops" and cumberland craw, Slong's jigs in cumberland craw, Charmer shakey head jigs and Slong's shakey head jigs with Charmer shakey head worms in green pumpkin and Zoom trick worm in green pumpkin/purple, Strike King red eye shad and Lewis rattletrap lipless crank baits in crawfish patterns. Spro Little John shallow crank baits in spring craw and chartreuse with black back.

Crappie: Crappie are being taken by vertically fishing with jigs tipped with minnows and Crappie nibles over staging brush piles and deep stake beds in the front halves of the creeks and bays in 12-15 ft of water and also the 8-10 ft range. Some Crappie are being taken on warm days by casting curly tail jigs to the banks near brush piles and fishing with minnows under bobbers in 4-6 ft of water.

IF YOU ARE PLANNING ON VISITING OUR LAKES I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE FOLLOWING BUSINESSES FOR ALL YOUR FISHING AND BOATING NEEDS:

Fisherman’s Headquarters is located in Draffenville at the U.S. 68/U.S. 641 triangle, or the Draffenville "Y". FHQ stocks everything an angler could need, from live bait, hooks and bobbers to top of the line tournament bass tackle. More than a "bait and tackle" store, Fisherman’s Headquarters is a true "pro shop", offering advice, training and special order assistance not found online or at the big box retailers. Services even include custom electronics training and installation. The store offers a wide variety of nationally known brands as well as many regional and hard to find items we use on Kentucky and Barkley Lakes. They stock many of the products I rely on daily, such as Charmer Baits, Slong’s lures, Picasso lures, Bag 5 lures and Pro Tungsten weights. From bluegill to bass and catfish to crappie, FHQ has you covered! Stop by and visit or phone 270-527-5938

Jet-A-Marina: If you have a problem with your boat while you are visiting our great fisheries, let me recommend you have the folks in the service department at Jet-a-Marina check it out. These folks have a well known reputation for trying to keep our visitors on the water while they are here if they can possibly do so, especially you tournament anglers. Hopefully you will not need this kind of assistance but if you do, you can find Jet-a-Marina located on U.S. 62 in Calvert City, just a couple of miles north of Kentucky Dam. Jet-a-Marina also has a great showroom for all your boating accessories and check out the new Ranger and Stratos bass boats too as well as bulk oil at rock bottom prices for your engine. Phone: 270-395-4030.

GUIDE SERVICE:

For those of you that may not be familiar with my service: I am a full time catch and release bass fishing guide. I only guide for bass. I have been guiding for bass full time on these lakes for over 20 years and bass fishing the lakes for over 30 years. I do not go out and fish panfish for 4 or 5 days and then try to guide on bass for one or two days.

No one knows everything the bass are doing but one thing is for sure, if you only fish for bass day in and day out, you will have a lot better idea of what they are doing and also be familiar with all the different techniques it takes to be a successful bass angler.

If you book with my service, you will have me as your guide and you will be guided in the comfort of a late model Z522 Ranger Comanche equipped with Lowrance HDS electronics and top of the line tackle. I provide just for fun bass fishing trips, tournament preparation trips, focused teaching trips and technique instruction. If you are in need of a bass fishing guide give me a call or drop me an email.

Available Dates:

May: 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8,12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23

Of course I am taking reservations for the rest of the season also through November

Captain Dave Stewart
    270-362-9987

3. Member
    March 17, 2017

Kentucky Lake: Water Level at Kentucky Dam - 355.66 Surface Temperature - 50
    Lake Barkley: Water Level at Barkley Dam - 355.60 Surface Temperature - 50

Both lakes are one and one half feet above winter pool. Kentucky Dam was generating at an average rate of 62,000 cfs this morning. Barkley Dam was generating at an average rate of 34,500 cfs this morning. The latest lake levels , current flows and forecasts for all the TVA lakes can be found at http://www.tva.com/river/lakeinfo/index.htm.

Current Conditions: I mentioned in last week's report that winter was going to show it's ugly face this week and did it ever. We have had record and near record low temperatures this past week accompanied by high winds from the north. This nasty weather pattern kept us off the lakes this week so I don't have much to report in the way of recent patterns/lures as the weather also kept all the folks I network with off the water also. As you can see, the water temperatures took a plunge this past week and are now 6 degrees below what they were at the end of last week. I expect this has had a detrimental effect of some of the patterns we were fishing before the temperature plunge such as the shallow water patterns we were experiencing with the warmer than normal water temperatures prior to this deep freeze hitting the area.

The good news is that the forecast indicates that we will be experiencing a warming trend over the next week. This should stabilize things and even start a slow rise in the water temperatures although I don't expect the water temperatures will rise as fast over the next week as they dropped this past week. I am ommitting productive lures and patterns in this week's report as I do not have enough verified information over the past week to post an accurate and truthful report. Those of you that have followed my weekly reports over the years, know that I will not make up information just to publish a fishing report.

The only reason I am publishing this abbreviated report this week is so that those of you coming to the lakes this weekend will have a consolidated report on the current conditions. I will be back out on the water all next week and will have a more detailed report for you next week.

The forecast for tomorrow (Saturday) is for a high of 60 and low of 34 Saturday night. Wind is forecasted to be NNW at 15. Sunday is showing a high of 60 with a low of 46 Sunday night with winds light and variable. Monday's forecast is showing a high of 77 and low of 55 with wind S at 15 as the next front approaches the area. There is a 20% chance of showers and scattered thunderstorms on Monday. The extended forecast into mid next week is showing a return to day time high's around 60 and night time low's in the lower 40's with post frontal north quadrant wind.

Make sure you check the latest wind and weather forecast before venturing on the water. These forecasts can change rapidly this time of year.

GUIDE SERVICE:

For those of you that may not be familiar with my service: I am a full time catch and release bass fishing guide. I only guide for bass. I have been guiding for bass full time on these lakes for over 20 years and bass fishing the lakes for over 30 years. I do not go out and fish panfish for 4 or 5 days and then try to guide on bass for one or two days. No one knows everything the bass are doing but one thing is for sure, if you only fish for bass day in and day out, you will have a lot better idea of what they are doing and also be familiar with all the different techniques it takes to be a successful bass angler.

If you
    book with my service, you will have me as your guide and you will be guided in the comfort of a late model Z522 Ranger Comanche equipped with Lowrance HDS electronics and top of the line tackle. I provide just for fun bass fishing trips, tournament preparation trips, focused teaching trips and technique instruction. If you are in need of a bass fishing guide give me a call or drop me an email.

Available Dates:

May: 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8,12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 20, 21, 22, 23

Of course I am taking reservations for the rest of the season also through November

Captain Dave Stewart
    270-362-9987

4. Member
    March 23, 2017

Kentucky Lake: Water Level at Kentucky Dam - 355.87 Surface Temperature - 55
    Lake Barkley: Water Level at Barkley Dam - 355.85 Surface Temperature - 55

Both lakes are 2 feet over winter pool. Kentucky Dam was generating at a rate of 58,600 cfs this afternoon. Barkley Dam was generating at a rate of 43,600 this afternoon. The latest lake levels , current flows and forecasts for all the TVA lakes can be found at http://www.tva.com/river/lakeinfo/index.htm.

Current Conditions: Well we recovered from the deep freeze that hit us all last week and the water temperatures have risen back up 5 degrees since last week's report. This week we have had everything from record heat in the 80's, severe thunderstorms, cooler post frontal days with temperatures in the 50's with most days giving us either high south winds or high north winds. It must be March! We did manage to get out on the water this week and had some good days and some slow days depending on which side of the fronts that have been freight training through the area we have been fishing. We caught bass from the main lake all the way back to the shallow flats in the creeks and bays. Typically what we expect to do on a late March early prespawn pattern. Each day is a little different right now as to what is producing best from suspending jerk baits, crank baits to finesse baits. Our largest bass and more numbers of keeper plus bass came on the overcast days this week fishing back shallow. On the sunny days we did better on main lake points and secondary points in the creeks and bays.

The forecast for tomorrow is for a high of 71/night time low of 60 with more wind from the south at 16 with higher gusts expected. Saturday is looking nasty with a high of 65/night time low of 52 with a 90% chance of thunderstorms (some severe) with wind south at 18 with higher gusts expected. Sunday is showing an expected high of 68/night time low of 52 with a 20% chance of rain and wind west southwest at 14. The extended forecast into mid next week is showing another frontal passage on Monday followed by post frontal conditions Tuesday and Wednesday. Daytime high's in the high 60's to low 70's with night time low's in the 50's. Please check that latest wind and weather forecasts before you go on the water. The forecasts this time of year change rapidly.

Largemouth Bass: Largemouth are being taken on main lake ledges on Alabama rigs and jigs. Largemouth are being taken on main lake channel points and banks on Alabama rigs, deep and medium running crank baits, suspending jerk baits, shakey heads and jigs. Largemouth are being taken on channel banks and secondary points in the creeks and bays on suspending jerk baits, medium running crank baits, jigs and shakey heads. Some fish are being taken on shallow main lake flats and on flats in the backs of the creeks and bays on warm days on lipless crank baits and shallow running crank baits.

Productive Lures: Some of the productive lures reported this week are Picasso Bait Ball Alabama rigs with Kitech swim baits in pearl blue and white as well as Big Hammer swim baits in pearl white. Rapala DT crank baits in demon and red craw, Rapala DT shadraps in demon, red craw and original crawdad. Stike King 6XD crank baits in sexy shad and chartruese sexy shad, Megabass suspending jerk baits in Ito Watsugi, Lucky Craft suspending jerk baits in pearl ayu and aurora black. D&L jigs in "oops" and cumberland craw, Slong's jigs in cumberland craw, Charmer shakey head jigs and Slong's shakey head jigs with Charmer shakey head worms in green pumpkin and Zoom trick worm in green pumpkin/purple, Strike King red eye shad and Lewis rattletrap lipless crank baits in crawfish patterns. Spro Little John shallow crank baits in spring craw and chartreuse with black back.

Crappie: Crappie are being taken by vertically fishing with jigs tipped with minnows and Crappie nibles over staging brush piles and deep stake beds in the front halves of the creeks and bays in 12-15 ft of water and also the 8-10 ft range.

GUIDE SERVICE

Available Dates:

May: 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8,12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17,19, 20, 21, 22, 23

Captain Dave Stewart
    270-362-9987

5. Member
    April 6, 2017

Kentucky Lake: Water Level at Kentucky Dam - 355.17 Surface Temperature - 62
    Lake Barkley: Water Level at Barkley Dam - 355.20 Surface Temperature - 62

Both lakes are one foot above winter pool. Kentucky Dam was generating at an average rate of 64,000 cfs this afternoon. Barkley Dam was generating at an average rate or 51,600 cfs this afternoon. The latest lake levels , current flows and forecasts for all the TVA lakes can be found at http://www.tva.com/river/lakeinfo/index.htm.

Current Conditions: Wind, wind and more wind has been the story here over the past week with just a couple of days of comfortable wind conditions for the fishing. To top that off, the TVA has been fluctuating the water levels up and down which is never good if you are trying to stay with a shallow water bass pattern not to mention what it is doing to the folks trying to fish the Crappie spawn. I noticed the TVA dropped the water levels again about 8 inches between yesterday afternoon and late this morning. We also have had cold fronts coming through every other day it seems. Our water temperatures rose as high as 64 degrees on the morning water temperatures and then dropped back to present levels over the past couple of days with cold fronts. What days we were able to get out this past week, we took most of our bass on secondary creek channel banks and points in the creeks and bays. We did catch some bass on crank baits but the most productive bite was on shakey heads and jigs. We are getting a lot of small buck bass but did manage to boat some keepers up to 5.5 lbs with most of the keepers in the 2.5 to 3 lb range. Hopefully, this pattern of high winds will go away next week and things will settle down and the rapid fluctuations of the water levels will subside as the TVA slowly brings the water levels higher toward summer pool by the end of the month.

Wish I had a better forecast for the weekend but it appears these windy conditions are going to continue for the next few days. The forecast for tomorrow is for a high of 60/night time low of 40 with post frontal wind NW at 15 with higher gusts. Saturday is showing a high of 70/night time low of 54 with wind SW at 15. Sunday's forecast is calling for a high of 75/night time low of 59 with SSW wind 15-25. Monday is showing a high of 75/night time low of 58 with wind SSW at 15. The forecast for next week after Monday is showing the winds are going to subside, let's keep our fingers crossed!

Largemouth Bass: Largemouth are being taken on main lake primary points and channel banks on deep and medium running crank baits, shakey heads and jigs. Largemouth are being taken on channel banks and secondary points in the creeks and bays on medium running crank baits, spinner baits, jigs and shakey heads. Some fish are being taken on shallow main lake flats and on flats in the backs of the creeks and bays on warm days on lipless crank baits, shallow running crank baits and spinner baits. I did get a couple of reports of a few fish being taken shallow on buzz baits and whopper ploppers. This shallow water bite is up and down depending water level fluctuations and cold fronts.

Smallmouth Bass: Smallmouth are being taken on main lake channel points and banks as well as on secondary points and channel banks in the front halves of the creeks and bays on medium running crank baits, tube jigs and jigs. The numbers are low but some nice fish have been taken. These fish are on late prespawn/spawn patterns now.

Productive Lures: Some of the productive lures reported this week are Rapala DT crank baits in demon and red craw, Rapala shadraps in demon, red craw and original crawdad, Bandit medium running crank baits in rootbeer/chartruese, Stike King 6XD crank baits in sexy shad and chartruese sexy shad, . D&L jigs in "oops" and cumberland craw, Slong's jigs in cumberland craw, Charmer shakey head jigs and Slong's shakey head jigs with Charmer shakey head worms in green pumpkin and Zoom trick worm in green pumpkin/purple, Strike King red eye shad and Lewis rattletrap lipless crank baits in crawfish patterns. Spro Little John shallow and medium running crank baits in spring craw and chartreuse with black back and Slong's spinner baits in white/chartruese.

Crappie: The Crappie started spawning last week but have backed off some due to the water level and water temperature flucuations. These are primarily Black Crappie. They are being taken around brush piles in 5-7 ft of water by fishing with minnows or small curly tail jigs under bobbers and by casting curly tail jigs. These fish are moving to the banks early in the morning and during the afternoon on the warmer days and are being taken by casting curly tail jigs and road runner type baits. The White Crappie are staging around brush and underwater stake beds in 8-11 ft of water as well as in 12-15 ft of water. These fish are being taken by vetically fishing with jigs and minnow jig combinations as well as slow trolling curly tail jigs.

GUIDE SERVICE:

Available Dates:

May: 1, 4, 7, 8, 14, 15, 16, 17,18,20, 21, 22, 23
    June: 13, 15, 16, 19, 20, 28, 29, 30

Captain Dave Stewart
    270-362-9987
    "Fish With a Professional

6. Member
    April 12, 2017

Kentucky Lake: Water Level at Kentucky Dam - 357.62 Surface Temperature - 64
    Lake Barkley: Water Level at Barkley Dam - 357.75 Surface Temperature - 64

Both lakes are one and one half feet below summer pool and on a slow rise. Kentucky Dam was generating at an average rate of 13,500 cfs this afternoon. Barkley Dam was generating at an average rate of 7,200 cfs this afternoon. The latest lake levels , current flows and forecasts for all the TVA lakes can be found at http://www.tva.com/river/lakeinfo/index.htm.

Current Conditions: The wind and weather has finally settled down after the big winds we had over the past week and weekend. The lakes are rising and so are the water temperatures. Water is starting to creep up into the yellow flowers and the bases of the button brush and more Largemouth are starting to move shallow on late prespawn and spawning patterns. Of course there are still plenty of fish staging on creek channel banks and associated secondary points in the creeks and bays. Barring any more nasty fronts and if the TVA does not rank the water back down, the shallow bite should be good for the foreseeable future. Be careful running the lakes as the water is rising and there is some wood debris floating on both lakes.

The forecast for Friday is for a high of 81/night time low of 61 with a 20 percent chance of scattered thunderstorms and wind S at 7. Saturday's forecast is for a high of 82/night time low of 62 with a 20 percent chance of scattered thunderstorms and wind SSW at 13. Sunday is showing a high of 73/night time low of 57 with a 60 percent chance of thunderstorms and wind SW at 12. The forecast through mid next week is calling for daytime high's in the 70's, night time low's in the 50's with post frontal winds from the north on Monday and south quadrant winds on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Largemouth Bass: Largemouth are being taken on channel banks and secondary points in the creeks and bays on medium running crank baits, spinner baits, Carolina rigged creature baits, jigs and shakey heads. Largemouth are also being taken shallow near vegatation and wood cover on topwater lures, lipless and shallow running crank baits, spinner baits, Texas rigged creature baits, jigs and whacky rigged worms.

Smallmouth Bass: Smallmouth are being taken on main lake channel points and banks as well as on secondary points and channel banks in the front halves of the creeks and bays on medium running crank baits, Carolina rigged creature baits, tube jigs and jigs. The numbers are low but some nice fish have been taken. These fish are on late prespawn/spawn patterns now.

Productive Lures: Some of the productive lures reported this week are Rapala DT crank baits in demon and red craw, Rapala shadraps in demon, red craw and original crawdad, Bandit medium running crank baits in rootbeer/chartruese, D&L jigs in "oops" and cumberland craw, Slong's jigs in cumberland craw, Last Cast jigs in green pumpkin, Charmer shakey head jigs and Slong's shakey head jigs with Charmer shakey head worms in green pumpkin and Zoom trick worm in green pumpkin/purple, Strike King red eye shad and Lewis rattletrap lipless crank baits in crawfish patterns and chrome sexy shad. Spro Little John shallow and medium running crank baits in spring craw and chartreuse with black back and Slong's spinner baits in white/chartruese, Charmer lizards and timber pups on Texas rigs and Carolina rigs in green pumpkin and green pumpkin/blue, Zoom trick worms whacky rigged in green pumpkin and green pumpkin/purple.

Crappie: The Crappie are spawning. They are being taken around brush piles in 5-7 ft of water by fishing with minnows or small curly tail jigs under bobbers and by casting curly tail jigs. These fish are moving to the banks early in the morning and during the afternoon on the warmer days and are being taken by casting curly tail jigs and road runner type baits. The White Crappie are staging around brush and underwater stake beds in 8-11 ft of water as well as in 12-15 ft of water. These fish are being taken by vetically fishing with jigs and minnow jig combinations as well as slow trolling curly tail jigs.

GUIDE SERVICE:

If you book with my service, you will have me as your guide and you will be guided in the comfort of a late model Z522 Ranger Commanche equipped with Lowrance HDS electronics and top of the line tackle. I provide just for fun bass fishing trips, tournament preparation trips, focused teaching trips and technique instruction. If you are in need of a bass fishing guide give me a call or drop me an email.

Available Dates:

May: 1, 7, 8, 14, 15, 16, 17,18, 20, 21, 23, 24
    June: 13, 15, 16, 19, 20, 28, 29, 30

Captain Dave Stewart
    270-362-9987

7. Member
    April 21, 2017

Kentucky Lake: Water Level at Kentucky Dam - 358.51 Surface Temperature - 68
    Lake Barkley: Water Level at Barkley Dam - 358.75 Surface Temperature - 68

Both lakes are about one half foot below summer pool. Kentucky Dam was generating at an average rate of 52,000 cfs this morning. Barkley Dam was generating at an average rate of 29,400 cfs this morning. The latest lake levels , current flows and forecasts for all the TVA lakes can be found at http://www.tva.com/river/lakeinfo/index.htm.

Current Conditions: Lake levels rose rapidly nearing the end of last week and reached summer pool levels earlier this week. The TVA has dropped the lake levels about 6 inches over the past 24 hours. Above average temperatures this week gave to a rapid rise in the water temperatures to present levels (4 degrees rise over the past week). All of these environmental changes seemed to scatter the bass as they started traveling in large numbers to the shallows. Some bass are on the beds now but there are still fish staging just outside the spawning areas.

My experience this week is that the spawning progression is different in each creek and bay and you just have to figure out if the bite is better on staging areas or back in the spawning areas in each creek or bay that you fish. Certainly having the TVA starting to play with the water levels up and down right now during the spawn is not going to help matters any. We managed limits every day this week but we had to work for them and numbers of big females were scarce for us. We found the best bite for us over all was Texas rigged creature baits and whacky worms as well as some spinner bait bite around submerged flowers both in the spawning areas and on staging points just off the spawning flats. Carolina rigged creature baits, shaky heads and jigs were also producing in the staging areas.

The weather forecast for this weekend is not a good one. A cold front passed through the lakes area last night and it is a strong cold front. The forecast for Saturday is showing a high of 54/night time low of 46 with thunderstorms and wind NE at 20. Sunday's forecast is showing a high of 63/night time low of 46 with rain showers and wind N at 15. Monday is showing at high in the 70's/night time low of 52 with light winds and blue skies.

Largemouth Bass: Largemouth are being taken on channel banks and secondary points just outside the spawning areas on spinner baits, Carolina rigged creature baits, jigs and shakey heads. Largemouth are also being taken shallow in the creeks and bays in the spawning areas near vegatation and wood cover on topwater lures, spinner baits, Texas rigged creature baits, jigs and whacky rigged worms. These fish are on late prespawn and spawning patterns.

Smallmouth Bass: Smallmouth are being taken on main lake channel points and banks as well as on secondary points and channel banks in the front halves of the creeks and bays on medium running crank baits, Carolina rigged creature baits, tube jigs and jigs. The numbers are low but some nice fish have been taken. These fish are on post spawn patterns now.

Productive Lures: Some of the productive lures reported this week are D&L jigs in "oops" and cumberland craw, Slong's jigs in cumberland craw, Last Cast jigs in green pumpkin, Charmer shakey head jigs and Slong's shakey head jigs with Charmer shakey head worms in green pumpkin and Zoom trick worm in green pumpkin/purple, Slong's spinner baits in white/chartruese, Charmer lizards and timber pups on Texas rigs and Carolina rigs in green pumpkin and green pumpkin/blue, Zoom trick worms whacky rigged in green pumpkin, green pumpkin/purple and watermelon/purple.

Crappie: The rapid rise in water levels seemed to have scattered the Crappie somewhat this week. Some Crappie are on post spawn patterns and holding over cover in 10-15 feet of water by trolling small crankbaits or vertically fishing with small jigs and minnow/jig combinations. The are still some Crappie staging around brush and underwater stake beds in 8-10 ft of water. These fish are being taken by vetically fishing with jigs and minnow jig combinations as well as slow trolling curly tail jigs. The reports indicate that the shallow bite on spawning Crappie in 3-6 ft of water is scattered but some fish are being taken on small jigs and minnows under bobbers and by casting curly tail jigs and road runner type lures.

GUIDE SERVICE:

If you book with my service, you will have me as your guide and you will be guided in the comfort of a late model Z522 Ranger Commanche equipped with Lowrance HDS electronics and top of the line tackle. I provide just for fun bass fishing trips, tournament preparation trips, focused teaching trips and technique instruction. If you are in need of a bass fishing guide give me a call or drop me an email.

Available Dates:

May: 8,15, 16, 17,18, 20, 23, 24
    June: 13, 15, 16, 20, 28, 29, 30

Captain Dave Stewart
    270-362-9987

Last edited by Dave Stewart; 04-21-2017 at 06:21 AM.

8. Member
    April 27, 2017

Kentucky Lake: Water Level at Kentucky Dam - 358.44 Surface Temperature - 68
    Lake Barkely: Water Level at Barkley Dam - 358.25 Surface Temperature - 68

Both lakes are about one half foot below summer pool. Kentucky Dam was spilling at an average rate of 183,000 cfs this afternoon. Barkley Dam was spilling at an average rate of 121,500 cfs this afternoon. The latest lake levels , current flows and forecasts for all the TVA lakes can be found at http://www.tva.com/river/lakeinfo/index.htm.

Current Conditions: Lots of changes in the past week and more to come. The cold front last weekend dropped the water temperatures a few degrees but they have recovered to the present levels over the past few days. The lake levels rose to one half foot over summer pool earlier this week but the TVA drew the lakes down one foot to present levels since yesterday. As you can see there is a lot of water flowing through the lakes right now. The lakes upriver are flooding from heavy rains over the past week and they are sending the water down stream. The TVA projected lake levels are changing daily if not hourly right now.

Some of the river pools on the Ohio and Mississippi rivers down stream are approaching flood stages. The local region (Southern Illinois, SE Missiouri, West Kentucky and West Tennessee) are forecasted to receive 4-7 inches of rain between now and Sunday. The question now becomes: If we get all this rain and the Ohio and Mississippi start flooding, is the TVA going to slow down the outflow here on Kentucky and Barkley and back the water up. My gut feeling is they will and the lakes will flood, but I have been wrong before so we will just have to wait and see.

Blue skies and high pressure earlier in the week slowed the shallow water bite although we did manage to catch a few but mostly small buck bass. The better bite this week was on the staging banks and points off the spawning areas in the creeks and bays. We have bass spawning and some post spawn bass as well as bass still in the staging areas to come in. So basically, we are in the middle of the spawn with the TVA playing with the lake levels.

Largemouth Bass: Largemouth are being taken on channel banks and secondary points just outside the spawning areas on spinner baits, Carolina rigged creature baits, jigs and shakey heads. Largemouth are also being taken shallow in the creeks and bays in the spawning areas near vegatation and wood cover on topwater lures, spinner baits, Texas rigged creature baits, jigs and whacky rigged worms.

Smallmouth Bass: Smallmouth are being taken on the main lake in current breaks as well as on secondary points and channel banks in the front halves of the creeks and bays on medium running crank baits, Carolina rigged creature baits, tube jigs and jigs. The numbers are low but some nice fish have been taken. These fish are on post spawn patterns now.

Productive Lures: Some of the productive lures reported this week are D&L jigs in "oops" and cumberland craw, Slong's jigs in cumberland craw, Last Cast jigs in green pumpkin, Charmer shakey head jigs and Slong's shakey head jigs with Charmer shakey head worms in green pumpkin and watermelon/purple and Zoom trick worm in green pumpkin/purple and watermelon/purple, Slong's spinner baits in white/chartruese, Charmer lizards and timber pups on Texas rigs and Carolina rigs in green pumpkin and green pumpkin/blue, Zoom trick worms whacky rigged in green pumpkin, green pumpkin/purple and watermelon/purple.

Crappie: Most of the Crappie are on post spawn patterns and holding over cover in 10-15 feet of water by trolling small crankbaits or vertically fishing with small jigs and minnow/jig combinations. The are still some Crappie around brush and stake beds in 5-8 ft of water but they are scattered.

Bluegill/Red Ear: A few Bluegills and Red Ears have moved shallow but I have not seen any signs of bedding yet. Most of these fish are being taken in small cuts just off the spawning flats in the backs of the creeks and bays around the flooded flowers. These fish are being taken with red worms and meal worms under bobbers and on split shot rigs fished on bottom with red worms.

Jet-A-Marina: If you have a problem with your boat while you are visiting our great fisheries, let me recommend you have the folks in the service department at Jet-a-Marina check it out. These folks have a well known reputation for trying to keep our visitors on the water while they are here if they can possibly do so, especially you tournament anglers. Hopefully you will not need this kind of assistance but if you do, you can find Jet-a-Marina located on U.S. 62 in Calvert City, just a couple of miles north of Kentucky Dam. Jet-a-Marina also has a great showroom for all your boating accessories and check out the new Ranger and Stratos bass boats too as well as bulk oil at rock bottom prices for your engine. Phone: 270-395-4030

GUIDE SERVICE:

Available Dates:

May: 8,15, 16, 17,18, 23, 24
    June: 13, 15, 16, 20, 28, 29, 30

Captain Dave Stewart
    270-362-9987
    Last edited by Dave Stewart; 04-27-2017 at 06:07 PM.

9. Member
    May 5, 2017

Kentucky Lake: Water Level at Kentucky Dam - 357.90 Surface Temperature - 66
    Lake Barkley: Water Level at Barkley Dam - 357.85 Surface Temperature - 66

Both lakes are one foot below summer pool and water levels are rising. Kentucky Dam was generating at an average rate of 36,000 cfs this morning. Barkley Dam was generating at an average rate of 21,900 cfs this morning. The latest lake levels , current flows and forecasts for all the TVA lakes can be found at http://www.tva.com/river/lakeinfo/index.htm.

Current Conditions: In last week's report I told you that the TVA had pulled the lakes down one foot below summer pool as they anticipated that the heavy rains forecasted for last weekend would possibly put the Ohio and Mississippi rivers into flood stages as they were already reporting some minor flooding down stream from the lakes. Well, the rains did come and southern Illinois and southeast Missouri received constant major rains over the weekend. Because of the rapid rise in the water levels on the Ohio and Mississippi, the TVA pulled lakes down another 2.5 ft right after my last report putting the lakes at 3 ft below summer pool. Earlier this week, the river levels down stream of us continued to rise with some now in major flood status. When this happens, the Corps of Engineers takes control of the outflow on Kentucky and Barkley in order to minimize the flood damage downstream, which they did a couple of days ago. The COE directed the TVA to slow the outflow of the lakes which has in turn caused the lakes to begin to rise again, which is now taking place. The latest projection is that the lakes will be 6 inches over summer pool tomorrow and one and one half feet over summer pool on Sunday. These forecasts are changing every day and we still have not received any indication as to how high the lake water's may reach before leveling off. One thing is for sure, the water is rising rapidly and conditions will be changing.

When the lakes were drawn down late last week, this pulled the bass that were shallow either spawning or getting ready to spawn back to the staging areas. As mentioned in last week's report, there were bass on the staging areas, both post spawn and prespawn. The end result of this occurrance of the lakes being pulled down stacked a lot of fish on the staging points and banks. In addition to the fluctuating water levels, we have had lake wind warnings out most days this week. Despite all of these conditions, the bass have been feeding good and lots of fish have been caught by those braving the elements. Another pattern also has developed this past week in that some of the early spawning Largemouth are now starting to show up on the early ledges and some nice fish have also been taken off the ledges this week.

We had two cold fronts come through the area last night bringing us more rain and high winds. The rains have pretty much moved east of the lakes this morning but we have lake wind warnings out today. Tomorrow's forecast is for a high of 70/night time low of 45 with a 20% chance of rain and wind WNW 15-20. Sunday's forecast is for a high of 68/night time low of 48 with wind light and variable.

No doubt the rising waters will send some bass back shallow, there will still be post spawn bass on the staging banks and some will be moving to ledges over the next few days. It will be pick your pattern time. It is also time for the shad to spawn, actually I did receive a couple of reports of some shad spawning this past week. No doubt this added to the good numbers of fish being taken.

Largemouth Bass: Largemouth are being taken on channel banks and secondary points just outside the spawning areas on crank baits, spinner baits, chatter baits, Carolina and Texas rigged creature baits, jigs and shaky heads. Largemouth are being taken on creek channel ledges on the main lake and in the mouths of creeks and bays. These fish are being taken on deep diving crank baits, Carolina rigged creature baits and jigs.

Smallmouth Bass: Smallmouth are being taken on the main lake points and secondary points in the front halves of the creeks and bays. These fish are being taken on jigs, Carolina rigged creature baits and tube jigs. The numbers are low but some nice fish have been taken. I did receive a report of some Smallmouth being taken on ledges (same as above) on crank baits, jigs and Carolina rigged creature baits.

Productive Lures: Some of the productive lures reported this week are Bandit crank baits in rootbeer/chartruese and rootbeer, Rapala DT 6 and DT 10 in bluegill and sexy shad, Strike King XD 6 in sexy shad and chartruese sexy shad, D&L jigs in "oops" and cumberland craw, Slong's jigs in cumberland craw, Last Cast jigs in green pumpkin, Charmer shakey head jigs and Slong's shakey head jigs with Charmer shakey head worms in green pumpkin and watermelon/pruple and Zoom trick worm in green pumpkin/purple and watermelon/purple, Slong's spinner baits in white/chartruese, Chatter baits in white/chartruese, Charmer lizards and timber pups on Texas rigs and Carolina rigs in green pumpkin and green pumpkin/blue,

Crappie: Most of the Crappie are on post spawn patterns and holding over cover in 10-15 feet of water by trolling small crankbaits or vertically fishing with small jigs and minnow/jig combinations. The are still some Crappie around brush and stake beds in 5-8 ft of water but they are scattered.

Bluegill/Red Ear: Bluegills and Red Ears pulled back off the shallow areas they were in before the draw down but they were biting some this week even so as in 3-5 ft of water on the flats in the backs of creeks as well as in the feeder coves. No doubt these fish will be moving back with the water rising and we should see them bedding in large numbers this coming week. Crickets, red worms, wax worms under bobbers and red worms and pinched night crawlers fish on bottom on split shot rig is the ticket for these tasty fish.

GUIDE SERVICE:

Available Dates:

May: 15, 16, 17,18, 24
    June: 15, 16, 20, 28, 29, 30

Of course I am taking reservations for the rest of the season also through November.

Captain Dave Stewart
    270-362-9987

10. Member
    May 12, 2017

Kentucky Lake: Water Level at Kentucky Dam - 363.17 Surface Temperature - 74

Lake Barkley: Water Level at Barkley Dam - 363.25 Surface Temperature - 74

Both lakes are 4 feet over summer pool. Kentucky Dam was spilling at an average rate of 76,000 cfs this morning. Barkley Dam was generating at an average rate of 49,000 cfs this morning. The latest lake levels , current flows and forecasts for all the TVA lakes can be found at http://www.tva.com/river/lakeinfo/index.htm.

Current Conditions: The flooding lakes crested at present levels on Wednesday this week and will begin a slow drawdown today back to summer pool levels. The projection is that this drawdown will be somewhat slow lasting over the next week or so. I mentioned last week that Largemouth were being taken back shallow in the bushes, on secondary staging points and banks in the creeks and bays as well as on early ledges and that basically it was pick your pattern time. This scenario has continued this week as we took fish in all these areas. The water temperatures rose about 8 degrees over the past week with the summer like daytime temperatures we experienced this week. With these water temperatures and the slow draw down now occuring, I expect these patterns will continue but also expect we will start seeing more Largemouth moving to the post spawn areas and ledges as the draw down progresses.

The weather forecast for Saturday is for a high of 75/night time low of 54 with wind NNE 10-15. Sunday's forecast looks good with a high of 81/ night time low of 58 with wind light and variable. The extended forecast into mid next week is showing daytime high's in the 80's, night time low's in the 60's with south quadrant winds.

Flash: There is a lot of debris floating on both lakes so you need to be especially careful when running your boat both on the main lakes and in the creeks and bays.

Largemouth Bass: Largemouth are being taken in the shallows around brush as they are spawning and guarding nests with Texas rigged creature baits, tube jigs and jigs. Largemouth are being taken on channel banks and secondary points just outside the spawning areas on crank baits, spinner baits, chatter baits, Carolina and Texas rigged creature baits, jigs and shaky heads. Largemouth are being taken on primary points on the main lake as well as on creek channel ledges on the main lake and in the mouths of creeks and bays. These fish are being taken on deep diving crank baits, Carolina rigged creature baits and jigs.

Smallmouth Bass: Smallmouth are being taken on the main lake points and secondary points in the front halves of the creeks and bays. These fish are being taken on jigs, Carolina rigged creature baits and tube jigs. The numbers are low but some nice fish have been taken. Some Smallmouth are also being taken on ledges (same as above) on crank baits, jigs and Carolina rigged creature baits.

Productive Lures: Some of the productive lures reported this week are Bandit crank baits in rootbeer/chartruese, Rapala DT 6 and DT 10 in bluegill and sexy shad, Strike King XD 6 in sexy shad and chartruese sexy shad, D&L jigs in "oops" and cumberland craw, Slong's jigs in cumberland craw, Last Cast jigs in green pumpkin, Charmer shakey head jigs and Slong's shakey head jigs with Charmer shakey head worms in green pumpkin and watermelon/pruple and Zoom trick worm in green pumpkin/purple and watermelon/purple, Slong's spinner baits in white/chartruese, Chatter baits in white/chartruese, Charmer lizards and timber pups on Texas rigs and Carolina rigs in green pumpkin and green pumpkin/blue.

Bluegill/Red Ear: Bluegills and Red Ears are being taken around brush shallow as well as on the spawning flats in the creeks and bays in 3-5 ft of water. Crickets, red worms, wax worms under bobbers and red worms and pinched night crawlers fish on bottom on split shot rig is the ticket for these tasty fish.

Catfish: Channel catfish are being taken on rocky banks and points as well as rocky bottom flats in the creeks and bays. These fish are being taken on night crawlers fished under bobbers and on bottom rigs. Some good numbers of these fish are being reported.

GUIDE SERVICE:

Available Dates:

May: 15, 16,18, 24
    June: 15, 16, 20, 28, 29, 30

Of course I am taking reservations for the rest of the season also through November. Make your reservations now to get the dates you want.

Captain Dave Stewart
    270-362-9987
    Last edited by Dave Stewart; 05-12-2017 at 09:45 AM.

11. Member
    May 18, 2017

Kentucky Lake: Water Level at Kentucky Dam - 361.07 Surface Temperature - 75
    Lake Barkley: Water Level at Barkley Dam - 361.10 Surface Temperature - 75

Both lakes are 2 feet over summer pool and on a slow draw down. Kentucky Dam was spilling at an average rate of 73,000 cfs this afternoon. Barkley Dam was spilling at an average rate of 49,000 cfs this afternoon. The latest lake levels , current flows and forecasts for all the TVA lakes can be found at http://www.tva.com/river/lakeinfo/index.htm.

Current Conditions: We have had a mixture of some windy days and some calmer days over the past week since my last report. As I mentioned in last week's report, the lakes are on a slow draw down to summer pool levels. The TVA is projecting that we should reach summer pool levels sometime Sunday. We have taken bass from the shallow spawning areas to the ledges over the past week so the "pick a pattern" continues but we are seeing more numbers of bass starting to show up on the ledges this past week, particularly the early ledges. There is still a lot of debris floating on both lakes so you need to use caution when running the lakes and keep a look out for this debris.

The forecast for tomorrow (Friday) is for a high of 82/night time low of 70 with a 50% chance of thunderstorms with wind SSW at 10. The Saturday forecast is showing a high of 86/night time low of 67 with an 80% chance of thunderstorms with wind S at 14. Sunday's forecast is calling for a post frontal high of 74/night time low of 56 with an 80% chance of morning thunderstorms and wind WNW at 7. The extended forecast into next mid week is calling for high's in the 70's and low's in the 50's. Keep an eye on the sky this weekend for the thunderstorms, expect high winds near the storms with locally heavy rains and lightning.

Largemouth Bass: Largemouth are being taken in the shallows around brush as they are guarding nests with topwater lures, Texas rigged creature baits, tube jigs and jigs. Largemouth are being taken on channel banks and secondary points just outside the spawning areas on crank baits, spinner baits, chatter baits, Carolina and Texas rigged creature baits, jigs and shaky heads. Largemouth are being taken on primary points on the main lake as well as on creek channel ledges on the main lake and in the mouths of creeks and bays. These fish are being taken on deep diving crank baits, spoons, Carolina rigged creature baits and jigs.

Smallmouth Bass: Smallmouth are being taken on the main lake points and secondary points in the front halves of the creeks and bays. These fish are being taken on jigs, Carolina rigged creature baits and tube jigs. The numbers are low but some nice fish have been taken. Some Smallmouth are also being taken on ledges (same as above) on crank baits, jigs and Carolina rigged creature baits.

Productive Lures: Some of the productive lures reported this week are Bandit crank baits in rootbeer/chartruese, Rapala DT 6 and DT 10 in bluegill and sexy shad, Strike King XD 6 in Tennessee shad, sexy shad and chartruese sexy shad, D&L jigs in "oops" and cumberland craw, Slong's jigs in cumberland craw, Last Cast jigs in green pumpkin, Charmer shakey head jigs and Slong's shakey head jigs with Charmer shakey head worms in green pumpkin and watermelon/pruple and Zoom trick worm in green pumpkin/purple and watermelon/purple, Slong's spinner baits in white/chartruese, Chatter baits in white/chartruese, Charmer lizards and timber pups on Texas rigs and Carolina rigs in green pumpkin and green pumpkin/blue.

Bluegill/Red Ear: Bluegills and Red Ears are being taken around brush shallow as well as on the spawning flats in the creeks and bays in 3-5 ft of water. Crickets, red worms, wax worms under bobbers and red worms and pinched night crawlers fish on bottom on split shot rig is the ticket for these tasty fish.

Catfish: Channel catfish are being taken on rocky banks and points as well as rocky bottom flats in the creeks and bays. These fish are being taken on night crawlers fished under bobbers and on bottom rigs. Some good numbers of these fish are being reported.

GUIDE SERVICE:

For those of you that may not be familiar with my service: I am a full time catch and release bass fishing guide. I only guide for bass. I have been guiding for bass full time on these lakes for over 20 years and bass fishing the lakes for over 30 years. I do not go out and fish panfish for 4 or 5 days and then try to guide on bass for one or two days. No one knows everything the bass are doing but one thing is for sure, if you only fish for bass day in and day out, you will have a lot better idea of what they are doing and also be familiar with all the different techniques it takes to be a successful bass angler.

Available Dates:

May: Sorry, I am booked up.
    June: 16, 26, 27, 28
    July: A number of available dates, make your reservation now to get the date(s) you want.

Of course I am taking reservations for the rest of the season also through November. Make your reservations now to get the dates you want.

Captain Dave Stewart
    270-362-9987
    Last edited by Dave Stewart; 05-18-2017 at 03:28 PM.

12. Member
    May 26, 2017

Kentucky Lake: Water Level at Kentucky Dam - 358.91 Surface Temperature - 75
    Lake Barkley: Water Level at Barkley Dam - 358.90 Surface Temperature - 75

Both lakes are at summer pool. Kentucky Dam was generating at an average rate of 64,000 cfs this morning. Barkley Dam was generating at an average rate of 49,600 cfs this morning. The latest lake levels , current flows and forecasts for all the TVA lakes can be found at http://www.tva.com/river/lakeinfo/index.htm.

Current Conditions: We still have some bass in the shallow in the spawning areas but most of these fish are buck bass guarding nests but there are a few late spawners there also. Some bass are also being taken in the creeks and bays on post spawn creek channel banks and points too. The ledges are loading up more and more each day now so we are focusing most of our fishing on the ledges both around the mouths of the creeks and bays and on the main lake. We have not seen any large schools of bass on the ledges but we have seen a number of smaller schools of 7-10 fish. A few fish are being taken on reaction baits, most of the fish are being taken on slower techniques right now. Most of our ledge fish were taken around the bottoms of the ledges this week.

The forecast for the holiday weekend is not the greatest but even so expect a lot of boat traffic on the lakes this weekend. Please be courteous to your fellow boaters and anglers and keep an eye on the sky for approaching storms. Some of these storms may be severe so don't take chances. If you see an approaching storm, find a safe port before it is too late to do so.

The forecast for Saturday is for a high of 85/ night time low of 70 with a 50% chance of thunderstorms with wind SW at 9. Sunday is showing a high of 83/night time low of 62 with a 60% chance of evening thunderstorms with wind WSW at 17. Monday's forecast is showing a high of 82/night time low of 61 with wind WNW at 8.

Largemouth Bass: Largemouth are being taken in the shallows around brush as they are guarding nests with topwater lures, Texas rigged creature baits, tube jigs and jigs. Largemouth are being taken on channel banks and secondary points just outside the spawning areas on crank baits, spinner baits, chatter baits, Carolina and Texas rigged creature baits, jigs and shaky heads. Largemouth are being taken on primary points on the main lake as well as on ledges on the main lake and in the mouths of creeks and bays. These fish are being taken on deep diving crank baits, swim baits, spoons, Texas rigged large worms, Carolina rigged creature baits and jigs.

Productive Lures: Some of the productive lures reported this week are Lucky Craft Sammy in ghost pearl lemon, Strike King spash baits in white, Bandit crank baits in rootbeer/chartruese, Rapala DT 6 and DT 10 in bluegill and sexy shad, Strike King XD 6 in Tennessee shad, sexy shad and chartruese sexy shad, Rapala DT 16 in parrot, Big Hammer swim baits in sexy smelt and bay smelt, Kitech swim baits in pro blue, D&L jigs in "oops" and cumberland craw, Slong's jigs in cumberland craw, Last Cast jigs in green pumpkin, Slong's spinner baits in white/chartruese, Chatter baits in white/chartruese, Charmer and Zoom large worms in plum on Texas rigs, Charmer lizards and timber pups on Texas rigs and Carolina rigs in green pumpkin and green pumpkin/blue and watermelon/purple.

Bluegill/Red Ear: Bluegills and Red Ears are being taken around brush shallow as well as on the spawning flats in the creeks and bays in 3-5 ft of water. Crickets, red worms, wax worms under bobbers and red worms and pinched night crawlers fish on bottom on split shot rig is the ticket for these tasty fish. Good numbers of fish are being reported.

GUIDE SERVICE:

Available Dates:

May: Sorry, I am booked up.
    June: Sorry, I am booked up.
    July: A number of available dates, make your reservation now to get the date(s) you want.

Captain Dave Stewart
    270-362-9987
    Last edited by Dave Stewart; 05-26-2017 at 05:15 AM.

13. Member
    June 1, 2017

Kentucky Lake: Water Level at Kentucky Dam - 359.28 Surface Temperature - 76
    Lake Barkley: Water Level at Barkley Dam - 359.30 Surface Temperature - 76

Both lakes are at summer pool. Kentucky Dam was generating at an average rate of 63,500 cfs this afternoon. Barkley Dam was generating at an average rate of 34,500 cfs this afternoon. The latest lake levels , current flows and forecasts for all the TVA lakes can be found at http://www.tva.com/river/lakeinfo/index.htm.

Current Conditions: The past few days we have had flat water and the forecast for the weekend indicates this will continue with light winds. We have had some good days this week on the ledges with only one day that I would classify as a slow bite but some fish can still be taken even on a slow bite day. There are still post spawn fish coming out in the creeks and bays. We had two mornings this week with multiple limits on post spawn creek channel points before going to the ledges later in the morning. There are also some bass still being taken shallow in the creeks and bays where males are guarding nests. We are still seeing a number of smaller schools of bass on the ledges holding around the bottoms of the ledges so make sure you are covering all depths on the ledges. Our best bite on the ledges this week was on Carolina rigged creature baits, Texas rigged large worms and dragging football head jigs.

The forecast for tomorrow is for a high of 86/night time low of 64 with a 20% chance of showers and scattered thunderstorms with wind E at 5. Saturday's forecast is calling for a high of 87/night time low of 67 with wind ESE at 7. Sunday's forecast shows a high of 87/night time low of 67 with a 50% chance of thunderstorms with wind WSW at 7. The extended forecast into next mid week is calling for daytime high's in the 80's, night time low's in the 60's with north quadrant winds.

Largemouth Bass: Largemouth are being taken in the shallows around brush as they are guarding nests with topwater lures, Texas rigged creature baits, tube jigs and jigs. Largemouth are being taken on channel banks and secondary points just outside the spawning areas on crank baits, chatter baits, Carolina and Texas rigged creature baits, jigs and shaky heads. Largemouth are being taken on primary points on the main lake as well as on ledges on the main lake and in the mouths of creeks and bays. These fish are being taken on deep diving crank baits, swim baits, spoons, Texas rigged large worms, Carolina rigged creature baits and jigs.

Productive Lures: Some of the productive lures reported this week are Lucky Craft Sammy in ghost pearl lemon, Strike King spash baits in white, Bandit crank baits in rootbeer/chartruese, Rapala DT 6 and DT 10 in bluegill and sexy shad, Strike King XD 6 and XD 10 in Tennessee shad, sexy shad and chartruese sexy shad, Rapala DT 16 in parrot, Big Hammer swim baits in sexy smelt and bay smelt, Kitech swim baits in pro blue, D&L jigs in "oops" and cumberland craw, Slong's jigs in cumberland craw, Slong's spinner baits in white/chartruese, Chatter baits in white/chartruese, Charmer and Zoom large worms in plum on Texas rigs, Charmer lizards and timber pups on Texas rigs and Carolina rigs in green pumpkin and green pumpkin/blue and watermelon/purple.

Bluegill/Red Ear: Bluegills and Red Ears are being taken around brush shallow as well as on the spawning flats in the creeks and bays in 2-5 ft of water. Crickets, red worms, wax worms under bobbers and red worms and pinched night crawlers fish on bottom on split shot rig is the ticket for these tasty fish. Expect the Bluegill bite to increase with a second wave with the full moon approaching late next week.

GUIDE SERVICE:

Ledge Teaching:

I am also taking bookings for my Ledge Teaching trip. The Ledge Teaching trip consists of both classroom and time on the water. This trip not only teaches you how to find the highest percentage ledges but also what you are looking for on your electronics and how to interpret what you are seeing, how to search the ledges, set up on the ledges as well as making decisions on what type lures you should be throwing depending on enviromental conditions. You do not learn how to find and fish the best ledges by simply looking at your electronics....it takes knowledge to find and fish the best ledges, the electronics are just a tool to assist you in seeing the fish afer you find them.

Available Dates:
    June: 30th

Captain Dave Stewart
    270-362-9987
    Last edited by Dave Stewart; 06-01-2017 at 05:08 PM. Reason: ND

14. Member
    June 8, 2017

Kentucky Lake: Water Level at Kentucky Dam - 360.17 Surface Temperature - 78
    Lake Barkley: Water Level at Barkley Dam - 360.25 Surface Temperature - 78

Both lakes are one foot over summer pool. Kentucky Dam was generating at an average rate of 62,000 cfs this afternoon. Barkley Dam was generating at an average rate of 40,000 cfs this afternoon. The latest lake levels , current flows and forecasts for all the TVA lakes can be found at http://www.tva.com/river/lakeinfo/index.htm.

Current Conditions: We started off the week with numerous thunderstorms and heavy rains on Monday but the post frontal weather the past few days has been nice. The rains here and up river has caused the lakes to rise to present levels. The bass fishing has been good this week on the ledges with good numbers of fish taken. We also took fish back shallow and on transition banks and points in the creeks and bays but the ledge fishing was the prime pattern for us. Slower techniques ie...Carolina rigged creature baits and worms, Texas rigged worms and dragging football head produced best for us this week in both numbers and size on both lakes. A good example of the ledge bite being on is the results of the first day of the FLW Costa Series today. There were 23 five fish limits over 20lbs weighed today. For you panfish anglers, I saw the first mayfly hatches this week on the north end of Kentucky Lake. Panfish were feeding voraciously on these hatches.

The forecast for tomorrow is for a high of 84/night time low of 60 with wind WSW at 4. Saturday's forecast is calling for a high of 87/night time low of 65 with wind S at 8. Sunday is looking good also with a high of 90/night time low of 69 with wind S at 10. The forecast through mid week is calling for high's in the low 90's, night time low's in the 70's with an increasing chance of rain and scattered thunderstorms each day.

Largemouth Bass: Largemouth are being taken on primary points on the main lake as well as on ledges on the main lake and in the mouths of creeks and bays. These fish are being taken on deep diving crank baits, swim baits, spoons, Texas rigged large worms, Carolina rigged creature baits and jigs. Largemouth are being taken in the shallows around brush as they are guarding nests with topwater lures, Texas rigged creature baits, tube jigs and jigs. Largemouth are being taken on channel banks and secondary points in the creeks and bays on crank baits, chatter baits, Carolina and Texas rigged creature baits, jigs and shaky heads.

Productive Lures: Some of the productive lures reported this week are Lucky Craft Sammy in ghost pearl lemon, Strike King spash baits in white, Bandit crank baits in rootbeer/chartruese, Rapala DT 6 and DT 10 in bluegill, Strike King XD 6 and XD 10 in Tennessee shad, sexy shad and chartruese sexy shad, Rapala DT 16 in parrot, Big Hammer swim baits in sexy smelt and bay smelt, Kitech swim baits in pro blue, D&L jigs in "oops" and cumberland craw, Slong's jigs in cumberland craw, Slong's spinner baits in white/chartruese, Chatter baits in white/chartruese, Charmer and Zoom large worms in plum and watermelon/red on Texas rigs, Charmer lizards and timber pups on Texas rigs and Carolina rigs in green pumpkin and green pumpkin/blue and watermelon/purple.

Bluegill/Red Ear: Bluegills and Red Ears are being taken around brush shallow as well as on the spawning flats in the creeks and bays in 2-5 ft of water. Crickets, red worms, wax worms under bobbers and red worms and pinched night crawlers fish on bottom on split shot rig is the ticket for these tasty fish. Bluegills are also being taken around mayfly hatches near overhanging trees early and late in the day on crickets and wax worms fished under bobbers.

GUIDE SERVICE:

Ledge Teaching:

I am also taking bookings for my Ledge Teaching trip. The Ledge Teaching trip consists of both classroom and time on the water. This trip not only teaches you how to find the highest percentage ledges but also what you are looking for on your electronics and how to interpret what you are seeing, how to search the ledges, set up on the ledges as well as making decisions on what type lures you should be throwing depending on enviromental conditions. You do not learn how to find and fish the best ledges by simply looking at your electronics....it takes knowledge to find and fish the best ledges, the electronics are just a tool to assist you in seeing the fish afer you find them.

Available Dates:

Captain Dave Stewart
    270-362-9987
    Last edited by Dave Stewart; 06-08-2017 at 06:54 PM.

15. Member
    June 15, 2017

Kentucky Lake: Water Level at Kentucky Dam - 359.09 Surface Temperature - 81
    Lake Barkley: Water Level at Barkley Dam - 359.00 Surface Temperature - 81

Both lakes are at summer pool. Kentucky Dam was generating at an average rate of 41,000 cfs this afternoon. Barkley Dam was generating at an average rate of 36,800 cfs this afternoon. The latest lake levels , current flows and forecasts for all the TVA lakes can be found at http://www.tva.com/river/lakeinfo/index.htm.

Current Conditions: The heat of summer certainly showed itself this week with high's in the mid 90's and heat indexes around 100 each day. These high temperatures shot the lake temperatures up to present levels. With the lakes back down to summer pool now, the TVA is only generating enough water to produce some current during the afternoons and early evenings when everyone's air conditioners are cranking up. My observations this week has been a somewhat slower ledge bite early in the day than we had with the steady current around the clock the past few weeks, with the bite increasing in the afternoon's and evening when there is current being generated. This does not mean you cannot catch bass on the ledges during the morning hours, we certainly have, but the reports I am getting is indicating a better bite late in the day right now. I have seen this cycle many times during my years here and sometimes lasts for a week or two when we have heat waves during the summer months. If you check the TVA website using the link I provided above, you can get a past 48 hour history of the hourly generation at the dams and you will see what I mean.

It looks like we will get a couple of days relief from this hot and humid weather early next week after this next front passes through the lakes area. The forecast for tomorrow (Friday) is for a high of 93/night time low of 70 with wind S at 5. Saturday's forecast is showing a high of 94/night time low of 75 with a 30% chance of isolated thunderstorms with wind SSW at 10-15. Sunday's forecast is showing frontal passage with a high of 87/night time low of 67 with a 100% chance of thunderstorms and wind WSW at 10-15. Keep an eye on the sky for approaching storms. These storms that develop in the afternoons this time of year move fast and generate a lot of lightning and localized high winds. Don't wait too late to find a safe port with approaching storms.

The lakes are getting a very crowded over the past couple weeks and it is time to remind everyone to use some common sense and courtesy when on the water in regards to your fellow anglers and boaters. Be aware of other boats that are stationary either fishing or swimming, there is no reason to run close by them when in most cases you can manuever your boat to pass well away from these folks. If you park your boat in a narrow navigation lane, you can expect to be washed by other boats transitioning the navigation lane, it is not smart to park your boat in a navigation lane. If someone is fishing a ledge spot you wanted to fish when you get there, find another ledge, do not pull up beside another boat and start fishing just because you wanted to fish there. If you don't know any other places to fish other than that spot, come see me and I will teach you how to find other good spots. The lake is 184 miles long and 2 miles wide...there is no excuse for showing disrespect for your fellow boaters and anglers.

Largemouth Bass: Largemouth are being taken on primary points on the main lake as well as on ledges on the main lake and in the mouths of creeks and bays. These fish are being taken on deep diving crank baits, swim baits, spoons, Texas rigged large worms, drop shot rigs, shaky heads, Carolina rigged creature baits and jigs. Largemouth are being taken in the backs of the creeks and bays early and late in the day on topwater lures as they are feeding on schools of fry. Some Largemouth are also being taken near wood cover during the day in the shallow water on spinner baits, texas rigged creature baits and Senko type baits.

Smallmouth Bass: Smallmouth are being taken on main lake points and on ledges during the day on jigs and Carolina rigged creature baits. Smallmouth are being taken at night on rocky main lake points and rocky points inside the mouths of creeks and bays on dark skirted spinner baits, jigs and tube jigs.

Productive Lures: Some of the productive lures reported this week are Lucky Craft Sammy in ghost pearl lemon, Strike King spash baits in white, Rapala, Strike King XD 6 and XD 10 in Tennessee shad, sexy shad and chartruese sexy shad, Rapala DT16 in parrot, Big Hammer swim baits in sexy smelt and bay smelt, Kitech swim baits in pro blue, D&L jigs in "oops" and cumberland craw, Slong's jigs in cumberland craw, Slong's spinner baits in blue glimmer, Charmer and Zoom large worms in plum, red bug and watermelon/red on Texas rigs, Charmer lizards and timber pups on Texas rigs and Carolina rigs in green pumpkin and green pumpkin/blue and watermelon/purple.

Bluegill: Bluegills are being taken around brush shallow as well as on the spawning flats in the creeks and bays in 2-5 ft of water. Crickets, red worms, wax worms under bobbers and red worms and pinched night crawlers fish on bottom on split shot rig is the ticket for these tasty fish. Bluegills are also being taken around mayfly hatches near overhanging trees and docks early and late in the day on crickets and wax worms fished under bobbers.

White Bass: White Bass are being taken along main lake ledges and the ledges around the mouths of the creeks and bays with in line spinners and blade baits fished vertically.

IF YOU ARE PLANNING ON VISITING OUR LAKES I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE FOLLOWING BUSINESSES FOR ALL YOUR FISHING AND BOATING NEEDS.

GUIDE SERVICE:

Ledge Teaching:

Available Dates:

Captain Dave Stewart
    270-362-9987
    Last edited by Dave Stewart; 06-15-2017 at 04:34 PM.

16. Member
    June 23, 2017

Kentucky Lake: Water Level at Kentucky Dam - 358.88 Surface Temperature - 81
    Lake Barkley: Water Level at Barkley Dam - 358.75 Surface Temperature - 81

Both lakes are a few inches below summer pool on a draw down. Kentucky Dam was generating at an average rate of 61,000 cfs this morning. Barkley Dam was generating at an average rate of 40,400 cfs this morning. The latest lake levels , current flows and forecasts for all the TVA lakes can be found at http://www.tva.com/river/lakeinfo/index.htm.

Current Conditions: The remnants of tropical storm Cindy are passing through the lakes area today. At same time a cold front will be moving through the area from the northwest. I waited until this morning to write this report to give you the latest information as forecasts have been changing hourly for the past couple of days as to how much rain we would have here as well as the surrounding region. As of this report, it appears we will get a few inches here in the lakes area today but areas to the northwest in southern Illinois and southeast Missouri will be getting more of this rain as well as areas south of us in Tenneesee and Alabama. The TVA in preparation for this influx of water in the area here and up river (south of us) has been pulling the lakes here and south of us down for the past 2 days in the event they may have to hold back the water in the near future because of possible flooding down stream. Right now the TVA is forecasting the lakes to only be below summer pool about 6 inches by Sunday but all of this could change as the situation developes. You can monitor the lake levels and projections for the lakes here and those up stream from us by using the link provided in the paragraph above.

At the beginning of this week we had flat water, no current and blue skies during the mornings and the ledge bite was slow but increased in the late afternoon and early evening as the water flows increased. The ledge bite was better the past couple of days though out the day with the constant current in the draw down coupled with some wind and clouds. The forecast for the weekend is calling for post frontal conditions with a high Saturday of 81/night time low if 57 with wind NNW at 8. Sunday's forecast is showing a high of 82/night time low of 60 with wind W at 10. Monday is showing a high of 77/night time low of 58 with wind NNW at 7. The extended forecast is showing a return to the 80's with night time low's in the 60's and winds from the south quadrant by Wednesday.

Largemouth Bass: Largemouth are being taken on primary points on the main lake as well as on ledges on the main lake and in the mouths of creeks and bays. These fish are being taken on deep diving crank baits, swim baits, spoons, Texas rigged large worms, drop shot rigs, shaky heads, Carolina rigged creature baits and jigs. Largemouth are being taken in the backs of the creeks and bays early and late in the day on topwater lures as they are feeding on schools of fry. Some Largemouth are also being taken near wood cover during the day in the shallow water on spinner baits, texas rigged creature baits and Senko type baits.

Smallmouth Bass: Smallmouth are being taken on main lake points and on ledges during the day on jigs and Carolina rigged creature baits. Smallmouth and Largemouth are being taken at night on rocky main lake points and rocky points inside the mouths of creeks and bays on dark skirted spinner baits, jigs and tube jigs.

Productive Lures: Some of the productive lures reported this week are Lucky Craft Sammy in ghost pearl lemon, Strike King spash baits in white, Rapala, Strike King XD 6 and XD 10 in Tennessee shad, sexy shad and chartruese sexy shad, Rapala DT16 in parrot, Big Hammer swim baits in sexy smelt and bay smelt, Kitech swim baits in pro blue, D&L jigs in "oops" and cumberland craw, Slong's jigs in cumberland craw, Slong's spinner baits in blue glimmer, Charmer and Zoom large worms in plum, red bug and watermelon/red on Texas rigs and Carolina rigs, Charmer lizards and timber pups on Texas rigs and Carolina rigs in green pumpkin and green pumpkin/blue and watermelon/purple.

Bluegill: Bluegills are being taken around mayfly hatches near overhanging trees and docks early and late in the day on crickets and wax worms fished under bobbers.

White Bass: White Bass are being taken along main lake ledges and the ledges around the mouths of the creeks and bays with in line spinners and blade baits fished vertically as well as around mayfly hatches near overhanging trees early and late in the day.

IF YOU ARE PLANNING ON VISITING OUR LAKES I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE FOLLOWING BUSINESSES FOR ALL YOUR FISHING AND BOATING NEEDS.

GUIDE SERVICE:

Ledge Teaching:

Available Dates:

June: 27th...open due to a late cancellation
    July: 13, 18, 24, 25, 26, 31

Captain Dave Stewart
    270-362-9987

Last edited by Dave Stewart; 06-23-2017 at 01:59 PM.

17. Member
    June 29, 2017

Kentucky Lake: Water Level at Kentucky Dam - 359.09 Surface Temperature - 82
    Lake Barkley: Water Level at Barkley Dam - 359.15 Surface Temperature - 82

Both lakes are at summer pool. Kentucky Dam was generating at an average rate of 38,700 cfs this afternoon. Barkley Dam was generating at an average rate of 20,400 cfs this afternoon. The latest lake levels , current flows and forecasts for all the TVA lakes can be found at http://www.tva.com/river/lakeinfo/index.htm.

Current Conditions: We had some good days on the ledges earlier this week as the TVA was pulling water around the clock. The past couple of days the it was tough to fish the ledges on the main lake on Kentucky as the wind was coming up from the south to the point we had waves coming over the front of my 22ft Ranger. When it is like that, it really is not any fun so my clients and I came in early once the wind got up. I have not stayed in business for 22 years by treating my clients to rough water in order to make a dollar. With the lakes having leveled off from a draw down back to summer pool at midweek, they are now back in the pattern of shutting down the flow at night and during the morning hours and then increasing the flow around mid day and through the heat of the afternoon and early evening. Our best bite this week was on slow moving techniques ie...Carolina rigged creature baits, Texas rigged large worms and dragging football head jigs. Most of our fish over the past week are coming from the bottoms of the ledges in 20-25 ft of water although now and then we are getting an actively feeding fish off the tops of the ledges in 10-15 ft of water.

Expect a lot of boat traffic this weekend with the holiday. Please be courteous to your fellow boaters and most of all be safe and drive your boat defensively. Please also take some time to reflect on why we celebrate our independence and freedoms and remember those that have sacrificed and are sacrificing so that we can remain a free country.

The forecast for Friday is for a high of 86/night time low of 70 with a 50% chance of afternoon thunderstorms and wind SSW at 12. Saturday's forecast is calling for a high of 86/ night time low of 67 with a 40% chance of thunderstorms in the evening with wind W at 11. Sunday is showing post frontal conditions with a high of 90/night time low of 69 with wind N at 4. The extended forecast into mid next week is calling for daytime high's in the 90's, night time low's in the 70's with a 60% chance of thunderstorms each day.

Smallmouth Bass: Smallmouth are being taken on main lake points and on ledges during the day on jigs and Carolina rigged creature baits. Smallmouth and Largemouth are being taken at night on rocky main lake points and rocky points inside the mouths of creeks and bays on dark skirted spinner baits, jigs and tube jigs.

Productive Lures: Some of the productive lures reported this week are Lucky Craft Sammy in ghost pearl lemon, Strike King spash baits in white, Rapala, Strike King XD 6 and XD 10 in Tennessee shad, sexy shad and chartruese sexy shad, Rapala DT16 in parrot, Big Hammer swim baits in sexy smelt and bay smelt, Kitech swim baits in pro blue, D&L jigs in "oops" and cumberland craw, Slong's jigs in cumberland craw, Slong's spinner baits in blue glimmer, Charmer and Zoom large worms in plum, red bug and watermelon/red on Texas rigs and Carolina rigs, Charmer lizards and timber pups on Texas rigs and Carolina rigs in green pumpkin and green pumpkin/blue and watermelon/purple.

Bluegill: Bluegills are being taken around mayfly hatches near overhanging trees and docks early and late in the day on crickets and wax worms fished under bobbers.

White Bass: White Bass are being taken along main lake ledges and the ledges around the mouths of the creeks and bays with in line spinners and blade baits fished vertically as well as around mayfly hatches near overhanging trees early and late in the day.

GUIDE SERVICE:

Ledge Teaching:

Available Dates:

July: Sorry, I am booked up.
    August: A number of dates available, make your reservations now to get the date(s) you want.

Captain Dave Stewart
    270-362-9987
    Last edited by Dave Stewart; 06-29-2017 at 04:19 PM.

18. Member
    July 13, 2017

Kentucky Lake: Water Level at Kentucky Dam - 358.53 Surface Temperature - 86
    Lake Barkley: Water Level at Barkley Dam - 358.55 Surface Temperature - 86

Kentucky Dam was generating at an average rate of 59,000 cfs this afternoon. Barkley Dam was generating at an average rate of 36,000 cfs this afternoon. The latest lake levels , current flows and forecasts for all the TVA lakes can be found at http://www.tva.com/river/lakeinfo/index.htm.

Current Conditions: The operative words for this week have been "hot and humid" We have had day time highs in the 90's all week and heat indexes eclipsing the 100 degree mark every day. Water temperatures as you can see are above normal for this time in July and thus the oxygen levels are low. The ledge bite for the bass has been slow and scattered all week during the day.

Slow techniques and finesse baits have been putting a few fish in the boat. Reports I have received this week indicate the better bite is late in the evening and at night. The early morning top water bite in the shallows is still there but scattered and not as good as it was a week ago. I know this is not what a lot of you anglers want to hear, but it is what it is and I have never failed to report a tough bite if that is what it is.

The weather forecast for tomorrow is showing a high of 89/ night time low of 69 with a frontal passage. A 60% chanced of thunderstorms is in the forecast with winds light and variable. Saturday's forecast is calling for a high of 87/low of 64 with a 30% chance of morning showers with wind N at 5. Sunday's forecast is showing a high of 89/low of 69 with wind light and variable. The extended forecast into mid next week is showing a return to day time high's in the 90's/ night time low's in the 70's with wind light and variable. Expect humid conditions next week similiar to what we have had this week.

Largemouth Bass: Largemouth are being taken on primary points on the main lake as well as on ledges on the main lake and in the mouths of creeks and bays. These fish are being taken on swim baits, spoons, Texas rigged large worms, drop shot rigs, shaky heads, Carolina rigged creature baits and jigs. Largemouth are being taken in the backs of the creeks and bays early and late in the day on topwater lures as they are feeding on schools of fry. Some Largemouth are also being taken near wood cover during the day in the shallow water on spinner baits, texas rigged creature baits and Senko type baits.

Productive Lures: Some of the productive lures reported this week are Lucky Craft Sammy in ghost pearl lemon, Strike King spash baits in white, Big Hammer swim baits in sexy smelt and bay smelt, Kitech swim baits in pro blue, D&L jigs in "oops" and cumberland craw, Slong's jigs in cumberland craw, Charmer and Zoom large worms in plum, red bug and green pumpkin on Texas rigs and Carolina rigs, Charmer lizards and timber pups on Texas rigs and Carolina rigs in green pumpkin and green pumpkin/blue and watermelon/purple, Charmer shaky head worms and zoom trick worms on shaky head jigs in green pumpkin and watermelon/purple.

White Bass: White Bass are being taken along main lake ledges and the ledges around the mouths of the creeks and bays with in line spinners and blade baits fished vertically as well as around mayfly hatches near overhanging trees early and late in the day. There has been some early morning jumps around the mouths of the creeks and bays but they are not lasting very long but some fish can be taken in these jumps with inline spinners and small spoons cast into the surface feeding fish.

GUIDE SERVICE:

Ledge Teaching:

I am also taking bookings for my Ledge Teaching trip. The Ledge Teaching trip consists of both classroom and time on the water. This trip not only teaches you how to find the highest percentage ledges but also what you are looking for on your electronics and how to interpret what you are seeing, how to search the ledges, set up on the ledges as well as making decisions on what type lures you should be throwing depending on enviromental conditions. You do not learn how to find and fish the best ledges by simply looking at your electronics....it takes knowledge to find and fish the best ledges, the electronics are just a tool to assist you in seeing the fish after you find them.

Available Dates:

August: A number of dates available, make your reservations now to get the date(s) you want.

Captain Dave Stewart
    270-362-9987
    Last edited by Dave Stewart; 07-13-2017 at 05:05 PM.

19. Member
    July 21, 2017

Kentucky Lake: Water Level at Kentucky Dam - 358.46 Surface Temperature - 89

Lake Barkley: Water Level at Barkley Dam - 358.45 Surface Temperature - 89

Both lakes are one half foot below summer pool. Kentucky Dam was generating at an average rate of 28,500 cfs this morning. Barkley Dam was generating at an average rate of 8,900 cfs this morning. The latest lake levels , current flows and forecasts for all the TVA lakes can be found at http://www.tva.com/river/lakeinfo/index.htm.

Current Conditions: As I mentioned in last week's report, "hot and humid" are the operative words for the weather here at the lakes. We have had heat indexes over 100 degrees every day this week. The ledge bite for the bass continues to be slow and scattered with little wind and low oxygen levels. We are still taking fish early in the day in the backs of creeks and bays on top water lures as there are bass feeding on schools of fry. Largemouth are also being taken during the day in the creeks and bays near wood cover where some fish are feeding on the schools of fry as well as around docks in the creeks and bays and on the main lake. These fish are being taken on spinner baits, jigs, shaky heads and senko type baits.

The forecast for today and the weekend is for more hot and humid conditions. Today's forecast is calling for a high of 98/ night time low of 77 with wind SW at 6. Saturday's forecast is showing a high of 96/ night time low of 78 with a 20% chance of scattered thunderstorms and wind SW at 10. Sunday's forecast is calling for a high of 93/ night time low of 74 with a 50% chance of scattered thunderstorms and wind WSW at 10. The extended forecast through next mid week is showing daytime high's in the upper 80's/ low's in the low 70's with chances of thunderstorms each day and light and variable winds.

Largemouth Bass: Largemouth are being taken on primary points on the main lake as well as on ledges on the main lake and in the mouths of creeks and bays. These fish are being taken on swim baits, spoons, Texas rigged large worms, drop shot rigs, shaky heads, Carolina rigged creature baits and jigs. Largemouth are being taken in the backs of the creeks and bays early and late in the day on topwater lures as they are feeding on schools of fry. Some Largemouth are also being taken near wood cover and around docks during the day on spinner baits, texas rigged creature baits, jigs and Senko type baits.

Productive Lures: Some of the productive lures reported this week are Lucky Craft Sammy in ghost pearl lemon, Strike King spash baits in white, Big Hammer swim baits in sexy smelt and bay smelt, Kitech swim baits in pro blue, D&L jigs in "oops" and cumberland craw, Slong's jigs in cumberland craw, Charmer and Zoom large worms in plum, red bug and green pumpkin on Texas rigs and Carolina rigs, Charmer lizards and timber pups on Texas rigs and Carolina rigs in green pumpkin and green pumpkin/blue and watermelon/purple, Charmer shaky head worms and zoom trick worms on shaky head jigs in green pumpkin and watermelon/purple.

White Bass: White Bass are being taken along main lake ledges and the ledges around the mouths of the creeks and bays with in line spinners and blade baits fished vertically as well as around mayfly hatches near overhanging trees early and late in the day. There has been some early morning jumps around the mouths of the creeks and bays but they are not lasting very long but some fish can be taken in these jumps with inline spinners and small spoons cast into the surface feeding fish.

GUIDE SERVICE:

Ledge Teaching:

Available Dates:

August: I still have some dates available, make your reservations now to get the date(s) you want.

Captain Dave Stewart
    270-362-9987
    Last edited by Dave Stewart; 07-21-2017 at 03:20 AM.

20. Member
    July 28, 2017

Kentucky Lake: Water level at Kentucky Dam - 358.00 Surface Temperature - 89
    Lake Barkley: Water level at Barkley Dam - 357.95 Surface Temperature - 89

Both lakes are one foot below summer pool. Kentucky Dam was generating at an average rate of 21,700 cfs this morning. Barkley Dam was generating at an average of 9,000 cfs this morning. The latest lake levels , current flows and forecasts for all the TVA lakes can be found at http://www.tva.com/river/lakeinfo/index.htm.

Current Conditions: We experienced a continuation of the heat wave we have been experiencing over the past couple of weeks again this week with heat indexes over 100 degrees every day. The lack of current on the lakes also continued this past week and is forecasted to continue for the near future. The ledge bite for the bass continues to be slow during the day as it has been for past three weeks. We are catching some fish on the ledges during the day but the numbers are few and you have to work for them.

Our most productive ledge techniques this week were Carolina rigging small creature baits and drop shot rigs. The better bite for us this week was shallow in the backs of the creeks and with top water lures early and then tube jigs and finesse jigs around shallow isolated wood cover after the sun came up. Our best morning on this pattern yeilded over 3 limits and our worst morning only a few short fish. The reports I am getting still indicate a better late evening and night bite on the ledges and also on main lake points and secondary points in the creeks and bays. Dark skirted spinner baits, jigs, Texas rigged worms and tube jigs are being reported as productive at night.

The better news is that we had a cold front move through the area early this morning and the forecast is looking good for breaking this heat wave and having some cooler days and less humidity for the immediate future. The forecast for Saturday is for a high of 84/night time low of 60 with wind NE at 11. Sunday's forecast is calling for a high of 84/night time low of 61 with wind N at 8. The extended forecast is calling for more post frontal conditions through Tuesday with high's in the 80's/low's in the 60's with light and variable winds. The next front is currently forecasted to arrive sometime late Wednesday.

Largemouth Bass: Largemouth are being taken on primary points on the main lake as well as on ledges on the main lake and in the mouths of creeks and bays. These fish are being taken on swim baits, spoons, Texas rigged large worms, drop shot rigs, shaky heads, Carolina rigged creature baits and jigs. Largemouth are being taken in the backs of the creeks and bays early and late in the day on topwater lures as they are feeding on schools of fry. Some Largemouth are also being taken shallow near isolated wood cover and around docks with cover during the day on spinner baits, texas rigged creature baits, jigs, tube jigs and Senko type baits.

Productive Lures: Some of the productive lures reported this week are Lucky Craft Sammy in ghost pearl lemon, Strike King spash baits in white, Big Hammer swim baits in sexy smelt and bay smelt, D&L jigs in "oops" and cumberland craw, Slong's jigs in cumberland craw, Charmer and Zoom large worms in plum and green pumpkin on Texas rigs and Carolina rigs, Charmer lizards and timber pups on Texas rigs and Carolina rigs in green pumpkin, green pumpkin/blue and watermelon/purple, Charmer shaky head worms and zoom trick worms on shaky head jigs in green pumpkin and watermelon/purple and Charmer tubes in smoke purple on tube jig heads rigged stupid style.

White Bass: White Bass are being taken along main lake ledges and the ledges around the mouths of the creeks and bays with in line spinners and blade baits fished vertically as well as around mayfly hatches near overhanging trees early and late in the day. The mayfly hatches are not large but some smaller hatches are still occuring on some nights. There has been some early morning jumps around the mouths of the creeks and bays but they are not lasting very long but some fish can be taken in these jumps with inline spinners and small spoons cast into the surface feeding fish.

Catfish: Channels and blues are being taken along river ledges in 20-30 feet of water on cut baits on bottom rigs.

Jet-A-Marina: If you have a problem with your boat while you are visiting our great fisheries, let me recommend you have the folks in the service department at Jet-a-Marina check it out. These folks have a well known reputation for trying to keep our visitors on the water while they are here if they can possibly do so, especially you tournament anglers. Hopefully you will not need this kind of assistance but if you do, you can find Jet-a-Marina located on U.S. 62 in Calvert City, just a couple of miles north of Kentucky Dam. Jet-a-Marina also has a great showroom for all your boating accessories and check out the new Ranger bass boats too as well as bulk oil at rock bottom prices for your engine. Phone: 270-395-4030.

GUIDE SERVICE:

Ledge Teaching:

Available Dates:

July: 31 (this date just opened up yesterday due to a late cancellation....if you want it, call me now)

August: I still have some dates available, make your reservations now to get the date(s) you want.

Captain Dave Stewart
    270-362-9987

Last edited by Dave Stewart; 07-28-2017 at 09:20 AM.

Page 40 of 42 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 LastLast