Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar

Re: Fishing Report Rough River Lake,KY 11/1/05 (CincyBas)

My son and I fished Sat 4-29. There seemed to be small bass most anywhere you threw. We must have caught over 30 on a fluke and a senko but only 2 were over 15" (I did breakoff one good fish) My son threw a small white heavy cover spinnerbait some and caught 8 or 10 wipers and a 1 1/2 lb crappie on it, unfortunately no bass were caught on the spinnerbait.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

2. Member
    McCormick, SC - By way of Aubrey,TX ,Buford, GA and originally Kettering, OH

Re: Fishing Report Rough River Lake,KY 11/1/05 (Roddyrude)

I'll be fishing Rough River for the first time in Oct. Any suggestions for techniques, bait selection or locations would be appreciated!
    2020 520L / 250 PRO XS 4S

3. Member

Re: Fishing Report Rough River Lake,KY 11/1/05 (Basser1OH)

Rough is very hard for me. But I would swim a jig under the floating docks, senko's, & flukes ect. Thats how I would start. Good luck to you!

4. Member

Re: Fishing Report Rough River Lake,KY 11/1/05 (KY186)

KY186 - Thanks for the input. I enjoy dock fishing and will give it a try. Any creeks that you prefer that time of year?

5. Member

Anyone else have any suggestions for Rough River in mid-October? I'm not looking for anyone's honeyholes, just solid ideas for techniques and bait selection that work on Rough. Thanks for any help.

6. Member

If your fishing rough in the fall run up to calamese creek you can stay on that side of the lake all day.Theres a little pocket on the right before you go under the bridge.IF there dropping the water real hard try the indian valley area.Dont forget about panther creek!!!

7. Member

Re: Fishing Report Rough River Lake,KY 11/1/05 (Prowlerpro)

Prowlerpro - Very good info! Any tips on bait selection?

8. Member

Rattletraps,square billed cranks.Also try a series 3 strike king crank chrome with blue back it runs about 8 to 10 feet on 10lb line and retie often nothing but rocks and brush piles in that lake.If the fish are in a early winter pattern try channel banks with a prowler tube or prowler drop shot worm rigged on shakey head those fish can be real fincky!I caught a couple of 8lbs under one dock last year skippin a finesse worm under dock if all else fail try the docks.Try some zara spooks and storm chug bugs too.Also if you find bunch of baitfish but no fish try and find school of larger size shad and try a fluke.

Modified by Prowlerpro at 7:14 PM 9/24/2006

9. Member

Re: Fishing Report Rough River Lake,KY 11/1/05 (Prowlerpro)

Prowlerpro - Again, great information! Please email me at mbrown1137@aol.com so that I can ask you some specifics about Proler Lures. Especially thier finesse worms.

Thanks again,
    Mike

10. Member

Fishing Report Rough River Lake,KY 4/14/07

With the below normal air temps, and cooler water, the fish are still on the main lake points and chunk rock bends near deeper water. We had very heavy rain over night Friday and all day Sat. bring the lake up pretty quick. With the warmer weather coming this week the bass should start moving into the creeks. We caught bass on green pumpkin jigs with zoom lil critter craw in chartreuse pumpkin. Water temps 53 to 55.
    Greg Paschal - Louisville, KY
    Boatless

11. Member

Re: Fishing Report Rough River Lake,KY 5/5/07-5/6/07

Day 1: Fished in the rain for most of the day. Water temp was near 73* and water was stained near Clifty and clear near the dam area. I caught 4 fish for 7.72 pounds and was in second. Caught 3 of the keepers on a Bandit 100 crankbait and 1 on a tube. Fish came near the banks in less than 5 foot of water.

Day 2: Was greeted by bluebird skies and 20 -30 mph winds. Fishing was alot tougher. Managed 1 on a Bandit 100 and 1 on a tube for a total of 2.96 pounds. Alot more boat traffic.

Final tally: 6 fish for 10.68 pounds and First Place. Second had 10.01 pounds; Third had 9.11 and Fourth had around 8.5 pounds.

Disrespect is the worst form of respect!!!

Re: Rough River Lake Reports Posted Here (Mike Daleo)

Sunday, Rough River was exactly that, rough. The main lake was extremely windy and I was using allot of trolling batteries to stay on point. So, I went into Panther creek and caught a couple on the secondary creek points and a few in the shallows. The only problem is that they were all slots. Then I went up to North Fork and caught a couple off of the secondary points there. Overall, the water was very stained except and would expect it to be that way for a few days on account of the rain on Sunday. The only clear water was along the cliffs down by state ramp.

Now don't hold your info. Share it. That is why this board was made, to keep all of us up to date.

No one is saying you have to give up your favorite spots or even what bait you are using. Just help out on info.

Re: Rough River Lake Reports Posted Here (Rick1067)

Any one been here recently? Whats the fishing forecast?

14. Member

Re: Rough River Lake Reports Posted Here (Live2FishKy89)

Anyone fishing rough river lately? How is the fishing with all the rain and high water??

Last friday night I had 6 keepers that would go about 15lbs at Rough. Main lake points on shad color crankbaits before dark. Watermelon red brush hogs after dark.
    Allison XB21 2+2 with Mercury 300R

16. Kentucky Bass Club/ IN/KY Rally Moderator

Re: (Dark Allison)

Fished Rough Saturday 8 til 2pm had about a 15lb limit. Caught them on everything we threw. Jigs,CBs, Chatter bait, SB, Spook. All of the biggest came on a Jig. Water was stained and 55 early and 59 later.

17. Member
    Any reports for this week on Rough River lake? Turnover yet? Water levels/temps? Any good patterns for this time of year?
    Any comments welcomed. Send a PM if you want. Heading down 10/26-27 staying at State Lodge, probably using dam ramp?
    Dave

18. Member
    Lake and River Level Update April 6 at 6:10 AM:

Lake level was 490.16 ft and still rising slowly
    Discharge was 57 cfs
    Rough River at Dundee was 5.80 ft

Weather conditions are clear and sunny
    Lake water temp is running in between 47-50 degrees
    Water color is stained on main lake and clear in the creeks.

Crappie are fair-good and being taken near channels of the creeks with
    Some being caught near brush piles and standing timber in
    6-8 ft of water while using minnows and also jigs tipped with wax worms being
    effective as well.Rosy Red minnow’s have been the preferred.

Bass are fair and being taken on jigs and worms fished near
    structure in 6-12 ft of water ,while crank baits in citrus and mustard colors fished around
    8-10ft of water on primary and secondary points are producing a few numbers as
    well.

Hybrids are slow and being taken on r shiners and night crawlers with a few reports of inline spinners are picking up a few. .

Bluegill are still slow and being taken in 4-6 ft of water around
    timber and brush piles
    with redworms and waxworms and small spinners.

Catfish are slow to fair! and being taken on ledges with Shiners ,
    Bluegill, and Goldfish.

Bass are biting good in the grass right now on texas rigged soft plastics and on top water baits, including frogs.

20. Member
    Just drove to Fort Knox with my boat. Looking for any update to decide if Rough River is worth trying since I have no experience here? Thanks for any input! I tried Nolin today with horrible results.
    2003 Skeeter 250 ZX
    2003 Yamaha 250 VMAX HPDI

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12