Thread: Colors

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Colors

Ever wonder where some of the colors we use came from? Many are meant to represent local baitfish or sunfish, but others are meant to mimic crawfish.

Whether we see them or not, most of the waters we fish have crawfish in them.

Here are just a few of the many, many crawfish that are found around the country. These photos are from North Carolina, but some of them are amazingly similar to some of the most popular colors among anglers no matter where they fish.

Maybe it will help explain why these colors seem to produce so well for us.

Notice how much these look like the Watermelon Red Flake and Green Pumpkin colors?

Still wonder why red and orange colors work so well in late winter and early spring?Might even help explain Bubblegum and Merthiolate colors.

How much does this look like Watermelon Seed?

How about Pumpkinseed or Cinnamon black flake with a chartreuse tail?

To see more of these different varieties take a look at this site from North Carolina Wildlife:

http://www.ncwildlife.org/pg07....html

See, sometimes those colors really do look like something, even if we don't see them Maybe it helps explain why on some days the addition of a chartreuse, blue or even a red tail seems to entice strikes.

We all know how deadly a jig can be year round as it is most often used to imitate these creatures. During the colder months however, it becomes even more deadly because it represents a big, and relatively easy meal for lethargic bass.

Lifetime Member of BBC

2. Member

Re: Colors (Bass Hawk 87)

Awesome pictures Don. The crawfish are an important part of the bass diet. I usually stick with basic colors as I am not much of a color guy. Basic browns and greens dominate my boxes. The jig bite is on pretty good right now but its so deep, I know they can not see any color. Just movement.

Ryan Coleman's Lake Lanier Pro Guide Service

3. Member

Re: Colors (LanierSpots)

Great post Don .... makes all the sense in the world doesnt it !!!!!!!

4. Member

Re: Colors (Tr21Pd)

Awesome pics and even more insightful thoughts about color selection. I've found myself sticking more to the "basics" as far as colors go lately. Even with that though - the pictures sure do help to explain why there are so many "varieties" of the basic colors. Guess that's why the littlest bit of color change i.e. dipping a tail in chartreuse, etc. might get the bite that other times might not.

Neat thread Don! Now if I could only find the crawfish before I go fishing - sure would cut down on some of my time picking and choosing colors!

5. Member

Re: Colors (deavofish)

I think Ryan is right. When the bass are deep, even in clear water, a dark color works best, and they probably all look pretty much the same.

In shallower areas though I think sometimes a slight change in the color makes a huge difference, such as adding that bit of chart or orange etc

Lifetime Member of BBC

Thanks for posting the picture's.

Re: Colors (Hardcore)

Nice!!
    2015 Legend V20
    250 ProXS
    Lowrance HDSLIVE 12s/16
    BBC Member since 2003

8. Member

Re: Colors (Chris Brewton)

Good stuff Don, I wish I knew more about their lifecycle and what the color change is during different seasons.

9. Banned

Re: Colors (hobie)

NICE pics... thanks!

I noticed that on one of the 'dads, it has blue eyes..... hmmm. I put blue 3-D eyes on my homemade black/blue jigs. Maybe I will put them on the green pumpkin jigs for a little experiment..

10. Member

Re: Colors (hobie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hobie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Good stuff Don, I wish I knew more about their lifecycle and what the color change is during different seasons.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have always been told that the Craws have a hatch during the full moon cycle every month, and most times that period seems to be the most productive for me, when using craw colors and jigs

Lifetime Member of BBC

ttt

12. Member

There are lots of web resources where you can find out which crayfish you might have in your lakes. Knowing their colors is likely to help refine your color picks. I believe it's much easier to fool a mature bass if they see the natural colors they've been stalking.

This site lists of crayfish species by state:
    http://iz.carnegiemnh.org/index.htm

Or go directly to the USA map and click on your sate: http://iz.carnegiemnh.org/cray...e.htm

Click on each species. Some have photos but you can try copy/pasting the species into Google. When you find a photo print it or save it on the computer. If you have a really good printer print them out at high resolution then cut the images out and put in a page saver or however you prefer to make a little book to keep in the boat. I lay skirt strands on the photo to try getting it just right.

I go at night a lot, and while at the ramp I'll shine a flashlight hoping to spot those ruby red eyes. Use a little dip net to catch one and take it home. In a jar of water in the sunlight you can see which species was active and what stage it is in, whether molting or not, and compare the live colors to the photo colors. Their color in water is different from colors in the air. You might have to lift a few flat rocks or a sunken board to uncover one. You can then look that species up and learn it's habits, what it feeds on, how big it gets, etc.

Jim

no wonder green pumpkin red works so well here in NC!!!...First pic is pretty close to that...

James Poirrier
    (Ret) MSgt Ammo Troop USAF
    Still "Providing the enemy the opportunity to die for his country"

14. Member

Re: Colors (LaCajuninNC)

but where is the black/blue craw and why is that color so productive?

15. Member

Re: Colors (tuckerabbi)

Most craws take on a camouflaged color scheme. Black/blue are contrasting colors a bass can see easier in poor light.

Jim

16. Member

Great pics! They look just like the jigs I don't catch fish on!

17. Member

Re: Colors (FishinSwabbie)

that is some really good pictures and info there. I like that thanks.

18. Member

I through more 4 inch craw worms than any other plastic.My favorite colors are watermelon/blue and camo. There are only a couple of states in the US that dont have crawfish.I have caught more big fish on a 4 inch guido bug than any other bait.Zoom baits now has a big critter craw that is identicle to the original guido bug and it comes in a variety of colors.

19. Member

i was fishing a rip rap bank at west point, Ga this fall. there was a guy and his son lookin for plugs on the bank. i seen them pull a crawfish out of the water from about 15 yards away, you could see the blue/purple claws, belly like you were holding it. i was amazed when i pulled up to these guys and looked at this thing first hand. I know why root beer is my fav shallow crankin plug, and why an ol fishin great in my home town loves that flippin purple chunk.
    Great post, bass hawk

20. Member

thanks for the pics great post.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast