Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rough River Lake Reports Posted Here

Please post you rreports for Rough river Lake here

Re: Rough River Lake Reports Posted Here (mikedaleo)

Rippinlip's report

9/2-9/4 9:42 PM 9/4/2005 Reply Edit

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 9/2 the water was very high and the color of creamed coffee. Debris everywhere. We had to wade in chest deep just to get to the ramp to the dock. It did clear up more as we ran further towards the dam. On 9/3 there was a noticeable difference in the water color as it began to clear and it was obvious that the level had dropped some overnight as the depth of our "wade" had decreased and there were water lines on the bank and the trees. By today it had cleared up even more.
    The advantage to this high water was that alot of vegetation, brush and trees were holding water. The disadvantage was that they were steadily lowering the water level.

We fished the first and last three hours of daylight on each day (except this afternoon). On 9/2 we managed about 20 fish during the six hours with about 8 keepers (nothing over 3#). These fish came real shallow on jigs, tubes and RC 1.5 in chartreause. Baitfish everywhere towards Peter Creek in fairly large schools.

On 9/3 the fishing slowed a little, however we managed about the same amount of fish with smaller size. We only had about four keepers during this six or seven hours (with nothing over 2#).

Today the fishing picked up again and about 15 fish were caught with three or four keepers.

Water temps between 80-83. Debris got better as the days passed and the water cleared and lowered. We did not find any big fish but the numbers were good but I caught enough 12" fish for a while. Most productive lures were road kill tubes, blue fleck worms, jigs and small cranks. We found NO topwater bite at all. I would recommend watching for floating logs for the next week although it is much better than two days ago. Stay safe.

Buck

3. Member

9-3/9-4
    Well on the first day,we caught 7 short fish.We went up into tules creek and stop in a few places on the way up.Caught fish on blue fleck and red shad worms and a couple on crankbaits.On the second day we headed the other way towards peter creek.We found a couple of spot that held a few fish,caught about 25 short fish. Caught on a series3 bandit, blue fleck worm, BB jigs.
    We stayed at the Pin Tree Inn,real nice place to stay
    Mike and Tammy are a couple of the nicest people you would ever want to meet.I did see the sticker you guys left on the front windows.

Re: Rough River Lake Reports Posted Here (kenny)

Tammy's Report for 9-12-2005

ROUGH RIVER LAKE, KY
    Fishing Report

September 12, 2005

Water Clarity: Clear

Water Temp: 80 - 82

Lake Level: Summer Pool

Bass: Fair, slow using spinnerbaits and plastic's

Crappie: Fair in 8 ft on minnows

Hybrid Striped Bass: Fair using large minnows

Bluegill: Fair on crickets

Catfish: Fair using chicken livers

Tammy Aldridge
    Pine Tree Inn ... Rough River Lake, KY
    pinetreeinnky@aol.com
    270-257-2771

September 14, 2005

Fished from daylight until 1:30. Water stained up-river and clears up closer to the dam. Early temps were 79080 warming up to 83 by afternoon. Some early fish came on topwater, tubes and jigs. The bite slowed once the sun got high.

Baitfish are balled up in schools near the mouths of bays. Some schools are already halfway back in the creeks.

Caught 9 fish, all short.

September 17th & 18th

Fished the IBL "National" Classic this weekend out of the State Ramp. Day 1 the topwater bite was good. Caught a 3.7 on a spook in about 1 foot of water. Water temps early were 78 degrees and water was stained in the Northfork area, but not nearly as muddy as it was up river. We came in with a limit just under 10 pounds.

Sunday was a different story. Water in the Northfork area had muddied up a bit and we had a fog delay. By the time we got to the area the sun was high. The day before was cloudy which prolonged the topwater bite, Sunday there were no topwater fish. Struggled just to get our slot fish. Slots were caught on tubes and jigs.

finished in third place

Rough River: Wed. Sept. 28, 2005

Fished from 5:30 AM Local Time until 3:00 PM local (Central Time)

Water temp 62 in the morning when I began and 78 at the end of the day.

Water clarity: Clear to slightly stained.

Water level appears to be down but I did not check the official lake levels.

Air temp 55 at launch and warmed to 87 or so by finish of day. It was very foggy early but turned out to be a hot sunny day once the fog lifted.slightly

My partner and I caught several fish today, mostly on a jig. Mostly largemouth but a few spots. Some were caught off of docks and some were caught on buzzbaits early. Although we missed several good fish. My partner caught the only 2 keepers we caught but one of them would have been close to 3 pounds. Crankbait bite did not happen for us. Fish were caught mostly in 3 to 12 feet of water.

Lots of schooling shad all day long, but didn't seem to help us catch any fish.

All in all had a great day!! We caught several fish and had a great time!

Tight Lines!

Re: Rough River Lake Reports Posted Here (Passion 4 Bassin)

ROUGH RIVER LAKE, KY
    Oct 3rd, 2005
    Water Clarity: Clear to cloudy in the creeks

Lake Level: seemed to be dropping from summer pool, didn't check the actual levels though.
    Bass: Fair, no action on spinnerbaits and topwater, caught a few on the crank and a few on jigs. All together me and Sticks11 caught 15 largemouth and spots. 3 keeper all together the best was pushing 3lbs, off a dock. Found a nice stretch on the river section and caught 2 keepers off the the same rock around 10am with a few slots in there. water temp estimated in the mid 70's, Sticks' temp gauge on his boat was not working, but since the air temp was blazing I had to take a dip to cool off. Good to be out on a monday!!!

Re: Rough River Lake Reports Posted Here (JSC25)

Welcome to the boards Jeff and thanks for the report

ROUGH RIVER LAKE, KY
    Fishing Report

October 4, 2005

Water Clarity: Clear

Water Temp: 74 - 75

Lake Level: 493.77

Bass: Fair, on plastic's and jigs

Crappie: Good, on minnows

Hybrid Striped Bass: Fair on spinnerbaits and trolling

Bluegill: No report

Catfish: Fair, cutbaits

Tammy Aldridge
    pinetreeinnky@aol.com
    270-257-2771

11. Member

10/06 & 10/07

10/06-Fished Rough River for half a day on Thursday and most of the day on Friday. Got on the water on Thursday at about 3 pm and fishing was incredible. We caught a ton of fish with a lot of keepers several being around three pounds. I would have limited out with about 11 or 12 pounds. We caught fish on tubes, jigs, lipless cranks, shallow cranks and spinnerbaits. Most of the fish came between 2-10 feet of water. There was a lot of baitfish around in fairly large schools. Water temps were 77/78 in the area we fished and the water had a little color to it.

10/07-Friday the fishing suffered a little bit but that was expected due to the huge cold front, however, we managed to have a better day than I would have thought. We each caught about 10 fish but not as many keepers. These fish came on tubes and lipless cranks. Our fish came in the same general area except the fish had moved out into a little deeper water except for the early morning bite that happened for us. These fish were real shallow. It rained lightly most of the day and was a lot colder with winds picking up and then settling down. The baitfish were still there but I noticed that they were in a lot tighter balls and there was very little surface action in contrast to Thursday. Water temps on Friday were 74/75.

They are dropping the lake and I think fishing is going to get real good real quick with some stable weather for a few days. I will be heading back in a few days. Good luck and stay safe.

Buck

Re: 10/06 & 10/07 (Rippinlip)

Good Report Buck

10/8: Launched at Daylight from the State Ramp and fished unsit 3:30pm. Early water surface temps were 64.5 degrees rising to 76 in the afternoon. No topwater action to speak of other than a slot fish that came on a buzzbait very shallow.

Most fish came deeper for us as well, some as far as 20 feet of the bank which included our big fish for the day which went 3.5 pounds. We totalled 8+ pounds on 4 fish.

The water near the dam is a strange color and smells nasty. Must be turning over?

Re: 10/06 & 10/07 (mikedaleo)

Tammy's Report 10-13

ROUGH RIVER LAKE, KY
    Fishing Report

October 13, 2005

Water Clarity: Slight stain

Water Temp: 70 -72

Lake Level: 492.81

Bass: Fair using crankbaits and plastic's

Crappie: Good on minnows 4 - 8 ft in brush

Hybrid Striped Bass: Fair trolling , crankbaits

Bluegill: No Report

Catfish: No Report

Tammy Aldridge
    pinetreeinnky@aol.com
    270-257-2771

14. Member

Re: Rough River Lake,KY 10/18/05

ROUGH RIVER LAKE, KY
    Fishing Report

October 18, 2005

Water Temp: 70

Lake Level: 492.04

Bass: Fair, using jigs and crankbits

Crappie: Good, in 4 ft on minnows and jigs

Hybrid Striped Bass: On points using crankbits and spinnerbaits

Bluegill: Slow

Catfish: Slow

Tammy Aldridge
    pinetreeinnky@aol.com
    270-257-2771
    Tammy Aldridge

15. Member

Re: Rough River Lake,KY 10/18/05 (Tammy@Pinetreeinn)

October 22-23

First off before I left I was told the creeks should be done turning over, the lake was being dropped, and a cold front was coming through. I thought this would be another day on the lake just getting my baits wet.

Saturday
    We had so many rod and reel problems I never got focused enough to get the water temp.
    Water was slightly stained.
    Had a nice wind blowing from the West
    Started off throwing a buzz bait, jerk bait, and black/blue jig until my partner caught a slot fish off a chartruese spinner bait. Switched to a White/Chartruese 1/2oz spinner with Silver willow leaf blade and smoke purple zoom trailer. Caught 3 slot fish working chunk rock by Camp Green Shores Rd.. Went further up where 259 crosses just past Tules Creek. The wind was really coming across the pilings so I got on the North side of the pilings and tossed across the wind and let my spinner bait sink a little and pulled it right by the piling and caught one slot fish almost 15". I got on the east side of the pilings and started tossing a silver rattle trap and pulled 2 more off that same piling just under 15". Went over to the other piling and pulled 2 more just under 15" off the pilings. Tried a purple worm and a jig hoping to get something bigger with no luck. We hit a few other spots on the way back to George Branch and caught a few more small fish throwing spinners. Caught a decent keeper on the point that extends out at George branch. Worked this point from every direction but I think the fishing had slowed down and the wind was really picking up at this point. Decided to head in to take a nap. Caught around 12-15 fish

Sunday morning was a little cooler and had a cool rain off and on. Decided to hit the southern end of the Lake. Tried a zara spook without any luck working main points. I caught 2 slot fish and 1 close to 2 lbs. Slot fish where on a white spinner with colorado blade 1/4oz. Switched to stan sloan white/chartruese 3/8oz with yellow painted willow leaf blade and small white painted colorado blade. Caught the one around 2 lbs just off the shore line. Fishing seemed to die down around 10am. We worked a lot of the docks that where still under water without any luck.

http://www.billymarlin.net
    \"If at first you don\'t succeed, then skydiving definitely isn\'t for you!\"

16. Member

Re: Rough River Lake,KY 10/18/05 (fishingmarlin)

Thanks for the report. I will be down there the next two weekends and will report.

Buck

17. Member

Fishing Report Rough River Lake,KY 10/25/05

ROUGH RIVER LAKE, KY
    Fishing Report

October 25, 2005

Water Temp: 69 - 70

Lake Level: 489.14

Bass: Fair using crankbaits and topwater baits

Crappie: Fair in 1 - 4 feet using minnows and jigs

Hybrid Striped Bass: Slow trolling and using crankbaits

Bluegill: Slow

Catfish: Slow

Tammy Aldridge
    pinetreeinnky@aol.com
    270-257-2771
    Tammy Aldridge

18. Member

Re: Fishing Report Rough River Lake,KY 11/1/05 (Tammy@Pinetreeinn)

ROUGH RIVER LAKE, KY
    Fishing Report

November 1, 2005

Water Temp: 65

Lake Level: 486.01

Bass: Fair on plastic's and jigs

Crappie: Fair 1 - 4 ft on minnows and jigs

Hybrid Striped Bass: Fair using crankbaits and spinnerbaits

Bluegill: No Report

Catfish: Fair on cutbaits

Tammy Aldridge
    pinetreeinnky@aol.com
    270-257-2771
    Tammy Aldridge

Re: Fishing Report Rough River Lake,KY 11/1/05 (Tammy@Pinetreeinn)

Rough River Lake November 5th & 6th

Water Temps a.m. 57.4 p.m. 64.1

Lake is dropping and water is stained to very stained

Productive lures were crankbaits and spinnerbaits. Some topwater fish were caught early.

The key for us was to find the windiest point or bank and work it thoroughly. Fish were in 0-6 feet.

We weighed 3 fish per day but some guys obviously found them. 31 pounds to win.

20. Member

Re: Fishing Report Rough River Lake,KY 11/1/05 (mikedaleo)

Fished there this past week end in a small tourney. Best bait was live crawfish and lake shiners. We didn't get the "Smallest Sack Award" , Thank Goodnes.

But when those didn't work we were catching them on a variety of lures : Spinnerbaits slow rolled, drop shotting small worms, smoke/purple tube. Fish were scattered for us some were deep and yet some were real shallow. Didn't matter where we went we caught fish. Unfortunitly most of our fish were slot fish. I don't know what the record is for the number of times you can call your slot fish but we did ours quite few. Water level seemed to be raising about a foot or 2 each day.

Sunday caught all my fish on a jerk bait worked real slow just twiching it. Same thing fish were out on points and in the back of creeks.

It was a good weekend just not many big ones for us but man we caught a lot of slot fish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast