Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1. Member

Re: Report's For Lake Lanier (Astro Angler)

Gearing up for February fishing! Anyone else going next month...anyone else read this thread?
    okay, okay... last cast, after this one.

2. Georgia Fishing Reports Moderator

Looks like just the two of us..

3. Member

Hey Astro. I live not to far away from Lanier. Maybe this spring we can hook up . I have never been on that lake . Been to it a few times just never fished it .

4. Member

Re: Report's For Lake Lanier (blueblaze)

Hey Blueblaze,
    Come on up! This crazy weather has them messed up in the north end, but I have heard that the lower end is staying more consistent and cleaner. I've been wanting to try some places where the Ultimate Match Fishing guys fished. Near docks and sea walls with jerk baits. The water is WAY up too. It's like another lake compared to the last 2 years. I hope to get out in the next couple of weeks on a Friday or Saturday. Let me know if your coming up and I'll direct you to the free ramps. No need paying for gas AND parking fees.
    Astro

5. Member

Hey guys, any advice for a Lanier newbie? Was just transferred to the area. I'm on the northern end of the lake, east side of the west branch, above Dawsonville Highway.

Will likley be trying to get out there for the first time in February if the weather improves. I know nothing about this lake. What works? What doesn't work? What type of structure is there...primarily just docks? Any unmarked shoals/flats/rock outcrioppings to be wary of?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    2020 Triton 216 Fishunter
    Mercury V8 300 Verado (2B646603)

6. Member

Re: Report's For Lake Lanier (rpr)

You can try looking at http://www.havefunfishing.com for some ideas of what to use this time of year and through out the year. I am a FL boy and am getting use to fishing this type of lake. 22' down seems to be the magic depth, but you can fish shallow too at times. I love to use small spooks, jig head works, cranks, spinner baits, and jerk baits this time of year. Hope it helps. I'll let you know more after I get out there which should be soon!

7. Member

Heard this is going to be a float and fly fishing tourny tomorrow. Wonder if the snow will affect the tourny and the fishing.

8. Member

Crazy weather. I assume you haven't been out there yet?

9. Member

Nope not yet. It's got the fishing all confused. Even one of the guys who does his best in the winter time has struggled. I'm waiting for a temp to warm up a bit. At least high 40's, but lower 50's would be better. Then the biggun's begin to show up.

10. Member

It's tough out there. Getting reports that even the guys who know the unknown brush piles or usually rack them up in the winter time cannot find them. Even using fish finders it seems to be tough. May need to find the edge of submerged timber and drop shot it. TBD.

fished 3/13/10, water was 48 degrees in most places, fond 50.5 in the back of 6 mile and flat creeks but no bites. The bites that day were small jerk baits w/ loooooong pauses over points and jighead and trick worm 40' deep mainlake. A shame I didnt get any of those bites.
    Greg
    06 Stratos 201 ProXL, Yamaha 225
    12 Ram 1500 QC Hemi, Dropped 5"+
    85 Tidecraft turned mega pond boat

12. Member

Re: Report's For Lake Lanier (GregInAtl)

3/19/10
    Fished mud creek area by Old Federal Park. Cold water, but the back of the creeks began to warm up from 49 to 50.5-51. Did get some short strikes from either small strippers, white bass or hybrids. Unsure. Did get to see some biologist shocking for male strippers...they caught a 27lb and 16lb females. NO bass though. Heard they were on Flat Creek area when schooling among the strippers. Still hoping for warmer water to push the spawn into high gear!

13. Member

4/8/2010
    Fished Mud Creek area all day. Caught 16-17 with 7 nice spots ranging from 2-3lbs a a piece. Used Crankbaits, Jighead worm, fluke, and spinnerbait. Tried topwater and swimbaits, but they are not chasing yet. Most strikes came off of wood or grass. They are going shallow...saw 2 on beds, but the large wave has not moved in yet. This weekend and next week should be prime!

14. Member

4/9/2010
    High winds, blue bird skys and only 3 fish(1 keeper size). They were NOT on the banks today. Hopefully tomorrow will be better. Caught 1 on a crankbait in about 15' of water and the other 2 on a spinnerbait in the back of a pocket. Caught in the early AM and after that we couldn't find another fish that was in the back pockets and out of the wind.

15. Member

I was able to get out yesterday for only approx. 2 hours late in the afternoon...northern portion of the Chestatee. Got a few bites mid-day on a Texas Rigged worm off grass in approx. 8' of water but didn't land anything.

16. Member

4/10
    Much better today. Caught 8 total, 7 with a spinnerbait and one with a fluke. Near deep water and wood mix. Slow between bites...covered a lot of water. Hopefully it will get hot and the top water action will heat up! 5 biggest went about 11-12lbs.

17. Member

Two weeks since any updates! What's working out there now?

18. Member

Top water is picking up. Use a donkey/fluke set up and you will have a blast. You could use a spook or sammy too in white. Heard some guys out there are marking large schools of bait on humps and points and cranking them deep, to mid, and bringing them up to the surface. You have to travel hitting as many points as you can...south end mostly. Using a shakeyhead as well on reef markers. Not sure about the north end at this point.

I put in at Clarks Bridge this am (6/5/10) and went from there north until a torrent drove us off the water around noon. We caught about 20 on jighead/trick worms in a variety of colors, Jigs w/ wooley bug, lizards, and even weighted flukes. The top water bite easn't on, but plastic sure was.
    Greg
    06 Stratos 201 ProXL, Yamaha 225
    12 Ram 1500 QC Hemi, Dropped 5"+
    85 Tidecraft turned mega pond boat

20. Member

Re: Report's For Lake Lanier

Hey guys...terrible summer for me...only been out there three times and have only caught one dink all year. Pathetic.

Weather's starting to change so I assume tactics have changed as well over the past week or so.

I will be trying my luck again this weekend and I have a four day weekend coming up at the end of next week also. What's currently working and where? Thanks!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast