Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Report's For The Altimaha River

Post Your Altamaha River Report's In This Thread .

2. Banned

Re: Report's For The Altimaha River (Tr21Pd)

Had a club tourn out of Altamaha Park yesterday 12/10/05, ten boats and lots of enthusiasm despite the chilly start. Water was pretty high, in the woods in some areas, and moving pretty good on the outgoing tide. Most everyone caught fish but for the most part it was tough. 1st pace was right around 7 lbs. Some fish were caught on senko's thrown up against the cypress trees, while others were caught on soft plastics and crankbaits out on the channel drop offs.

3. Member

Re: Report's For The Altimaha River (billybass)

Billybass- Yeah the Savannah River was also a little higher than it has been, they have been releasing water out of clarks hill and with the recent rains the river came up about 2 feet over the past 10 days, our tourney yesterday had 39 boats with 1st place weighing 22.35 lbs followed by a distant 2nd at 11 and change and 3rd was 10.25, we took 8th with 8.89

JayLaw
    2001 BassCat Sabre

4. Banned

Re: Report's For The Altimaha River (Gafishin)

Jay, where do you guys put in up there? Is their anywhere close to I-95 (within 10-15 miles) ? My son lives in Savannah and I'd like to find a place up there to take him in the sring.

We only had ten guys in our tourn, but we're a pretty small club to start with.

5. Member

There are two places, first one is at exit 109 (Port Wentworth) once on the exit ramp you would make a Right onto highway 21, go down to bonny bridge road (about 2.5 miles) and make a left, go to the first light and make a left ( there is a chevron station on the corner) follow that around to theramp (Houllian ramp) will be on the right directly before the bridge. Not a great ramp( there is a very small dock there and it can be a pain if crowded) and is in tidal water (brackish) once you put in there run north and fish all the surrounding areas, Out going tide produces well for most.

The second is the ramp I use 99% of the time it is a little futher up I-95 but it is a nicer ramp and it's about 12 miles up river from the Houllian Ramp, Go over the Savannah River and into South Carolina, get off at exit 5 and head west, you will come to a fork in the road (it goes up a very small hill) about .8 miles from the interstate. Make a left there, it is easily passed. Go about .4 miles and there will be a green sign saying Savannah River Access, make a left there, go to the end, make another left, ramp is down on the right about 1/2 mile. It is a much nicer facilty than the ramp in tidewater and it has a small dock to tie off on. It's called Millstone Landing, they are both free of charge.

Millstone is the better of the two and it leaves you more options, if you want to fish tidewater then run south if you want to fish the lakes and oxbows then run north.

If you ever want to go out and fish let me know I would be happy to show you around,my boat or yours, or both, does not matter. Spring time sacks were taking 18-24 lbs to win. It can be ggod but the water gets really high here in the spring and can get frustrating at times.

JayLaw
    2001 BassCat Sabre

6. Banned

Re: Report's For The Altimaha River (Gafishin)

The Altamaha gets really high in the spring too. This year we ended up waiting until mid summer before we really fished it, water was a couple of hundred yards up in the woods. How is the Ocmulgee River? I go over it all the time and it just seems like I should fish it some time.

Thanks for the info on the Savannah. I'm getting ready to go on a business trip until the end of March, but I'll definately look you up when I get back so we can get out there.

7. Member

Definately try Millstone for the Savannah River access. Even closer, you could try the Ogeechee river. Very black water much like the Altamaha. I put in at Kings Ferry, just off HW17. Not far from Bass Pro Shops off 204 in Savannah. Both rivers will put you around some big south GA stumpknockers. Jay is a good guy and can put you on a few in the Savannah River for sure. Look us up when you come up. I grew up in Brunswick but never really fished the Altamaha that much. My priorities were all out whack when I was a growing up down there. As a teenager I could have girls coming out of their bikinis waterskiing/or/ go fishing,,,, I am now married, much older and wiser, and have my priorities back in order and would love to get down there and learn to fish that place. My parents still live in Brunswick. There are some beautiful unknown places to fish on the GA coast.

8. Banned

Re: Report's For The Altimaha River (gcoxvb)

Well just to let you know Glenn, at the Altamaha Park during the summer their are plenty of girls in bikini's running around! Sometimes it takes a long time to get the boat out of the water because of all the interference.....

9. Banned

I did mean to ask, are both of you in the military up there? If so have you ever fished any of the lakes on Ft. Stuart?

10. Member

I am not, but Jay, Richard are Coast Guard. I am the Head Volleyball Coach at the Savannah College of Art and Design. Sssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Lets not even mention the lunker lakes at Ft. Stewart on this site. We locals like to keep our chances of catching the new world record bass a secret. There are some incredible lakes out there. IM me your phone number, I would be glad to give you some info.

11. Banned

Re: Report's For The Altimaha River (gcoxvb)

Fished a small club tourn out of Everett Park this past Saturday. The fishing was extremely tough (for me anyway) with the water muddier than I'd ever seen it. Caught three fish, problem is one was a bream, one was a mud, and the other was a very short bass. Lost one keeper at the side of the boat.

12. Georgia Fishing Reports Moderator

Bill, when Glenn said his priorities are straight, he didn't mean it. See he gave up the bikini clad girls at the beach and rivers to be the head WOMENS volleyball coach for a very well known college. He flies around the country scouting out the hottest high school seniors to recruit for his team. Once recruited he gets to spend 2-4 years with them 200 + days a year with them in little spandex outfits. and yes the fishing is good here on the river and at Ft Stewart!!

Re: Report's For The Altimaha River (Bassin Billy)

I went this weekend on saturday. It was pretty good I caught 6 and lost 4. The largest one was 3 pounds. Watched a weigh in for a tourney took 13 pounds to win it. I guess the weight is down but, a lot of small fish had to be weeded through to get that. I don't know about the actually level of the river but, it was pretty low at Altamaha Park. I talked to a fellow and he told me that was about the average weight that has been winning. Lots of mudfish caught, I didn't catch anything but largemouth but, one guy brought 5 big ones to the ramp to show. I caught all my fish on worms. Did see one guy lose a fish on top water. I'm gonna go back next saturday. I'll let you know how I did if anybody is interested. Later!!!

Re: Report's For The Altimaha River (K-DAWG)

I am going in the morning. Is anybody HHHEEERRRRREEEEE!!!!!!!! HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOO,,,,,,HEEEEELLLLLOOO OOOO..........Echo...

Today was slow with most of the action before 9:00. I put 4 in the boat. All on a top water plug. Lost 3 on atop water plug. Then headed to the tidewater at about 10:30. Had 2 bites the rest on the day. I lost one in Lewis Cr. the came right back with a worm and put him in the boat. The tide was low at 12:39 at Champney Is. Last week low tide was a 6:30 at Champney. The fishing is better above Atl. park when the tide is low in the early morning. I saw a mannatee at the mouth of Champney. Boaters beware!!!!!

It was fricken cooled this morning buurrrrr. Second cast on a topwater plug "bang" 7" fish.....but, the little fellow killed it. I ended up with 4 or 5 keepers, and about 4 or 5 missed fish. I missed one of them 2 times before I got a hook in him. The biggest one going about 3 or 4 pounds. I guess I am going to have to buy some scales. All fish came out of the main river I did not fish any lakes. Caught a few in the willows and a few out of dead trees that have fallen in the river. My batteries died at about 11:00 am. I reckon I didn't charge them long enough. I dredged the mouth of a lake with a crankbait nothing happening with that, yet. Is anybody reading this????? I guess it gives me something to do though. There was 2 tourney's this morning but, I left before the weigh in. I think it was Charlton co. club, and a club out of waycross. Saw a boat from Savannah bassmaster guess they will coming to this location soon?

17. Member

Is there anything going on over there this weekend if there is can you get me some info. It would be greatly appreciated and if you are there it would be nice to meet another bbc'er.

Re: Report's For The Altimaha River (chavis)

I am sure if you show up early there will be a tx. I don't know who will be there but, there's a tx every weekend. Be careful if youv'e never been it's really low right now. I will not make it unless all the bearings for my gearcase get here before friday. Had a bad bearing or bearings go bad so, I tore it down and waiting on new ones. Good luck.

19. Member

what landing? Is it so low that I need a little boat.

Re: Report's For The Altimaha River (chavis)

I put in at Altamaha Park in Everett City just outside of Brunswick. I run my 18ft Procraft. Its just low because of no rain. There are several spots were tha river in only 2 to 3ft deep. I just get on plane and run through those spots. If your careful you should be O.K. Have you ever been there before? If so, its really know different than it is this time of the year any other year.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast