Thread: Favorite Reel?

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Garcia 4000 & 5000 series for over 30 years. I just can't see a reason to change.

2. Member

Re: (cart7)

Ambassader 5000 and 5500's in the warm months and 4500 and 4600's when it is cold. Curado's would be great, but beyond my abilitys.

R. C.

R. C.

3. Member

Re: Favorite reel?

Lew's Speed Spool, BB-1 & BB-1 NG
    Very Simple, easy to maintain, and my first serious reel. I have 4 Lew's total. 2 BB-1 &2 BB-1 NG. I used my dads as a kid and told myself I had to get me one. I bought one from a working buddy and bought one on ebay. I then bought the BB-1 NG 's from Academy. Sure wish I could find another BB-1 from Shimano.

4. Member

Re: Favorite reel? (Progator 180V)

i picked the Curado 100B even though i dont have one , i've used em several times and they are without a doubt the smoothest reels i've used. im gettin one soon.
    Will Scaife
    2003 Stroker, 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

5. Member

Re: Favorite reel? (whitetailbasser)

For the money, the Curado SF is a hard one to beat. That and the Calcutta 100 are probably my favorites. If money were no object, then I would go for the Shimano Calais reels. Team Diawa's high end reels are very nice too.

6. Member

Re: Favorite reel? (git-r-done250XS)

[QUOTE=I agree with wristpin1,,,original chronarch was a good balance of weight ,smoothness, and price,,,,new one is not much better and is alot heavier and alot more money,,,,to keep weight down and stay with shimano i would have to go with mg and for a few dollars more i can get TDZ and reduce weight alot,,,,,,flipping and pitching all day who wants 9oz. when they can have 6oz.,,,,,,,i think shimano made a diawa man out of me,,,,,,,,,,,,anyone that has origanal chronarchs for sale reasonable, e mail me

[/QUOTE]

The Chronarch mg50 is lighter than the td-z at 5.9ozs and $100 cheaper. I have them on all my rods except my cranking and spinnerbait rods. I have diawa Sols on these rods. I don't like the featherweights for reels that are under constant load like what spinnerbaits and cranks produce. Can you tell I like small line capacity I can't cast over 100yds and like to change line often, so it saves line. I also think the chronarch palms better the the diawa sols. Both great reels anyway.

Re: Favorite reel? (Triton Marty)

Diawa TDX 103HSD's and TDX 103HSD-F for me.

2019 RANGER Z518 - Mercury ProXS 150 4 Stroke

·...¸><((((º>
    .··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
    ·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

8. Member

Re: (Schulze)

I also have to agree with you guys on the BPS Extreme reels. I bought another one this weekend for flipping and was trying it in the back yard last night and was amazed at how well I could pitch very light lures. I've got 4 of these reels now and I was very pleased with the others last season.

9. Member

Re: (jm173)

CHRONARCH 100MG for me

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boone Barton
    G Loomis, Kistler Helium rods
    Shimano Reels
    Seaguar FC, PowerPro line, Trilene XL
    Hydra-Sports Boats
    WORLDS YOUNGEST UBER-TACKLE JUNKIE

10. Member

Re: Favorite reel? (sdfd504)

got CHRONARCH 100MG

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boone Barton
    G Loomis, Kistler Helium rods
    Shimano Reels
    Seaguar FC, PowerPro line, Trilene XL
    Hydra-Sports Boats
    WORLDS YOUNGEST UBER-TACKLE JUNKIE

11. Member

Re: Favorite reel? (The Natural)

Natural,

Keep your eyes open at Dick's , sports authority etc...Some of them may have the old Chronarchs and are letting them go for around $150.

Re: (cart7)

Those were my sentemints exactly untill I tried a 5600 D5, it is now my favorite and now I have 3, 90.00 at BPS and Cabelas but got all on E-bay for about 62.00 apiece.
    21 Lund 1775 Impact XS 21 Merc 115 Pro XS

13. Member

Re: (Hawkeye)

went down the shimano rd for a while but keep coming back to my ambassador 5000 & 5500's.i also bought one of the pfleuger presidents nice reels

14. Member

Re: Favorite reel? (fisharkansas)

hey there fisharkansas,how is the mag brake,also how does it cast????? on the tica, i have been looking at them...let me know...thanks

Modified by mtnman at 5:14 PM 5/5/2005
    USA out of UN out of USA

15. Member

Re: Favorite reel? (mtnman)

The best reels ever made were the old Lew's Speed Spools! I've got a BB-ING,
    a BB-1L, and a BB-1MG. They're all awesome! The BB-1L is very old. It was a hand-me-down from my dad, but it still works flawlessly. I bought the BB-1NG myself, and it's even better. The best of all is the BB-1MG. It's a magnetic version of a BB-1NG. It's a pretty rare reel because they only made them for a year or two. I can cast anything on these reels & they never backlash. I own many more expensive reels including a Shimano Calais, but they can't hold a candle to my old Lew's reels.

I'll never forget when I first saw the new Lew's reels in the BPS catalog. I thought my prayers had been anwered when I saw the thumbar & read about the continuous anti-reverse. I was so excited that I ordered a BB25SS & a BB19GS at the same time. Boy was that a mistake! Oh yeah the new ones are smoother and all, but they won't cast! Don't get me wrong, they're nearly impossible to backlash, but you can't get any distance with your casts. My old Lew's reels will cast a mile & still not backlash. I'll never buy another Lew's reel unless they go back to the old design and that's not likely!

16. Member

Re: Favorite reel? (roughrider)

just got my Curado 100B and it is the best reel i have ever used. givin it a good test try today and tomorow

if you set it right you can cast and pitch a hook with it
    Will Scaife
    2003 Stroker, 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

17. Member

Uh, did someone just "vote" 14 times in rapid succession for a Quantum E600PT reel?????????????

18. Member

Re: Favorite reel? (roughrider)

roughrider, you are so right. I have 6 "original" Lew's reels 3 of them have the V spool and cast even light lures a great distance. I just got 2 of the new reels and though nicely made, are not just like the old ones. I still have 6 Lew's rods from way back. Only have 1 boron rod, but wish I had more. Best rod I have ever used. Well, the Shimano fightin rods are a real close second.
    Even the Shimano and Browning made Lew's were not as good as the real Lew's are.
    My pride and joy is a set of 5 Lew's cane poles I got in the 70's. They are always in the boat and ready for the Bluegill!
    Hans

2001 Nitro NX 750 Merc 75

19. Member

QUANTUM PERFORMANCE TUNED (PT) SERIES!

20. Member

LEW-sers!!! lol

Couldn't agree more about the BB1N's I own 9 of them, with a few in reserve for parts... I too bought one of the "new Lews", and found the same (no distance).

After opening it up and inspecting, i found (what looked to be) a JAR of grease in every one of them! Cleaned them up with Naptha, re-lubed w/ Rocket Fuel, and I can zing 'em past any Chronarch or Calais out there!!!

Also, all you Lews nuts: for replacement parts, Call Marv at SunCoast Rod and Reel in Tavares, Florida (352) 343-7877. Great selection of parts and a hell of a helpful guy!

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast