Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Member

Re: Shallow crankin' 101 (Mark Perry)

Re: Shallow crankin' 101 (HuntingCreekKing)

Lucky Craft BDS 3 and 4 sizes and their RC series in the 3.5 size. Also like the Strike King Series 4S quite a bit

3. Member

Great information! I noticed some of the lures you mentioned weigh a 1/4 oz. What's the trick to get these to cast a good distance on a baitcaster?

4. Banned

Re: Shallow crankin' 101 (Kramr)

Shimano Chronarch 51mG on a pistol grip light action rod, 10# BPS Excel Mono... works for me

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/...etail
    This rod in medium light should do the trick for you.

Modified by Terry Anderson at 8:03 PM 5/1/2009

Re: Shallow crankin' 101 (Kramr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kramr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Great information! I noticed some of the lures you mentioned weigh a 1/4 oz. What's the trick to get these to cast a good distance on a baitcaster?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Honestly a lot of practice and a quality reel. I tend to usea stiffer action rod but with a fast tip which I think helps as well.

6. Member

I got a pflueger Echelon on a 6'6" M rod. I got a 1/4 oz weight jig head with 2" crappie grubs and I use that setup to throw into the trash in early spring for crappie. (25+ yds)
    The combo is about $69 at Sportsman's Warehouse. I've got two of them. One to float worm and one to throw light weight swimbaits when bass fishing.

Good Luck Hope you can find the right setup.

__________________________________________________ ______________________

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot...

That Fine line Floats, has a live well, is powered by Evinrude, and goes 58 MPH.

Re: Shallow crankin' 101 (BadBassTriton)

i have been doing this for years. it has taken over as my, active fish bait, of choice. my fav. lure for this is the square bill bandit lure, 100 i think. square bills don't get hugup as much. slow retreve reel. 4.7 is my fav. learn to raise and lower your rod tip to avoid hangups.long rod best. bang lure into everything. i love to throw it into heavy wood. i never throw a med diver anymore. it is the 300 or 100, when throwin small baits. if i want something in the middle i use either and vary speed to get depth i want. i just make sure hooks are good and sharp and i never remove any hooks. i need all the hooks i can get. i never liked the sub shallow baits.i also remove the split ring where you tie the line and use a saftey snap. it keeps the line from getting in the split and cutting it. this is just me.

8. Member

Re: Shallow crankin' 101 (gambling209)

Awesome write-up!

I have a bunch of crankbaits but I rarely use them because I don't know much about how to effectively fish them. I am going to have to print all of these responses & start using this immediately & see what happens.

9. Member

Re: Shallow crankin' 101 (pitcherjlt)

Great tutorial. This is probably one of my favorite fishing tactics is shallow cranking. Alot of anglers automatically jump to fishing deeper structure, especially if its hot out. This isnt always the case, you can catch plenty of fish cranking less than 5 feet of water. Even less than a foot. One thing I dont think you covered, but you may have, is running a crankbait that dives a little too deep for the depth youre fishing. Bounce that crank off the bottom, and deflect it off shallow stumps, and riprap. I love doing this. Of course, it results in a few snags, but the payoff is far greater in my experiences.

I simply love this write up..Everytime I pick up a shallow Crank I think of this article..Great write Bud!!
    2015 Legend V20
    250 ProXS
    Lowrance HDSLIVE 12s/16
    BBC Member since 2003

Re: Shallow crankin' 101 (Triton Chris)

Caught this one on a shallow squarebill H2O Crank ..

2015 Legend V20
    250 ProXS
    Lowrance HDSLIVE 12s/16
    BBC Member since 2003

I went and bough 8 more of those bait on the way home..lol
    2015 Legend V20
    250 ProXS
    Lowrance HDSLIVE 12s/16
    BBC Member since 2003

13. Member

Thanks Mark

14. Member

Thanks for the tip I haven't seen anyone up here use it.

15. Member

Re: Shallow crankin' 101 (fishintroop)

i've used the technique in smaller lakes and farm ponds for years now and love it. Im just starting to fish the bigger lakes and rivers and glad to know it works. My fav bait though is the berkley freenzy series in the shallow and medium depth model. Hard to find any more but i cant count the number of 6 - 9 lb fish ive caught on it in less than 8 ft of water.

16. Member

Sweet. That's a grown one!

17. Member

Good info MARK!!

18. Marc David

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by Triton Chris &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">Caught this one on a shallow squarebill H2O Crank ..

</td></tr></table>

Great fish

19. Member

Excellent read...thanks!

I have a question... I was wanting to know if you do any shallow cranking on clear relatiely shallow rivers this time of year. If so, I am pretty sure this technique will work well on creek mouths but was wondering what other areas I should try?

Re: Shallow crankin' 101 (RazorBassin)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by RazorBassin &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">Excellent read...thanks!

I have a question... I was wanting to know if you do any shallow cranking on clear relatiely shallow rivers this time of year. If so, I am pretty sure this technique will work well on creek mouths but was wondering what other areas I should try?</td></tr></table>

It is very effective in river systems in super shallow water. You may want to try a wakebait type crankbait though. If the water is ultra clear just remember to make longer casts and try to reel as fast as you can without causing the bait to roll to take advantage of a reaction bite.You can also go with a smaller profile bait such as the RC 0.5 if needed. Best advice I can give is to just try it out.
    I'd hit eddys, larger rocks and any wood cover you can find.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast