Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Kentucky Bass Club/ IN/KY Rally Moderator

Re: Barren River Lake Reports Posted Here (Passion 4 Bassin)

Fished a club tourney yesterday 10-22-05. Caught fish on just about everything. Water was slightly stained around 68 degrees, cold over cast about 1/2 the day and did I say windy. Caught fish on buzzbaits, spinner baits, crankbaits and plastics. Caught most of our fish in the back 1/2 of the creeks. Also caught one that culled another from under a school of shad( always tried that technique with a rattle trap but had never worked until now). Lost a good 3-4 on a buzzbait that hit about 5 feet from the boat . Tried to lead it around until my partner got the net but one jump and it was gone. Was afraid to set the hook that close figured I would snap it right off. We came in 2nd and got big fish. Needless to say we would have won if would have had that other fish.

Modified by Joe Skeeter at 10:01 AM 10/24/2005

Re: Barren River Lake Reports Posted Here (Joe Skeeter)

sounded like a good day...

3. Member

Re: Barren River Lake Reports Posted Here (JSC25)

Nov. 5, '04
    Cloudy to partly cloudy wind was blowing out of the S at 10 -15 MPH with gusts to 25 MPH.
    Water Pee Green to Stained

Fished from 7 am to noon

Caught two nice LM that would not even fit on my Golden rule ( which is 18" Long)
    Weighted one on my little Rapala Dig scale and did not even weight 3 lbs....are they that far off OR these fish are skinny. They both where in the shape my SM of last month.

Caught them on a white spinnerbait, on wind blown banks, in less than 5 ft of water.

2011-721ProXp/250SHO

Re: Barren River Lake Reports Posted Here (EdDavisKY)

Good job Ed, nice report

Re: Barren River Lake Reports Posted Here (mikedaleo)

Fished today from 0800 to 1400. Water temp 44-46. Chalky green in color on main lake and murky up creek/river arms. Caught 5 fish with 2 over 15", 14" smallie, and 13" ky and one dink. The best 4 were about 7 lbs. One one a tube, the rest on a crank. All in about 8' water near or on channel edge. The lake is about 4' above winter pool.

Barren River: Wed. March 29, 2006

Fished from 10:30 AM Local Time until about 4:30 PM local Time

Water temp 52 in the morning when I began and 57 when I finished fishing in the afternoon.

Water clarity: Clear to slightly stained.....nice color!

Water level 12 feet above winter pool but still way below summer pool.

Air temp at launch was in the low 50's and warmed to mid 60's or so by end of the day. Beautiful day...got some sun!

I fished with my son JT and we did NOT catch a fish. I got bit 3 times late in the day and missed them all. I was pitching a jig or a worm and should have had at least one, but the fish prevailed! Bites came in 3 to 4 feet of water in Peter Creek which had quite a bit of color.

Hopefully the lake will turn on this coming week as I have Saturday and a Sunday Tourney next weekend.

Tight Lines!

7. Member

Re: Barren River Lake Reports Posted Here

they should be hitting some spinnerbaits carolina rigs and soft jerkworms or flukes in April. Thats my experience in the past anyway, if I can't get bit on the pitchin bite.

Re: Barren River Lake Reports Posted Here (DaveR)

Sunday April 9th. Barren was 13ft below summer pool. It was on fire! It took 24lbs to win the Toyota tournament. 6 fish limit .1st place was 24lbs+. 2nd place 21+lbs.3rd place 21+lbs. 4th place 20lbs .5th place 19lbs. Big fish 6.01 I only had 12lbs and a 5lb big fish a didn't get a sniff of a check.

Allison XB21 2+2 with Mercury 300R

Re: Barren River Lake Reports Posted Here (Dark Allison)

Awesome weights! Thanks for the report!

10. Member

Sat. 5/06/06 Fished from around 5:30 AM till around 3:30 PM.
    Water is on the rise and is Clear near the Dam to Pea Green at the narrows.
    Stayed on the main lake all day....lost count of how many I caught but 7 where keepers, with the largest being close to 4 # down near the dam on a spinnerbait.
    Lost a couple of good ones in the morning. Water temp started out around 64 deg. and by afternoon was in the lower to mid 70's. All fish I caught showed no signs of spawning, feel they are still fatting up. I did not go up any farther than the Narrows and Stayed on the main lake at the dam. But dam figures no Rally/T and I catch over a limit of keepers All my keepers where either caught on a spinnerbait or a tube

2011-721ProXp/250SHO

11. Member

Re: Barren River Lake Reports Posted Here (EdDavisKY)

That's a great day..

Re: Barren River Lake Reports Posted Here (CincyBas)

Just got back from 3 days at barren. First day I got there I knew there were several tournament fisherman pre-fishing for the numerous tournaments this weekend so I decided it would be best to fish deep. I knew the shallow water fish would be warn out. Began fishing main lake points with topwater that morn-15 min before daylight. No action at all so I decided to hit the drops. (keep in mind this was pre fishing, I wasnt trying to catch a ton of fish) 1st drop-boated 2 keepers 1 around 3lbs 1 around 4, both on 1/2 oz. jig in 25 feet of water around some brush. 2nd drop-middle of lake-boated 2 keepers 1 2 1/2 and 1 around 3 caught on same bait. 3rd drop- roadbed- 1 fish around 3lbs on drop shot. decided to run up river a little ways and try some deep cover in the channel. 1st spot boated 1 around 3 1/2 on rig in 25+ feet of water. Decided I had found enough for one day and decided to go in. 2nd day of practice was devoted to the river, 1st thing I ran about 5 miles above the blown out bridge since I knew most would be scared to run that far up. Began flipping with little success, boated 3 keeps that were very scattered out and all were only 15 inchers. On the way out of the river I was about 2 miles from the Austin ramp I noticed the channel dropped from 16ft to 20 and decided to give it a look. I graphed some huge piece of cover and decided to fish it to see what it was. Slung the D20 out to search the spot out. As it reached its max depth I hit what felt to be a large laydown and as soon as it got over the other side I stopped it as it was murdered. Got the fish in- about 4lbs -threw back to same spot- another 2 1/2lber made me decide to save the fish for tx day. Hit one more spot which was a channel drop where I knew was some cover 3rd cast I caught the biggest fish Ive ever caught out of barren. Im bad at guessing when they are over 5 but I know it was somewhere in between 6 and 7. I will post the pic of it later. Caught on rig in 25-30 ft. Went in for the day. Tx day came 1st spot only got 1 keep, 2nd 1 keep. Ran to best spot in river and NEVER TOOK A HIT. I was confused so I sat for a minute and just thoguht about what was going on. Decided to run all the way back down lake to my 1st spot and camp out. Got there fished for an hour with only 1 bite, all of a sudded someone hit the switch and it was hammer time. Caught fish after fish untill we culled the 2 smallest keeps out. I lost one right at the boat which was 4-5lbs. partner had one to the boat same size-had the net under her then she tailwalked out and went straight down and broke his line. Ended up with almost 14lbs and lost the tx by 1lb. Could have done better but I was still happy cause it was an awesome 3 days on barren. Most likely the best trip Ive ever had there. Cant wait to go back!

13. Member

Re: Barren River Lake Reports Posted Here (flippindrew)

Drews report is right on, find the channel bends with brush on them and you will find the fish, this weekend was only my second trip to barren ever and had almost 16 lbs on sunday, WHAT A LAKE, cant wait to go back, and I will get the pics from the event up on here as soon as someone tells me how to post pics here

Art Carney - Licking the mops at Porcini's since 2009.

Nice report and you and Kyle both had an AWESOME Barron trip!!

Congrats!!

Re: Barren River Lake Reports Posted Here (Passion 4 Bassin)

Great Reports guys, thanks for the info!

No prob! Kyle send the pics to me and I will post them. Dang boy! Learn how to use that comp! lol.

17. Member

Here's flippindrew's pig from the trip along with our nice little limit

Art Carney - Licking the mops at Porcini's since 2009.

Re: Barren River Lake Reports Posted Here (buzzking2001)

looks like my fish messed itself a little bit.

Fished last night until a couple hours after light. Caught some decent fish. 6 or 7 keepers and a few slots. Caught on main lake points from 8' to 18' deep. Texas rigged plastics mainly.

Re: Barren River Lake Reports Posted Here (Daniel)

Fished last night from about 1030pm until 630am. Caught several fish. 6 decent keepers. A couple were nice smallies. Fish still on main lake points and drops. Texas rigged baby pacacraws and 10" worms. Caught 4 or 5 slots and several dinks too. Water was 88-89 degrees

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast