Thread: Colors

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Colors (Bass Hawk 87)

Check out This Video Of FLW National Guard Pro Michael Murphy explaining Crawfish Colors, So Much info i couldnt jot it down fast enough, had to watch a couple times!

http://m.youtube.com/index?des...SZRas
    Trimmed Out & Truckinnnn!!!!

Bass see 24 colors and

Generally, green, red, orange will do the job...except for shad colors...

Here the main prey are shad, bream and crawfish...of course when varies...

What did Jimmy Houston as Roland Martin when they first fished together?
    One of the 2 questions was...'Why do you have red on EVERY bait Roland?
    Answer..."because big fish like it"...nuff said for me...
    plus its a "releaser"
    as I had in grad school animal behavior...means (I presume)...
    that certain color often releases an aggressive or feeding response.
    Just look at the huge percentage of baits with some shade of red...

2018 Z19/200 Optimax 2 stroker 24x3 Fury Ultrex 112
    Lowrance HDS 12/9 Lives with 3 in 1 ducers

3. Member

Re: Colors (Bass Hawk 87)

Here is a link to crawfish colors.

http://www.pixelpayback.com/cr....html

4. Member
    Great post Don

Great pics and info!!! Thanks!!!
    JASON BLOODSWORTH

RANGER 188 VS-YAMAHA 150

6. Member
    awesome

7. Member
    [QUOTE=Bass Hawk 87;1294755]Ever wonder where some of the colors we use came from? Many are meant to represent local baitfish or sunfish, but others are meant to mimic crawfish.

Whether we see them or not, most of the waters we fish have crawfish in them.

Here are just a few of the many, many crawfish that are found around the country. These photos are from North Carolina, but some of them are amazingly similar to some of the most popular colors among anglers no matter where they fish.

Maybe it will help explain why these colors seem to produce so well for us.

Notice how much these look like the Watermelon Red Flake and Green Pumpkin colors?

Still wonder why red and orange colors work so well in late winter and early spring?Might even help explain Bubblegum and Merthiolate colors.

How much does this look like Watermelon Seed?

How about Pumpkinseed or Cinnamon black flake with a chartreuse tail?

To see more of these different varieties take a look at this site from North Carolina Wildlife:

http://www.ncwildlife.org/pg07....html

See, sometimes those colors really do look like something, even if we don't see them Maybe it helps explain why on some days the addition of a chartreuse, blue or even a red tail seems to entice strikes.

We all know how deadly a jig can be year round as it is most often used to imitate these creatures. During the colder months however, it becomes even more deadly because it represents a big, and relatively easy meal for lethargic bass.[/QUO

8. Member
    Nice lots of good information here as always. ! Thanks

I hear you...after many years a a few thousand I decided to stick with dark green and dark red colors to mimic crawfish...
    they are green when they grow fastest in the late spring...that seemed to work much better for me...

Part of my fishing over 35 years 700+ events has been to give away or have re-painted many colors and cull down to 3-4 per bait...
    it can drive a man crazy to have 12 colors and use 9...then wonder all the way home about the other 3....slow days are like that...
    I think Gary Klein said "the man to fear is the on with a one small tackle box of baits he has caught quality bass on for years"...or words
    to that effect...

2018 Z19/200 Optimax 2 stroker 24x3 Fury Ultrex 112
    Lowrance HDS 12/9 Lives with 3 in 1 ducers

10. Member
    I think Gary Klein said "the man to fear is the on with a one small tackle box of baits he has caught quality bass on for years"...or words to that effect...
    Color is in the eye of the beholder.
    Couldn't agree more. Simple is as simple does when it comes to lure choices. For a great majority of lures, a few colors are all one needs - though for variety you can bring along more and still catch fish. Fortunately for me, I make many of my own lures - including soft plastics, and have tried many colors - most that have caught fish.

What fish see underwater as far as hue, color saturation, brightness and lightness is concerned, is far different than what humans see when seen up close under a bright light. Try seeing a color accurately at night or under low light conditions - can't happen.

What affects color underwater? : water clarity and filters (ie. suspended algae), time of day, cloud cover, shade and shadows, depth viewed and lure motion (ie. crankbait body-wobble). Chrome and mirror finishes are in a class by themselves visually speaking and dependent on backgrond reflection and flash.

For certain lures I prefer certain colors - no rhyme nor reason. I just stay with those lures that caught fish consistently in those colors. Fish IMO are too dumb to know what colors represent, whereas their senses that prompt fast reaction-stikes simply detect the moving object (animal or lure) and processes it. A robot could be programmed to do the same thing as a fish also with no thought possible: detect - track - attack swiftly.
    Last edited by SPOONMINNOW; 01-08-2023 at 08:14 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123