Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Situation=Solution

Hi Guys:

I've got a new section in BASS Times called Situation=Solution (the first one is in the June issue) in which I give the pro a tough fishing situation and he describes how he solves the situation with a particular lure and presentation.
    I'm looking for more situations for this section so if you know of any tough fall and wintertime situations that you would like a Bassmaster Elite Series pro to solve, feel free to send them my way and maybe your situation will be included in one of the future issues.
    Thanks in advance for your input.

John Neporadny
    BASS Times Senior Writer

2. Banned

Re: Situation=Solution (jnoutdoors)

Good to see you finally made it to the boards, John. Welcome, I'm sure these guys can help you out.

3. Arkansas Fishing Moderator cmclairday2's Avatar

Welcome to BBC John! That should be a great article, I'm sure I'll be contributing a question every now and then..
    '02 Gambler Outlaw
    '02 Mercury 200 EFI 2.5L

Welcome John!!

Derek Chance
    2021 Nitro Z19 Pro 200 Mercury ProXs
    BTS and KVD Line and Lure

5. Member

Re: Situation=Solution (20_lb_sack)

David:

Thanks for the welcome. Hope you can think of a situation that the pros can ponder.

John

6. Member

Guys:

Thanks for the warm welcome. If you have some situations fire them off ASAP.

john

7. Member

Here's one I would have:

1) You're fishing on what seems like a great day and you get a rainshower (leave out the thunder and lightning) out of the blue. How should that change your approach and what lures/presentations work the best?

If you want to know the season, go with a summer time shower (like we get in florida all the time.)

Patrick Mangold
    Reel Knights Bass Team Coach -- Florida Collegiate Bass Series Director -- Secret Lures Pro Staff
    Deep South Fishing Rods Pro Staff -- Hatcams.com Pro Staff -- StayNCharge Pro Staff
    BassBoatCentral -- TheB*******s -- Florida Bass Networks -- CollegeFishingZone
    Follow me on Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/CFLCoangler

8. Member

Re: Situation=Solution (CFLCoangler)

CFLCoangler:

Thanks for the response. Will keep it on file for a summertime situation. Need to know what lure you would be using before the storm and what type of structure and cover you would be fishing prior to the storm? This will help the pro decide what adjustments he would have to make after the storm.

John Neporadny

9. Member

Fishing open water with a lipless crankbait.

Patrick Mangold
    Reel Knights Bass Team Coach -- Florida Collegiate Bass Series Director -- Secret Lures Pro Staff
    Deep South Fishing Rods Pro Staff -- Hatcams.com Pro Staff -- StayNCharge Pro Staff

Here John, Had this happen last week.

Short night derby tourney on LOZ. Don't have fish located, just relying on experience. get to first spot and catch 17+ lbs in first 2 ours of 3.5 hour tourney. One after another, then feeding stops and quit getting bit (dd22) switch to jig and c-rig fluke, and get a couple more bites, but fish are done feeding and not active. Basically got pretty lucky with timing on the spot.

With 17lbs we knew we would be in contention for the tourney, but knew 18-20 lbs would be better.

would you stay where you are and hope they come back up to feed before tourney is over or move and try to find more fish (remember don't have any located)

Derek Chance

11. Member

Re: Situation=Solution (dchance)

Derek:

Thanks for the situation. I'll keep it on file for next summer's situations.
    Got any thing that puzzles you in October, November or December that you'd like to see how the pros solve?

John

Sure, wintertime in the ozarks (mainly LOZ and Pomme). There are many tournaments in the wintertime that I do not get to prefish. Without fish already located, and after doing the norm (jerkbait, jerkbait, jerkbait, and jig) for a few hours without any luck on the typical structures ( bluffs, steep banks, channel drops, etc,) what are some wintertime "secrets" to catch fish and salvage a limit.

for example, I saw Zona's show one Sat. and he was on Grand in cold weather. He talked about the type of bank (slow gradual taper and gravel or chunk rock) I had not heard this, I was thought bluffs, etc. were more typical. And he was throwing a flat crankbait w/ a tight wiggle. Just got me thinking about other things to do than the usual jerkbait and jig routine.

Derek Chance

13. Member

I'd like to hear how the pros deal with cold dirty water, like Truman.Let's say below 50*.Besides looking for the clearest water!

14. Member

Suggestion for Oct, Nov... Cold fronts. Gonna happen, wind and temp. dropping. Happens every year, darn it.

15. Arkansas Fishing Moderator cmclairday2's Avatar

I'm going to pin this one. This could generate a long list of questions from our members.
    '02 Gambler Outlaw
    '02 Mercury 200 EFI 2.5L

16. Member

Re: Situation=Solution (cmclairday2)

one thats not related to a particular time of year but happens all the time is:

what do you do when you've located fish and found a pattern that is based on running water (run off, gates open at dam, etc.) and come tx time there is no more current.

Patrick Mangold

I think that this is one of the best ideas that i have seen yet. Been wishing someone would do this sort of thing for a long time. It would be nice if you would put this on a website. The only other thing that I would like to see more of is "How to's". Such as How to make a spinnerbait mold; How to make a jig mold; How to make a spinnerbait. I could go on & on. I know that there are several sites that already show a few of these things, but some of them arer not detailed very well. Anyway, I think that what you are doing is great. Keep it up.

Re: Situation=Solution (kybob)

2015 Legend V20
    250 ProXS
    Lowrance HDSLIVE 12s/16
    BBC Member since 2003

19. Member

got a good situation for you. post turnover lake in the northeast. water temps are not cold ( around 52-54 degrees) smallmouth dominate the lakes fish population and are suspended and seem to be scattered. I have caught them vertical jigging but it is a long tedious process finding them. what would the pros do to locate these fish and what methods do they use to catch them. always wonder if they would fish a ton of spots or do they rely on the few spots that are producing fish ? thanks !

20. Member

alright
    your in florida and its a day with coldfront conditions and youve fliped evereything and thrown a carolina rig from early mornin to mid day and you 3 hours left before weigh in

WALKER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast