Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Re: KY Lake & Barkley Reports Posted Here (Midwest Sportsman)

Sometimes the waves and the wind can run you off on that lake.

Re: KY Lake & Barkley Reports Posted Here (mikedaleo)

RangerHGM's report for 10-7 thru 10-10

Fished Barkley from Oct 7th through the 10th. Fished the LBL side from Fulton to Furnace Creek. Winds, up to 15mph from the North and Northeast made it hard to find calm water to fish. Winds finally calmed on the 10th. Didn't do much on a worm or Senko, caught a couple small ones. Best bait seemed to be crank baits and spinner bait. I switched between a chrome/black deep lip model A Bomber, chartruce/black/orange medium depth Rebel and a baby bass shallow Bagley Honey Bee. Didn't seem to matter which I used they all caught fish, but they were small, lots of 14 - 14 1/2" ers. Had 3 or 4 keepers about 16". The best bait I used was a 1/4 ounce spinner bait I had made myself with a chartruce head, dark green skirt and a black 3" Mister Twister double tail trailer. Had several bass in the 16" - 17" range and one 2-15 and one 4-15. Fished main points and secondary points with little success and caught most everything in 2 - 3 feet of water in the backs of the bays. Water temp ranged anywhere from 66.? to 68.?. Overall not a bad trip.

3. Member

Weekly Fishing Report October 13, 2005

October 13, 2005

Kentucky Lake: Water level at Ky Dam - 354.60 Surface Temperature - 71
    Lake Barkley: Water level at Barkley Dam - 354.55 Surface Temperature - 71

Both lakes are about 1/ 2 foot above winter pool. The big cold front that came through the area last Friday slowed fishing down over the weekend and the first part of the week but the cold front did manage to push the water temperatures down considerably. This cooling has started the big schools of shad moving into the bays and the forecast looks good for the water temperatures to not go up again like they did with the record heat wave we had a couple of weeks back. The bass are transitioning again now as they were before the big heat wave and if this weather trend continues we should be in a full fall pattern very soon.

The Largemouth Bass are being taken both shallow and deep as they are in transition to fall patterns. There are good fish still being taken on the humps and ledges on the main lake and near the mouths of the bays on deep running crankbaits, slow rolled spinnerbaits and Carolina rigged creature baits. More Largemouth have moved into the bays over the past few days and they are being taken on secondary creek channel banks and points on crankbaits, spinnerbaits, and topwater lures. Largemouth are also being taken on the flats near vegatation and wood cover on topwater lures (especially early and late in the day), spinnerbaits, soft jerkbaits and lipless crankbaits.

The Smallmouth Bass are being taken on main lake and creek channel ledges on spinnerbaits and carolina rigged creature baits as well as in the bays on creek channel banks on tubes and jignpig. Some Smallmouth are being taken on the flats early and late in the day on topwater lures and spinnerbaits.

Some of the productive lures reported this week are: Lucky Craft sammy in american shad, blue aurora and ghost pearl lemon, Zoom fluke in shad patterns, Bandit crankbaits in rootbeer and white, Hook Some Bass spinnerbaits in blue glimmer, Lewis rattletraps in blue/chrome and black/chartruese, and Hook Some tubes in chameleon craw.

The Crappie are actively biting and are being taken in the bays over brush piles in 12-15 ft of water by spider rigging with small minnows and minnow/jig combinations. I have seen a number of folks putting some nice keeper Crappie in the boat this week by fishing these brush piles that are located near creek channel ledges at the mouths of the bays.

The White Bass are in the bays and are being taken on the flats while they are feeding on big schools of baitfish. I have witness quite a few jumps although these are of short duration this week but these fish are very aggressive and I have been catching them on bass spinnerbaits so anyone fishing for them with small inline spinners and spoons should do very well.

The Catfish are being taken along the river channel ledges on bottom bouncing rigs baited with leeches and yellowtail.

The Bluegill are being taken around the docks and around vegatation along the banks in the bays. These fish are taking worms fished under bobbers.

I apologize for not writing a fishing report last week but I was out of town all week until this past Saturday on an annual trout fishing trip. I did not put up a report when I returned because of a lack of outside reports received and my not having been on the lakes all week.

Fall fishing is beginning to get into full swing. If you are in need of a guide for some fun bass fishing, tournament preparation, lake familiarization or technique instruction don't hesitate to give me a call or drop me an email. I have the following dates available for booking:
    Oct: 27, 28 and 30
    Nov: I have plenty of openings in November including during the first week of November. November is normally some of the best fall fishing for bass so if you are planning on a fall fishing trip and need a guide give me a call.

Dave Stewart
    Bass Buster Guide Service
    270-354-5039
    dave@kentuckylakeguide.com
    http://www.kentuckylakeguide.com
    "Fish with a Professional"

Re: Weekly Fishing Report October 13, 2005 (Dave Stewart)

Good report Dave

5. Member

Weekly Fishing Report October 20, 2005

October 20, 2005

Kentucky Lake: Water level at Ky Dam - 354.79 Water Temperature - 69
    Lake Barkley: Water level at Barkley Dam - 354.80 Water Temperature - 69

Both lakes are one foot over winter pool and fluctuating. This has been a week of feast and famine. The water temperatures and lake levels have been fluctuating up and down daily most of this week. We have another cold front passing through the lakes area this evening and the water temperatures are sure to drop again (hopefully the will stay down this time). There has been a good early morning and late afternoon/evening bite on the bass but during the day it has been either feast of famine depending on how the water is moving (up or down) and what the water temps are doing (up or down). Hopefully the weather will settle into a fall scenario after this passing cold front and the water will quit fluctuating so much (it has been fluctuating all week about 6" sometimes twice in 24 hours). The Crappie folks I have been talking to are saying the same thing about their bite.."feast or famine". I would expect the bass bite to be tough over the weekend with the cold front passage but you never know..sometimes the bass don't read the rules.

Largemouth Bass: The Largemouth are scattered from the backs of the bays to the main lake. There has been a good early morning and late evening shallow water bite on topwater lures as well as a good crankbait bite on main lake points and secondary points near the mouths of the bays early and late. Largemouth are also being taken of drops near the mouths of the bays as the bass seem to be holding there staged to move into the bays in numbers but these fish seem to be reluctant to actively feed. Carolina rigs and jignpig are the best bests on these staging fish. Largemouth are also being taken in the bays on banks that have grass lines with topwater lures, sinking worms and tube jigs. If you find one of these banks holding feeding fish you can expect it to repeat daily at certain times. All this said, the bite has been poor to fair this past week with some moments of excitement during the early morning and late evening hours.

Smallmouth Bass: The Smallmouth Bass fishing has been sporadic this week also with some fair early and late bite on main lake points on crankbaits, tube jigs and jignpig and some Smallmouth being taken near shallow grass on topwater lures early and late in the day.

Some of the productive lures reported this week are: Lucky Craft sammy in ghost pearl lemon, american shad and aurora blue,
    Chatterbuzz and Booyah buzzbaits in black and in white, Lewis rattletraps in blue/chrome, Hook Some Bass spinnerbaits in blue glimmer, Yamamoto senko in white, Berkley Power Worm in red shad, Zoom fluke in shad patterns, Hook Some Bass tubes in green pumpkin and Hook Some Bass jigs in black/blue and green pumpkin.

The Crappie as mentioned before have been either feast or famine this week. I have witnessed some good catches this week coming from brush piles in 8-12 ft of water by spider rigging small jigs and minnow/jig combinations and also by fishing over the brush with small minnows under bobbers but there have also been some days this week that have left Crappie anglers shaking their heads and wondering what happened to the Crappie bite...best answer here is that the fluctuating water levels is either turning them on or turning them off depending on the direction of the water level change.

The White Bass are still schooling in the bays and I am still catching numbers of good sized fish on the flats while fishing for Largemouth Bass with spinnerbaits and rattletraps. For an added bonus the Rockfish are also schooling in the bays on the flats and I have caught these mean fighters almost every day this week in the same manner as the White Bass.....although I normally only guide for Largemouth and Smallmouth Bass if anyone is interested in catching some Rockfish I would be willing to take you out and give them a try.....of course I am still a catch and release guide.

The Catfish are being taken on the main river channels with yellowtail and shrimp fished on bottom rigs. There are a number of Catfish cruising the flats in the bays also because I have caught a number of these hungry roamers also whie fishig for bass this week.

The Bluegill are being taken around docks with wood cover on worms fished under bobbers.

Fall is late in coming this year so the best fishing is definitely yet to come. If you are in need of a guide for some fun bass fishing, tournament preparation, lake familiarization or technique instruction don't hesitate to give me a call or drop me an email. I have the following dates available for booking:

Oct 27 and 30

Nov: Still plenty of dates available for November...this is prime time for fall bass fishing.

Dave Stewart
    270-354-5039

6. Member

Weekly Fishing Report October 27, 2005

October 27, 2005

Kentucky Lake: Water Level at Ky Dam - 354.89 Surface Temperature - 64
    Lake Barkley: Water Level at Barkley Dam - 354.95 Surface Temperature - 64

Both lakes are one foot over winter pool. A major cold front passed through the lakes area last Saturday giving way to cooler weather which has dropped the water temperatures to more favorable levels for fall fishing. Fishing has continued to be feast or famine since last week. Prior to the cold front passage late last week some of the biggest bags of bass were weighed in during the Angler's Choice tournament that I can remember for this time of year. Since the cold front passage the fishing has once again turned spotty for bass with some good days and some very slow days this week. A high pressure area located north of the lakes area has been dominating the weather this week with north winds and cooler temperatures. The weekend outlook is good for some warming during the day and more favorable winds.

The Largemouth Bass are being taken in the bays primarily on spinnerbaits, crankbaits, tube jigs and jignpig. On the more active days the Largemouth are being taken with spinnerbaits and lipless crankbaits on the flats and medium running crankbaits on rocky creek channel banks and secondary points with wood cover. These active fish are feeding on large schools of baitfish. On the slower bite days the best bet has been fishing tube jigs and jigs around wood cover on primary and secondary creek channel banks.

The Smallmouth Bass are being taken on rocky main lake points and secondary creek channel points in the bays. These fish are being taken on crankbaits, tube jigs and jignpig.

Some of the more productive lures reported this week are: Hook Some Bass spinnerbaits in blue glimmer, Bandit crankbaits in craw/chartruese and rootbeer, Norman crankbaits in rootbeer, Wee Little Duck crankbaits in shad and craw patterns, Lewis Rattletraps in blue/chrome, Hook Some Bass tubes in chameleon craw and green pumpkin, Hook Some Bass and Stanley jigs in brown and black/blue.

The Crappie bite has been reported as good most days with some good catches coming in 6 - 12 ft of water over brush piles by both casting curly tail jigs and vertically fishing with minnows and jig/minnows combinations. I have received some reports of Crappie being taken as shallow as 4 ft on south Barkley.

I am still catching some nice White Bass and Stripers (Rockfish) on the flats in the bays while fishing for Largemouth Bass. Although I am not catching big numbers of the White Bass I am sure that someone throwing small inline spinners or small spoons could catch quite a few of these quality size whites.

I am also catching some Catfish back on the shallow flats while bass fishing as they are feeding on the schools of baitfish. We have caught a both Blue Cats and Channel Cats so jug fishing on the flats might be a good idea. Reports indicate that the Blue Cats are still mostly being taken on the main river channels and the Channel Cats are being taken near rocks close to shallow water. Bottom bouncing rigs with yellowtail and shrimp are reported to be working.

I have openings in November for some fun bass fishing, tournament preparation, lake familiarization or technique instruction. If you are in need of a guide don't hesitate to give me a call or drop me an email. November can be some of the best fishing of the year as the bass are feeding up for the coming winter.

Dave Stewart
    270-354-5039

7. Member

Weekly Fishing Report November 3, 2005

November 3, 2005

Kentucky Lake: Water level at Ky Dam: 355.03 Surface Temperature: 62
    Lake Barkley: Water level at Barkley Dam: 354.85 Surface Temperature: 62

Both lakes are at one foot over winter pool. The fishing continues to be feast or famine depending on which side of the latest cold front you are fishing on. For example yesterday we had flat water and blue skies after the latest cold front passed thru the area and fishing was tough but today we had some wind from the south and warming temperatures and the fishing was good. Typical of fall fishing patterns, you can have some very good days or some very slow days..but the nice weather and beautiful fall foliage makes the day on the lake worthwhile.

The Largemouth Bass are being taken primarily in the bays on secondary points and creek channel banks with wood cover as well as on the shallow flats. The deeper fish are being taken on crankbaits, tube jigs and jignpig. The shallow fish are being taken on spinnerbaits, lipless and shallow running crankbaits and soft jerkbaits. Some Largemouth are still being taken on the ledges and humps near the mouths of the bays on Carolina rigged creature baits and tubes.

The Smallmouth are being taken on main lake points on crankbaits, tube jigs and jignpig. Some Smallmouth are being taken early and late in the day in the bays on secondary points on crankbaits and on shallow flats on topwater lures and lipless crankbaits.

Some of the productive lures reported this week are: Lucky Craft sammy in ghost lemon shad and american shad, Bandit crankbaits in crawfish/chartruese, Lewis Rattletraps in blue/chrome, Hook Some Bass spinnerbaits in blue glimmer, Zoom baby brush hogs in watermelon/candy, Net Baits baby paca craw in green pumpkin and summer craw and Hook Some Bass tubes in green pumpkin.

The Crappie are being taken in the bays over brush piles in 6-12 ft of water by casting curly tail jigs and by veritically fishing with small tube jigs and minnow/jig combinations. Some good catches of Crappie are coming in on good bite days.

The White Bass are being taken in the bays as they are feeding on schools of baitfish. These fish are being taken with inline spinners and road runners.

The Catfish are being taken on the river channels on bottom rigs baited with cut baits. The Channel Catfish are being taken near rocky shorelines in the bays on bottom rigs baited with shrimp and leeches.

I am still catching a good number of Rockfish (striped bass) in the bays while bass fishing. These schooling fighters are hitting blue glimmer spinnerbaits with a vengeance when I happen upon them.

There is still plenty of good fall fishing yet to be done...actually our water temperatures are just now getting down where they need to be for the better fall bite. If you are in need of a guide for some fun bass fishing, tournament preparation, lake familiarization or technique instruction don't hesitate to give me a call or drop me an email. I still have a good number of dates open for booking this this month.

I am now taking reservations for next spring's fishing trips. March and early April is a great time for trophy Smallmouth and Largemouth fishing and mid April to early May is a great time for good numbers of Largemouth. Make your reservations early to get the dates you want.

A gift certificate for a guided bass fishing trip makes a great Christmas present for the avid bass angler. You can contact me via email or phone me for information. These have been very popular Christmas and special occassion gifts over the past few years.

Dave Stewart
    270-354-5039

8. Member

Weekly Fishing Report November 10, 2005

November 10, 2005

Kentucky Lake: Water Level at Ky Dam - 355.42 Surface Temperature - 62
    Lake Barkley: Water Level at Barkley Dam - 355.20 Surface Temperature - 62

Both lakes are slightly over one foot above winter pool. We had more record breaking warm weather this week accompanied by some high winds which has kept the water temperatures up in the low 60's. A cooling period is in the forecast so we should see the water temps drop slightly over the next few days. As reported last week the fishing is still feast of famine depending on which side of the latest cold front you are fishing on. Some very good days are being reported and some slow days are being reported. One thing is for sure, the fall bite is on and there is still plenty of fall fishing left to be done. This time of fall is a great time to be on the lakes with very few pleasure boaters and not nearly as many anglers....reminds me of why I like hunting season so much and I don't even hunt.

The Largemouth Bass are being taken primarily in the bays. Some fish are being taken on humps and creek channel ledges but the primary pattern is on the secondary points and flats as the Largemouth are feeding on the schools of baitfish. The deeper fish are being taken on Carolina rigged small creature baits and tubes. The fish on the secondary points are being taken on crankbaits, spinnerbaits, tube jigs and jignpig. The shallow fish are being taken on lipless crankbaits, spinnerbaits and tube jigs. There has been a few reports of a topwater bite also.

The Smallmouth Bass are being taken on main lake points and front secondary points in the bays. These fish are being taken on crankbaits, tube jigs and jignpig. Some Smallmouth are being taken early and late in the day on the flats in the bays on lipless crankbaits and spinnerbaits.

Some of the productive lures reported this week are: Lucky Craft sammy in american shad, Rebel Pop R in black/chrome, Bandit crankbaits in craw/chartruese and white, S&S rattletraps in threadfin shad pattern, Hook Some Bass spinnerbaits in blue glimmer, Hook Some Bass tubes in chameleon craw and green pumpkin and Zoom baby brush hogs in watermelon/candy.

The Crappie are active and being taken in the bays along the creek channels over deep brush piles and also around shallow wood cover. The deeper fish are being taken by vertically fishing with small jigs and minnow/jig combinations. The shallow fish are being taken by casting curly tail jigs and roadrunners near shallow brush piles.

The White Bass are feeding in the bays on schools of baitfish on the flats. These fish are being taken by casting inline spinners around the schools of baitfish.

The Channel Catfish are being taken in the bays along the creek channels on bottom bouncing rigs baited with shrimp and yellowtail. Jug fishermen are also doing well on the flats using the same baits.

There is still plenty of fall fishing yet to come and it should only get better. If you are in need of a guide for some fun bass fishing, tournament preparation, lake familiarization or technique instruction don't hesitate to give me a call or drop me an email.
    I have the following dates open this month: Nov 15, 16, 17, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 26, 27, 29. and 30.

Now is the time to make your reservations for next spring's fishing trips. Don't wait too late or you may not get the dates you want.

A gift certificate for a guided fishing trip makes a great Christmas or special occassion gift for the avid bass angler. This has become a very popular item over the past couple of years. Contact me for further details.

Take note: I get a number of inquiries about where to purchase some of the custom type lures that are frequently mentioned in my report. This week I mentioned one of these type lures made by S&S Custom Bass Tackle. These lures can be purchased at The Cabin Bait and Tackle located on U.S. 62 just west of Kuttawa. They stock these lures and also many other custom type lures such as those made by Hook Some Bass, Sensation Lures and Net Baits.

Dave Stewart
    270-354-5039

9. Member

Weekly Fishing Report November 17, 2005

November 17, 2005

Kentucky Lake: Water level at Ky Dam - 355.03 Surface Temperature - 59
    Lake Barkley: Water level at Barkley Dam - 354.85 Surface Temperature - 59

Both lakes are one foot over winter pool. What a week we have had with the weather. On Tuesday two cold fronts colided over the lakes area and brought with them some very bad storms imbedded with tornadoes. There was a lot of damage in the area, especially in Marshall County and also some loss of life. We would like to ask you folks to join us in sending our condolences and prayers to all those that have suffered from these storms. The fishing was good on Sunday and Monday prior to the storms arriving on Tuesday but it has been slow since then with the passage of the cold fronts but it should pick back up over the weekend if the weather forecast holds. The weekend weather outlook is for clear skies and highs in the mid to high 50's and lows in the lower 30's.

The Largemouth Bass are being taken in the creeks and bays on secondary points and on shallow flats. These fish are being taken on spinnerbaits, crankbaits, tube jigs and jignpig as they are feeding on the schools of baitfish. We should start seeing more schooling fish now that the water temperatures have dropped into the high 50's. I am also still catching a number of stripers (rockfish) feeding on these schools of shad also. I am taking most of them on spinnerbaits.

The Smallmouth Bass are being taken on the main lake points on crankbaits, tube jigs and jignpig. Some Smallmouth are also being taken in the bays feeding on the schools of baitfish with the same lures as mentioned for the shallow Largemouth.

Some of the productive lures this week are: Bandit crankbaits in rootbeer/chartruese, Lewis rattletraps in blue/chrome and rootbeer, S&S custom traps in threadfin shad, Hook Some Bass spinnerbaits in blue glimmer and Hook Some Bass tubes in green pumpkin and chameleon craw.

The Crappie are being taken over brush piles and around wood cover in the bays. Some are being taken along the old creek channels over brushpiles in 8-12 ft of water by vertically fishing with small tubes and minnows and by casting curly tail tubes. Some Crappie are also being taken over shallow brush piles in 3-8 ft of water by casting curly tail jigs.

The White Bass are being taken in the bays as they are feeding on schools of baitfish. These fish are being taken on small spoons and roostertails cast near the large schools of baitfish.

Bluegill are being taken around docks with wood cover on worms fished under bobbers.

Catfish are being taken on the old river channels by fishing with yellowtail, shrimp and leeches on bottom bouncing rigs. Some Catfish are being taken in the bays by jug anglers on the flats.

There is still some good late fall fishing to be had and it should last a few more weeks. If you are in need of a guide for some fun bass fishing, tournament preparation, lake familiarization or technique instruction don't hesitate to give me a call or drop me an email. I have the following dates still available in November:
    Nov: 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 26, 27, 29 and 30. I also have dates available in December and will be guiding this year until the weather puts a stop to it.

Now is the time to make your reservations for your next spring's fishing trips. Don't wait too late or you may have a problem getting the dates you desire.

A gift certificate for a guided fishing trip makes a great holiday or special occassion gift for the avid bass angler. These have been very popular over the past couple of years and we are once again offering the gift certificates for purchase to be given this Christmas. Now is the time to drop that hint to the wife or husband that you would like one of these for Christmas.

Dave Stewart
    270-354-5039

10. Member

Weekly Fishing Report November 25, 2005

November 25, 2005

Kentucky Lake: Water level at Ky Dam - 354.79 Surface Temperature - 53
    Lake Barkley: Water level at Barkley Dam - 354.85 Surface Temperature - 53

Both lakes are one foot over winter pool. Fishing was good earlier this week but the nasty cold front that came thru the lakes area on Wednesday evening has slowed things down but hopefully a forecasted warm up period this weekend will bring the bite back as it was earlier in the week. The surface temperatures dropped rapidly over the past two days and the shad pulled back to deeper water in the bays so if you are not getting bit this weekend back in the shallow water areas you have been fishing try moving out to to the first deeper water areas in the bays to find your fish.

The Largemouth Bass are being taken in the bays on secondary points and on the flats on crankbaits, spinnerbaits, jignpig and tube jigs fished near wood cover. These fish are feeding on schools of shad, especially under schools of feeding white bass and rockfish (stripers).

The Smallmouth Bass are being taken on main lake points on crankbaits, jignpig and tubejigs. The Smallmouth bite has picked up over the past week and should be good this weekend with the warm up and cloud cover.

Some of the productive lures this week were reported to be: Bandit and Norman crankbaits in rootbeer and rootbeer/chartruese, S&S traps in threadfin shad, Hook Some Bass spinnerbaits in blue glimmer, Hook Some Bass tubes in chameleon craw and green pumpkin and Hook Some Bass jigs in rootbeer.

The Crappie are being taken over brush piles along the old creek channels in the bays in 10-15 ft of water by vertically fishing with small tubes and minnow/tube combinations. Crappie are also being taken over brush piles and laydowns in 5 - 10 ft of water near the banks. These fish are being taken on minnows and tube jigs fished under bobbers as well as by casting curly tail jigs.

The Catfish are being taken on the old river channels by fishing with bottom rigs baited with cut baits and yellowtail.

The Bluegill are being taken around docks with wood cover on worms fished under bobbers.

I am guiding and will for another couple of weeks as long as the weather allows. If you are in need of a guide for some fun bass fishing, tournament preparation, lake familiarization or technique instruction don't hesitate to give me a call or drop me an email.

A gift certificate for a guided bass fishing trip makes a great Christmas or special occassion gift for the avid bass angler. Contact me via email or phone for information.

Now is the time to make your reservations for the coming spring bass fishing season. Don't delay too long or you have a problem getting the dates you want.

Folks if you are looking for a new boat or yours needs servicing while in the lakes area I highly recommend that you stop by Jet-A-Marina in Calvert City. You will not find a more helpful sales or service staff anywhere in western Kentucky. No I am not sponsored by these folks but I am impressed with the way they treat me when I need assistance and the feedback I get from my clients that have bought boats or gotten theirs serviced there is always positive. It sure is nice to deal with folks that will do what they can to take care of your needs with a positive attitude.

Dave Stewart
    270-354-5039

11. Member

Weekly Fishing Report December 9, 2005

December 9, 2005

Kentucky Lake: Water level at Ky Dam - 354.98 Surface Temperature - 46
    Lake Barkley: Water level at Barkley Dam - 354.60 Surface Temperature - 46

The water temperatures dropped like a rock over the past couple of weeks and we have been experiencing lots of cold weather and high winds. There has been very little fishing activity on the lakes this week. We had the first winter storm move through the lakes area yesterday with rain, sleet and light snow. Since there has been a lack of reports I decided I would give some tips for winter fishing here on the lakes this week.

Largemouth Bass: The best time to fish for these fish is during a warm up period which we normally experiece during January and sometimes in February. On a warm sunny day try suspending jerkbaits, slow rolling crankbaits and crawling jigs on riprap banks that are located on the north and northwest side. These banks will get more sun and sometimes will be a degree or two warmer than the surrounding water and the baitfish move into this warmer water.

Smallmouth Bass: The Smallmouth Bass are usually more active than Largemouth in the winter time. Try suspending jerkbaits, slow rolled crankbaits and jigs on rocky main lake points on the east side of Ky Lake. A technique that does work here that many folks have not tried is the float n fly. I have had good success with this technique in the winter time here on Ky Lake fishing it off bluffs and deep rocky points on the east side of Ky Lake. If you have not tried this technique you can do a search on the internet with "float n fly" and get information about this technique. I found my most productive color in the fly here to be blue/chartruese.

Crappie: Some of the best Crappie fishing for big Crappie takes place here in the winter time. The Crappie are normally taken along the old creek channel ledges on the main lakes by using spider rigging with small minnows and jigs. Bottom bouncing rigs with small minnows and jigs work also. The key here is to move slowly along a ledge with your baits at different depths until you locate a school of Crappie and can key in on the depth at which they are located.

Catfish: Some of the biggest blue catfish of the year are caught during the winter. These are taken especially on lower Barkley by fishing the river channel with bottom rigs and cut baits.

Sauger: Sauger is a winter time favorite for many local anglers here on the big lakes. Sauger can be located on the main lake near current breaks such as bridge riprap and pilings and are taken with curly tail jigs tipped with minnows and a stinger hook. Sauger will gather up along the deep drop offs in the canal also this time of year and if you hit the right day you can catch a lot of good Sauger.

Make sure when you venture on the lakes this time of year that you do the following:

1. Let someone know where you are launching from, where you are planning to fish and your expected return time. Ask them to check to make sure you made it back...this is not the time of the year to be stranded on the lake as there is very little traffic out there to lend you assistance.
    2. Wear your pfd when fishing, especially if you are alone....if you fall overboard the cold water will sap your strength very quickly.
    3. Take an extra set of dry clothing with you as well as items you might need if you get stranded....basically a survival kit in a waterproof bag..ie..matches, fire starter, flashlight, food etc.

I will resume my weekly fishing reports early next March. Until then I will be writing reports only when I receive good valid information on the fishing. I will also be traveling again this winter to do seminars at a number of outdoor and boat shows around the country. At this time my show schedule has not been firmed up. I will make another report as soon as I have a firm schedule and post it here so that folks in those areas that are planning a trip to KyBarkley next year can drop by and chat with me about the lakes.

Now is the time to make your reservations for the 2006 season. If you are in need of a guide for some fun bass fishing, tournament preparation, lake familiarization or technique instruction don't hesitate to give me a call or drop me an email. Don't wait too late to make your reservations for lodging and guides for next season or you may not get the date(s) you want.

A gift certificate for a guided bass fishing trip makes a great gift for the avid bass angler. The certificates are good until the end of next year. You can either set the date for the trip when you purchase the certificate or let the individual receiving the certificate do this after receiving the gift. Contact me via phone or email to purchase a certificate or for more information.

Dave Stewart
    270-354-5039

12. Member

Weekly Fishing Report January 7, 2006

January 7, 2006

Kentucky Lake: Water level at Ky Dam - 354.64 Surface Temperature - 45
    Lake Barkley: Water level at Barkley Dam - 354.35 Surface Temperature - 45

Both lakes are at or near winter pool and clear. We have had some nice days weather wise recently and the forecast for the next few days looks pretty good with daytime temperatures ranging from the high 50's to low 50's. One needs to check the wind forecasts each day as we have been having quite a bit of wind here on the lakes recently. Since reports are scarce in the winter time this will be an abbreviated report more so than my normal seasonal reports.

Largemouth Bass: Some reports of Largemouth being taken during the heat of the day near rocky main lake points and around rip rap close to deep water on slow rolled crankbaits, suspending jerkbaits and jignpig.

Smallmouth Bass: Some reports of Smallmouth Bass being taken off main lake rocky points near deep water on suspending jerkbaits.

Crappie: Quite a few reports of Crappie being taken along the old creek channels by spider rigging with small hair jigs and small minnows. The Crappie anglers seem to be having the best luck lately over the other anglers with some good catches being reported.

Sauger: Some reports of Sauger being taken in the canal on curly tail jigs and sassy shads tipped with minnows.

Catfish: Some big Blue Catfish are being taken on the river channels by fishing cut baits on bottom rigs.

If you have not made your reservations for guides and lodging for this spring you should do so as soon as possible. I still have some dates open for this spring but reservations are coming in daily so don't delay or you may not get the dates you want. If you are in need of a guide for some fun bass fishing, tournament preparation, lake familiarization or technique instruction don't hesitate to drop me an email or call me at 270-354-5039. Although I will be on the road for the next few weeks my wife will be available to take your reservation or if you are wanting to talk to me she will take your number and I will return your call.

This will probably be my last report until the first week of March. I will be leaving the lakes area in a few days to go do fishing seminars at a number of outdoor shows around the country until the end of February. Here are the shows I am scheduled to be at so if you are in the area of any of them please stop by during the show and say hello and if you have any questions about fishing our lakes here or the area I would be happy to talk to you:

Raleigh, N.C.: Bass and Saltwater Expo - Jan 13-15
    Ft. Washington (Philadelphia), Pa: Greater Philadelphia Sport, Travel, and Outdoor Show - Jan 19-22
    Monroe, La: KNOE TV Boating and Outdoor Show - Jan 27-29 (This show is still being negotiated so may be go or no go)
    Lexington, Ky: Kentucky Sport, Boat, and Recreation Show - Feb 2-4
    Worcester, Ma: Eastern Fishing and Outdoor Expo - Feb 9-12
    Indianapolis, In: Indianapolis Boat, Sport and Travel Show - Feb 17-26

Some Items of Interest:

There will be a new fishing section launched at http://www.explorekentuckylake.com on January 10, 2006. This section is named "Fishing 101". I had the priveledge to write quite a bit of this section which contains among other information tips about seasonal patterns and lures etc for fishing Kentucky and Barkley lakes. The section also contains among other things real time lake levels and water temperatures. I have had the priveledge of being able to preview this new fishing section and I believe it is one of the most informative if not the most informative one stop site for specific information about fishing Ky/Barkley.

I would like to thank Jet-A-Marina in Calvert City for all the great service they gave me and my clients this year. If you are in the area and are thinking about purchasing a boat or need some service work done you cannot find a better bunch of folks to work with. For the record: I am not sponsored by Jet-A-Marina...I just appreciate great service.

A new tackle shop opened here in the lakes area last season. The Cabin Bait and Tackle located on U.S. 62 near Kuttawa is a place that any bass angler coming to the area needs to check out. They carry a great line of custom type baits as well as off the shelf baits. You will see many of the custom type local and not so local lures mentioned in my reports sold at their location.

If you are in the market for some new carpet for your boat you should contact Doug Meyer of Meyer's Boatworks located just south of Louisville, Ky. I just had Doug recarpet my boat and I can honestly say I have never had a better service. Doug is very meticulous in his work and his prices are more than reasonable. You can reach Doug at 502-543-7787.

For those of you venturing on the lakes this winter: be careful, take a survival kit in case you get stranded, make sure someone knows where you are launching from and when you expect to return and have them check on you.

Dave Stewart
    270-354-5039

Modified by Dave Stewart at 6:51 AM 1/7/2006

Re: Weekly Fishing Report January 7, 2006 (Dave Stewart)

Good report Dave, thanks

14. Member

Weekly Fishing Report March 2, 2006

March 2, 2006

Kentucky Lake: Water level at Ky Dam - 354.37 Surface Temperature - 49
    Lake Barkley: Water level at Barkley Dam - 354.55 Surface Temperature - 50

Both lakes are just a few inches above winter pool. Record high temperatures and warm south winds warmed the lakes up considerably yesterday. Today we had a north wind blowing but still high temperatures but the air temperatures are supposed to return to more seasonable levels over the next few days. I would expect the surface temperatures on the lakes to drop a little with the cooler weather.

Largemouth Bass: Largemouth Bass are being taken on rocky main lake points and the first secondary points in the bays on suspending jerkbaits, slow rolled crankbaits and jigs. Largemouth are also being taken shallow in the bays near wood cover off gravel banks on warm days using lipless crankbaits. This bite is just getting started so I would expect it improve dramatically over the next couple of weeks unless we have some really cold weather.

Smallmouth Bass: Smallmouth Bass are being taken on gravel points on the east side of Ky Lake on suspending jerkbaits. Again, this bite is just getting started and should take off soon barring any bitter cold weather that would drop the water temperatures.

Here are some of the productive lures that were reported this week: Smithwick Rogues in black/chrome/orange, Rapala Husky Jerks in black/silver and blue/chrome/orange, Rapala shadraps in original crawdad and Lewis Rattletraps in blue/chrome.

Crappie: There have been mixed reports on the Crappie this week. The reports from the north end of the lakes indicated the fish were somewhat slow but some being taken by fishing brushpiles in 12-15ft along the old creek channels near the mouths of the bays on curly tail jigs fished by spider rigging. The reports from mid lakes south indicated that the fishing was a little better and that some Crappie were being taken in 5-6 ft of water where the warm winds had brought the water temps up to the low 50's.

I returned from my winter seminar tours this past Monday. My thanks to the folks that emailed me some up to date fishing reports on what they had been doing lately, reports are always appreciated and especially when I have been gone for 6 weeks. I got back on the water on Wednesday this week for the first time and it was a beautiful day in the high 70's although somewhat windy. I ran my boat out to check it out and did some fishing...I had two nice fish on Ky Lake fishing a suspending jerkbait on the east side of the lake and 4 nice fish on Barkley later in the day fishing shallow with a rattletrap. Best 5 fish would have gone between 18-19lbs. Of course I was fishing just before the cold front came thru so the bite was good with the combined effect of the approaching cold front and the warm temperatures warming up the water. I was doing a lot of running and checking things out or I am sure I could have boated quite a few more fish but I was more than happy with those I got. It's good to be home and back on the water. I would like to thank all those folks that came by the boat shows to see my seminars and it was good to meet so many nice folks and talk fishing.

I have the following dates open in March and April for booking:
    March: 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 13, 15, 20, 23, 24, 27, 28, and 30
    April: 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 13, 14, 17, and 29

If you are in need of a guide for some fun bass fishing, tournament preparation, lake familiarization or technique instruction don't hesitate to give me a call or drop me an email.

Dave Stewart
    270-354-5039

15. Member

Weekly Fishing Report March 9, 2006

March 9, 2006

Kentucky Lake: Water level at Ky Dam - 354.42 Surface Temperature - 51
    Lake Barkley: Water level at Barkley Dam - 354.45 Surface Temperature - 52

Both lakes are a few inches above winter pool with little flucuation. We have had warm high south winds for the past couple of days and lots of rain in the lakes area today and more is forecasted for tonight. The TVA at this time is not forecasting any significant rise in the water levels but this could change and should be monitored by anyone planning on fishing over the weekend. The warm winds and rain has the water temperatures on the rise and this is a good thing for the early spring fishing.

Largemouth Bass: The Largemouth Bass are being taken on main lake points and first secondary points in the bays. These fish are being taken with suspending jerkbaits and crankbaits. Largemouth are also being taken shallow in the bays near wood cover especially on gravel banks. These early shallow fish have been biting good and some nice catches have been reported. The shallow fish are being taken on lipless and shallow running crankbaits and spinnerbaits.

Smallmouth Bass: The Smallmouth Bass are being taken on the east side of Ky Lake on main lake primary and secondary points. These fish are being taken on suspending jerkbaits Most of the reports have the catches reported as scattered and no big numbers of fish are being reported. This should change with the water warming up and I expect the Smallmouth bite to get going good very soon.

Some of the more productive lures this week are: Smithwick Rogues in black/chrome/orange, Rapala Husky Jerks in blue/chrome/orange, Flat sided Rapala crankbaits in black/silver and Lewis Rattletraps in blue/chrome and white.

Crappie: Some good catches of Crappie have been reported this week. The Crappie are being taken along the creek channels in the bays over wood cover in 12-15 ft of water by spider rigging small tube jigs and small minnows. Shallow Crappie are also being reported in 4-6 ft of water around brush piles. These fish are being taken by fishing with minnows under bobbers and by casting small roadrunner type jigs with curly tails.

I have not received any reports on other species at this time although I did see an angler pulling in some nice blue catfish on the main river channel of Ky Lake by bottom fishing with cut baits.

The early spring bite is getting underway here on the big lakes. If you are in need of a guide for some fun bass fishing, tournament preparation, lake familiarization or technique instruction don't hesitate to give me a call or drop me an email. Bookings are open for the entire season. I have the following dates open in March and April:

March: 12, 15, 23, 24, 26, 28, and 30
    April: 4, 5, 8, 9, 10, 11, 13, 14, and 17

Remember the water temperatures are still in the range for hypothermia....make sure you have a set of dry clothes with you when you venture on the water and let someone know where you are launching from and your expected time of return and have them check on you to make sure you got off the water safely.

Dave Stewart
    270-354-5039

Re: Weekly Fishing Report March 9, 2006 (Dave Stewart)

March 11th & 12th, Kentucky Lake

Just got home last night @ 830 from an awesome weekend @ KY lake. My first time down there and had a blast!! Thanks to Dave Stewart for his detailed fishing reports that helped steer me and my and buddy in the right direction.

Sat. March 11th, Stormy and windy conditions, water temps @ 50degrees, took of to Higgins Bay from KY Dam Marina, rough ride but definitely fun.
    The bite was slow in AM (or I wasn't on the right program). Started off with traps, switched to a jig, nothing, @ 11:30 started fishing a secondary point with the wind blowing in on it and into a little pocket with some wood and rocky banks. Tied on a Smithwick Rogue (Mark Menendez series) and immediately commenced to whackin' em. Had 4 in the 2.5 to 3.5 range within 20 minutes, my partner caught several smaller ones and severa white bass in the same area. Pulled back around and fished towards the windblown point and blasted out a 8-2!! Water was somewhat clear and I believe that was the key in those areas. All fish were in the 4-6' depth range while I kept the boat in 8-12'. On our way back in we fished the rip-rap along the KY Dam Marina entrance, again on the windblown side and whacked em pretty hard there too. Water was stained, Chartruese & purple Rogue. Both jerkbaits were suspending models. Caught a few short smallmouth around rip rap. One spot. Excellent Day!
    March 12th, KY Lake
    Ran to Pisgah Bay in AM, secondary point, windblowing in, suspending jerkbaits in 4-8' , smallmouth and largemouth, mostly short fish but a couple of keepers. Seemed to be the same pattern as Sat. (weather, water temp. etc.) going until the wind just died. Stayed in the same area and threw weightless senko in watermelon and had good sucess. Wind died and the fish moved out to about 12', and were suspended but couldn't pass on the senko. Awsome trip! Can't wait to go back!! Will post some pics later on today hopefully.

Modified by bassketcase05 at 10:31 AM 3/13/2006

Modified by bassketcase05 at 10:32 AM 3/13/2006

Modified by bassketcase05 at 10:33 AM 3/13/2006

Modified by bassketcase05 at 1:39 PM 3/13/2006

2018 Cougar FTD/V8 250 Pro XS
    Colin Maple, Ft. Wayne IN
    IRONHEAD JIG Co. EST 2010

17. Member

Weekly Fishing Report March 16, 2006

March 16, 2006

Kentucky Lake: Water Level at Ky Dam - 354.40 Surface Temperature - 56
    Lake Barkley: Water Level at Barkley Dam - 354.55 Surface Temperature - 57

Both lakes are a few inches over winter pool and are forecasted with a slight rise over the next couple of days. The unseasonably warm weather and windy conditions continued this week and the water temperatures have risen considerably. Our surface temperatures are now about 7 degrees above normal for this time of year. The forecast for the next 5 days shows the air temperatures will return to more seasonable levels of highs in the low 50's and low's in the 30's beginning tomorrow. We will have to see if the water temperatures drop but I would expect they will at least a degree or two.

Largemouth Bass: Some good fish have been taken over the past week both on early deep water patterns and on shallow patterns. Largemouth are being taken on primary main lake points and secondary creek channel points in the bays on suspending jerkbaits and crankbaits. Some good catches are also being taken on warm windy days on the flats in shallow water near submerged wood cover using lipless crankbaits and spinnerbaits. The cooler weather may slow down this shallow water bite, we will just have to wait and see.

Smallmouth Bass: The Smallmouth Bass are once again being reported with scattered catches and no large numbers being taken. The fish that are being reportedly caught are being taken on main lake primary points and the first few secondary points in the bays on the east side of Ky lake. It may be the weird weather we have been having but whatever the reason the normally good Smallmouth bite we have this time of year has not been there as of yet.

Some of the more productive lures reported for the past week are: Smithwick Suspending Rogues in Tennessee shad, black/chrome/orange, Rapala Husky Jerks in blue/chrome/orange, Rapala X-Raps in black/silver, green/white, Bandit crankbaits in rootbeer/chartruese, Rapala DT7 (flat sided) silver, Rapala shadraps in original crawdad, Lewis Rattletraps in blue/chrome and black/red and Hook Some Bass spinnerbaits in blue glimmer and chartruese/white

Crappie: There have been good reports on the Crappie this week with a number of folks limiting out. From the reports I have received it seems the Black Crappie are being taken shallow in 4-6 ft of water around wood cover by fishing with minnows and small jigs under bobbers as well as by casting small roadrunner type jigs with curly tails on deeper banks. Anglers are also taking White Crappie along old creek channels over deep brush piles in 10-12 ft of water by spider rigging with small jigs and minnows.

I have not received any reports on other species of fish as of yet or at least not enough reports to feel that the report would be valid.

Remember the water temperatures and weather are still in the range for hypothermic conditions so you should take precautions such as having an extra set of dry clothing with you and you should let someone know where you will be fishing and when you expect to return and have them verify that you got in safely.

I have the following dates available for booking over the rest of March and the month of April:
    March: 23, 24, 28 and 30
    April: 4, 5, and 11

If you are in need of a guide for some fun bass fishing, tournament preparation, lake familiarization or technique instruction don't hesitate to give me a call or drop me an email.

Dave Stewart
    270-354-5039

18. Member

Re: Weekly Fishing Report March 9, 2006 (bassketcase05)

Congratulations on a great trip down here to the big lakes. Nice fish in that pic for sure. Glad my reports helped put you in the right direction.

19. Member

Re: Weekly Fishing Report March 9, 2006 (Dave Stewart)

Dave, Back in 03' I went to the ABA Nationals and when I was prepairing for the trip I kept an eye on your site for reports. I want to thank you for them then and also for continuing the great reports now! Hopefully I'll be making the trip back up there this year and again will be watching your reports religiously!

Signs by Crazy Elvis, Official Decals of TeamFATBOY!
    I called my stockbroker and asked him what I should be buying.
    He said, \"Canned goods and ammunition\".

20. Member

Re: Weekly Fishing Report March 9, 2006 (TeamFATBOY)

Steve: thanks for the kind words and you can bet I will have my reports out every week per normal...good luck up there this year.

Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast