Thread: Crankbait Help

Crankbait Help

Im in the process of trying to get better throwing moving baits to find fish.

What types and colors of cranks should I buy to get a good foundation of baits untill i can really dial in and get specific on the different bodies of water?

Just looking for some staples to get me started. I could see where buying cranks could end up in a lot of wasted money

2. Moderator

Re: Crankbait Help (Moneyshot)

To simplify colors...A shad pattern for clear to stained water and chartreuse with black or blue back or fire tiger for dirty water...and a craw pattern, usually for spring time..

From there, depends on depth, cover, season.

A good squarebill for shallow water is a staple...take your pick..I like the Lucky Craft RC 1.5 but there are a ton of others...Excalibur XCS 100, Strike King KVD, Spro Fat John, etc.

Mid-depths, I find to be very personal prefernce/regional location/seasonal related. We throw a lot of Storm Wiggle Warts, early spring..along with some Rapala Shad Raps in colder water.

If you have a deep, structure related pattern in the summer, you have a ton of options...Norman DD-22, Lucky Craft D-20, Strike King Seried 5 & 6 (XD), Fat Free Shad, Luhr Jensen Hot Lips, Rapala DT-16/20...I like a chart./blue, citrus shad, or sexy shad for this.
    Steve

3. Member

Re: Crankbait Help (steve1206)

Plain white is a good color also.

4. Member
    great response Steve , have you been going thru my crank box?

5. Moderator

Re: (stratosjoe)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by stratosjoe &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">great response Steve , have you been going thru my crank box?</td></tr></table>

I think Ive owned every crankbait ever made...and narrowed down to this (plus some more)... One thing I did leave out is lipless cranks, which we don't throw a ton right around here...I've also used just about every one ever made, and find myselftying on the Red-eye shad in sexy or chart sexy most often. I love the LC LV-7 colors, but they don't have as much vibration...more finesse-like or subtle.
    Steve

6. Member
    I throw the DT6 and DT 10 mostly. They are a solid bait at a fair price if you want balsa. I upsize the hooks with KVD Mustads.

Green Tiger, Bluegill, and Silver are about it for me. I slaughtered Walleye on that Bluegill bait this spring, including a 6+lber.

For a change up, the x-rap shad has it's place.

7. Member
    I love the white bandits

Re: Crankbait Help (Moneyshot)

you would be fine if you stuck with nothing but bandits. i have way too many crankbaits and end up throwing a bandit 90% of the time. as far as colors, shad are always shad colored. crawfish are crawfish colored and bluegill are always bluegill colored. if the bass are not eating 1 of these 3 things they are not eating or are dead. throw in a few chartreuse baits for real dirty water and you've got it covered. most of the colors out there are to catch you, not fish. no need to spend a ton of money if you just stick to the basics.

9. Member

Re: Crankbait Help (paw paw)

bandit , rebel craw,mans minus 1, lc 1.5 are my first choices everytime