Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Alabama rig braid or mono?

Which do you guys prefer for throwing the Alabama Rig? Braid or mono? I have heard of alot of guys throwing it on braid, what is the reason for this? Is it strictly so they can get their rigs back if they get stuck or is there some other benefit?

I make my own rigs so I'm not worried about getting them stuck or losing them. Or is mono preferred if losing the rig doesn't matter?

If you guys prefer braid, what size?

I'll be throwing them on the new Powell Endurance 795 Umbrella Rig Rod paired up with a Curado 300E.

Thanks for your input guys.

Modified by Agro at 10:12 AM 2/8/2012

2. Member

Re: Alabama rig braid or mono? (Agro)

From what I been reading Agro guys have using nothing under 65 lb for the Alabama rig and as high as 100 lb braid. There is alot of weight your throwing so you want to go as high as possible.

3. Member

Re: Alabama rig braid or mono? (somerdink)

I don't understand the weight theory on this. I throw my huddleston deluxe with 25# mono which weighs alot more than my 2.5oz loaded a-rig.

Anyone else have any opinions on this?

minimum 50-65 lb braid is what I have been hearing also. I wouldn't use mono on any heavy baits, especially an A rig that I have atleast 40 bucks invested in. Plus the mono might leave you with a disadvantage with all of that extra stretch when setting the hook.

25# P-Line CXX is what I have been throwing mine on and it works awesome. My tourney partner has lost two A-Rigs because of 65# Power Pro backlashing and snapping when casting.

6. Member
    I have been using 65lb power pro and 25lb Pline CXX also I think the mono helps keep the fish from pulling loose where as braid will rip their mouths if you pull too hard on multiple or big fish

7. Member

Re: (crankmaster)

I use braid myself because I like the extra security when doubles or triples are on. You never know when you may have multiple big fish on and dont want to chance it. I guess its personal preference like with all decisions but thats mine.

8. Member

Re: (crankmaster)

Interesting mixed opinions on which line to use on this rig.

Decisions decisions...

9. Member
    #65 braid and loosen your drag. allow the fish to take the bait then use your thumb for spool tension to get a good hookset I only recal losing 1 fish and I've caught probably close to 100 I bet.

Re: (Agro)

I tried braid because it was the recommended choice. That lasted about half of a day. Switched over to 20 lb. mono and was able to cast easier. I also didn't lose any fish because of stretch.... it ain't 8 lb. test ya know! I also believe that mono allows me to get these contraptions un-hung from trees and brush if I use the line-snapping technique commonplace with crankbaits. Good luck!
    WashCo Tournament Series

Hey Agro, let us know what you think of that Powell rod, I've been eyeballin those myself.

I use braid, lots of timber in the lakes down here, with 65# braid and I use jigheads with bendable hooks, I can usually pull the rig out of a snag, may have to replace a jighead, but that beats losing the rig. I can also make long casts easily with braid.

Re: Alabama rig braid or mono? (FlippinCrazy)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by FlippinCrazy &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">25# P-Line CXX is what I have been throwing mine on and it works awesome. My tourney partner has lost two A-Rigs because of 65# Power Pro backlashing and snapping when casting.</td></tr></table>

Reason why it backlashes and snaps is the spool tension is too light causing the spool to overrun. Tighten it down and you'll have a long smooth controlled cast.

The braid is better cause often you'll have to straighten a hook to get it loose. For that purpose - I'll take 65# braid over mono any day. I also use lighter wire hooks on my jigheads and back the drag off as the braid and my pole have no "give". I've had fish straighten hooks till I learned that trick. But I haven't lost a "rig" to getting hung up.

13. Member

Re: (Quillback)

I threw the powell rod yesterday for the first time using my own homemade a-rigs. This rod is perfect for these! I can get plenty of distance and it had alot of power when pulling in my 17 bass for the day.

Matched it with a Curado 300E and 25# mono.

Loved it!

14. Member
    Any updated ideas on braid vs mono vs fluro on arig?
    Where are the BIG ones? When are we going?
    LOOKING for a Great deal on a Slightly used 20-21' Boat.

#20lb fluoro for me
    Chris Beverly
    2005 Champion 206 Mercury Verado 275!!!

16. Member
    20 lb copoly is all you need.

17. Member
    20lb - 25lb mono works just fine, your jig heads generally have a light wire so you can bend them out if needed. Anytime I throw the rig I have a lure retriever made up of a large weighted treble hook on a trot line that you can clip on to your line, lower down and retrieve the arig.

18. Member
    30 lb. Sunline.

19. Member
    20# straight fluorocarbon
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP
    Mercury 250 4S ProXS

20. Member
    60 lb braid for me. Too many trees down here, you’ll lose rigs otherwise. Casting ease is a bonus.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast