Banned

Rod building sizes

I'm confused about a couple of things. How do you know what size reel seat to get or what size eyelets to get. I have looked at a couple of blanks and for example it will say that the butt is .453 and you want to get a reel seat and they are .453 you must certainly want a bigger one one for epoxy room correct ?
    And as far as eyelets. How do you determine the size you want. This is all french to me so type slow and use little words if possible Pictures or links to pictures would be great

Re: Rod building sizes (cowtrimmer)

here is a link that will help you. again its only a guide line fuji has chart for their concept guides and spacing. It also explains your reel seat application.
    http://www.merricktackle.com/P...s.pdf

Retired F.D.N.Y.
    We Shall Never Forget 911
    All gave some, Some gave ALL\"
    God Bless Our Troops

Re: Rod building sizes (trapshot100)

some reel seats are a standard diameter and some (mostly the exposed blank design) are fitted to the taper of the rod. The only way to fit these is to have the rod in hand and measure the blank diameter with calipers on the blank at the spot you want the back of the reel seat to start. The seats can be reamed in the same fashion as cork, so err to the small side for a perfect fit.

Standard diamater seats are usually 16 or 17mm and you simply create an arbor with masking tape, fiberglass drywall tape or purchase graphite or foam arbors. You don't need/want very much room for epoxy.

This makes it tough if you want to order everything at once - my advice would be to call one of the board sponsors who carries the blank and seat you want. They will be able to measure it for you as well as give good advice on the guides and setup you are looking for. if you contact Bob at customtackle.com, he can usually do this for you as well.

4. Member

Re: Rod building sizes (cowtrimmer)

A good rule of thumb is: butt size - .060 to find the right size for exposed blank reel seats. Found the formula in a supplier catalog years ago and have used it ever since. Works just about every time. Always get the next size smaller and ream it to fit.

\"You should\'ve been here last week.\"