Thread: guide sizes

guide sizes

thinking of building my 2nd rod. wondering if some one knows what size guides are used on rods such as the boyd ducket rods? im not sure that i want them that small just trying to get an idea in my head to compare sizes.

Re: guide sizes (bullet boater)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by bullet boater &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">thinking of building my 2nd rod. wondering if some one knows what size guides are used on rods such as the boyd ducket rods? im not sure that i want them that small just trying to get an idea in my head to compare sizes.</td></tr></table>

The Duckett Rods have American Tackle micros on them. Not sure of the size though, but probably 3's or 4's.

3. Member

Re: guide sizes (CiK)

so a size 5 would be a good size to go with?

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by bullet boater &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">so a size 5 would be a good size to go with?</td></tr></table>

If that is what you want to do, then sure. The limiting factor when I decide what guide size to go with is "what will pass through the guides?". You should be ok if you don't have any swivels or anything else going through them. if its just line, then determine the diameter of it and then go with the smallest possible to shoot that line through. My next rods I will be putting 2.5's or 3's on.

5. Every Man A Wildcat!! ReelDoc's Avatar

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by bullet boater &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">so a size 5 would be a good size to go with?</td></tr></table>
    Personally, I'm not a fan of micro guides for a number of reasons. I fish Lake Guntersville and it has a lot of vegetation and slop, so I'm worried about getting the guides clogged up with junk. They are also a giant PITA for my old eyes to thread the line through. I much prefer size 6 Fuji Alconite guides - absolutely the most bang for your buck when it comes to guides.

Tip on the Alconites - use only the Double Foot and the FLY guides. Stay away from the "Bridge" guides. They have a very short foot and tend to come loose more easily.

SSgt, US Air Force, 1967-75

Veteran - a person who at some time in their life wrote a blank check payable to "The United States of America" in the amount of "up to and including my life".

6. Member

Re: guide sizes (ReelDoc)

Duckett's cranking rods use a size 3 and the rest use a 4. A size will work for pretty much anything you want to so with a rod. The thing to remember with guide sizes is that you only need a guide that's a little bit bigger than the line that you're using. if you're using braid with a leader you'll need to go up in size a little to pass the knot. It just really depends on what you're wanting to do with the rod.

7. Member

Re: guide sizes (ReelDoc)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by ReelDoc &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">
    Personally, I'm not a fan of micro guides for a number of reasons. I fish Lake Guntersville and it has a lot of vegetation and slop, so I'm worried about getting the guides clogged up with junk. They are also a giant PITA for my old eyes to thread the line through. I much prefer size 6 Fuji Alconite guides - absolutely the most bang for your buck when it comes to guides.

Tip on the Alconites - use only the Double Foot and the FLY guides. Stay away from the "Bridge" guides. They have a very short foot and tend to come loose more easily.</td></tr></table>

have you ever used micros? curious if you experienced the clogged guides first hand or if you are just speculating ....

I have actually experienced the opposite with micros. the smaller guides actually keep the duckweed, slime, and cottonwood from getting to the levelwind on my reel, where it can make a big mess.

trust me, I had the same thoughts on micros until I tried them for a season

micros will ice up quickly though!!!

Re: guide sizes (jimmy7)

the only time i've had issues with micros was with dog-woods getting stuck on the line using spinning gear. they kind of ball up and get stuck in 1 spot on the line. Never had a problem on my casting gear.

9. Member

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by jimmy7 &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">

have you ever used micros? curious if you experienced the clogged guides first hand or if you are just speculating ....

I have actually experienced the opposite with micros. the smaller guides actually keep the duckweed, slime, and cottonwood from getting to the levelwind on my reel, where it can make a big mess.
    </td></tr></table>

My experience is similar to jimmy7. No worries with cottonwood.

10. Member

Re: guide sizes (CHM)

how should i step the sizes down? which size should the first guide be if i want to go down to a 5? how many should i use on a 6.6 rod?

X3...

and as for threading line thru them, I can usually do a micro rod faster. You just have to learn the trick.

I find them easier than putting line in a hook eye.

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by bullet boater &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">how should i step the sizes down? which size should the first guide be if i want to go down to a 5? how many should i use on a 6.6 rod?</td></tr></table>

just use one size and it's no worry about the step down.