Newton Lake, Jasper Co

Please include as much info as possible.

Date/Time
    Weather conditions
    Depth
    Water temp
    Topograhic details (points, drop-offs, humps, etc)
    Type of cover
    Water conditions

Steel City Bassmasters - Granite City, Illinois

2. Member

Re: Newton Lake, Jasper Co (Rudeman)

Date/Time - Feb 18, 19, 20. 7am-6:30pm each day

Weather conditions - 18th-mostly sunny, 19th-sunny, blue-bird, overcast late afternoon, 20th-overcast

Depth - 5-12'

Water temp - 61-66 warm arm

Topograhic details (points, drop-offs, humps, etc) - Fished drops and ledges, focused on small points

Type of cover - Fish were holding to wood and weedy dropoffs

Water conditions - slightly muddy, vis approx 10-12"

Surely uncharacteristic of Newton. We went out with Tab on Thursday as a birthday gift for my brother so he could put us on some fish for the next couple days. It was a terribly slow morning other than a whopping 5lb 13oz bass caught off some wood in a small pocket. After lunch it was no better until about 4pm when Tab boated a 4lb, 5lb+, and 6lb+ fish within a 2 hour span. I've always been convinced the jig-n-pig is a big fish bait, but he certainly made a statement. A superb fisherman, but my brother and I had boated about 6 fish between the two of us, missing an additional 2 for the entire day. Tab definitely put us on the fish, but with the conditions, it was difficult to get a bite.

Friday was no different. In fact, Friday was downright pathetic. With success in quality the previous day, we thought it appropriate to do more of the same - focus on wood, small points, weedy ledges, and stay above the 60 degree water. We used more of, and variations of the previous day, soft plastics, jigs, cranks, spinnerbaits. With the bright sun, no wind, and blue-bird skies, it was basically the perfect storm for little to no fish. We broke for a half hour lunch on the water, but were in the boat with lines wet for almost 12 hours. 1 fish on the day at 2.5 lbs.

Saturday was better conditions-wise at 35 degrees at launch, overcast skies. We began with some big laydowns pitching jigs and texas-riggged plastics. Immediately boated two fish at 2lbs thinking today would be different. A fish here, a fish there, big fish just over 3lbs and I don't even think it was 17". Saturday we boated 6 fish with a 2lb average. Certainly not a bad 6, but when fishing 12 hours with little or nothing to show, especially after hyping the lake up from the previous year, let's just say it was a long 4.5 hour drive back

What to note: Even with the conditions, my brother and I were relentless with what we used. In lower light conditions we used darker colors for greater contrast as opposed to using more natural colors in high light. We covered the entire strike zone with various attacks: jigs, swim jigs, spinnerbaits, plastics, crankbaits, jerkbaits, spooks, even buzzbaits. We varied our retrieves, slowed presentations, bumped off cover for reaction. The only thing I think we could've used was a shakey-head at the laydowns, but given the circumstances, I highly doubt that would've made an impact. Needless to say it was an exhausting trip with not much to show. Apparently everyone we talked to was having similar, or worse luck than us. I'm hoping things will change when I re-visit the lake in early March. Take home lesson - no matter how much knowledge you have, past experience, familiarity with conditions, and determination to catch fish, sometimes they just don't want to bite. Would I have done it all over again......absolutely.

Stay tuned for the March report.

Modified by purduephigam at 8:48 AM 1/29/2011

3. Member

Date/Time-Monday 3/1/10 8:00-4:00

Weather conditions-Overcast all day, temps in high 30's with north wind ~10 mph

Depth-Fish were sitting within 5 ft of the bank

Water temp-57 at the ramp, 68 up quite aways in the hot water arm, caught most from 62-65

Topograhic details (points, drop-offs, humps, etc)-Most fish came off of points and 30 yards back, didn't hardly get a bite in the back of the pockets.

Type of cover-Most fish were holding at the edge of a row of cattails/reeds/whatever you call them, on the southeast bank in a pocket. You could almost call your shot on those.

Water conditions-I would call it stained to slightly muddy, guessing visibility at about 1-1.5 ft.

Caught about 15 fish all day, biggest was 20 in. Most fish were 14-17 in. Used a wacky rigged senko (green pumpkin) most of the day to boat our fish. Caught a couple on spinnerbait, but didn't seem like they wanted to chase a bait. Seriously, find a cove/pocket with cattails on the southeast side, throw that wacky rig up there, and you could almost guarantee a fish off of the edge. Closest thing to a pattern I've put together in awhile

4. Member

Re: Newton Lake, Jasper Co (dough4200)

I fished Newton this past Thursday and Friday morning Apr 22,23. My temp was not working. Air temps were in low 70's in the day Thurs. and on Friday morning till 12pm skys were super cloudy(between storms) and maybe reached in low 70's again. Thursday morning at day brakI caught about 6 dinks fishing weeds around ramp pennisula with a topwater popr. Fishing was bad all day with maybe3/4 small fish caught till 2 pm with a carolina worm.I pitched, rigged, jigged beavered etc. I took a break for 3 hours and came back at 6 for 2 hours. I could not even catch them at discharge. 2 more fish caught on topwaters. Friday was another slow day, no topwater fish or wacky fish just maybe 5 -14inchers on carolina rig. This Lake is not what it use to be.I use to have 30/40 fish days a few years ago in these post spawn days. 3 trip there this year, 3rd bad trip.I even fished 1 day with a 2 time tournament winner this year and we got 7 fish between us all day in late March.

5. Banned

Had some friends fish Newton last Wed/Thursday 6/2,6/3. The weather was overcast with some rain. Water Temp in low 80's, caught 20 quality fish 3 lbs plus over 2 days. Fish were caught on frogs in submerged grass.

6. Member

Re: Newton Lake, Jasper Co (cougarftd)

November 13-14 13th driving rain 35 degrees 30 mph wind over 20 bass shallow diving crankbaits 2' in length then 1/2 oz watermelon jig after the crank bait bite quit. bass driving shad up in to the coves

Sun bluebird skys calm 50+ degrees we dropped out deep big cranks 8# fluor slow crank stop and go killed it it on the pause dd22----dt16 less quantity sun but larger Bass.

7. 99 Triton TR-17dc Merc115 Crazy D's Avatar

Re: Newton Lake, Jasper Co (stratosjoe)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by stratosjoe &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">November 13-14 13th driving rain 35 degrees 30 mph wind over 20 bass <u>shallow diving crankbaits 2' in length </u>then 1/2 oz watermelon jig after the crank bait bite quit. bass driving shad up in to the coves

Sun bluebird skys calm 50+ degrees we dropped out deep big cranks 8# fluor slow crank stop and go killed it it on the pause dd22----dt16 less quantity sun but larger Bass.</td></tr></table>

8. Member

Re: Newton Lake, Jasper Co (Crazy D)

Crazy Am I missing something oh now I see it . well 2' bass baits are needed Newton has biggg bass

Modified by stratosjoe at 6:16 PM 11/24/2010

9. Member

Hit Newton again Sat 15th of January
    Air temp 17-33
    started at 7am fished till 2:30
    water kinda murky, down a lttle also . water temp was from 52 at the ramp to 57 right in the hot water discharge with the plant running kinda weird.
    wind out of the ssw at first then swung around to the nnw by 1:00 20 mph gusts
    COLD
    Caught atotal of 12 fish lm and a couple big white bass
    hitting small lc 1.5 cranks and small jigs no trailer fished very slow
    A tournament was going on 10-14 boats maybe more.
    I don't think anyone did very good from all the movement
    Even with the temps and the fact we caught no keepers we had a good time, got to stretch my string at 60 you enjoy every trip more than ever b4

10. Member

A tad delayed, but I figure I should start writing more reports, and this may be therapeutic as I am plagued with cabin fever....

Date/Time: March 19, 19, 20, 2010

Weather conditions: 1st day overcast, 2nd day rain/driving rain, 3rd day
    overcast/drizzle

Depth: 3-12'

Water temp: 65 warm arm

Topograhic details (points, drop-offs, humps, etc): weedy ledges, secondary points

Type of cover: n/a

Water conditions: visibility 18"

Much better than the previous outing in February. Me and uicdent11 were excited to hit the water the next few days. First day set the tone as we boated approx 15 keepers and a handful of short fish. Conditions seemed to be right for decent fishing. The next day was cut short by rain (even with gortex). We got about 6.5 hours of fishing in before our hands froze solid. In that span we boated the same number of keeper fish, including this 6 1/4lb sow. They were incredibly aggressive at the banks and fell victim to our soft plastics. The third day, my brother joined us and now gave me reason to think he might actually curse the lake. 8hrs of fishing and we boated around 8 fish, and they were borderline-keepers at best. My brother of course skunked again like we were in February. Great little weekend. Looking forward to the now annual Newton trip late in March - now with a new boat and side imaging! Keep the reports coming.

11. Member

Re: Newton Lake, Jasper Co (purduephigam)

Hit Newton with my wife sat the 9th 4am till noon. caught dinks plus 2 keepers dinks on crankbaits of points south end on u then caught two keepers on a carolina rig in 18-22' water with a hematoma sweet beaver with a 5' leader and sprayed with bang. left at noon tooooo hot for me.

water temps 88 on cold to 96 on hot keepers from 88 in 18-22'
    wind 3-5mph from sse clear skies no clouds at all baro 29 + steady
    water a little off color but about standard for july.

12. Member

Hit Newton again last weekend. 3 mph wsw wind water temps sat from 53-60 water at full pool slightly murky sat I fished about 2 hours lost one caught 3 one 19 1/2 " about 5 .3 if scale right a real toad on blk/blu jig in 4-7' water also crankbaits sun caught 9 no keepers but good fish.

I stayed Sat night at Outdoor Sportsmans Lodge owned by Tab and Vicki Walker beautiful place all knotty pine, gas fireplace, fish mounts as well as deer everywhere all new and spotless. Less than 5 minutes to the ramp great folks tryem out you won't regret it

13. Banned
    IL >Tinley Park & Shawnee N.F. Lakes Explorer. Help..
    I stay in Effingham. I don't like all the B.S. Tab saids about the fishing. Last time I was there he said they wacked the bass, I caught the guy leaving and he said they caught 8 fish in 11 hours with the biggest at almost #3. When he said he catches keepers, his keeper is 16 inches instead of the lakelimit-18 inches.

14. Member
    How far away is Effingham? If I remmber right it's like $125 night at the lodge. Effingham I'm hoping is only 20 min or so away?

15. Member
    Fished thursday ,fri and 1/2 day sa tcaught 17-32-12 the majority on c/r with a 5" fluke or a d/s with a 4" big bite swimbait both in white . Bass chasing shad but not too far back in coves yet. Lot of guys said topwater but I couldn't get a rise from anything. Ended with a keeper each day biggest about 21"-22 " most far smaller alot of fun as always. (stickem & releasem)

Fished tx Saturday. Very windy but air temp was around 60 deg. I stayed on the cold side. Water was 55 deg. Found lots of shad out on the main lake but couldn't get a big bite. Only 1 guy had any keepers, he had 2, and he caught them both deep. Around 18-20'. I tried my deep water spot, but my anchor wouldn't hold. Couldn't stay on the spot.
    Would you like to see my dinger?

17. Member
    fished 7-8-9- real small bass one almost 18 on thursday on a jig rest dinks fun but no toads windy ,good color fished mainly hot

18. Member
    Fished newton Fri and sat 12-13 Fri chilly warmest water I found was 63 degrees water was pretty buddy the farther you went up the hot arm. Found fish in pretty large groups on ledges or ends of points tried a c/r nothing then a heavy jig nothng as well. Started pitching a green pumpkin sweet beaver with the tail dipped in chartreuce sprayed with garlic bang. Caught ten bass one 17 3\4 one 17 the rest smaller all in all I was pretty happy. saturday two tourneys going on went clear up the warm arm started throwing c/r caught five the biggest 17" couple little smaller and two Dink's. Was going to hit points on way back pretty much all points were covered so called it a day bout noon