Who do you recommend for Custom Built Rods?

I've never owned or fished with a custom rod... but I'm now interested in trying to have a couple of rods built for me... So for those of you out there with more experience in custom built rods... can you tell me who are the better guys to deal with... who do you recommend I look into?

Re: Who do you recommend for Custom Built Rods? (stalking coyote)

Being the only custom rod sponsor, I guess I will speak up.

Regardless of if you contact me or another builder (there are plenty of great rodbuilders out there too), here are some things I would look for:

- A fair price for the product you order and have a mutual understanding of what you can expect once you recieve the rod.
    - No surprises - the rod build should be what you agreed on prior to the build starting
    - Make sure you are comfortable with him/her. If you can't see the rods in person, get some pictures with proof they really are his rods to inspect quality! (like a label showing etc - and more than two rods - websites are great)
    - Deadlines and delivery dates. Your builder should be able to tell you when the rod will be ready for delivery and meet those dates, or communicate with reasons why he/she won't and offer course of action if that is not acceptible.
    - Knowledge is there - does the guy sound like he knows what he's talking about? Part of going to a custom builder is you are having someone get you in the right rod - more of a rod consultant if anything. They should be able to listen to your needs and match you up with the right match.

There are lots of guys who can build a great rod. The difference among them is finding the one that fits what you need, builds a quality product, and is going to provide you the service that you are paying for.

A builder producing a good product is usually going to stand behind it himself also!

3. Member

Re: Who do you recommend for Custom Built Rods? (cidgrad)

I have seen a couple of Cidgrad's ALX Rods at last weeks rod expo. They are very clean in appearance and are very high quality. I would highly recommend them.

4. Member

Re: Who do you recommend for Custom Built Rods? (cidgrad)

ALX rod