Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lake Malone Reports Posted Here

Please post your lake malone Reports in this thread

2. Member

Re: Lake Malone Reports Posted Here (mikedaleo)

Fished Lake Malone Saturday 3\5. Air temp was near 28 degrees ar launch and water temp was 44. Only bites came near noon when water temp was 50 in the shallows around the docks. Two bites were a #1 on a shaky head worm and a nice #3 on a white jerk bait close to docks.
    Things should improve a lot in the coming days as warm temps take over.

Modified by gpugh at 4:18 PM 3/11/2006
    " The Charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope "

Re: Lake Malone Reports Posted Here (gpugh)

I have heard good things about that lake, looking forward to future reports

4. Member

I read an article in the Ky Afield magazine last year where the KDFW said they expect the next Ky state record to come from Lake Malone. I was present at one of the surveys a couple of years ago when they were shocking up fish. I don't doubt that statement. Malone seems to get a lot of attention from KDFW with fertilization and slot limits. It is a scenic lake, though is very difficult to figure out the pattern sometimes. Summertime patterns are usually jigs (black\blue) and reversed senkos to get under rock ledges, though I have caught my share with suspending jerk baits.
    " The Charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope "

5. Member

We fished a Club T. on Sat-3/25/06. Mostly cloudy, Air temp was in the low 30's am warming to low 40's later. Cold and the wind kicked up at times up to 10-15mph. Water temp 45-49 degrees. Water clarity was good on the main lake but stained in the back flats due to recent rains. 1st place caught his fish in the back shallows w/structure on spinner baits. Some large fish (8.4lbs , 6.7lbs, and 5+lbs) were caught in 10-15 ft w/ rip rap lined banks on jig and pig. With the 12-15" slot, members were allowed to keep 1 fish under 12" to avoid skunking. It took a whopping 5 fish, 19+ lbs to win, then dropped to 3 fish for 15+lbs for 2nd and then 4+ lbs, 1 fish for 3rd. Primary lures that caught fish were spinner baits, jigs and brush hogs. The norm for our club is to catch fish on crankbaits at this lake but they were not so productive this time.

6. Member

Re: Lake Malone Reports Posted Here (19stratos88)

Paul,
    Thats some nice fish. Charlie Crabtree was telling me about your T there. I like that lake but always have a hard time figuring out the pattern. I usually just luck-up on some nice ones now and then. Same with Beshears.

7. Member

Hey Gary, I'm pretty much the same way...lucking some up that is. I have certain things I use that usually can pick something up and then if they arn't working, I expand out and try something a little different. I don't fish a jig/pig very often but this day it just seemed right and low and behold it paid off early. We just kept going back to the same area and there would be another nice fish hanging around. I went as a non-boater since my boat has a 225 hp(little more HP than Malone allows) and I had those 2 good ones and my partner had a 5+ all within 100 yds. You can bet I'll mark that area on the map for a later date. I had fished there before with little success. I love Beshears....Its almost a twin to Malone . I usually do OK there with crankbaits or spinnerbaits. Just put the TM down and fish.
    How do you know Charlie? He sure loves to fish. Catching isn't important to him....just being there and having fun. Oh and then EATING the Sunday buffet at Barkley Lodge....You'll have to ask him about that.
    Talk to you later, Paul

8. Member

We both work at D`Patrick. I work at the service dept. He is at the body shop.

9. Member

Oh OK, I think he's mentioned your name before.

Have a good friend that told me he went to malone recently. Told me in 8 hours they cuaght close to 70 fish, around 15 were 3+ 3 were 5+. Said all fish were caught on shallow running crankbaits on one bank. Sounded like an amazing day today.

11. Member

Re: Lake Malone Reports Posted Here (flippindrew)

Sounds like he hit it on a good day!! I'm sure some guys can do this regularly. Not me...but we only fish it once a year

I keep hearing about how awesome Malone is, I really need to take a trip down there.

13. Member

Re: Lake Malone Reports Posted Here (flippindrew)

My experience with Malone is that it is either "on" or "off". Have not had many in between days there.

14. Member

Going to try Malone today. Will report back if any luck and rain doesnt ruin it. They do have hp restrictions. max 200hp starting after Labor Day till one week before Memorial Day. In the Summer, 150hp max. A gentleman from church caught over 100 crappie Wednesday.

2005 G3 HP200 DC with 200hp V-MAX OX66
    68.8 gps at 5600 rpm best speed yet

15. Member

Re: Lake Malone Reports Posted Here (Trent_in_BG)

caught 2 large mouth bass. One was about 2 pounds, the other smaller. Then the Sun came out, didn't catch anything rest of the day.

2005 G3 HP200 DC with 200hp V-MAX OX66
    68.8 gps at 5600 rpm best speed yet

16. Member

Re: Lake Malone Reports Posted Here (Trent_in_BG)

I see no one has updated this site for a while and being this is our favorite spot for large mouth, I thought I would give it a try.
    Water temp is holding around 77 to 78 degrees. Slightly off color due to all the rain. Water is up about 2 feet. The bite is slow in the channels but caught a few over the grass.
    My opinion this lake is fished very hard. Three or more tourneys every week of the summer. A night tourney on Friday night and every other Saturday day tournaments. Has not kept the boy and myself from catching fish though.
    One thought. Respect the fisherman as you pass and slow down.

Modified by Robsdad at 8:25 AM 10/19/2009

Modified by Robsdad at 8:26 AM 10/19/2009

17. Member

Re: Lake Malone Reports Posted Here (Robsdad)

I have not been on Malone in over 15 years, do they have a boat and motor size limit? I caught my biggest fish to date on Malone 7.3lbs in club tourney many moons ago..
    ** Autism Awareness 1 in 88 affected **
    iasf4u.org

97 Triton TR21DC
    97 Evinrude 200HP Vindicator

18. Member

Re: Lake Malone Reports Posted Here (swillia2)

I really do not want to say. I have heard they lifted the hp rating and I have seen boats over 18 feet. You had better check with someone else to be sure. I am going this week on 10/21/09 so I will try and find out for you. We have caught some really good fish down there this summer but I have not been back for about 3 weeks since all the wet weather and drop in temps. We have caught 4 over 8 and a barrel full of 7+ they are released and still in there. I will give you a report though on Wed. night. Have a great day.

19. Member

Re: Lake Malone Reports Posted Here (Robsdad)

Thanks... Looking forward to the update.. Good Luck!!!
    ** Autism Awareness 1 in 88 affected **
    iasf4u.org

97 Triton TR21DC
    97 Evinrude 200HP Vindicator

20. Member

Re: Lake Malone Reports Posted Here (swillia2)

Well Steve here goes:

I found out from two different sources that 200 hp and 21' for Lake Malone. Please
    understand that it is not posted on the board at the ramp. This information was from
    two boat owners that I met today. One had a 21' with a 150 and the other had a
    smaller boat. However the one with the longer boat told me he would have gotten
    more hp for his boat but in 2006 the lake had a 150 limit.
    Also the time between time changes starting in the fall there is no limit on hp or lgth.
    I think time changes Nov. 1st or 2nd.
    Now back to the fishing.
    I put in at 6:30 and yes it was cold around 45 deg. Fish were hanging between 12
    and 20 foot of water. Had no luck and no one that I talked to had any. They just
    were not doing anything today. I threw everything from a worm to a deep diving
    crank with nothing. The water is off colored but normal for this time of year on this
    lake. Clear but kinda brownish in color. You could see down over four feet into the
    water. The water temp ranged from 57.5 to 61.3 throughout the day. It seemed to
    be warmer on the dam end of the lake. Did not see any bait fish schooling back in
    the shallow water kind of a bad day. But a bad day fishing beats a good day at work
    anytime.
    That is about all I have to tell you, if I can be of help to you just let me know.
    Robsdad
    Darrell

Modified by Robsdad at 3:11 PM 10/21/2009

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast