How to get started?

Looking at some of your guys Bad azz paint jobs has got me wanting to try it out.
    What do I need to get started?
    Type of air brush.
    Type of paint.
    Type of clear coat.
    I am more focused on Blue gill, craws, threadfin shad, and frog type colors.
    I know it will take a lot of practice to get them to look alive, but I think it will be a good hobby to try out.

Thanks for any kind of info
    Josh

Re: How to get started? (American Bassman)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by American Bassman &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">Looking at some of your guys Bad azz paint jobs has got me wanting to try it out.
    What do I need to get started?
    Type of air brush.
    Type of paint.
    Type of clear coat.
    I am more focused on Blue gill, craws, threadfin shad, and frog type colors.
    I know it will take a lot of practice to get them to look alive, but I think it will be a good hobby to try out.

Thanks for any kind of info
    Josh</td></tr></table>

Airbrush: You can get a cheap one at Harbor Freight or a nice Iwata at Hobby Lobby. If you purchase it at hobby lobby look for a 40% coupon online.

Paints: Createx or Auto Air paints will get-em done!!

Clearcoat: Devcon 2ton 30 min epoxy, you can do about 3 baits per mixing, so dont mix too much at one time. There are plenty of others out there but this is a good starting clear. You will need to build a drying turning wheel to hang them after applying the clear. You can get a rotisserie motor at Walmart to build one with. Dont start out with to hard of patterns until you get everything figured out and then work your way up as you progress.

Good luck Josh and dont forget to post pics!!

Thanks BBM. It might be a while, but when I do paint one that I like I'll be sure to post it to get a thumbs up or down.

Be sure to look at the hardbait color book post on here. It will show you how to do some great patterns! Good luck, and be warned: Once you start painting, you will be hooked for life!

Re: (American Bassman)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by American Bassman &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">Thanks BBM. It might be a while, but when I do paint one that I like I'll be sure to post it to get a thumbs up or down.</td></tr></table>

Your welcome Josh!! I will keep my eye out for the pics. Best of luck and have fun doing it!!

So many paint guns to choose from. What are some of the best ones for the buck, or a quality one for the beginner?
    Is my home compressor ok as long as I turn the air pressure down?

The Iwata at hobby lobby that Pat suggested will be great just wait for the 40% off coupon and youll save some $$$$

I like the harbor frieight model as I shoot alot of metalic craft paints and it blows them on great. Not so much with the finer guns as the metal flake glogs the gun.

The price is right too http://www.harborfreight.com/d....html

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

9. Member

Re: How to get started? (21XDC)

where are you guys getting the paint from,i just purchased the harbor freght gun and have been playing with it using acrylics.but i have heard createx was the better one and looking for somewhere to pick some up and try.

Fishing the greatest remedy to recover your sanity

Re: How to get started? (justbass)

I just use the craft paint at hobby lobby. Yes I thin it to my needs with water and a touch of future floor finish. I have never used the airbrush paint as the color choices are too few and dont want to mix my own colors. I like the $1.00 bottles better anyway.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Well I just ordered about 20 colors of paint.
    And I printed pics of Gills, shad, craws, and frogs to help guide me.
    I'll get a gun and other misc items this weekend.

If you want a great beginner airbrush here is a link to the nea Iwata NEO ($49.95) And it is a great value. Besides Iwata is the best gun on the market!

Re: (Basssnax)

I have that gun too and it clogs with my metalic paints.

Re: (21XDC)

I use an Iwata Hi-Line as My workhorse gun it has the same needle 0.35-mm No problem shooting pearls or metalics.
    You got to thin it to to consisity of milk! Iwata in a precision machined gun with very tight tolerences it does require cleaning quit a bit, i'll give you that!

I'm not using airbrush metalics... Or I'm sure it would work in my neo. I'm using many types of craft paint and the paint fragments/chunks are bigger as well as glitter is bigger. The harbor freight model shoots tham all. I love all the color choices I have. Endless.