Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
  1. Member
    Been hitting it hard the past couple of weekends. It seems the same is going on up on the other end of the lake. I've been focusing on cranks primarily. I've heard the same topwater bite, and some big smallies on it, but I must not be holding my mouth right. We went back to the very back of a creek today, and the same thing was going on with the shad just jam packed in there. I started fishing a jerk bait some today. never caught anything on it, but at one point in time, I was pulling an entire school of spots back to the boat with me. It was pretty cool watching 10+ spots eyeball a suspended jerkbait waiting for it to move again. I'm not exaggerating on that either, It started out as 3-5 then before I stopped I was bringing the whole school back. Water is gin clear down on our end, and when the sun is out, its tough. As much as I hate to, I think I'm going to have to give a drop shot a try. I'm finding spots in open water in the creeks, smallies on the main lake, and largemouth hugged up in cover (which is getting sparse). I wish I could give a definate go to bait, but it has been hit and miss, spinnerbaits, and all types of cranks.

2. Member
    Patrick,

You are doing something that I'm not if you are catching them on crankbaits. I fished beaver creek on this past Saturday and had around 11lbs, however I had one LM that weighed 5-3 on digital scales so those help. It came off point in about 20 ft of water. Then proceeded down the bank and caught a couple more keeper spots on topwater. Good Luck!!!!

3. Member
    It seems things have been pretty hit and miss. Water level is around 690, clarity is crystal clear on the main lake and stained in the backs of the creeks. Early to mid October I was catching fish on a square bill in the very backs of the creeks. If the water was more stained I did pretty well on a spinnerbait in the mornings. As the sun came up, I was catching some pretty good spots on a vertical jigged tube bait.

Later in October (10/26), the LM began moving out of the backs of the creeks and most of the bigger fish seemed to be in open water chasing shad. I caught most of my fish on a spinnerbait, but the biggest fish of the day was on a A-rig in open water. I found schools of spots stacked on timber in 10-20 ft of water further out towards the mouths of creeks. Also marked some fish feeding on ledges down to 25ft.

My last trip (11/3) I tried to focus mainly on SM. I put in at the dam, and cruised the points up to the mouth of Indian Creek. I got a few spots to follow a jerkbait, and got bit on a silver buddy, but never could hook up. I graphed fish feeding around wind blown points anywhere from 5 -15 feet. Saw some surface activity as well. It may have just been the day, or the fact that I haven't fished around the dam in quite a while. I wish I had some better information, but thats the way it goes.

4. Member
    Ok, I have a little better info. Water temps are roughly in the low to mid 60's and according to the Corps' website 63 surface, 65 at 15-20 feet. It sounds and looks like the lake may be starting to turn over. Water level is about 689 above sea level. I didn't catch many today, but my partner and I got consistently bit throwing a silver buddy. Most of these bites came on steep banks/bluff walls and the points at the end of these around chunk rock and boulders. We also saw a lot of surface activity in open water. We chased these fish with no success. Most of our bites and fish came from the 15-25 ft depth with the key being rock. My theory is rock is holding heat better and the band of warm water is keeping the fish at that level more active. I am still trying to figure out the silver buddy. I seemed to miss most of the fish that bit today. I don't know if this is just the nature of this bait, if I'm just not doing it right, or if the fish were short striking it. If anybody has any tips on this, any help would be appreciated.

5. Member
    went last week for a couple hours to fishing creek water temp was 39 to 41 from Pulaski park to lees ford found some fish over flats on graph put did not catch any thing I will try to update as water warms up some

6. Member
    Thanks for posting. I'd like to keep this thread going. I haven't been able to go recently, but have wondered about hitting some deep areas off of flats. I had some really good success deep cranking the flats this year, and thought about slowing it down for winter time. I may be shooting myself in the foot, but I was catching some fish on blade baits a month or so ago, and found a few places carrying cumberland pro lures blade baits. The 1/2 ounce version is a bigger blade body than the 1/2 ounce version in other brands. This seemed to lend to a better quality of fish, and a different vibration. The down side is that I don't think they are making them anymore. I've tried to stock up on them, but I figure if people show an interest in them, maybe they will start making them again. I have absolutely no affiliation with this company, I would just like to see these become more readily available. I also got to thinking a big flutter spoon may produce some fish. I tried this in the summer on deep fish on flats, and didn't have any luck, but with success on the bigger blade baits, I thought this may be a decent bait to try. Wish I had some fresh info to throw out there, but for right now, I'm trying to pass the time during sub-zero temps.

Good luck to you guys that hit the lake in the upcoming weeks, and hopefully we can get some more reports going soon.

7. Member
    ok went to buckcreek today watertemp was 43 and color good but we will be getting rain tonight also only had two hits on arig but no good and looked at fishing creek it is still froze over

8. Member
    Im headed down from Michigan to get away from this HARD water and enjoy a weekend warrior trip on Cumberland. Can anyone give me some info on the lakes water temps, and lake conditions? (throw a pattern or two if your so inclined) Hopefully, Ill be able to catch a few, catch some rays, and enjoy some SOFT water. Hope everyone is loading the boat lately!

9. Member
    Fished the past 2 days on LC. Didn't get a water temp reading, but the water level is at full summer pool of 723ft. Day one included fishing a back creek arm with square bill cranks and spinnerbaits, both in shad colors. The crankbaits produced well for LM, but only had a few followers on the spinnerbait. Day 2 I started with a trick worm around flooded trees which produced a few keeper spots. The crainkbait produced well again on day 2. Both days I flipped t-rigged plastics around trees and grass, which produced well, and mainly produced bigger fish, especially after dark.

Of the approximate 20 fish caught only 2 had a bloody tail, and all but one were caught shallow. As far as I can tell, as well as speaking with others on the water, it seems that many fish haven't spawned yet.

10. Member
    Thought I would post in here and see if there is any updates to the lake and whats been going on. I was down last week went all over wolf creek arm and struggled. Did catch a couple on a TRig worm here and there mostly 1 lb spots but did get a couple LM too around the same size including one 3-4 lber that got off at the boat. Most of them were caught in the 8-10ft range mostly in open water away from cover. water was mostly clear from WCM all the way to Alli 2 but got a little dirtier as we got further up creek toward old Alli1 and beyond. Looked like there were fish still holding in deep water on ledges but I couldn't buy a bite trying for them with worms and deep cranks. Saw a couple balls of shad one n open water about 5-10' deep out from Ali2 and one at the surface right by the inside bend (eastside) of the creek split by old Ali 1 Water temps were around 76-78 in mornings and jumping back to 80-82 by afternoon. Did get couple bites flipping a TRig creature/craw into and around cover but nothing real big a 1.7lb LM in 6' and a 1lb SM in 4' both tight to isolated trees. I will be heading back down the 26th and will be there for about 10 days hoping I can figure out a good pattern and find some big ones. BTW water level is/was around 705', a great phone app for water level and generation schedule is TVA Lake Info, has Cumberland "Wolf Creek" as well as all the other TVA Lakes.

11. Member
    Well its been a pretty good trip this time around I would say. I had a couple slower days and had some good days too. This morning was probably the best I managed to catch about 9 lbs in 3 hrs in a creek arm this morning throwing nothing but a buzzbait from about midway back to the mouth. Throwing in the little outcoves around the thicker grouping of flooded trees doing the best for results. Had a 3.7 lber and a 2.6 lber following the same pattern. all in all though I caught about 17 lbs throwing the shad colored baits throughout the week, from plastic swimbait in 25' of water on a old creek channel bend, a pearl/white chatterbait, T-Rig green pumpkin brushhog, and a white buzzbait producing the best of all of it until about 1030-11 in the morning. Did see some good size balls of shad most of them were still suspended in deeper water around the creek channel and I did see one big ball at the mouth of a back end creek split, but never could have any luck tossing around any of them. Water temp was around 76 in the morning still getting up to 80 by the afternoon. The weather is calling for 2 nights in the low 40's down here though starting this weekend so not sure how much effect that will have but could bring it down. Also as a side note did see a ton of gar slurping around the surface in the backs of the creek arms I was in and there really wasn't a bass bite anywhere that there was a few of them slurping around.

I'm headed down Friday morning, 10/21 if anyone knows what's going on there with LM SM or spotted bass, I would greatly appreciate it. I haven't been there for around 5 years now and don't have any kind of game plan since this blistering cold front moved on this week. Any help will be much appreciated!!

Any info on what's going on? Probably heading to the lake on the 28th
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    2019 Mercury 250 FS

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Z9mccoy View Post
    Any info on what's going on? Probably heading to the lake on the 28th
    Check out fishin.com some good reports on the smallies.

15. Member
    So just reviving this thread before heading back down in about a week and a half. I did make it down earlier at the beginning of this month caught a few good almost 3 lbers up in the back of the Wolf Creek arm by old Alligator 1 dock. Only got out twice in a few days water temp was 49 in the mornings and 52 or so in the afternoon. Most of the catches were with a jig slowly crawling it along the bottom over the flooded brush and trees. Did get a bite on a buzzbait and a chatterbait but couldn't get as consistent bites as with the jig. I imagine spawn is probably in full swing right now down there. Anyone with reports or info please share.
    Attached Images Attached Images

16. Member
    Fished out of Cumberland point this past Friday night tour had 5 keepers and some throw backs baits were shakeyhead and brush hog and buzzbait and crank bait should get even better over the next couple weeks

17. Member
    So we're heading up that way in mid September for the HS Regionals. Never been west of the mountains to bass fish before. What the heck should we expect then? We're planning on trying to get in three days of practice with the kids.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567