Thread: Jig question

Jig question

I have been making jigs for about two years now. I have always used powder paint for painting them. Is painting with an airbursh and clear coating more durable the using powder paint. I fish alot around rocks and powder paint just doesnt hold up to long.

2. Banned

Re: Jig question (livetofish)

Put clear on over the powder paint. Is what i do on some of my stuff. If powder paint is put on right and then baked right. More durable than spraying paint if you do not put clear coat on either. Add the clear and just makes either more durable depending on the clear and your process.

3. Banned

Re: Jig question (Joey Watts)

I agree...but it depends on the clearcoat being used!

4. Member

Re: Jig question (Terry Anderson)

What clearcoat do yall recommend?

5. Banned

Re: Jig question (livetofish)

I spray a 2 part epoxy.

6. Member
    I always brush on Devcon 2 Ton 30 minute Epoxy. Waterproof, rock hard and doesn't require a turner. Available at Ace hardwares
    The powder paint/epoxy should be more durable than airbrushing paint

7. Member

Re: (Hanzach)

If your fishing the rocks like your supposed to it doesnt matter what you do to them....the paint is going to chip if you throw them alot. I have tried everything and it just doesnt matter. Fish like a lil used bait anyways haha....theres always that one crankbait or something with the paint rubbed off it they just love and same goes for a jig

8. Banned

Re: (Hanzach)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by Hanzach &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">I always brush on Devcon 2 Ton 30 minute Epoxy. Waterproof, rock hard and doesn't require a turner. Available at Ace hardwares
    The powder paint/epoxy should be more durable than airbrushing paint</td></tr></table>

Does it level out so there are no brush marks? No problem with sagging? Thanks

9. Member
    I'm interested to hear what you guys do to keep your paint from chipping. I'm going to have to check out the Devcon epoxy.

All my production jigs are painted. But i don't bother painting the ones i fish. Doesn't seem to make much of a difference, honestly. But they buyers want painted, so they get painted. :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matt
    2006 Triton TR-196, 2005 Mercury 200 EFI

10. Brownie
    Does anyone know how to get this black flake look? Not sure if its powder paint or not but I would like to get this speckled look. B352-1-1024x683.jpg

11. Member
    That is how the powder comes. Check out BOSS paints.

12. Brownie
    Thanks

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbrown2 View Post
    Does anyone know how to get this black flake look? Not sure if its powder paint or not but I would like to get this speckled look.

That is called "veined powder" and you can get it from Barlow's Tackle, Columbia Coatings, and as you were already told, BOSS outdoors.

14. Member
    I started a batch a couple of weeks ago that I airbrushed because I wanted to experiment with some two tones, scale patterns, and different colored glitter. Now I have seven dozen painted jigs, and can't figure out how I'm going to put them all on the turner when I coat them in epoxy. I don't have that many clips.

I guess this means I will just have to mix up smaller batches of epoxy, and do them a few at a time.

15. Member
    restated below

16. Member
    You can also create the speckles by starting with the base color. While the paint is still soft, take a small craft brush and dip it in the black and tap it above the jig. Small amounts of black paint will fall on the jig and then reheat. Hope this is clear

Quote Originally Posted by raywillett View Post
    You can also create the speckles by starting with the base color. While the paint is still soft, take a small craft brush and dip it in the black and tap it above the jig. Small amounts of black paint will fall on the jig and then reheat. Hope this is clear
    If airbrushing you can also use the toothbrush flick method
    '06 Xpress X19 TS | 150 Yamaha VMAX