Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I like 20 pound fluoro

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fluke1987 View Post
    minimum 50-65 lb braid is what I have been hearing also. I wouldn't use mono on any heavy baits, especially an A rig that I have atleast 40 bucks invested in. Plus the mono might leave you with a disadvantage with all of that extra stretch when setting the hook.
    I have been using and have a good bit of experience with this rig. We were throwing it the same weekend it "became famous" here in Guntersville. For what its worth here's what i have found. In the first years, the rigs weighed a ton because mostly used were 6 inch swimbaits and beefy swimbait hooks, so we all thought braid was the way to go. Now the rigs have become much lighter, smaller baits, smaller heads etc. We started with braid and found many issues. The main one is the braid digging when fighting fish, and then you don't think to pull a lot of it off the spool and re wind it in, resulting in the line breaking in the spool on casts and losing the rigs. And we lost a ton early on. Ever since we have tried several lines, and i have a few friends that i would put up there with anyone on the intricacies of this rig, and we all have discovered that 25# Big game is the best all around line for them. Its plenty strong, never breaks, stretch has not been an issue, hook up to landing ration is near 100%, and just as a bonus its super cheap. I don't know everything or try to pretend to, but have put in a lot of hours with this thing and i would highly recommend big game. We have used flouro with good results as well, but the extra expense has no benefits that i have found, do to stretch not being an issue at all. I'm not even sure, if the little bit of stretch in mono isn't a plus to hooking the bass. Hope this helps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12