Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member

Re: Shallow crankin' 101 (That'llDoPig)

Excellent info!

07\' Pro Team 190 w/ 90 Opti

Fishing is like <U>sex</U>. It\'s not a big deal <U>unless </U>your not doing it! ! ! I <U>do</U> it all the time.

Re: Shallow crankin' 101 (Rocket256)

Thanks

Re: Shallow crankin' 101 (Mark Perry)

And it's getting that time of year again. Good read Mark and makes a lot of since.

4. Member

Re: Shallow crankin' 101 (bassmanbutch)

Thanks a lot Mark,good info

5. Member

Re: Shallow crankin' 101 (dam)

ive been doin that for a several yrs and recently i went on a outin one of my friends & couldnt bye a bite in 10-18ft range, and the water temp is 90deg, and he had previously caught fish in a couple days b-4, he knows im a shallow fisherman, and sometimes i actually think he thinks im lyin to him when i tell him im catchin em in 1ft of water, my go to baits are the old bandits "footloose"(six inches of water wake ), an manns bay one minus, Mark you gave up a good pattern, and i comend you for it , i used it for long time now and now you let the cat out of the bag !!.... ...guys use it, ive caught many of 3-6lb fish doin this...

6. Member

Balsa freak here..Good article...I am with you i love the shallow crankin, email me and i will send you a balsa plug that i believe would make you love it even more. those bass will stay shallow all year, but for me i love the big crankbait bite too.
    bcrouse4@yahoo.com
    throwing that shallow crankbait, for those not wanting to spend a ton of money on a rod, bass pro graphite series M 7' this is a two piece rod that i Epoxy you can usually get this rod for 19.99, i own a castaway designed for this application but i am tellin you this is all i have bought for shallow crankin since i found it

Re: Shallow crankin' 101 (DinkyDonker)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DinkyDonker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Balsa freak here..Good article...I am with you i love the shallow crankin, email me and i will send you a balsa plug that i believe would make you love it even more. those bass will stay shallow all year, but for me i love the big crankbait bite too.
    bcrouse4@yahoo.com
    throwing that shallow crankbait, for those not wanting to spend a ton of money on a rod, bass pro graphite series M 7' this is a two piece rod that i Epoxy you can usually get this rod for 19.99, i own a castaway designed for this application but i am tellin you this is all i have bought for shallow crankin since i found it</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks.

8. Member

Great post Mark!

9. Member

Too go along with this, what kind of spinning reels are you guys using to throw these with. i have found that i burn a bunch of the middle price reels up. i finally got rid of my line twist by buying a bass pro shops (mag spool spinning reel, i believe they got it for 59.00 the silver one) i have been impressed with the casting and again no line twisting, but it could be a little smoother. i am scared to spend high dollar on a spinning reel for shallow cranking, or is there one out there that if a man spent the money would be happy,

Re: Shallow crankin' 101 (DinkyDonker)

Add this bait to your arsenal

2015 Legend V20
    250 ProXS
    Lowrance HDSLIVE 12s/16
    BBC Member since 2003

11. Member

Mark great post this will help me get back into crankbaits for they used to be my #1 bait and i stead away from them will get back into them ..........

12. Member

Re: Shallow crankin' 101 (bassmasterfitz)

Mark:
    Love the article - well done. Only thing I would add, is I change out my CB split rings to the ultimate lure saver titanium rings. this way if I get hung up, a slow steady pull and all I give up is the treble hook - way better than a LC or custome painted CB. Great Job!

Jack
    Jack

2005 Ranger 520 DX
    2005 Mercury 225 Optimax Pro XS
    Mercury Trophy 24
    Mk Ultrex 110 Ipilot link
    Powerpole 8'
    Hb helix 9 di S/N
    Hb helix 10 si. S/N
    Garmin 10 UHD W/ Panoptix

13. Member

Shallow cranking RIP-RAP

I haven't tried the shallow cranking approach in wood that much but I have successfully used it on rip-rap during the summer and fall seasons. I'll position my boat semi-parallel to the rocks and make an extra long cast with a Lucky Craft RC 1.5 on a 7'0 medium-heavy casting rod with a 5.4:1 reel and 15 lb. test P-line Flourocarbon. The square-bill lip on the RC 1.5 really helps deflect those trebles away from the rocks. During the summer, I use a fast retrieve and try to use colors that really "match the hatch." I usually don't stress out over trying to match the crankbait to the size of the baitfish in the area because I feel that bass tend to go after the larger baitfish in the school because they slightly stand out more and would take up more room in Mr. Bass' stomach. When I set the hook, I use a sweep-set and reel faster so the bass can't take cover in a crevice or pile of rocks. Well I hope this helps someone! Tight lines!

14. Member

another great bait for the guys on a budget is the speed trap they are cheap and will really produce. these are a very popular bait in the california delta that is were I was introduced to them and we threw them a ton as well as the small bomber in red craw. the speed trap will break fairly easy if you slap a rock or post with them but there only 3 bucks.
    freedom isn\'t free but the U.S. MARINES will pay most of your share!! S/F MAY THE LORD BE WITH THE 2/7 ECHO 2ND PLT.

15. Member

Re: Shallow crankin' 101 (lost buckaroo)

great article Mark. Just to add one thing that helps me when cranking brush is to use the rod to pull the bait through the brush instead of the reel. This definately helps me avoids hanging up as much.

Mark...One of the absolute best baits to use in this type of shallow water fishing is a Heddon Sonic...If you can find them. Check out ebay.

17. Member

Re: Shallow crankin' 101 (Chris Brewton)

Nice write up, Now where's the deep crankin 101

18. Member

Great Article Mark.

Casey

19. Member

Thats a great article... thanks for the info..
    Michael
    Big Hammer Swimbaits
    Izorline International

20. Member

Re: Shallow crankin' 101 (ocmike1)

Nice write up, In the past Ive been throwin manns 1- baits, but have noticed bigger baits catch bigger fish (simple math i guess) what are some good big bodied shallow running baits

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast