Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    6 Years later your post is still giving insight into shallow cranking. Thumbs up
    2008 Nitro Z-7, Mercury Optimax 150
    ZLF B.A.S.S.
    ZERO LIMIT FISHING

New member just wanted to say foundthis very informative, friend of mine just gave up fishing for golfand I brought of double sided box of shallow running crank baits fromhim I plan on getting better at this technique.

3. Member
    very good post Mark

4. Member
    crank baits are good year round

5. Member
    Hard to believe this article is almost 8 years old. A lot of things have changed since then but shallow cranking techniques hasn't. Great stuff! Thanks

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Triton Chris View Post
    Add this bait to your arsenal

I am just reading a few posts here but I swear Randy Howell 2014 Bassmaster Classic Winner in Guntersville used this shallow water bait on final day to win. Just look at his final day video and his technique here:

7. Member
    Great post, I would also like to add a crank that has worked wonders for me, the rapala crankin' Rap squarebill.

8. Member
    Great info. Years ago I fished with the old wooden bomber lures with metal bill. No longer being made so no I make my own. Red cedar,with brass bill and eagle claw hooks. I am sill learning how to paint and finish. I took me six months to learn how to turn and balance lure. Runs about six to eight feet max, slow retreive. 20150930_131127_resized.jpg20150930_131048_resized.jpg

Great stuff. Thank you for taking the time to pen this down.

-RW
    Phoenix 920 Pro XP
    Mercury 250R
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112# iPilot Link
    Garmin GPSMap 1243xsv + 1243xsv @ Helm
    Garmin GPSMap 7616xsv + 1243xsv / Dual Livescope+ @ Bow

10. Member
    Guys
    Don't rule out the small cranks. I will fish a .5 KVD right off the bank. Hold my rod high, as soon as it dives, drop the rod and let it rip. I add a VMC EGW treble hook to the rear.
    Use a soft tip rod, so when it hits anything, it will load and BIG time deflect the small crank! Great fun!

11. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I am surprised no one has commented on this post in years. We all can see when we walk down the aisles that shallow cranks are huge these days. When I see a new color or style I have to grab it! For me the KVD 1.5s still work very well except for the fact the front hook will grab the bill of the bait sometimes.

I read this thread cause I just put 2 more in my box after going to Dicks looking for the zman pop’n frogz...they didn’t have them. I caught this little lady the day after I got my boat on June 2 running a 1.5 over hydrilla in a lake the previous owner of my boat said not to bother to fish cause there’s “nothing in the lake”...he was surprised when I showed him the pic! He made me send it to him cause he said the neighbors wouldn’t believe him lol

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Casslaw; 08-08-2018 at 03:33 PM. Reason: spelling
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

12. Member
    So i have a question. When cranking shallow wood, 4’ and less, and i dont mean a laydown here and there, i mean a heavily wooded bankline, how in the world do you make more that 2 casts without it hanging up? Tried this the other day and just got really frustrated. Do you highstick the rod? Crank slower? Was using 1.5 shallow crank. Even tried a bagley balsa bait and it was worse.

Thanks for the information Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Ladr6 View Post
    So i have a question. When cranking shallow wood, 4’ and less, and i dont mean a laydown here and there, i mean a heavily wooded bankline, how in the world do you make more that 2 casts without it hanging up? Tried this the other day and just got really frustrated. Do you highstick the rod? Crank slower? Was using 1.5 shallow crank. Even tried a bagley balsa bait and it was worse.

Its a feel thing for me...I just kinda finesse it through it that makes sense. I try to maintain the "connection" with the bait itself and I try not to reckless just reel it back in. Its hard to explain but I am almost just dragging it through the wood. When I it something I let the bait naturally deflect. I might try to film a quick video of doing it as its hard to explain. Sorry for not being able to be more clear about what I mean.

15. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladr6 View Post
    cut the front barb off
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

Well done and very informative. Makes me want to get the Dobyns crank bait rods out!

8.04/6.23/5.49. $$/4.90/4.89/4.71/4.40...Spro 65 Hunter series...front red treble and rear triple grip... today was the 4.90...
    short rod, rod tip down, 5:1:1 Laws reel...also caught big crappie and many trash fish...all in last 15 months...club win and big bass $ in the mix too...

2018 Z19/200 Optimax 2 stroker 24x3 Fury Ultrex 112
    Lowrance HDS 12/9 Lives with 3 in 1 ducers

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345