Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member

Re: Barren River Lake Reports Posted Here (buzzking2001)

Is that Donnie Keeton in the picture? I know that dude.

2. Member

Re: Barren River Lake Reports Posted Here (TR 196 KY)

yea thats D Keeton, the KBF was nice enough to host our weigh in for us
    Art Carney - Licking the mops at Porcini's since 2009.

Main lake surface temp 42-49 today. Caught fish on 45 degree channel banks adjacent to spawning coves and flats. Fish holding in 5-15' depending on sun/surface temp. Best bite before noon on sunny banks. Jigs and crawfish pattern small cranks.

4. Member

Re: Barren River Lake Reports Posted Here (Daniel)

Spent sat and sun (5/19-5/20) on the lake. Lake level -8.2 ft summer pool, temp 72-76, clarity 5 ft main lake, 2' river. Started saturday a little late, around 11 am went to walnut to check for a flippin bite, found the shad spawning like crazy. Got on a decent flipping bite caught 5 or 6 b/w 12-17 inches, three keeps, no bigs, time to move out and look for mammas. Go to favorite river drop, catch 3 shorts in 4 cast on a rig, still no mammas, go to second drop to find my hump is out of water but found a nice school of fish up chasing NUMEROUS schools of shad on the flat behind the hump, caught plenty of fish but no size. Headed on up the river to browns ford, no water on the good stuff, back down river we go. Went back and caught some more flippin on the shad deal and called it a day at dusk, had one have swirl on a sammy but no top action to speak of. Ended the day with somewhere b/w 20-30 fish and 10-12 keepers. Sunday start at daybreak, run up to walnut to let my non catch some fish for the UK team tourney he was in......shad spawn over, a few were left but not much, spent an hour in there, one bite and left. Up river to drop #1, nothing, up river to schooling hump, nothing. Back down lake all the way to NEW 31 bridge to fish rip rap, managed to catch my tenth channel cat for the two day trip, forgot to mention that, caught 10 cats b/w 2-10 lbs around the shad spawns on jigs and shakey heads. But no bass on new 31, over to old 31 road bed, top in 5 ft with good drops on both sides, catch some hybrids cranking the drops, catch one 16" on top of the RB on a Shakey head, catch another 17" on the downriver drop on a rig, action slows, head to narrows. No action behind marina, fish bluff wall and catch some shorts on SH. Over to the creeks just up creek from narrows, more dinks on bluff walls, head back down to old 31 bridge and manage 2 more keeps on the drops and some more shorts up on top. STILL no biggies. Talked to many anglers, reporting biggest catches on bluff walls in 20+ water. Until next time......

5. Member

May 27, 2007, from 5:30 AM till 4 PM.
    Water temp was 76 to 84
    In order of how I caught them threw the day.
    Buzz Bait
    Crank Bait
    Worm w/ .25 weight
    C rig.

Lost count of how many I caught, best was around 3# all where keepers.
    Buzz bait was the ticket WAY up in the Peters Creek, early around grass.
    Some of the bass up in Peters where as wide as they where long from feeding on the shad. Around 10 Am that bite died, and went out to main lake points and bluff walls.

2011-721ProXp/250SHO

6. Member

Re: Barren River Lake Reports Posted Here (EdDavisKY)

Spent two more days on barren June 2nd and 3rd. Water temp 79-82, still 8 foot low, don't look like we are gonna make summer pool this year . Saturday, pulled the usual 10 a.m. launch thanks to another LONG friday night. Cruised up to skaggs creek looking for some new drops and brushpiles, manage a couple small keepers in skaggs on flat points with the channel near by, all on c-rig. Found a few BPs up near the mouth of beaver, some small fish on jigs in them. Pull out to the main lake points and drops and immediately increase the size of fish, nothing to write home about but good solid keeps, most on steep points in the 15' range, a few on the flat points but nothing consistent. Run up the river to check a few spots, plenty of fish there to be had but no size, c-rig the bait for numbers, jig the bait for size. Tourney day sunday, run up to walnut to run a buzzbait for a few minutes, catch one keeper and two dinks on the front rip-rap, partner misses a nice blowup on a pop-r. Pull out to first drop, nothing, run on up river, pull up on second drop, 5 casts, two slots, two shorts, then slowed, caught another dink and left, run on up river to a flat thats holding bait fish, catch a few slots running a bandit footloose in 2' of water, no size, back down lake to drop# 2, nice 2.5 lber on a rig. Checked the OLD 31 bridge since I shook a few off there sat. and NOTHING, no dice, 45 minutes no bites. Figured time to go for broke, spent rest of the day fishing drops and points b/w hogsback and the narrows, caught one more decent 2lber and one about 4, both on jig. Gameplan went okay for the fish I was on, river=numbers main lake=bigger but fewer bites. The river and the upper parts of skaggs and peter just haven't produced any nice fish for me this year, I figure with the low water the better fish just never went up as far as they usually do to spawn. I think this concludes my bi-weekly trips to barren until fall or they get some water, no more tourneys up there this year so I think I'll stick to the twins the rest of the year.

A Perfect Storm at Barren

Well I finally made my first trip this year to Barren. I normally only fish that lake summer/fall but due to the low water conditions I was beginning to think that I may have to wait a while because my favorite areas are unreachable. Barren got some rain in the middle of last week plus some over the weekend so I decide my shallow water spots may be ready to try. Everybody knows the main lake fish have went deep but I need current to fish my favorite shallow spots...anyway on with the report.

I unload 15 minutes before daylight and don't even start the boat. Put the trolling motor down and head downstream to Glover and Trace Creek. Within a couple cast a nice keeper rolls my buzzbait but does not hook up. A couple more cast and same thing. Then a light goes off in my head and says you need to slow down. Shad are up and fish are here so I start slow rolling the buzzer and within a couple hours I have scraped out a small limit. Nothing special but one right after another. I have no idea what kind of wild grass has took over the flats but the small keepers are there if you have shad No shad No fish. Around 9 am the sun comes out so I switch over to the spinner bait with about the same results. Same small keepers but just few and far between on the blade. Around dinner I decide it is time for a change of pace. I run /mostly idle upstream until I find some current and get out the flippin stick and go to work.

Here is where it gets interesting...I found one bank STACKED. Buy far the most fish I have ever caught in a 75 yard stretch. I culled all five of my small keepers within 1 hour on this bank with 3 plus pound fish. I proceed upstream farther and catch 3 more fish but nothing like the bank I just left. I head back to my honey hole and catch 2 more 3 plus fish and one 4 plus fish. I am in shock at what this bank has put out in a two hour period.

The good man above was looking out for me today. The whole time I am on my hot bank I can hear a storm brewing in the distance. I keep my eyes on the clouds thinking it is going to go around me and the biggest part did. Problem was the wind, clouds and lightning was headed towards the ramp/truck and I am upstream in skinny water and can not make a run for the ramp even if I wanted to. Then all of a sudden the wind shifts and the storm heads my way. I am still catching fish but lightning gets my attention first. I tie up to the bank and find out that a 230# man can fit under my console. After a few minutes it blew over and I start back fishing. I did manage to catch one or two more but I decided that it was time to change into the dry clothes I keep stored in the boat and head in.

Numbers for the day 7 at 3 pounds or more 1 at a solid 4 or more and I lost count of the 12-17" fish. Best 5 my guess would be 18 pounds or more. I never did get the big bite but the running average was awesome.

I had planned on going back again tomorrow but the heavy rain that was upstream from me will wash out my bank. I need current to make that bank good again but not yellow water. The water as you go across the bridge at Rohden Creek was starting to run in fast and yellow only two hours after the storm started. I do not think it will affect the main lake because I was way upstream. Ed told me once that I go so far upstream that it is not even on the map

8. Member

Re: Barren River Lake Reports Posted Here (JR19)

Any recent info would be great I was going to go Friday morning if they were biting.

9. Member

was reading some old reports. i have not wieghed in a fish in the last 4 tournaments on barren, however im new to sport fishing. can you tell me what it means by saying the fish were way down the creek?, does that mean when you look at a lake map they are at the northern shallow water or the southern part of the map. any ideas or help would be great. i have been fishing points, drops in the big water (dam area) also fished rip rap at the state dock with spinner bait and crank. nothing bites. am i doing something wrong for barren? water temp is 84 on surface. i figured deeper water areas. any ideas would help since you are use to fishing barren. thanks

10. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar

Re: Barren River Lake Reports Posted Here (deception)

If I was talking about way down a creek it would be a location towards the mouth of the creek where the creek arm branches off from the main lake...The head of a creek would be up where a creek starts out.

Example...the head of Skaggs is way above Oil Well Road. That is unreachable buy boat but above that is where Skaggs starts out as a small stream then gets bigger as you head down stream with the current. At summer pool with a little work/luck/know where you are going you can get a normal size boat to within 1/2 mile of The Mathews Mill Bridge.

When people who fish from a boat refer about fishing in the head of a creek most everybody is talking about the area within 1-2 miles of the upper most place that you can take a boat. It may not be the True head water but still referred to as the head of a creek. Head water is actually where a creek starts out as a small branch just a few inches deep... however most people that fish from a boat refer to the head of a creek a place up creek that you can no longer go any farther without hitting the bottom of your boat on the creek bottom.

Close to the Narrows is the mouth of Skaggs...Coon Creek is up Skaggs... 31 E bridge is farther up Skaggs..the log jam is way up Skaggs...the riffle 1/2 mile before you get to Mathews Mill Bridge is way the hell up Skaggs.

If you are traveling up stream you are going against the current...down stream will be going with the current. The Dam will always be the lowest point on the main lake...everything else will be upstream from the dam...Example Peter Creek, Walnut Creek, Canoe Creek and Dry Creek are all above the Dam on the Main River channel.

Sorry for such a long reply...hopefully the way I explained it did not confuse you

11. Member

Always called it up yonder or down yonder
    Guess it's the hillbilly part of me.

12. Member

Re: Barren River Lake Reports Posted Here (SBN)

Fishing still decent. Good bass coming off rock walls on jigs and in the shallows on lipless cranks.

13. Member

Re: Barren River Lake Reports Posted Here (Mike Daleo)

Went fishin march 16 and 17, the water was still at winter pool, but they were holding starting the 15th. We caught 42 bass, most were slots or smaller with the exception of two keepers, and a kentucky. Water temp was anywhere from the low 50's in the morning to 64 in a couple coves in the afternoon. Bass were starting to move shallow and biting on shallow running crankbaits, and jerkbaits. It was a great cure for cabin fever.

14. Member

Re: Barren River Lake Reports Posted Here (87hydrasports)

Went to Barren yesterday and did decnet. Fishing is starting to really pick up. Had a couple of good fish on shad raps on bank transitions. Water is stained on main lake and clearing up in the back of the creeks (as far as you can get anyway) and anywhere from 52-56 degress.

Caught a few hybrids on the Peters Creek road bed when fishing for bass. Also had a couple nice ones in the coves across from the Narrows marina.

Sat Jun 12, 2010.

Our club put in at Narrows, one lane no turn around as lake is still 16' over SP. Not too crowded as I heard state ramp was now open.

Fishing was very good on secondary points with soft plastics. I did catch a keeper on spinnerbait first thing but never did get another strike on spinner the rest of the day. Tried main points with no bites. Once I left the secondary points the bite was non existent.

Every member of our club weighed in a 3lb + fish some small mouth also. Other club at same ramp had good results. It was hotter than %&@*!!

Good fishing!!

2004 Skeeter SX190 & 97 Stratos 201 FS
    2004 Yamaha 150 VMAX & 97 200HP Venom
    Georgetown, In

USCG Retired

Was out on Barren today and went out of the narrows. The water has been drained down to normal levels and the turn around was open. Fished secondary points with no luck most came off main points fishing with shallow cranks in the AM and was using DD22 by 11:00.

Re: Barren River Lake Reports Posted Here (Rick1067)

Any new updates on Barren?

Im headed that way in a couple weeks and haven't fished there before.

Iv'e been hearing that the Bass are in the fall feeding pattern and are plentiful

Thanks,
    Charlie (NKY_TRITON)

Modified by NKY_TRITON at 2:18 AM 10/14/2011

18. Member

Re: Barren River Lake Reports Posted Here (NKY_TRITON)

Fished Barren on Sunday. Water was all different colors depending on were you went. Surface temps ranged from 62 to 70 during the day. Caught 7-8 keepers cranking. Lake was reported at 533.

19. Member
    Has anyone been on Barren lately? It has been a few weeks since I was out there.

20. Member
    Reviving this thread from the depths....anyone have a current water condition report (temp, clarity in particular)? Fishing report would be bonus but not necessary. I am heading to fish BRL for the first time with my 9 y/o son the last week of March so I'm trying to monitor conditions and see if i can learn something about this lake before I get there.
    2022 Ranger z518 / 2022 Merc Pro XS 200 serial # 3B137559

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123