Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Re: Weekly Fishing Report March 9, 2006 (Dave Stewart)

Nice report Dave and nice fish Pic Colin!!!

2. Member

Weekly Fishing Report March 23, 2006

March 23, 2006

Kentucky Lake: Water Level at Ky Dam - 355.16 Surface Temperature: 51
    Lake Barkley: Water Level at Barkley Dam - 355.35 Surface Temperature: 51

Both lakes are at one foot over winter pool. Well, I said last week that the water temperatures were going to drop a couple of degrees if the forecast we had was right. The forecast was not right...it got a lot colder than originally forecasted and it is still cold. The water temperatures have dropped like a rock...down 6 degrees since last Saturday. Obviously this is not good for early spring fishing and the fishing this week as compared to last week reflects just that. The forecast shows a slow improvement in the daytime temperatures beginning on Sunday thru the middle of next week. As the water begins to slowly warm again the fishing should improve.

Largemouth Bass: Prior to the cold snap the Largemouth were very active on crankbaits and jerkbaits on main lake points and secondary points in the bays with good bags of fish being taken. There was also some good shallow fish being taken on the flats in the bays near wood cover on warm, windy days. Since the cold snap there are still Largemouth being taken on the points but the bite has slowed considerably. What fish are being taken are primarily being taken on the points by slow worked jerk bait and Carolina rigged lizards and creature baits.

Smallmouth Bass: The Smallmouth Bass bite is still being reported as slow and scattered. Some fish are being taken on main lake pea gravel points and on secondary pea gravel points and banks in the bays on slow rolled crankbaits and slow worked suspending jerkbaits. These extreme weather patterns we have had this month seems to have taken its toll on the normally good Smallmouth bite we usually experience here in March.

Here are some of the productive lures reported this week: Smithwick Rogue in tablerock shad, Rapala Husky Jerk in black/silver, Rapala Xrap in black/silver, Bandit crankbaits in rootbeer/chartruese, Rapala Shadrap in original crawdad, Rapala DT7 (flatsided) in silver, Zoom lizard in green pumpkin and pumpkin/chartruese and Berkley Power Lizard in black/blue.

Crappie: Prior to the cold snap the Crappie fishing was reported as good. White Crappie were being taken along the creek channels in the bays over brush piles in 8-12 ft of water by vertically fishing with small jigs and minnows. Black Crappie were being taken around brush piles in 4-6 ft of water by casting curly tail jigs and fishing with minnows and jigs under bobbers. Since the cold front hit us the Crappie fishing has been reported as slow this week..with some catches of fish coming from vertically fishing with small jigs and minnows over deep brush piles along the old creek channels in the bays but the catches are not nearly as good as they were last week...again this bite should come back with the return of warmer weather patterns.

Product Report: I was asked to try out some new products over the past couple of weeks and here are the results of my field tests:

Gamma Line: This is a new copolymer line on the market. I was given some 8lb test and some 12lb test. I normally use P-line CXX for my copolymer lines. I found the Gamma to be just as strong as the P-line with the following advantages: smaller diameter and much less memory. In fact the Gamma line has no more memory in it than normal monofilament. I used the 8lb tes on my spinning reels and it worked very well...I have never been able to make 8lb P-line work satisfactory on a spinning reel. I used the 12lb line on my jerkbait rods and found it worked great...low line stretch for good hook set and very low memory. I was given this line to test at Ken's Bait Shop in Lake City...he has plenty in stock and I would highly recommend you give it a try.

Rapala DT7 (flatsided): This new crankbait by Rapala has a squared off bill thus giving it a good vibration when retrieved. I was given the natural shad pattern (named "silver") by The Cabin Bait and Tackle on U.S. 62 just west of Kuttawa. It did not take long to sell me on this lure because the first point I threw it on I had two 4lb Largemouth in two casts and followed those up with a short fish. I caught quite a few nice fish on this lure before the cold snap hit....you gotta get some of these lures before the Largemouth go on the prespawn feed again...and they should be great lures for the fall schooling fish.

Dave Stewart
    Bass Buster Guide Service
    270-354-5039
    dave@kentuckylakeguide.com
    http://www.kentuckylakeguide.com
    "Fish with a Professional"

3. Member

Re: Weekly Fishing Report March 23, 2006 (Dave Stewart)

Dave:

quality information as always - can't wait to see ya in early april.

Jack
    Jack

2005 Ranger 520 DX
    2005 Mercury 225 Optimax Pro XS
    Mercury Trophy 24
    Mk Ultrex 110 Ipilot link
    Powerpole 8'
    Hb helix 9 di S/N
    Hb helix 10 si. S/N
    Garmin 10 UHD W/ Panoptix

4. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar

Re: Weekly Fishing Report March 23, 2006 (yukonjack2)

The crappie are bitting! Fish shallow, even if your over deep water. I caught my fish 3-4 ft deep in 10 foot of water this afternoon. They've been that way in Blood River all spring.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

5. Member

Weekly Fishing Report March 30, 2006

March 30, 2006

Kentucky Lake: Water level at Ky Dam - 355.38 Surface temperature - 54
    Lake Barkley: Water level at Barkley Dam - 355.30 Surface temperature - 54

Both lakes are one foot over winter pool. Both lakes are on a slow rise to summer pool. This slow rise normally continues about a foot a week until the lake nears summer pool levels at the end of April barring a large influx of water from spring rain runoffs. The weather finally started warming up earlier this week and the water temperatures are once again on the rise. As predicted in last week's report this expected rise in water temperatures has gotten the fish more active and the bite over the past couple of days is a definite improvement over the bite last week during the cold weather spell we had.

Largemouth Bass: The Largemouth Bass are being taken on primary points on the main lakes and also on secondary points and creek channel banks in the bays. Good numbers of fish are staging on the secondary points in some of the bays and creeks. These fish are being taken on suspending jerkbaits, crankbaits and Carolina rigged soft plastics. There is also a good shallow water bite on the flats in some of the creeks and bays near wood cover. These fish are readily taking lipless crankbaits and some big fish are being taken on this pattern as well as a good number of buck bass.

Smallmouth Bass: The Smallmouth Bass reports still indicate a scattered bite on primary and secondary points on the east side of Kentucky Lake and the secondary points in the front parts of the bays. It appears the weird weather patterns this year may have hurt the normally excellent bite we would be getting on these great fighters this time of year. I expect the Smallmouth will move to spawning banks in the bays and on the main lake within the next couple of weeks.

Some of the productive lures reported this week are: Rapals X Rap in clown and black/silver, Rapala Husky Jerk in black/silver, Bandit crankbaits in rootbeer/chartruese, Rapala Shadraps in crawdad and black/silver, Lewis Rattletraps in blue/chrome, Hook Some Bass tubes in chameleon craw, Zoom u-tail worms in red shad and Zoom lizards in green pumpkin.

Crappie: The Crappie bite has been reported as good the past couple of days with the warming water. Some good catches are coming from brush piles in 10-12 ft of water in the bays using small jigs fished vertically and by casting and retrieving them on light lines. I have talked to a few folks casting the banks and they are getting a few fish but not as good as it was before the cold weather hit us last week. With the warming water the Black Crappie should be moving to the banks very soon and casting the banks with small curly tail jigs and road runners should be a much better producing pattern.

I still have not received enough reports on other species to make a viable report but I expect we will soon be hearing about the bluegill and catfish within the next couple of weeks.

I have the following dates in May and June available for booking:
    May - 12, 15, 22, 23, 24, 25, and 31
    June - 4, 5, 7, 9, 10, 11, 16, 19 thru 30

If you are in need of a guide for some fun bass fishing, tournement preparation, lake familiarization or technique instruction don't hesitate to drop me an email or give me a call.

Dave Stewart
    270-354-5039

6. Member

Weekly Fishing Report April 6, 2006

April 6, 2006

Kentucky Lake: Water level at Ky Dam - 356.53 Surface Temperature - 57
    Lake Barkley: Water level at Barkley Dam - 356.75 Surface Temperature - 59

Both lakes are a 2.5 ft below summer pool and on a slow rise. Both lakes are forecasted to reach 357.0 on Saturday. It won't be long before the water is in the mustard flowers. The bass bite has been sporadic this week with cold fronts moving thru the area every 48 to 72 hours. Another cold front is forecasted to move thru the area tomorrow evening.

The Largemouth Bass are being taken both on main lake points and secondary creek channel points in the bays as well as on shallow flats in the bays. The deeper fish are being taken on suspending jerk baits, crankbaits, jignpig and Carolina rigs. The shallow fish are being taken on lipless crankbaits, especially on warm windy days. With the water rising and warm forecast for next week we should see a good improvement in the Largemouth fishing next week.

The Smallmouth Bass bite is still being reported as scattered. By this I mean that some good fish are being taken but not in big numbers. The Smallmouth are being taken on main lake points and front secondary points in the bays with suspending jerkbaits, jignpig and Carolina rigs.

Some of the productive lures reported this week are: Rapala Xraps in black/silver, Rapala suspending Husky Jerks in blue/chrome/orange and black/silver, Rapala Shadraps in crawdad and black/silver, Bandit crankbaits in rootbeer/chartruese, Lewis Rattletraps in blue/chrome and black/chrome, jigs in black/brown, Zoom lizards in green pumpkin and pumpkin/chartruese and Hook Some Bass tubes in chameleon craw and green pumpkin.

The Crappie fishing is very good with good catches of Black Crappie being reported early in the morning and late in the day by casting small roadrunners along gravel banks with wood cover. During the day these fish are being taken on deeper brush piles near these banks by casting small curly tail jigs and with minnows fished under bobbers. White Crappie are reportedly being taken over brush piles in the bays in 8-12 ft of water by vertically fishing with small jigs and minnows.

The Bluegill are being taken around deeper docks and along creek channel banks in the bays around wood cover by fishing with worms under bobbers.

If you are in need of a bass guide for some fun bass fishing, tournament preparation, lake familiarization or technique instruction don't hesitate to give me a call or drop me an email.

I have the following dates available for booking in May and June:

May: 22, 23, 24, and 31
    June: 4, 5, 7, 9, 10, 11, 19 thru 30

Dave Stewart
    270-354-5039

7. Member

Weekly Fishing Report April 13, 2006

April 13, 2006

Kentucky Lake: Water level at Ky Dam - 358.26 Surface Temperature - 63
    Lake Barkley: Water level at Barkley Dam - 358.40 Surface Temperature - 63

Both lakes are less than one foot from summer pool and on a slow rise. High air temperatures over the past few days has brought the water temps up to where they normally are this time of year. The forecast over the next few days is for above average temperatures. The Crappie and Largemouth Bass fishing is excellent. There are a lot of boats on the lakes now with the spring bite getting into full swing so please be aware of your fellow boaters, be courteous and practice defensive boat handling.

Largemouth Bass: The Largemouth Bass bite is excellent with more and more bass moving shallow now that the water is rising and the water temperatures are up. Largemouth are being taken on creek channel banks and secondary creek channel points as they are staging and moving toward the shallows on crankbaits, jignpig, Texas rigged and Carolina rigged soft plastics. A good number of Largemouth have moved to the spawning areas now and are on late prespawn patterns. These bass are being taken on lipless crankbaits, spinnerbaits, Texas and Florida rigged soft plastics, buzzbaits, floating worms, sinking worms and jignpig. These fish are being taken on the flats near the mustard flowers and buck brush.

Smallmouth Bass: The Smallmouth Bass are starting to bed now and are being taken on the main lake in the small cuts and on gravel banks in the bays on the east side of Ky Lake. These fish are taking grubs, jignpig and small jig spinners near wood fished along the bottom.

Some of the more productive lures reported this week are: Chatterbuzz buzzbaits in black and white, Bandit crankbaits in speckled back, rootbeer/chartruese, and craw/chartruese, Rapala shadraps in blue/chrome, Lewis rattletraps in blue/chrome, Hook Some Bass tubes in chameleon craw and green pumpkin, Zoom lizards in green pumpkin and pumpkin/chartruese, Hook Some Bass baby brush hounds in green pumpkin and watermelon/purple, Zoom trick worms in white, watermelon/purple and green pumpkin, Hook Some Bass spinnerbaits in white/chartruese and blue glimmer, Senkos in green pumpkin, Hook Some Bass sinking worms in green pumpkin/craw, Strike King bitsy flip jigs in green pumpkin/craw, Hook Some Bass jigs in green pumpkin and net baits baby paca craw in green pumpkin.

Crappie: The Crappie have moved to the spawning banks and big numbers of good fish are being taken early and late in the day near wood cover just off the bank in 3-5 ft of water by casting curly tail jigs, road runners and fishing with small tube jigs worked under bobbers. Minnows fished under bobbers are also working for many folks. During the heat of the day the Crappie are moving out a little deeper over brush piles in 6-10 ft of water and are being taken by casting curly tail jigs and fishing with minnows under bobbers.

Bluegill: The Bluegill are staging on the creek channel banks and secondary points near the shallows. These fish are being taken with worms fished under bobbers. Bluegill are also being taken around deeper docks with wood cover in the same method.

Catfish: I have not received any reports on the catfish yet but we are catching the occassional channel cat on the flats in the bays and creeks on bass lures...these are not numerous but some of the catfish are obviously cruising the shallows feeding on the shad that have moved into the shallow water to spawn.

If you are in need of a bass guide for some fun bass fishing, tournament preparation, lake familiarization or technique instruction don't hesitate to give me a call or drop me an email. I have the following dates available for booking in May and June:

May: 15, 22, 23, 24, and 31
    June: 4, 5, 7, 9, 10, 11, 17, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 28, 29, and 30

July and August are great times to learn how to fish the ledges offshore or the grass beds during the day or to fish for Smallmouth Bass at night. Now would be a good time to plan that trip and make your booking.

For those of you looking for Hook Some Bass lures and other custom type lures in addition to the normal off the shelf baits I have mentioned, you can find them at The Cabin Bait and Tackle Shop located on U.S. 62 just west of Kuttawa. Judy's Bait Shop on U.S. 68 just east of Draffenville also carries the Hook Some Bass lures.

For all of you tournament anglers coming in here over the next few months..and there are a lot of you...there is nothing that can ruin your trip more than having mechanical problems when you are away from home and trying to find someone to work on your equipment that you can trust. Let me recommend that anyone in this predicament take your boat to Jet-A-Marina located in Calvert City just north of Ky Dam on U.S. 62. I have been dealing with the service folks there for many years as have many of my clients and they have always given me great service and many of my clients have indicated to me that if it was not for the good folks at Jet-A-Marina they would have had to cut their trips short and gone home early. Obviously they can't fix everyone's boat on a moments notice but I know for a fact if they can at all possible keep you on the water they will go the extra mile to do so.

Dave Stewart
    270-354-5039
    dave@kentucklakeguide.com
    "Fish with a Profes

Re: Weekly Fishing Report April 13, 2006 (Dave Stewart)

April 15, 2006

Put in at the Kentucky Dam and early morning water temp was 65.

Ran through the Barkley Canal and fished a few pockets on the west side of Barkley, lost a good fish on a spinnerbait but managed a keeper about two pounds in the back of a bay in the flowers.

Ran back to KY Lake and hit small bays on the west side targeting mainly small pockets and picked up a 3 1/2 on a paca Craw, moved to the very bvack of the pocket and hooked into a pig! Would have gone better than 6 easy. Got her to the boat and she came unbuttoned.

Managed several fish in the 2 pound range and several that were barely short. The later it got the worse the bite became. Nice to see the big lakes again.

Re: Weekly Fishing Report April 13, 2006 (mikedaleo)

Sounds like a good day.

10. Member

Re: Weekly Fishing Report April 13, 2006 (mikedaleo)

I fished Barkley today, Little River area. Caught 3 over 4 on spinnerbait at edge of yellow grass. Afternoon fished very back of a bay in water less than 3 ft. Lots of yellow flowers with buck brush. The buck brush was full of bass about 14 inches. Must have caught 20 on senko and flipping a tube right in the thickest stuff. Had a large fish hit a horney toad but no hook set. It was a very fun day and fishing shallow should keep on improving if temperature remains constant and water continues to rise to summer pool level.

11. Member

Weekly Fishing Report April 20, 2006

April 20, 2006

Kentucky Lake: Water Level at Ky Dam - 358.12 Surface Temperature - 70
    Lake Barkley: Water Level at Barkley Dam - 358.25 Surface Temperature - 70

Both lakes are roughly one foot under summer pool. The water levels on both lakes have been fluctuating about 6-7 inches up and down over the past week. Combine this with 2 cold fronts, flat water and blue sky days earlier this week and you have the recipe for exactly what the fishing was like.....up and down. Today we had a low pressure center just to the southeast of us and lots of cloud cover. This favorable condition for shallow water bass brought a lot of the Largemouth shallow on a prespawn feed. Although the early spawners went on the beds last week there are still plenty of Largemouth still coming in for the spawn. We had the best day I have seen yet this spring today for prespawn feeding. We caught well over 40 fish with most of them females today and not one of the females we caught had any signs they had been fanning the nest as of yet. When the TVA finally brings the water up to summer pool there is going to be some very good shallow water late prespawn and spawn bass fishing.

Largemouth Bass: The Largemouth Bass are being taken on lead in creek channel banks and the last secondary points before the spawning flats on Carolina and Texas rigged lizards and creature baits, jignpig and crankbaits. Largemouth Bass are also being taken on the flats in front of the spawning areas on spinnerbaits and lipless crankbaits near wood cover. The best bite however is in and around the mustard flowers and buck brush on late prespawn and spawning bass. These fish are being taken on topwater lures, Texas rigged lizards and creature baits, floating worms, sinking worms and spinnerbaits.

The Smallmouth Bass are on the beds and are being taken on pea gravel banks in the bays and on the main lake using curly tail grubs and Carolina rigged tubes and creature baits. Not many people are targeting these fish so the reports are few and scattered.

Some of the productive lures reported this week are: Chatterbuzz buzzbaits in white and black, Zoom trick worms in watermelon candy, white, and green pumpkin, Zoom lizards in green pumpkin and pumpkin/chartruese, Hook Some Bass baby brush hounds in green pumpkin and watermelon/purple, Lewis Rattletraps in blue/chrome, Hook Some Bass spinnerbaits in chartruese and blue glimmer and Stike King bitsy flip jigs in green pumpkin craw with green pumpkin Paca Chunk trailer.

The Crappie spawn seems to have peaked but it is hard to tell with the water fluctuating so much lately. The numbers being reported are down but this could be a result of the fluctuating water levels as much as anything. Crappie are still being taken on shallow brush piles in 4-6 ft of water on minnows under bobbers and in 8-12 ft of water over brush piles by vertical fishing with small minnows and tube jigs. I would suspect there are still a good number of shallow Crappie to be taken on the banks if the water levels settle down soon.

Bluegills and Shellcrackers: The Bluegills and Shellcrackers are moving in to the shallows and can be found in numbers in and around the mustard flowers, especially those with associated wood cover. These fish are being taken on worms and crickets fished under bobbers and on split shot rigs fished on bottom baited with worms. Try slowly dragging the split shot rigs on bottom for best results.

Catfish: Some Channel Catfish are showing up in the bays around rocky areas and are being taken on nightcrawlers fished on bottom and under bobbers. The numbers are not big yet but it will not be long before lots and lots of these tasty fish are going to be up and feeding heavily on prespawn.

If you are in need of a bass guide for some fun bass fishing, tournament preparation, lake familiarization or technique instruction don't hesitate to give me a call or drop me an email. Now is a good time to plan for that summer trip to learn how to find and fish the ledges or to plan that night time summer Smallmouth Bass fishing trip.

May: 15, 20, 21, 22, 23, and 25

June: 4, 5, 7, 9, 10, 11, 17, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 28, 29 and 30

Dave Stewart
    270-354-5039

12. Member

Re: Weekly Fishing Report April 20, 2006 (Dave Stewart)

Had a 2 day T this past weekend. Winning weight was 29.5 lbs, they didn't give up any information I don't think. Two teams actually had over 29 lbs. We caught about 30 short fish in two days, had four keepers. The biggest two both going about 3.3lbs the other two were around 1.5. Couldn't get bit in the flowers hardly at all if we did it was small, no crankbait/rattle trap/spinnerbait bites at all. Caught most fish C-Riggin a lizard in 5-10 ft of water on secondary points next to flats or flippin small plastics up in brush in green pumpkin colors. Two biggest fish were pulled out of the brush in 2 ft of water by flukes in the afternoon. Fished mostly in Barkley, went to KY for a couple of hours without a bite.

Had a great trip though. Last week was my first time to the big lakes and I really enjoyed it. Thanks to all who helped me out.

13. Member

Weekly Fishing Report April 27, 2006

April 27, 2006

Kentucky Lake: Water Level at Ky Dam - 358.56 Surface Temperature - 69
    Lake Barkley: Water Level at Barkley Dam - 358.65

The TVA brought the lakes up to summer pool early in the week but dropped them back down about 6 inches to their present levels. Hopefully they will bring the lakes back to summer pool levels over the next day or two. The bass fishing has been up and down depending on which side of the latest cold front you are fishing on. We continue to get a cold front thru the lakes area about every 36-48 hours lately. The shallow water bass are excellent on the overcast days, especially those with rain prior to the fronts but slow on the post frontal blue sky flat water days. If you are fishing on one on the post frontal days you should back off to the lead in banks and first secondary points with jigs and C-rigs for better results.

Largemouth Bass: The Largemouth Bass are being taken in shallow water in the mustard flowers and buck brush using a myriad of techniques including: Texas rigged creature baits and tubes, jignpig, floating worms, soft jerkbaits, topwater lures and spinnerbaits. Largemouth Bass are also being taken on the lead in creek channel banks just prior to the spawning areas and also on the last secondary points prior to the spawning areas on Carolina rigged lizards and creature baits and jignpig. There are some fish locked on the beds, late prespawn fish in the flowers and brush and still some fish being taken staging on the secondary points and creek channel banks coming in. We had one day this week that we took over 40 bass with at least 30 of them over 3lbs and only two of the females showed any tail marks where they had been fanning the beds...these were prespawn fish.

Smallmouth Bass: The Smallmouth Bass are on post spawn patterns and are being taken on secondary points and ledges in the bays and on secondary points on the main lake. These fish are being taken on jignpig and Carolina rigged creature baits and tubes.

Some of the productive lures reported this week are: Chatterbuzz in white and chartruese/white, Rebel Pop R in black/chrome, Zoom Horney Toads in green pumpkin swirl and watermelon/red swirl, Zoom super flukes in white, Zoom trick worms in green pumpkin, watermelon/candy and watermelon/purple, Hook Some Bass tubes in chameleon craw and green pumpkin, Hook Some Bass spinnerbaits in blue glimmer, Lewis Rattletraps in blue/chrome and jignpig in green pumpkin/orange.

The Crappie spawn has peaked but some scattered late spawners are still being taken. These late spawners are being taken in around shallow wood cover on minnows fished under bobbers and small tubes fished under bobbers. Most of the Crappie have spawned now and are being taken over brush piles along the creek channel ledges in 8-12 ft of water by spider rigging with small minnows and small tubes.

The Bluegill and Shellcrackers are moving onto the shallow bedding areas and are being taken with worms fished under bobbers and on split shot rigs dragged along the bottom.

The Channel Catfish are moving into shallow water areas, especially those with rocky bottoms. These fish are being taken with minnows and nightcrawlers fished under bobbers. Some very good catches of quality fish are coming in daily.

If you are in need of a guide for some fun bass fishing, tournament preparation, lake familiarization or technique instruction don't hesitate to give me a call or drop me an email. Now is the time to book that trip to learn how to fish the summer ledges or to book at trip for a July or August night Smallmouth fishing trip.

May: 14, 20, 21, 22, 23, 25
    June: 4, 5, 9, 11, 13, 17, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 28, 29 and 30

Dave Stewart
    270-354-5039

14. Member

Weekly Fishing Report May 4, 2006

May 4, 2006

Kentucky Lake: Water Level at Ky Dam - 359.26 Surface Temperature - 68
    Lake Barkley: Water Level at Barkley Dam - 359.40 Surface Temperature - 68

Both lakes are a few inches above summer pool. This has been a week of heavy rains, thunderstorms and great Largemouth Bass fishing. A low pressure area has been sitting to the northwest of the lakes area all week and spawning low pressure cells which have caused the heavy rains but also the moving barometer really turned the Largemouth Bass into a feeding frenzy.

Largemouth Bass: The Largemouth Bass are being taken on post spawn, prespawn and spawning patterns so you can just about take your choice of patterns and techniques. The post spawn bass are being taken on ledges and humps in the bays as well as on secondary creek channel banks and secondary points near the spawning areas. These fish are being taken on Carolina rigs, crankbaits and jignpig. There are still a good number of prespawn bass and these fish are being taken in the flowers and forward edges of the buck brush in shallow water as well as on the last secondary creek channel points leading to the spawning grounds. The shallow fish are being taken on topwater lures, spinnerbaits, Texas rigged lizards, creature baits and tubes, floating worms and jignpig. The spawning bass are being taken in the brush by flipping jignpig, tubes and creature baits. So take your pick folks...this myriad of patterns should hold up for another week or so.

Smallmouth Bass: The Smallmouth Bass are being taken on chunk rock main lake points and banks on crankbaits, Texas rigged tubes and jignpig. The Smallmouth Bass are loving this nasty weather and the bite has been better this week from the reports I have received than it has in a month. Although big numbers of fish have not been reported, I have received reports of some nice fish being taken.

Some of the productive lures reported this week are: Chatterbuzz by various manufacturers including Hook Some Bass, Rapala DT series crankbaits in parrot and bluegill, Hook Some Bass spinnerbaits in blue glimmer and blue/chartruese, Zoom lizards in watermelon/red and green pumpkin, Sensations Sweet Beaver in watermelon/green pumpkin, Hook Some Bass baby brush hogs in green pumpkin, crawdad (new), and watermelon/red, Zoom trick worms in watermelon/purple, green pumpkin and watermelon/red, Hook Some Bass tubes in chameleon craw and Strike King bitsy flip jigs in green pumpkin and green pumpkin/craw.

The Crappie are on post spawn patterns and are being taken along the old creek channels in the bays and on the main lake over deep brush piles. These fish are being taken by spider rigging small minnows and tubes.

The Bluegill and Shellcrackers are bedding in the bays in shallow water near vegatation and also around some docks with wood cover. These fish are being taken with crickets and worms fished under bobbers and on small split shot rigs.

The Channel Catfish are shallow in the bays and on the main lake around rocky areas. Good numbers of Channel Cats are being taken right now by fishing with nightcrawlers, leeches and shrimp fished under bobbers.

If you are in need of a guide for some fun bass fishing, tournament preparation, lake familiarization or technique instruction don't hesitate to give me a call or drop me an email. Now is the time to book your trip to learn how to fish the summer time ledges. I have the following dates available for booking in May and June:

May: 14, 22, 23, and 25
    June: 4, 5, 11, 13, 17, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 28, 29, and 30

Dave Stewart
    270-354-5039

15. Member

Weekly Fishing Report May 11, 2006

May 11, 2006

Kentucky Lake: Water Level at Ky Dam - 359.04 Surface Temperature - 68
    Lake Barkley: Water Level at Barkley Dam - 358.95 Surface Temperature - 68

Both lakes are at summer pool. We have had a lot of heavy rains in the lakes area over the past few days but the lakes have actually fallen about one half foot due to water being pulled through the dams. A very slight rise in the water is currently forecasted over the next day or two by the TVA. A good late spring bite continues on Largemouth Bass, Shellcrackers, Bluegill and Channel Catfish.

Largemouth Bass: The Largemouth Bass are still being taken on a myriad of patterns in both shallow water and deep water. There are still some late prespawn bass but these fish will probably go on the beds in the next few days with the full moon this week. There are a good number of bass on the beds and post spawn bass still shallow. These shallow fish are being taken around the mustard flowers and buck brush. Most of the early spawning bass have already moved toward deeper water and are being taken on primary points, secondary creek channel points and banks as well as on humps and ledges in the mouths of the creeks and bays.
    The shallow Largemouth are being taken on topwater lures, floating worms, soft jerkbaits, Texas rigged lizards and creature baits, tube jigs, spinnerbaits and jignpig. The deeper fish are being taken on crankbaits, Texas and Carolina rigged lizards, creature baits and tubes and jignpig. Good numbers of Largemouth are being caught on both lakes.

Smallmouth Bass: The Smallmouth Bass are being taken on the main lake primary and secondary points and secondary points in the bays on crankbaits, Carolina rigged creature baits, tube jigs and jignpig. Some good size fish are being taken early and late in the day.

Some of the productive lures reported this week are: Chatterbuzz buzzbaits in white and white/chartruese, Lucky Craft popping baits in ghost lemon shad, Rapala DT series crankbaits in parrot and bluegill, Bandit crankbaits in crawfish/chartruese and rootbeer/chartruese, Zoom Trick Worms in watermelon/purple, watermelon/candy and green pumpkin, Hook Some Bass baby brush hounds in green pumpkin, watermelon/red, and chameleon craw, Hook Some Bass tubes in green pumpkin and chameleon/craw, Net Baits Baby Paca Craw in green pumpkin, Zoom lizards in watermelon/red, Hook Some Bass jigs in green pumpkin and Strike King Bitsy Flip jigs in green pumpkin/craw.

Crappie: Post spawn Crappie are being taken near the mouths of the bays on old creek channels over brush piles in 12-18 ft of water by vetically fishing with small minnows and small tube jigs.

Bluegill and Shellcrackers: Bluegill and Shellcrackers are continuing to be taken shallow in the bays by fishing with worms and crickets fished under bobbers and with worms fished on split shot rigs fished on bottom.

Catfish: Good numbers of Channel Cats are being taken around shallow rocky areas both in the bays and on the main lake. These fish are being taken on nightcrawlers, leeches and shrimp fished under bobbers.

If you are in need of a guide for some fun bass fishing, tournament preparation, lake familiarization or technique instruction don't hesitate to give me a call or drop me an email. Now is a great time to learn how to fish the ledges. I have the following dates available for booking at this time during May and June:

May: 22, 23, 25
    June: 3, 4, 11, 13, 17, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 26, 28, 29, 30

I am also taking bookings for night smallmouth fishing trips on north Ky Lake during July and August as well as daytime bookings.

Dave Stewart
    270-354-5039

16. Member

Weekly Fishing Report May 18, 2006

May 18, 2006

Kentucky Lake: Water Level at Ky Dam - 358.64 Surface Temperature - 66
    Lake Barkley: Water Level at Barkley Dam - 358.75 Surface Temperature - 67

Both lakes were pulled down slightly over the past day or two. Ky Lake is about one half foot below summer pool and Lake Barkley is about one quarter foot below summer pool. Both lakes are forecasted to rise slightly back toward summer pool over the next day or two. North winds and scattered downpours of rain have been the weather scenario this week but a warm front is supposed to move north over the weekend bringing back more seasonal temperatures. Scattered and Isolated thunderstorms are in the forecast for the next 10 days so you should keep an eye on the skies while out on the lakes for any sign of impending bad weather.

Largemouth Bass: Largemouth Bass continue to be taken on a myriad of patterns from shallow to deep. I have taken good fish both on the ledges in the bays and on the main lake this week as well as on creek channel banks and secondary points just off the spawning areas and also in and around the shallow brush and flooded over vegatation. I am still getting shallow prespawn fish with post spawn fish coming from shallow to deep. The ledge fish are taking crankbaits, Carolina rigged creature baits and jigs. The post spawn fish on the creek channel banks and secondary points are taking Carolina rigged creature baits and jigs. The shallow prespawn and post spawn fish are taking spinnerbaits, topwater lures, Texas rigged creature baits, jigs and floating worms.

The Smallmouth Bass are being taken on rocky main lake points especially early and late in the day. These fish are being taken on crankbaits, jigs and tube jigs. Although no large numbers are being reported, some good fish are being taken.

Some of the productive lures reported this week are: Chatterbuzz buzzbaits in white and white/chartruese, Rebel Pop R in black/chrome, Lucky Craft G Splash in ghost lemon shad, Zoom trick worms in watermelon/purple, Rapala DT series crankbaits in black/silver and parrot, Bandit crankbaits in rootbeer and crawfish/chartruese, watermelon/red and green pumpkin, Hook Some Bass baby brush hounds on watermelon/red and watermelon/purple, Bitsy Flip jigs in green pumpkin/craw, Hook Some Bass jigs in rootbeer and green pumpkin and Net Baits baby paca craw in summer craw, watermelon/red, and green pumpkin.

Crappie: Some Crappie are still being taken on the creek channel ledges near the mouths of the bays and on the main lake by spider rigging with small tubes and small minnows in 12-20 ft of water over brush piles.

Bluegill/Shellcrackers: The Bluegill and Shellcrackers are spawning and being taken in shallow water from 2-4 ft in cuts and on flats the creeks and bays. These fish are being taken on worms and crickets fished under bobbers and on split shot rigs on bottom with worms.

Catfish: The Channel Catfish are being taken around rocky bottom areas as they are spawning. These fish are coming in large numbers and are being taken on shrimp, leeches and nightcrawlers fished both on bottom and under bobbers. Lots of jug anglers are taking advantage of the good bite this week.

If you are in need of a guide for some fun bass fishing, tournament preparation, lake familiarization or technique instruction don't hesitate to give me a call or drop me an email. This is a great time to learn how to fish the ledges. I am taking reservations for night smallmouth fishing trips as well as my normal day trips during the months of July and August. Night fishing in July and August is a great way to beat the heat and catch smallmouth bass.

I have the following dates available in May and June:

May - 22
    June - 3, 11, 19, 20, 21, 23, 24, 26, 28, 29 and 30

Dave Stewart
    270-354-5039

17. Member

Weekly Fishing Report May 25, 2006

May 25, 2006

Kentucky Lake: Water Level at Ky Dam - 359.11 Surface Temperature - 71
    Lake Barkley: Water Level at Barkley Dam - 359.35 Surface Temperature - 71

Both lakes are at summer pool with little fluctuation. We have been having above average temperatures over the past few days and this trend is forecasted to continue through the next week. Along with the heat of course chances of thunderstorms are in the forecast every day now so keep an eye on the sky when out on the big lakes for any approaching storms. These summer like storms are almost always accompanied by some very bad cloud to ground lightning and being caught out on the open water is no place to be. With the warm weather it appears we will have some big crowds here over the holiday weekend. Some of the holiday lake goers are already here and I am sure plenty more will be here over the next day or two. With the lakes crowded everyone needs to be patient, courteous and above all practice safe defensive driving when on the water.

Largemouth Bass: Largmouth Bass are for the most part now being taken on the primary and secondary creek channel points in the bays and on the creek channel ledges both in the bays and on the main lake. Some fish are still shallow but mostly these are buck bass still guarding the nests. The post spawn fish on the secondary points and creek channel banks in the bays are taking Carolina rigged lizards and creature baits, Jigs, crankbaits and Texas rigged tubes, worms and creature baits. The shallow fish are taking spinnerbaits, topwater lures, Texas rigged creature baits and floating worms. The ledge fish are taking crankbaits, Carolina rigged creature baits, slow rolled spinnerbaits and slack lined jigs.

Smallmouth Bass: The Smallmouth Bass are being taken on main lake rocky points on crankbaits, jigs and tube jigs. Some Smallmouth are being taken on deep river channel ledges on Carolina rigged creature baits and slack lined jigs.

Some of the productive lures reported this week are: Chatterbuzz buzzbaits in white/chartruese and black, Lucky Craft G Splash in ghost lemon shad, Rapala DT series crankbaits in bluegill, parrot and black/silver, Bandit crankbaits in rootbeer, Hook Some Bass spinnerbaits in white and blue glimmer, Hook Some Bass brush hounds in watermelon/red and chameleon craw, Strike King bitsy flip jigs in green pumpkin/craw, Net Baits baby paca craw in green pumpkin, Hook Some Bass jigs in black/brown and rootbeer and Hook Some Bass tubes in chameleon craw and green pumpkin.

Bluegill/Shellcrackers: The Bluegille and Shellcrackers are bedding and are being taken in shallow water in the bays by fishing with worms and crickets under bobbers in 1-4 ft of water. Some good catches are being taken.

Catfish: The Channel Catfish are being taken in shallow water around rocky bottom areas by fishing with shrimp, leeches and nightcrawlers under bobbers.

If you are in need of a bass guide for some fun bass fishing, tournament preparation, lake familiarization or technique instruction don't hesitate to give me a call or drop me an email. Now is the time to book those trips to learn how to find and fish the ledges. This is also the time to plan and book that night fishing trip on Ky Lake for Smallmouth Bass during July and August. I have the following dates available in June and July:

June: 20, 21, 22, 28, 29
    July: 5, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 18, 19, 20, 21, 23, 24, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 31

Dave Stewart
    270-354-5039

18. Member

Weekly Fishing Report June 1, 2006

June 1, 2006

Kentucky Lake: Water Level at Ky Dam - 359.28 Surface Temperature: 76
    Lake Barkley: Water Level at Barkley Dam - 359.40 Surface Temperature: 76

Both lakes are slightly over summer pool. We have had a lot of isolated thunderstorms with locally heavy rains the past few days but this trend is forecasted to end after tomorrow giving way to sunny skies for the next week. The above average air temperatures we have had lately has really brought the water temperatures up rapidly (about 5 degrees over the past week).

Largemouth Bass: The Largemouth Bass are transitioning to their summer patterns. Largemouth are being taken on the humps and creek channel ledges in the creeks and bays as well as on the main lake. These fish are being taken on deep running crankbaits, Carolina and Texas rigged large worms and creature baits, slow rolled spinnerbaits and jigs. There are Largemouth being taken early and late in the day in shallow water near vegatation in the bays feeding on schools of fry. These fish are being taken on topwater lures, soft jerk baits and Texas rigged tubes and creature baits.

Smallmouth Bass: The Smallmouth Bass are being taken during the day on deep rocky main lake points and river channel ledges. These fish are being taken on Carolina rigged creature baits and tubes, jigs and curly tail grubs. Some reports of Smallmouth now being taken at night on spinnerbaits, jigs and tube jigs on the east side of Ky Lake.

Some of the productive lures reported this week are: Lucky Craft sammy in ghost lemon shad, Rebel Pop R in black/chrome, Rapala DT series crankbaits in bluegill, parrot and black/silver, Bandit crankbaits in rootbeer and grape, Mister Twister and Zoom monster worms in plum, Zoom monster worms and Berkley Power worms in green pumpkin and junebug, Hook Some Bass brush hounds in watermelon/red, watermelon/purple and chameleon craw, Hook Some Bass tubes in chameleon craw and green pumpkin and Booyah and Hook Some Bass jigs in green pumpkin and black/blue.

White Bass: The White Bass are being taken along deep creek channel ledges in the bays and on the river ledges on main lakes. These fish are being taken by vertical jigging spoons and inline spinners. Some fish are also being taken by trolling small spoons and spinners behind deep diving crankbaits along the ledges.

Bluegill/Redear: The Bluegill are being taken on rocky creek channel banks by fishing with worms and crickets under bobbers. Some Redear are still reportedly being taken in shallow water by fishing with worms on split shot rigs in 2-4 ft of water.

Catfish: The Channel Catfish are still being taken around shallow rocky areas by fishing with nightcrawlers under bobbers. Some of the fish have moved to the creek channels and are now being taken on bottom rigs with shrimp, nightcrawlers and leeches.

If you are in need of a bass guide for some fun bass fishing, tournament preparation, lake familiarization or technique instruction don't hesitate to give me a call or drop me an email. Now is the time to learn how to fish the ledges or book that night smallmouth fishing trip. I will be taking night smallmouth trips in July and August in addition to day trips for Largemouth.

I have the following dates available in June and July:

June: 18, 20, 21, 22, 24, 28, 29

July: 5, 7, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 18, 19, 20, 21, 23, 24, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 31

Dave Stewart
    270-354-5039

Re: Weekly Fishing Report December 9, 2005 (Dave Stewart)

I spent the day on Ky/Barkley with Dave Stewart today and all I can say is WOW! Dave picked my buddy and I up this morning at 5:30 and we headed to the lake. We put in and tried some topwater stuff early wich wasnt quite right yet. He proceeded to give me a little lesson on map reading which was INVALUABLE. I can honestly say that untill today I never knew how to correctly read a map. We proceeded to start ledge fishing and began wackin'em. Every spot dave took us to we caught fish. As a bonus they were all really good fish. Dave is an AWESOME guy who has more knowlege about Ky/Barkley than anyone I can imagine. The most valuable thing I learned from the trip was how to go about finding these fish on offshore structure and how to keep myself in the right areas. I was astonished that we caught the kind of fish we did considering it was flat calm, bluebird skies, and post frontal conditions. Dave is one HECK of a guy who REALLY, REALLY knows his stuff and I can say that I will never forget what Dave taught me today and I know it will continue to help me in my future fishing. Thanks a lot Dave, Michael and I had an AWESOME day on the water with you today and it was one of the funnest days I have ever had. I know that I will spend more days with you on the water in the future. If you get a chance this winter come on down this direction and I'll do my best to repay you on Cumberland and Dale for what you showed me there. Guys, if you wanna learn from the master, make sure to book a trip with Dave! Drew Sadler

20. Member

Weekly Fishing Report June 8, 2006

June 8, 2006

Kentucky Lake: Water Level at Ky Dam - 359.01 Surface Temperature - 78
    Lake Barkley: Water Level at Barkley Dam - 359.15 Surface Temperature - 78

Both lakes are at summer pool. We have had some nice weather this week and the forecast is for a continuation of summer like weather with daytime highs in the mid to high 80's with chances of afternoon thunderstorms over the next week. Signs of summer are all around us with the mayfly hatches having gotten started this week and the beach at Ky Dam State Park loaded with people taking in the sun and enjoying the water. The FLW Stren Series is here on Ky Lake this week and some good catches of bass are being brought in by the ledge anglers.

Largemouth Bass: The Largemouth Bass are being taken on the main lake humps and ledges as well as those in and around the mouths of the bays. These deep water fish are being taken on deep running crankbaits, Carolina rigged creature baits and large worms, Texas rigged large worms, Shakey head worms, slow rolled spinnerbaits and jigs. Some Largemouth are being taken early and late in the day in shallow water near vegatation on topwater lures as they are feeding on schools of fry. Some Largemouth are also being taken on secondary creek channel banks and secondary points on medium running crankbaits, Texas rigged tubes and jigs as they are feeding on the fry.

Smallmouth Bass: Some Smallmouth Bass are being taken on deep rocky main lake points and river channel ledges on deep diving crankbaits, Carolina rigged tubes and creature baits and curly tail grubs. The night bite on Smallmouth is getting underway with some good catches being reported using spinnerbaits, tube jigs and jigs on rocky points on the east side of Ky Lake.

Some of the more productive lures reported this week are: Lucky Craft Sammy in ghost pearl shad, Zoom horney toads in green pumpkin swirl and watermelon/red swirl, Rapala DT 16 and 14's in parrot and bluegill, Norman DD22 in parrot, Hook Some Bass brush hounds in watermelon/red and watermelon/purple, Zoom monster worms in green pumpkin, Hook Some Bass tubes in chameleon craw and green pumpkin, Net Baits Paca Craw in green pumpkin and summer craw and D&L jigs in cumberland craw.

White Bass: The White Bass are active and being taken along the river ledges by vertically fishing with small spoons and inline spinners. Some good catches are being reported.

Bluegill: The Bluegill are being taken along rocky creek channel banks and around docks fishing with crickets and minnows under bobbers. Keep an eye out for early morning and late evening mayfly hatches along the shorelines for some fast action on these fun panfish.

Catfish: The Catfish are being taken on bottom rigs along the old creek channels using shrimp, leeches and nightcrawlers. Good catches are coming in this week.

If you are in need of a guide for some fun bass fishing, tournament preparation, lake familiarization or technique instruction don't hesitate to give me a call or drop me an email. Now is the time to learn how to fish the ledges. I am taking reservations for night Smallmouth fishing on north Ky Lake during the months of July and August..this is a great way to beat the heat and enjoy an evening of fun bass fishing.

I have the following dates available for booking in June and July:

June: 22, 24, 29
    July: 5, 10, 11, 13, 14, 16, 18, 19, 20, 23, 24, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 31

Dave Stewart
    270-354-5039

Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast