Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your Opinuon: Where's the best bass fishing in Ohio?

This could be a good way to get guys to try new water. If you don't fish any lakes in Ohio then tell us why. Don't need details just sharing a little perspective.

2. Member

Re: Your Opinuon: Where's the best bass fishing in Ohio? (CincyBas)

For me the best I have experienced is Lake Erie for largemouth and smallmouth. I have fished a few smaller lakes in the Southern part of the state without a whole lot of success. I fish mostly in other states IN, KY, TN. I fish the OH River a good bit but wouldn't consider it to be good fishing.

3. Member

I agree on Lake Erie, probably the only "good" bass fishing spot in Ohio (excluding farm ponds). I fish Ceaser Creek & East Fork a little, neither is that good. Ditto on the Ohio River, it's just someplace to go fishing. I go south for most of my good fishing, Guntersville being my favorite!

4. Member

Good fishing in Ohio is a relative term. I managed to scratch 4 out of the River on Sat and 4 out of Paint Creek (the lake) on Sunday. Not many of our lakes are "good" by other states standards, but IMHO is that makes us better anglers because we have to work so hard for the few we do catch. Just my opinion.

5. Member

Re: Your Opinuon: Where's the best bass fishing in Ohio? (mcavey)

Mike,
    4 on the river is damn good in my opinion. I went back to Brookville Sat. am and couldn't get anything to measure. I've never tried or heard about Paint creek.

Jack,
    Ceaser and East Fork now there's a couple of tough ones. But you always see some good fish turned in on the weekly tourney up East Fork. Guntersville in Alabama that's one I have not tried but I have heard of it. Good bass and known for its pan fishing too (I think). I heard it has lots of grass and milfoil.

6. Member

I forgot to add Acton Lake (Houston Woods), it's a 10hp limit, so that means using the trolling motor to get around. I havn't been there this year yet, but it's a pretty decent lake to catch some bass. I think they still have a 15" limit, so at least the bass can get a little bigger. Only problem is that there is only one bank that seems to hold fish, if your not there early it means fishing a lot of used water!

Modified by JackOH at 8:06 AM 8/2/2005

7. Member

Re: Your Opinuon: Where's the best bass fishing in Ohio? (JackOH)

Jack,
    I have to agree on the Acton lake. Last year was my first time fishing it. I had back surgery April 04' so I wasn't allowed to run the big motor for a while. Its amazing the size of bass boats you see fishing that place. I live about 15-20 mins from there. I didn't get out there this year but it has some descent size bass in there.

8. Member

My vote goes for Lake Erie of course..but it's in a class all in its own. If you consider inland lakes and streams then my pick is Mosquito Lake and/or Berlin Resevoir.

9. Member

Re: Your Opinuon: Where's the best bass fishing in Ohio? (TritonBill)

Bill so do you fished the pool of the river that the classic was held at? It sure sounds like Mosquito Lake is a pretty nice body of water for Ohio terms. That thing is over 7800 acres of water and you have Erie at your back door. You lucky dog. If that thing wasn't over 4 hours away I sure would try it.

10. Member

I moved to Toledo 10 years ago and never dreamed bass fishing could be like this in Ohio. Grew up in west central Ohio and thought a good day was 4 or 5 on Indian Lake or St. Marys (which is probably true). We've already had several days this year of both 30 and 40 bass (both species) and many of those fish were in the 3-5 lb. range. I am sold on Erie.
    "Old fisherman never die, they just smell that way"

11. Member

I've never fished those pools. I fish the New Cumberland and Pike Island pools. New Cumberland pool is one pool further than they were allowed to lock through to in the classic. Half of that pool is in Ohio and the upper half PA waters.

Mosquito is a great lake for bass and walleye! It's a shallow lake but the bass fishing usually is good all year long.

Within 10-12 minutes of my house I have Berlin Resevoir , Salem Resevoir and Westville Lake. Within 25 minutes of my house I have West Branch Resevoir and Lake Milton. Within 35 minutes I have Deer Creek Resevoir and Walburn Resevoir. Within 1hr I have the Ohio River - New Cumberland Pool and Portage Lakes. A little further out is Tappan Lake and Salt Fork. These are just the lakes I fish. There are quite a few (prob 20 or 30) other smaller lakes I've never fished.

I can be at Lake Erie within 1 1/2hrs at the closest but up to 2 1/2hrs to get to Erie, PA at Presque Isle Bay or 2hrs at Sandusky area.

I love being in this part of the state!

I have a friend that lives in Greenup, KY so I've been on the Greenup and Meldahl pool once or twice and also fished GreenBo and Yatesville lake.

12. Member

One of the best lakes I've run across is Clear Fork right outside Mansfield. Good quality fish and some big muskie too. Lots of different ways to catch em'. Deep or shallow, weedbeds or points, it's a pretty nice lake. 10MPH lake but at least we can take our rigs on it unlike A LOT of other electric only lakes or 10HP lakes. They've put that new ramp in a couple of years ago and thank goodness as the old one was really lacking functionality.

Now for one of the best electric motor lakes, Aquilla lake in Chardon and La Due Res. in Geauga County. Aquilla lake is only 25 acres but the biggest bass I've caught in Ohio have been from that lake. 8lb 2oz was the largest as well as 3 7's with 3 weeks last year. I released them all but did take some pics. The pads on Aquilla hold the bass all year long and man is it fun pull them to the top and out of them. 25lb line is a must for these fish. La Due Res. is another one that is excellent as you can flip, cast or jig and catch them. A real pretty lake without development and many access areas to drop your boat.

Erie is by far the best lake but these are some of the best "small water" fisheries I've run across in Ohio.

Daryl
    Daryl

13. Member

Re: Your Opinuon: Where's the best bass fishing in Ohio? (dkwas)

Good report Daryl and don"t be a stranger here.

The rest of us Buckeye's enjoying hearing about how our fellow anglers are or are not catching them.

14. Member

HAVE TO VOTE FOR ERIE TO ,WHERE ELSE CAN YOU GO AND SO MANY FISH THAT YOUR THUMB GETS SORE FROM LIPPING THEM THAT DOES NOT HAPPIN VER OFTEN BUT WHEN IT DOES ITS GREAT. DAVE
    2005 COUGAR FTD 225 OPTI

15. Member

Re: Your Opinuon: Where's the best bass fishing in Ohio? (CATMAN 225)

I like Erie in Cleveland as it's close to home but I like that on one cast you can get a smallie and the next a largemouth. They there are the times you get into the big schools of white bass. Me and a buddy were out a few weeks back and caught about 100 or so. He doesn't fish much and when he does he doesn't catch anything of size so when he caught his first few he was really excited. By the end of the day however he was wishing we would move and try for some bigger "real" bass. He was getting tired of getting them off the treble hooks.

Daryl
    Daryl

16. Member

Daryl,

Does the cleveland area give up some good bass? I always have went East mostly and a few times to Vermillion,etc.... but never cleveland. Cleveland would be close to me, I work in Streetsboro.

17. Member

We definately need to do an outing up Erie next year. Definately

Never fished east of Vermillion for bass.

Furthest east for me would have been Ashtubula for Monster Walleye's

18. Member

The largemouth bite downtown is spotty at times and on fire at others. Usually in May the largemouth hang out by the airport waiting to move into the cove to spawn. Rocky areas around the Rock Hall and surrounding areas in May hold smallies too, some pretty nice ones I must say. You can catch a largemouth on one cast and a smallie on the next. After the spawn some stay in that same cove as the weeds start to grow thick. Wind direction is key in this small cove as if it's coming out of the SW the bite is usally on. I've limited out in that area a couple of times within an hour then there are some days you only get 1 or 2. You really have to watch the movements of these fish to get on them and pattern them. Most of the marina's have bass in them as well. Lots of Rock Bass however, if you can get through them, some nice largemouth are there. There are 3 marinas worth fishing right downtown. Again, it will take some time finding them but once you do, you should be on them for a few weeks.

Daryl
    Daryl

19. Member

So can you fish there and not have to hit the big water ?

If you ever have an open seat let me know, maybe we could meet up! I've never fished the Cleveland area.

20. Member

There are some breakwalls you can walk on and fish and I've seen folks catch some nice walleye, smallies, and largemouths. If you like the scenery and don't mind looking foolish you can fish right underneath the Rock and Roll Hall of fame. I didn't see any signs that say you can't.

Daryl
    Daryl

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast