Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lipless bait rod

Hello! Im looking for some recommendations for a 1/2-3/4 oz rod for throwing rattle traps. Thanks for your help!!

2. Member
    I like tossing my lipless baits on a glass composite rod. Current favorite is the Tatula Elite Randy Howell Universal rod.

3. Member
    Any MH moderate fast would be ideal for general purpose use

4. Member
    I have been using an ALX Rumble. Love it for single hook moving baits and it's been great for ripping traps through the tops of grass.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammy19 View Post
    Hello! Im looking for some recommendations for a 1/2-3/4 oz rod for throwing rattle traps. Thanks for your help!!
    Open water or grass ripping mostly? A 3/4 oz. lipless with braid for grass ripping is definitely a different rod than I'd want for a 1/2 oz with mono/FC in open water, rocky conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    Open water or grass ripping mostly? A 3/4 oz. lipless with braid for grass ripping is definitely a different rod than I'd want for a 1/2 oz with mono/FC in open water, rocky conditions.
    Amen. I don't mind a MH/Mod.-Reg Fast with Copoly in open water, but bring the grass, wood, and rock piles, I want a MH-Hvy./Fast. Brian.

Typically I recommend an IKOS Promise 73, especially if you are ripping grass. If you are fishing open points, I typically go with a lighter power like the IKOS Buzz 7.

The anomaly is the ZOLO Rumble. Since it has a glass tip and a carbon fiber back end - it does a heck of a job ripping traps out of the top of grass and keeps fish buttoned up like you'd want on a crankbait rod. Think of it as a MH cranking rod in the tip and heavy power jig rod in the backbone. We had a significant amount of positive feedback from our clients this past winter who started using the Rumble for traps.

Here is one review from the website that touches on lipless. I think there may be a couple more on there.

Zolo Rumble Chatterbaits to Lipless Cranks
    Would not believe how nice of a lipless crank ripbait rod this one makes along with a bladed jig. I never had much luck with chatterbaits using a crankbait moderate rod. Lot of my lakes I fish are heavy vegetation. I wanted a glass rod that is not a noodle and strong and stiff enough that if I got stuck in the stuff, it could pull my lure through or rip it. Still keeping that parabolic flex that can take the fighting pissed off jumping fish or launch a lipless crank a mile. The Rumble is really good at that. I have been catching them on it. I owned a ton of big name brands and went through a lot of them. Most good glass rods are designed now for crankbaits and going to be thick in diameter which this is, after getting used to that, the Rumble is really light and because it is not a sluggish noodle gives you casting stability like a graphite rod along with sensitivity that lacks in glass rods. Hard combination to get in a rod. Bladed jig, grass swim jig is perfect..! Lipless cranks is ideal rod because it has the backbone stability to rip out stuck lures and parabolic still to fight nasty head shakes trying to throw your lure. Still remains light enough to not wear you out casting all day. Win win for being a versatile niche rod for a select techniques. I paired it with a Shimano CuradoK Mgl 150 at 6.5 oz reel, it's seriously light and comfortable.

8. Member
    I like the Daiwa BLX MH 7’4” from their moderate taper line

9. Member
    Thanks for the info fellas!!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    I would like to hear your recommendation for this setup

Quote Originally Posted by bass-o-maticjm View Post
    I would like to hear your recommendation for this setup
    High end, and both versatile enough for lots of other techniques - Megabass US Destroyer P5 Javelin or the Steez AGS 7'2" Moving Bait Versatile

Mid-range, again versatile rods - Megabass Orochi XX EMTF or the Megabass XX Flat Side Special if you prefer a little less power and a more moderate action.

There are so many options for this application, so much of it depends on personal preference on length, action, and power.

Ark Invoker Pro composite 7'4 medium heavy.

https://arkrods.com/products/ark-inv...42643174162672
    Last edited by JohnD.; 08-20-2023 at 01:34 AM.

13. Member
    IMX-PRO 845CBR for open water, 906CBR for ripping out of grass.
    Last edited by Rodster14; 08-20-2023 at 06:43 PM.

14. Member
    Rodster14 - 7' rod for open water and 7'6" for ripping out of grass? Is there a longer loomis rod for open water or is there some reason you prefer 7' for open water?

thanks

15. Member
    Use the 845 CBR for my do everything rod, so the 7 ft works better for most all cranks. Even at 7 feet, it will throw a lipless a long way. The 906 CBR works great as an open water rod too. I sometimes use it for that. The 845 is just more versatile.

16. Moderator
    A member on here built me a custom rod for lipless baits. It's the only one I use.

17. Member
    Many rods with work, although I prefer 7'0" to 7'11" depending on the situation...also I almost always use braid+leader and a taper that is mod-fast. For me, power of the blank is dictated by the size of the lipless and whether it's clean water or lots of grass and structure.

FWIW, all of the rods mentioned previously will work just fine for certain situations and different types of preferences in rod length and power per the user.

Also, if you find a rod that you just love in general, changing from flouro/co-poly/mono to braid leader could very well help you rip out of grass better with the same rod.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodster14 View Post
    IMX-PRO 845CBR for open water, 906CBR for ripping out of grass.
    I had an original IMX 7' MH that I LOVED for open water. When it finally gave up the ghost, Loomis replaced it with a new IMX-PRO 843C MBR Just taking it out of the rod tube, I knew I wouldn't be using it for traps, so I now have another light T-rig or small jig rod. I'll have to look into the 845 as that is probably closer to what I had.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass-o-maticjm View Post
    I had an original IMX 7' MH that I LOVED for open water. When it finally gave up the ghost, Loomis replaced it with a new IMX-PRO 843C MBR Just taking it out of the rod tube, I knew I wouldn't be using it for traps, so I now have another light T-rig or small jig rod. I'll have to look into the 845 as that is probably closer to what I had.
    The OG IMX MBR 843 with the Wiebe seat was a more reg-fast (still faster taper than mod-fast) taper and was a great all around moving bait rod. The CBR 845 is more moderate-fast and less overall backbone, but just wicked good with braid + leader and keeps the trebles pinned well. I would venture to guess that a CBR855 GLX would be closer to the OG MBR 843 IMX that you used to have.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon1 View Post
    The OG IMX MBR 843 with the Wiebe seat was a more reg-fast (still faster taper than mod-fast) taper and was a great all around moving bait rod. The CBR 845 is more moderate-fast and less overall backbone, but just wicked good with braid + leader and keeps the trebles pinned well. I would venture to guess that a CBR855 GLX would be closer to the OG MBR 843 IMX that you used to have.
    Great information to know and gives me something to go on. Thank you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast